Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
US-Syracuse-Lincoln-1-525x394.jpg

Welcome to Lincoln's Birthday!

Abraham Lincoln, the 16th President of the United States, was born on February 12, 1809. Over the years, he has become known as one of the greatest American presidents of all time. At the time of his death, in 1865, many saw him as a martyr, and it wasn't too long afterward that his birthday began being observed informally. In the mid-1870s, Julius Francis of Buffalo, New York, began honoring Lincoln on his birthday and petitioned Congress to make the day a legal holiday.

But, as of 2019, Lincoln's Birthday is not, nor has it ever been, its own federal holiday. On the state level, a handful of states celebrate Lincoln's birthday on its actual date. In recent years, it has been celebrated as a state holiday in Ohio, Missouri, New York, Illinois, and Connecticut. It is celebrated as such in California as well, but since 2009, it has no longer been a paid holiday there. Some states, Indiana being one example, have officially celebrated Lincoln's birthday, but not on the actual date of his birth. In prior years, more states officially celebrated his birthday; twenty-four states celebrated it in 1940, and ten celebrated it in 1990.

SU News

An oral history of Tyler Ennis’ 2014 buzzer-beater against Pitt (DO; O'Brien)

Jim Boeheim was back in the Petersen Events Center, the home floor of the Pittsburgh men’s basketball team, on Jan. 9. Not as a coach, but as a color commentator for the ACC Network — his new gig since retiring from Syracuse.

Boeheim was in the “Oakland Zoo” to call a game between Pitt and Duke with his partners Wes Durham and Cory Alexander. But as Boeheim took his seat near midcourt in preparation to call the game, he happened to be sitting next to a season ticket holder who wanted to bring up the past.

The Pittsburgh fan brought up Tyler Ennis’ halfcourt buzzer-beater shot from nearly a decade ago.

“The season ticket holder was sitting right there,” Boeheim said. “He said, ‘I remember that shot!” And I said, ‘I know you do!’”

It wasn’t that hard for Boeheim to remember the shot, considering he honestly thought it was a shot a player makes once out of 100 attempts. Ennis’ heroics helped keep SU — the No. 1 team in the nation at that time — undefeated on Feb. 12, 2014.

The game and its ending highlighted a truly budding rivalry for the two teams who left the Big East together for the Atlantic Coast Conference. During this time, both Pitt and Syracuse were usually ranked and had physical, low scoring battles to boot. For some on SU, beating the Panthers meant the most to them, especially on their hostile home floor.

The make from Ennis went down as one of the greatest shots in Syracuse basketball history and reflected a time when the two rivals were vying for the top of college basketball polls. The game was the last time both schools faced each other as ranked teams.

Here is the story of that night from the players, coaches, team employees and media members who witnessed it. All titles and positions are from the 2013-14 season.

The rivalry

After he led Pitt to an Elite Eight appearance, Ben Howland left to coach at UCLA, ushering in the Jamie Dixon era in the Steel City. This immediately changed the dynamics of the rivalry between the Orange and Panthers. From 2003-2013, Syracuse went a combined 3-10 against Pittsburgh and lost eight straight to Pitt at one point. The games featured a lot of physical, low-scoring results, with SU averaging 64 points per contest during this decade. By the 2013-14 season, players and coaches lived for the rivalry.

Trevor Cooney, Syracuse guard: The Pittsburgh rivalry meant the most to me. That was a team that I definitely enjoyed playing.

James Robinson, Pittsburgh guard: It was always like grind-it-out, tough, old Big East basketball.

Nolan Hart, Syracuse walk-on: I felt like our biggest rival was Pitt just because those games just got a little bit chippier. Their fans and our fans just really didn’t like each other.

Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh head coach: It kind of built up over time. Obviously, we were the upstarts, they were the power in the conference. I got there in 1999. They were by far the best team or amongst the best. But I was there as the associate coach for four years, and then we got better.

Jim Boeheim, Syracuse head coach: The Big East was funny, we had different rivals. I mean, Georgetown was always our No. 1 rival. But we had a series of stretches with Pittsburgh.

Girard’s Emotional Return to Syracuse wasn’t Personal, it was Business (theclemsoninsider.com; Vandervort)

It was not personal.

