Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
tumblr_p4vw31cyvg1rvsfh9o2_500.gifv

Welcome to National Tooth Fairy Day!

National Tooth Fairy Day is dedicated to the mythical fairy who brings money or other gifts to children who have lost teeth. The loss of a first tooth can be a traumatic experience for a young child, but the promise of a gift from the tooth fairy helps make the experience something a child can look forward to. Many English speaking countries practice the tradition of the tooth fairy, in which a child usually puts their tooth in a "tooth box" and awaits the arrival of the tooth fairy when they are sleeping. The tradition started in the United States, but it is based off medieval European superstitions. In England, children were to burn their baby teeth so they wouldn't experience hardship in the afterlife, and so that witches would not find the teeth, as it was thought witches could control someone if they got their teeth. It was not until the 20th century that the modern day tooth fairy came to be, the earliest reference to the fairy being in the Chicago Daily Tribune in 1908. In 1927, Esther Watkins Arnold published her playlet The Tooth Fairy, which helped popularize the tooth fairy with children.

SU News

‘Most complete game we played all year’ Adrian Autry on win over Virginia Tech (localsyr.com; video; Sacco & Infanti)

The Syracuse men’s basketball team won its third straight game on Tuesday night, defeating Virginia Tech 84-71, on Senior Night at the JMA Wireless Dome.
Judah Mintz paced the Orange attack, pouring in a game-high 29 points, and six assists. SU had four players score in double figures in the win.

SU improves to 19-10 overall (10-8 in the ACC).

Syracuse closes out the regular season with back-to-back road games. First up, is a trip to Louisville on Saturday to take on the Cardinals. SU wraps up the regular season next Tuesday on the road at Clemson.
You can watch SU head coach Adrian Autry’s post-game press conference, following the win over Virginia Tech, by clicking on the video player above.

Overheard in locker room after SU's win vs. VT: ‘Seeing that is like watching a show.” (PS; $; Axe)

Judah Mintz admitted thinking about how Tuesday night may have been his last home game in the Dome, why Adrian Autry describes him as “a guy,” how Syracuse has won four of its last five and lessons from Kansas.

Those were just a few things I overheard in the locker room following Syracuse basketball’s 84-71 win over Virginia Tech.

Judah Mintz

On if he thought about Tuesday’s game possibly being his last home game at the Dome:

“For sure. I’ll be completely honest. I thought about it, but that decision will come after the season. It’s like last time. If you would have asked me last year around this time I would have told you I was gone and here I am today.”

On SU’s mentality as the season comes down the stretch:

“I told the team before we got out there, we have to play like we have everything to lose. And we do. That’s how it feels and that’s how we are going to go out there to play and compete every time. There’s a lot at stake for us, as a program and a team, but at the end of the day it’s fun for us. That’s why you see all the smiles on our face when we play together.”

On if SU players are thinking about how to get into the NCAA Tournament:

“Oh yeah. For sure. When we’re out there for 40 minutes, we’re not thinking about. But when we practice and we talk about what we need to do, it’s all based towards the tournament. We’re not playing just to play. We’re playing to get to that goal.”

Quadir Copeland

On Mintz’s 29-point effort against Virginia Tech.

“Man, he’s a superstar. We were talking about it all day being the last game in the Dome. Why not go out with a bang? He did it. He a dog at the end of the day. He works. He hoops. Seeing that is like watching a show.”

(youtube; podcast; Axe)

Who stays and goes from Syracuse basketball? Can Fran Brown really coach? (Ask Brent Anything)
Road Woes Continue For Virginia Tech In Syracuse Loss (sportswar.com; Cunningham)
Virginia Tech dropped another road game on Tuesday night at Syracuse, losing 84-71.

The Hokies (15-13, 7-10) have lost six of their last eight games and are 1-9 away from Cassell Coliseum. Against the Orange (19-10, 10-8), they struggled in the first half and let the game get away from them.

‘Cuse shot 61 percent (19-of-31) in the first 20 minutes while limiting Tech to a 39 percent clip (11-of-28). Its defense led to offense as it got out in transition and scored 11 fastbreak points.

It all went downhill for Tech in the final 11 minutes of the half. At that point, it was 13-all. The Orange outscored the Hokies 32-14 over the stretch that followed and pushed the margin to 45-27 at the break.

