Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
gobstopper-day-scaled.jpg

Welcome to Gobstopper Day!

Gobstoppers, commonly called jawbreakers, are enjoyed for hours on end today, for it is Gobstopper Day! They are hard candies—ones so hard that they can't safely be bitten into, and they usually are round, being between one and three centimeters in diameter, but can be larger. Gobstoppers consist of layers that are different colors, and sometimes also different flavors. To make gobstoppers, layers of liquid sugar are deposited multiple times on a core that may be a gumball or a pressed ball of sugar. Natural and artificial flavors are added as well. The process is known as hot panning. It takes place in large heated pans that rotate and is completed in a few weeks' time.

SU News

(youtube.com; podcast; Inside Syracuse Basketball)

On this week's episode of Inside Syracuse Basketball, syracuse.com reporter Mike Waters and Jim Satalin bat around potential players who could one day join an exclusive club: having their Syracuse basketball jersey hang in the Dome rafters. Satalin is a former star parochial player at St. John the Baptist in Syracuse and at St. Bonaventure University. He later coached at his alma mater and at Duquesne before joining the radio broadcast team for SU games. In addition to Satalin, Waters polled dozens of former players for insight on who they think deserve to be honored by the university. See the full story: https://l.syracuse.com/N9AkJt

When ACC becomes 18-team basketball league, will it split into divisions? (PS; $; Waters)

Judging by the emails, texts and DM’s coming into the Mailbox, the conference realignment and the ACC’s recent expansion remain in the forefront of many readers’ minds these days.

Let’s face it, conference realignment is going to remain a hot topic for the days, months and years to come. We’ll take the questions as they come.

(If you have a question for the Mailbox, email it to mwaters@syracuse.com).

Q: Do you think they will break up the ACC into two 9-team divisions instead of one 18-team division?

Bill W.

Mike:
When Stanford, California and SMU join the ACC for the 2024-25 athletic year, the ACC’s membership will swell to 18 teams.

That’s a cumbersome number for a basketball schedule.

Would the ACC split into divisions? If it did, I’m guessing teams would play a round-robin schedule with 16 games against the other teams in the same division.

But what about the nine teams in the opposite division? Do teams from different divisions ever play each other?

I don’t think the ACC would go for it.

Y3YYCFH2G5ELNLLUPJWGWRYKLE.jpg

Chance Westry preparing for a big season at Syracuse - video (pennlive.com; video; Penn Live)

Chance Westry has already done more in his life through basketball than many hoopers could ever dream of. Whether he was playing side by side with Bronny James at Sierra Canyon or playing in a 3 on 3 tournament with the Migos at Snoop Dog’s house, Chance has lived one heck of a life already.

The Harrisburg native transferred this summer to Syracuse University to play for head coach Adrian Austry and the Syracuse Orangemen. If Austry continues to follow the legendary Jim Boeheim’s ways of primarily running a 2-3 zone defensively, Westry has the size at 6′5 and high basketball I.Q. to be a pesky defender that can cover a lot of ground.

I asked Westry what made him choose Syracuse over the laundry list of other schools that would of loved to add him to their team.

“It was something I was thinking about for a while.”

“Syracuse was one of the first schools to ever recruit me and it was a perfect fit at this point in my college career” said Westry.

Chance has been working hard on and off the court to prepare for the upcoming season. Westry said he was specifically focused on improving his shooting efficiency, especially the three ball.

“I work on all aspects of my game but me and my trainer have been putting in extra work on shooting in all different scenarios. Off the dribble, spot up, catch and shoot opportunities” said Westry.

“This season is big for me. I have high expectations of myself and am glad to be back where I was at a year ago before surgery. I’m ready to play the best basketball of my life.”

Check out some footage of Westry working out with trainer Bryan Majors below.

Syracuse Athletic's New Collective Orange United Boosts The Orange To New NIL Heights (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

On today's episode of Locked On Syracuse, Owen Valentine explores the new collective with Syracuse Athletics. Orange United, part of SANIL, has launched and aims to bring new NIL opportunities to student athletes. How important is this? Where can you contribute?

Other

IGHWS5XVLBHKPEV3676JFONODI.JPG

A Wegmans store is pictured at 3195 Monroe Ave., Pittsford, NY.Gary Walts | syracuse.com

Wegmans ranks No. 1 on list of best places to work in retail - again (PS; Herbert)

Wegmans Food Markets has been named one of the best places to work again.

The Upstate New York-based supermarket chain ranks No. 1 on Fortune’s 2023 list of the best places to work in retail, beating out big names like Target (No. 2), Publix (No. 6), Harbor Freight Tools (No. 9), Aldi (No. 15) and Dick’s Sporting Goods (No. 18). Costello’s Ace Hardware, headquartered in Long Island’s Deer Park, was the only other business based in New York state to make the large companies list at 19th overall.

“We love what we do, and it shows!” Wegmans’ official Facebook page said Tuesday. “Thanks Fortune and Great Place to Work US for naming us #1 on the list of 2023 Best Workplaces in Retail™. Congrats to our employees and all the other companies on the list!”

It’s the eighth year in a row that Wegmans has topped the rankings, based on surveys employees fill out about where they work. Wegmans also regularly makes Fortune’s overall list of the Best Companies to Work For, ranking No. 4 in April, and was named a top company for work-life balance, according to Forbes.