That is what Joe Girard’s second half three-pointer with 10:26 left to silence the 20,000 Syracuse fans was to the former Orange star, who lifted Clemson to a much-needed 77-68 road victory in his return trip home Saturday to the JMA Wireless Dome in Syracuse, N.Y.

After two Judah Mintz jumpers trimmed what was once a 15-point Clemson lead to three points, Girard launched a long three from the left side to quickly put the Tigers back up six points, 55-49, with 10:26 to play.

On his way back down the court, he told the ‘Cuse’s largest crowd of the season to hush by putting his index finger over his mouth. The crowd retaliated with boos.

“I didn’t think too much of it,” Girard said after the game. “I’m just kind of an emotional player no matter where I’m at. Had there been another crowd somewhere else who’s booing me, I probably would have done the same thing. So, it’s not personal.”

Girard was booed in pre-game and for much of the game, especially by the student section. Regardless, it did not effect the way he played, as led he Clemson, and all scorers, with 18 points on five of six shooting, including a 4-for-5 afternoon from behind the arc.

“Joe has been terrific, and we thought he would,” Clemson head coach Brad Brownell said. “We recruited him pretty hard in the transfer portal. We got to know him through that process and just really knew he had something about him.

“He is a winner. He is a mature guy. Poise, that is part of the reason I wanted another guard like that, I thought we had a chance to have a really good team. I wanted another guy that in environments like this, North Carolina and Duke, he wasn’t going to flinch and, obviously, today was not easy for him. It was very emotional.”

With his grandmother on hand to watch her grandson play in person, as well as friends and family, Girard sealed the Tigers’ victory by making all four of his free throws in the final minutes.

Girard, who played four years at Syracuse before transferring to Clemson last summer, topped off his return to the JMA Dome by scoring his 2,000-career point. He scored 1,652 points while playing for the Orange.

“Folks need to know, he loves this place tremendously and he has never said anything otherwise down at our place,” Brownell said. “Obviously, he loves Coach (Jim) Boeheim and the coaching staff and all the players he has played with. This place will always have a special place in his heart.”

Syracuse men’s basketball lost 77-68 to Clemson, big thanks to a familiar face (waer.org; Cunningham)

In Joe Girard's return to the dome, @ClemsonMBB outlasted @Cuse_MBB 77-68.

The grad student poured in a game high 18 points. @francescosim16 and @RealLiamGriffin had the call for the homecoming. pic.twitter.com/FnwLElc0Wa
— WAER Sports (@WAERSports) February 10, 2024
Syracuse men’s basketball (15-9, 6-7 Atlantic Coast Conference) had a late 2nd half comeback fall a little bit short in a 77-68 loss to Clemson (16-7, 6-6 Atlantic Coast Conference.) The Tigers defeated the Orange for the first time inside the JMA Wireless Dome since 2016.

Both teams started the game on a roll trading the lead 9 times in the opening 7 minutes. After that, the Tigers would go on a 14-0 run. A large part of that run was thanks to former Syracuse guard and current Clemson guard Joe Girard who hit 2 three’s during that stretch. The Tigers took a 13-point lead at the end of the half.

Former @Cuse_MBB guard Joe Girard made his return to the dome today to an unruly home crowd.@francescosim16 narrated the three ball from the familiar face.

https://t.co/BG0Q3sGq3P, @waer883 pic.twitter.com/kRszjKCouo
— WAER Sports (@WAERSports) February 10, 2024
Coming out of the locker room, Syracuse had to make a change and they did just that. The Orange opened the 2nd frame on a 10-2 run and made it a 5-point game. JJ Starling said the squad's defense helped SU battle back.

“We just started digging in on defense and playing together on offense,” said Starling. “Even when there was a stretch we weren't scoring, our defense kind of held on and finally we started hitting shots and that's what got us into the game.”

Syracuse guard JJ Starling (2) Drives to the basket in SU’s loss to Clemson.

Cuse.Com Syracuse guard JJ Starling (2) Drives to the basket in SU’s loss to Clemson.

The Orange kept clawing away at the Tigers bit by bit until there was 3:37 left in the 2nd half when JJ Starling hit a step-back jumper to tie the game at 60 a piece. The Orange had all the momentum along with the over 23,000 fans in attendance on their feet.