To Tech’s credit, it fought back in the second half and outscored Syracuse by five, 44-39, while shooting 57 percent (20-of-35). But ‘Cuse was 52 percent (15-of-29) and kept Tech at bay; the closest the Hokies drew was seven with 7:27 remaining. They cut the lead to single digits and were trailing by just eight with 3:42 left but couldn’t complete the comeback.

Judah Mintz led Syracuse with 29 points on 10-of-17 shooting. He was a perfect 8-of-8 from the free throw line while adding six assists, three rebounds and three steals. Whenever the Orange needed a basket, he came up clutch.

Mintz was surrounded by three double-figure scorers in J.J. Starling (13 points), Maliq Brown (12) and Quadir Copeland (12). That trio combined for 16 rebounds and 11 assists, too, with just four turnovers.

Sean Pedulla paced Virginia Tech with 18 points on 7-of-13 shooting while adding four assists, four boards and two steals. Lynn Kidd added 16 points, made eight of his nine attempts and grabbed eight rebounds.

Hunter Cattoor scored 12 and had four assists while Mylyjael Poteat chipped in 11 — he was 5-of-6 — and six.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/basketball/judah-mintz-leads-syracuse-past-virginia-tech (SI; Quinn)
Led by Judah Mintz’s 29 points, the Syracuse Orange took down the Virginia Tech Hokies with a final score of 84-71.

“I was able to get to my spots,” Mintz said. “They tried to press up a lot but respectfully, I don’t think they were as athletic as me to be able to do that to me.”

After the final home game of the season, the Orange now sit at 19-10 and 10-8 in the ACC. Syracuse travels to Louisville to face the Cardinals on Saturday, March 2nd, the second-to-last game of the season before the start of the ACC tournament.

The game started back and forth, with each team focusing on scoring in the paint. Judah was his usual self, getting to the basket at will and drawing fouls, while Maliq Brown added four early points on pick-and-roll layups. Lynn Kidd played a similar role for the Hokies, adding six points of his own on layups.

Bench scoring was also a significant story, as Kyle Cuffe Jr. flashed with five quick points before picking up three fouls. Quadir Copeland added eight first-half points, including an electrifying fast-break dunk.

For Virginia Tech, Mylyjael Poteat added five early points off the bench, including a tough and-one.

On the back of Mintz’s game-leading 16 points, bench scoring from Copeland and Cuffe Jr., and JJ Starling’s all-around play (6 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists), the Orange mounted a 45-27 lead heading into the break. Sean Pedulla led Virginia Tech with 8 points (2-3 from three, 2-2 from the line).

Justin Taylor's Roller Coaster Season Takes Another Turn (orangefizz.net; Frank)
Syracuse staved off Notre Dame for its second consecutive win on Saturday, 88-85 on Jim Boeheim Day. Every Syracuse starter scored in double figures, and that includes Justin Taylor’s 10 points, which all came off back cuts and layups at the rim (including two and-1’s) off of feeds from Maliq Brown on the perimeter. It was good to see Taylor put the ball in the basket, as this was only the second time he’s scored 10 points in 2024, the only other being the Wake Forest blowout on February 3rd. After the game, Adrian Autry had a strong defense of his starting wing after what has been two months of criticism from fans.

“He has toughness. He shows up everyday,” Autry said via syracuse.com. “As a coach, those are the guys you pull for. I’ll say this right now. I’ll take a bullet, I don’t care what any of you guys say. I’m with these guys everyday. Everyday. He’s a young man that is trying to help us win. He does everything I ask him to. When you have players like that, I don’t care what you say, those are the guys I stick with. Because they show up everyday. Justin Taylor is an everyday guy. In this game, you are going to go through some stuff. He never quit. Just kept battling. That’s what should be talked about. Nothing else.”

Adrian Autry was passionate Saturday in his defense of Justin Taylor.
'He shows up every day,' he said.
Taylor, who has struggled to make shots, appreciates the support.⤵️Autry preaches Justin Taylor work ethic and has words for critics: 'He shows up every day'
— Donna Ditota (@DonnaDitota1) February 26, 2024

Autry is starting to become more and more impassioned in postgame press conferences, but he does a good job of keeping things loose as well. He often cracks a smile if it permits or makes a joke, but if he wants to be stern, he certainly can be, like he was Saturday and like he was after the Wake game a few weeks ago. For Taylor, getting that support from his head coach was really important for him.

“It means a lot coming from him,” The sophomore said via syracuse.com. “He’s been in the same position I’ve been in. Each player has their struggles. It means a lot having him in my corner and supporting me no matter what.”