However, in just a minute and a half, The ACC’s 2nd leading scorer PJ Hall tallied a layup, Guard Hunter Chanse scored a breakaway layup and Joe Girard passed up a shot to a wide-open Ian Schieffelin in the left corner for a 3. The Orange fought for over 10 minutes to tie it up and in just 90 seconds it was a three-possession game once again. Syracuse head coach Adrian Autry explained that the loss falls solely on SU.

“I think it's all us,” said Autry. “That's the most frustrating thing. This game was us, the last 4 minutes. We did what we needed to do to get back into the game and then the last 4 minutes we didn't do what we needed to do to win.”

ACC Power Rankings: Reeling Syracuse welcomes the league’s best team this week (PS; $; Carlson)
The past two weeks of the seen have seen the Syracuse men’s basketball team go from the NCAA Tournament bubble to the NIT bubble, from the middle of the ACC pack toward the bottom.

The Orange has had flaws exposed over the course of the year, ranging from a lack of passing to a lack of size to a lack of production from its forwards..

Benny Williams’ dismissal from the team last week seems like it will only exacerbate those issues, as an undersized frontcourt will be asked to go out and bang for even more minutes.

Following a two-point home win over Louisville, which has been ranked among the worst teams in this space all season, Syracuse is going to have to battle to keep itself out of the bottom tier and avoid a first-day game at the ACC Tournament.

The league’s bottom six teams all have to play the first day of the confernce tournament. If the current standing were used, Syracuse would avoid playing on the first day thanks to a tiebreak over Miami (both 6-7).

Syracuse and Miami own a half-game lead over Virginia Tech. (5-7) Pittsburgh and Clemson are a half-game ahead of the Orange (6-6).

Oh, and Syracuse gets to host the league’s best team on Tuesday.

Here’s how I’d rank the ACC this week.

1. North Carolina

Record: 19-5 (11-2)
Last week’s ranking: 1
Last week’s results: Loss 80-76 vs. Clemson; Win 75-72 at Miami
This week’s schedule: Tuesday at Syracuse; Saturday vs. Virginia Tech

Why No. 1? It was a typical hangover week for North Carolina following Duke. RJ Davis kept it from being a two-game problem with 25 points, 7 rebounds and 5 assists against Miami. He is distancing himself in the ACC Player of the Year race.

2. Duke

Record: 18-5 (9-3)
Last week’s ranking: 3
Last week’s results: Win 71-53 vs. Notre Dame; Win 80-65 vs. Boston College
This week’s schedule: Monday vs. Wake Forest; Saturday at Florida State

Why No. 2? Along with the bottom three teams, I think this is the most interesting debate have this week. Duke is full of firepower. Virginia relies on defense. The Blue Devils have more talent but UVA has Tony Bennett. Mike Waters and I seem to disagree, so I’m reversing his reversal. I tend to go with talent. Who would you spot here?

3. Virginia

Record: 19-5 (10-3)
Last week’s ranking: 2
Last week’s results: Win 60-38 vs. Miami; Win 80-76 at Florida State
This week’s schedule: Tuesday vs. Pittsburgh; Saturday vs. Wake Forest

Why No. 3? Tony Bennett remains the gold standard of ACC coaches, taking a team that looked like it might not make the NCAA Tournament and, once again, having them in contention for the ACC title. The Cavaliers have won eight straight but three of them have been have come in overtime or by fewer than four points. Bennett is the frontrunner for Coach of the Year.

4. Clemson

Record: 16-7 (6-6)
Last week’s ranking: 8
Last week’s results: Win 80-76 at North Carolina; Win 77-68 at Syracuse
This week’s schedule: Wednesday vs. Miami; Saturday vs. North Carolina State

Why No. 4? Joe Girard had a heck of a week scoring 21 points in an upset win over North Carolina and then adding a team-high 18 in his Syracuse homecoming. If you can win at North Carolina this season, you’re pretty good. The Tigers avoided a hangover at Syracuse despite the fact that their big guys absorbed a bruising against the Tar Heels.

5. Wake Forest

Record: 16-7 (8-4)
Last week’s ranking: 5
Last week’s results: Win 80-51 at Georgia Tech; Win 83-79 vs. North Carolina State
This week’s schedule: Monday at Duke; Saturday at Virginia

Why No. 5? Hunter Sallis kept Wake Forest’s NCAA Tournament hopes reasonable with a 31-point outburst against North Carolina State. It’s not easy for Tobacco Road rivals to win on the road. Earning at least a split this week would be huge for the ACC’s chances of getting five teams into the ACC Tournament.

6. Pittsburgh

Record: 15-8 (6-6)
Last week’s ranking: 7
Last week’s results: Win 67-64 at North Carolina State
This week’s schedule: Tuesday at Virginia; Saturday vs. Louisville

Why No. 6? I didn’t expect the Panthers to wiggle this high again this season but Pittsburgh has won five of six games, including a win over Duke. The only loss in that stretch was a four-point defeat at Miami. Jeff Capel has done a nice job, especially breaking in a pair of young guards.

7. Miami

Record: 15-9 (6-7)
Last week’s ranking: 6
Last week’s results: Loss 60-38 at Virginia; Loss 75-72 vs. North Carolina
This week’s schedule: Wednesday at Clemson; Saturday at Boston College

Why No. 7? If you’re going to lose two games in a week it makes sense to lose to Virginia and UNC. Miami entered the season with great hopes and have endured a star-crossed season full of injuries and close losses. It will be interesting to see how they stay together as it becomes more likely they go unfulfilled.

8. North Carolina State

Record: 15-9 (7-6)
Last week’s ranking: 4
Last week’s results: Loss 67-64 vs. Pittsburgh; Loss 83-79 at Wake Forest
This week’s schedule: Saturday at Clemson

Why No. 8? DJ Horne averaged 28 points last week as North Carolina State tied to stay afloat but the Wolfpack still lost both games. Horne is on a tear, averaging 26.5 points over his last four.

9. Florida State

Record: 13-10 (7-5)
Last week’s ranking: 10
Last week’s results: Win 63-62 at Boston College; Loss 80-76 vs. Virginia
This week’s schedule: Tuesday at Virginia Tech; Saturday vs. Duke

Why No. 9? Florida State’s conference charge seems to have run out of steam with losses in three of its past four. Two have come against North Carolina and Virginia, which are understandable.

10. Syracuse

Record: 15-9 (6-7)
Last week’s ranking: 12
Last week’s results: Win 94-92 vs. Louisville; Loss 77-68 vs. Clemson
Why No. 10? The Orange is one of two ACC programs without a win over a team ranked in Ken Pomeroy’s Top 50 win this year. The other is Louisville.

(PS; $; podcast; Axe)
Brent Axe chats live following Syracuse basketball's 77-68 loss to Clemson on Saturday afternoon at the Dome.
Overheard in the locker room after SU’s loss to Clemson: 'He wasn’t going to flinch' (PS; $; podcast; Axe)
The rare appearance of a visiting player at the podium, Clemson coach Brad Brownell describing why he recruited Joe Girard so hard out of the portal, Justin Taylor not happy with Girard getting booed and why Adrian Autry has left Kyle Cuffe on the bench the last two games.

Those were just a few things I overheard in the locker room following Syracuse basketball’s 77-68 loss to Clemson.

Joe Girard

On how he felt about returning to Syracuse:

“It was awesome. I saw a lot of people I created a relationship with for four years. Just to see them with smiles on their face before and after the game, it was great. I loved my time here and I loved the people here.”

On scoring his 2,000th career point in Syracuse:

“God works in mysterious ways. I’ve always said. He really came through tonight. It was a lot of fun. To have it here, I’m at a loss for words. I don’t really know what to say. It’s just crazy how it all works out.”

Keeping Up With The 315 2-9-24 (RDPN; radio; The 315)
Brian Higgins begins today’s program looking back on Joe Girard’s legacy at Syracuse and wondering how it will impact the on-court product for tomorrow’s SU-Clemson game. Then, Brian congratulates Dwight Freeney on being inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame before everyone’s favorite caller joins the show to talk hoops. Later, The Man Who Sort of Knows tries to make you some money this weekend.
MBB: 2024 Feb 10 Results (RX; HM)

MBB: 2024 Feb 10 Results

Here are the scores of ACC Men's Basketball games for February 10th, 2024...