Taylor’s shooting percentages are down to 34% from the field and 30% from three-point range, after he shot 38% from the field and 39% from three as a freshman. His role has certainly changed, and it’s clear moving forward he is best in a reserve role where he can come off the bench and not have to guard up a position from the opening tip.

GHYyYSJXgAAsEVl.jpg

Fizz Report Cards: Syracuse Handles Virginia Tech, 84-71 (orangefizz.net; Simone)

That’s three wins in a row for Syracuse. With March approaching, the Orange are getting hot at the right time. What once looked like hopeless tournament prospects are now still bleak, but at least give SU fans a chance to dream. An 84-71 win over Virginia Tech is the latest step on the climb, giving the Orange a 14-2 home record in the regular season.

Let’s hand out some report cards:

Judah Mintz: A

One of the better, more efficient games Mintz has played this season. That seems to be a critique that he gets often. He’ll give you 15+ points every night, but sometimes it takes him 18 shots to get there. Tonight, it was 29 points.

Not the case tonight. He was efficient, finishing with 10-17 from the floor. Most importantly, when it mattered most, Mintz took over. Late in the game, as Virginia Tech made its comeback, Mintz wasn’t interested in getting rid of the ball, nor should he have been.

ACC Roundup - This Conference Is Always Interesting (DBR; King)

In Tuesday’s ACC Action, Virginia Tech lost at Syracuse 84-71, Clemson knocked off Pitt 69-62, Notre Dame took out Wake Forest 70-65 and Florida State got NC State 90-83.

The Hokies have been a horrible road team so far, with just one win (at NC State) all season and Syracuse has certainly improved: the Orange have won three straight and four out of five. It’s too early to say Syracuse is back or anything like that, but Orange fans are great fans and it’s a basketball school. We like them showing promise.

Judah Mintz had a great game with 29 points, six assists, three steals and three rebounds. Shot well too, hitting 10-17/1-3. Sean Pedulla may be getting his game back after a rough patch: he had 18 and shot 7-13/2-4.

If Syracuse keeps improving, Adrain Autry will get consideration for ACC Coach of the Year. Jon Scheyer gets a lot of heat for following the legendary Mike Krzyzewski, but what legend has ever been more bonded to his school than Jim Boeheim? Autry is handling that transition pretty well.

Pitt started out hot in Littlejohn but it was always going to be a physical game between these two and Clemson won that battle. The Tigers held Blake Hinson to six points, hitting 2-9/0-4. Pitt’s going to keep getting better, assuming Jeff Capel retains a solid core of players, because their bigs will, well, get bigger. They’re all pretty skinny. But give them 25 lbs. and Federiko Federiko and the Diaz Graham brothers will be a load.

As it happened, the ACC’s most underrated player, Ian Schieffelin, made them pay as he racked up 15 points on 5-9/1-2 shooting and pulled down 12 rebounds. Honestly, he’s just about our favorite ACC story this year. He’s put himself into the All-ACC discussion which we never thought would happen. He’s been magnificent.

PJ Hall, also also a self-made player, did well too, finishing with 12 points and 10 rebounds.

Jack Clark spent most of his energy guarding Hinson but still found time to grab nine boards of his own.

Factoid: Clemson’s starting guards didn’t grab a single rebound. However, Joe Girard and Chase Hunter both put up 15 points.

It was a damaging game for Pitt’s NCAA chances but it’s not over yet.

As for the Tigers, this is their third straight win and they are 6-1 since Feb. 6th. Remember that loss to Virginia? That would put them at 21-7. And if they had won at Duke, they’d be 22-6. It’s a pretty thin line really.

Keeping Up With The 315 2-27-24 (ESPN; radio; The 315)
On today’s show Brian started things off talking about Quadir Copeland posting a certain picture on his Instagram story, before talking about this more than likely being Judah Mintz last season in #The315, NIL, NET, and more! Next, Brian talked about Men’s LAX. He went over how they look so far, how they look in comparison to the competition and more. Finally, Brian wrapped up the podcast with No Wrong Answers, where he gives his predictions on tonight’s game and to no one’s surprise, he continued to defy the odds and kept his 100% accuracy run going!
MBB: Results 2024 Feb 27 (RX; HM)

MBB: Results 2024 Feb 27

Tuesday, February 27, 2024

7:00 PM ESPNU
Virginia Tech 71
@ Syracuse 84

7:00 PM ACCN
Pittsburgh 62
@ Clemson 69

9:00 PM ACCN
Wake Forest 65
@ Notre Dame 70

9:00 PM ESPN2
NC State 83
@ Florida St 90

Syracuse keeps their postseason hopes alive. Clemson makes a move up. Wake and NC State suffer bad losses on the road.

Ranked Loser

Just one...
#7 Kansas lost at home to BYU, 68-76

Tomorrow Night:
Wednesday, February 28, 2024

7:00 PM ACCN
Louisville
@ 10 Duke

Other

Central NY could hit 70 degrees again, then get slammed by ‘near-blizzard conditions’ (PS; Coin)

Central New Yorkers are used to crazy weather, but the next 36 hours could be among the craziest we’ve seen.

Syracuse is expected to hit a record-high 70 degrees today, for the second day in a row -- in late February. And within hours, winter will roar back with damaging winds and lake effect snow that could last through the day Thursday.

In one thin strip, nearly a foot of snow could fall, the National Weather Service says.

The weather service has issued a high wind warning and a lake effect snow warning for much of Central New York.

“There is a risk of near-blizzard conditions at times in the heaviest snow bands.,” the snow warning said.

The high wind warning starts at 2 p.m. today; the lake effect snow warning runs from 10 tonight until 7 p.m. Thursday.

Tuesday’s high temperature was 71, smashing the old record of 64 degrees for Feb 27, set in 2000. It tied for the second-warmest February day ever recorded in Syracuse.

Today’s projected high of 70 would also break a record, which is 66, set in 1954.

Unlike Tuesday, rain is expected to move in today. At a half-inch or so, that rain isn’t expected to cause any flooding problems, but it will get streets wet and wash away some of the accumulated road salt.

That could become a problem as the temperature plunges and that water on the road freezes. A bitter cold front is expected to push through starting late this afternoon, bringing high winds and rapidly falling temperatures.

From 3 to 9 p.m., the weather service estimates, temperatures will fall from that record of 70 to below freezing. And it keeps dropping overnight, bottoming out in the low 20s by early Thursday morning.

Wind gusts could howl at 50 to 60 mph, strong enough to knock down branches, trees and utility lines. Power outages are expected, the weather service said.

A new restaurant is moving into former Kirby’s location in Onondaga County (PS; $; Doran)
An Ohio-based restaurant chain is opening a Mexican restaurant in the former Kirby’s location in the Westvale plaza.

Kirby’s closed at 2112 W. Genesee St. in Westvale in October 2022, soon after the Kirby’s restaurant in Fayetteville closed.

The space has been vacant since then. Now the restaurant called Plaza Grande Cocina Mexicana & Cantina plans to open in the space, said Larry Socia of Sutton Real Estate, who worked on the deal.

He said the restaurant signed a lease in November, and is targeting an April opening. The restaurant also needs a liquor license before it opens, he said.

The Ohio-based restaurant chain has about 10 restaurants with different names. In Auburn, it operates Casa Azteca.
YZ4USSZ4XFFTRGQ6QC7QOJQT6U.JPG

Syracuse plans $1 million restoration of city greenhouse that once fed zoo animals (PS; $; Boyer)
When Syracuse Parks Commissioner Tony Williams first saw inside the historic city greenhouse at lower Onondaga Park last year, he felt like he was on the set of a jungle movie.

“I felt like I was in ‘Jumanji,’” he said of the abundance of plants, including an old lemon tree that grows fruit the size of softballs. “It took my breath away.”

The experience bolstered his excitement for a $1 million renovation project that’s expected to begin this summer. When work is finished by around spring 2025, the city plans to open the facility up for public visits for the first time this century.

Since it opened in 1920, the greenhouse has been the primary source of the annual flowers planted in Syracuse’s parks and in large pots and baskets hanging from street poles throughout the city. It also was a source of community pride for many decades.

“Many Syracusans visit the greenhouse at this time of year, for the long, even rows of annuals present an attractive sight,” an April 1939 article in the Syracuse Herald newspaper said.

A 1947 article focused on the orange, lemon and banana trees that greenhouse staff grew to the delight of visitors, who “drop in at the greenhouse for a few minutes to forget about the snow and ice.” A couple of years later, the paper reported that bananas grown there were donated to the zoo to feed animals. One worker claimed that his wife made six pies with just one of the giant lemons.

Another constant through the years was field trips to the greenhouse for area school children, giving them a chance to see where tropical fruits come from and learn about how plants are cultivated.

Williams views a return of those school visits as one of many possibilities for the greenhouse. In-house classes and space for community groups to hold meetings are other potential uses.