#3 UNC 75 W
Miami 72

The Tar Heels get a much-needed win after losing 2 of the last 3.

Boston Coll. 65
#9 Duke 80 W

The Blue Devils took care of a pesky Eagles team.

Clemson 77 W
Syracuse 68

The Tigers get another nice ACC road win in their alternate purple unis.

NC State 79
Wake Forest 83 W

The Deacs stay in the hunt, while the Pack are all but eliminated.

Virginia Tech 66
Notre Dame 74

It's looking like NIT for the Hokies.

Georgia Tech 67
Louisville 79

Two teams already practicing for next year.

Virginia 80
Florida St 76

The Cavs survive a bit of a scare!

Other

O72X2J2NDRFH3NYMT7WPYWQHY4.jpg

A sign for w Co. is displayed in front of their compound in Ilion, N.Y., Thursday, Feb. 1, 2024. The nation’s oldest gun-maker is consolidating operations in Georgia and recently announced plans to shutter the Ilion factory in early March. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

Small NY village of Ilion made guns for 200 years. What happens when Remington leaves? (PS; AP)

Remington began here two centuries ago and generations of workers have turned out rifles and shotguns at the massive firearms factory in the middle of this blue-collar village in the heart of New York’s Mohawk Valley.

Now residents of Ilion are bracing for Remington’s exit, ending an era that began when Eliphalet Remington forged his first rifle barrel nearby in 1816.

The nation’s oldest gun-maker recently announced plans to shutter the factory in the company’s original home early next month, citing the steep cost of running the historic plant. Remington is consolidating its operations in Georgia, a state the company says is friendlier to the firearms industry.

The company’s recent history has been marked by a lawsuit after the Sandy Hook school massacre and bankruptcy filings that led to new ownership of the Ilion plant, where the workforce has dwindled from about 1,300 workers more than a decade ago to around 300.

But the move still stings for the village of 7,600 people, who face the prospect of a dramatic revenue loss and a vacant, sprawling factory.

“When Remington leaves, it’s not going to be like a facility leaving, it’s going to be like part of your family has moved off,” said Jim Conover, who started at Remington in 1964 packing guns and retired 40 years later as a production manager.
Gun-making dominates and defines Ilion. It’s entwined with the town the way car production is with Detroit.

Mayor John Stephens meets with village board members under a seal portraying Eliphalet Remington holding a long gun. The four-story, brick plant by Armory Street and Remington Avenue looms over the community about 55 miles (90 kilometers) east of Syracuse.

Everyone knows someone who worked at the plant. For some families, jobs there are practically a birthright. Conover’s father and sons also worked at the plant. Furnace operator and technician Frank “Rusty” Brown still clocked in there this year with family members.

KCRE6PGGZJGKTB3LTR754IH3HQ.jpg

Schoolyard, a new bagel shop just off the Syracuse University campus, opened at 6:30 a.m. today. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)(Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

Newly opened Brooklyn-style bagel shop taking ‘short pause’ (PS; $; Kirk)

A newly opened Brooklyn-style bagel shop is taking a “short pause” two days after opening.

Schoolyard Bagels at 726 University Ave opened on Thursday to hungry Syracuse University students eagerly waiting outside the door.

Syracuse.com | The Post-Standard reporter Charlie Miller was at the shop early for a “First Look” article about the store. Multiple employees didn’t show up, the bread delivery wasn’t there yet, and they didn’t have any lox.

“Growing pains,” said Peter Lombardo, one of the three owners of Schoolyard that morning. “We’re going to get through these minor setbacks. When you bite into one of these bagels, you’ll forget all about the problems.”

However, on Saturday, two days after opening, the shop posted on Facebook they were taking a “short pause.”

“Despite the overwhelming turnout, we realized we were not as prepared as we thought, leading to longer wait times than anyone should expect,” according to a post on the company’s Facebook.

On opening day the shop was full an hour after opening. At 11 a.m., the line stretched out the door and down the sidewalk.

To best serve customers - mainly hungry SU students and hospital workers - the shop is going to readjust.

“This is not a goodbye but a short break to ensure when we return we do so stronger and more ready,” the post reads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom