Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Syracuse News

15546235-mmmain.jpg

Tyler Roberson (14) and BJ Johnson (11)

My Two Sons Lead USA To Victory in Estonia (PS; Waters)

Syracuse University teammates Tyler Roberson and B.J. Johnson both scored in double-figures to lead the USA East Coast All-Stars to a blowout win in their first game in the Four Nations Cup in Talin, Estonia, on Monday.

The USA East Coast All-Stars, a team of players from various colleges in the United States, thumped Tallinna Kalev, an Estonian pro team, 103-59 on Monday.

Roberson, a 6-foot-7 sophomore, notched a double-double with 13 points and 14 rebounds. Johnson, also a rising sophomore, scored 16 points and registered seven rebounds. Johnson was the team's high scorer. Roberson took rebounding honors.

-c6df5dcedc387f0d.JPG

JB Has Strong Thoughts on Mark Cuban, Recruits and More (PS; Domin)

Jim Boeheim was the first guest on Brent Axe's new show "On the Block" on ESPN Radio this afternoon.

The Syracuse basketball coach addressed many topics, include recruiting and his new book. But perhaps what stuck out most were his thoughts on Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban.

Boeheim was on ESPN's "Mike and Mike" earlier Monday and talked about the Paul George's gruesome leg injury. George was hurt during a Team USA scrimmage in Las Vegas, and Boeheim, an assistant for the team, had a front-row seat.

ACC

14024196-mmmain.jpg

Duke Helps Itself with Its Schedule (PS; Stevens)

One of the surest things in college basketball is Duke will be really, really good. Coach Mike Krzyzewski's program hasn't missed the NCAA tournament since 1995, and it has earned a No. 3 seed or better in all but one season since 1997.

Also high on the list of certainties is the Blue Devils will schedule shrewdly. Last year marked the 11th consecutive season Duke faced a top-50 nonconference schedule. Granted, Coach K has the luxury of playing just about whomever he wants, whenever and wherever he wants, and trips to New York and New Jersey can feel like de facto home games for the Blue Devils. But it's still a program that makes good decisions while filling in its open dates in November and December.

Former Players

-1bda134307e11153.JPG

Kris Joseph to Play in France This Season (PS; Ditota)

Kris Joseph is headed back to France.

The former Syracuse University forward, who played last season for Chalon, is moving to Dijon to play this season, he confirmed in a direct message.

Joseph averaged 13.5 points, 3.3 rebounds and 2.2 assists for Chalon, which finished eighth (of 16 teams) in France's highest pro league and made the playoffs. He shot 53 percent overall and 36 percent from the 3-point arc.

Dijon plays in the same French Pro A league, but also competes in the Eurocup, where Joseph will occasionally match up against former teammate Brandon Triche, who plays for Rome.

-858923fef12917f4.JPG

Scoop Jardine Signs Deal with Pro Team in Austria (PS; Waters)

Former Syracuse University basketball player Scoop Jardine has agreed to play for a pro team in Austria this fall.

Jardine, who played at SU from 2007 to 2012, confirmed his decision via text message. Jardine will play for the UBC Gussing Knights.

He said the contract with the team was being processed, but both sides had agreed to the deal.

"It's a good opportunity,'' Jardine said last week as he waited on final approval for the contract. "It'll give me the chance to go play for a year and put up some numbers.''

In that one article on JB, he also mentions that his new book will be coming out in late September or October and here is his quote from the article above: "There will be a lot of things in there, I think, that people don't know. Whether they'll want to know them or not, I don't know. ... It's not about, 'He did this.' It's about inside, behind-the-scenes things in recruiting and coaching that happens that people really don't get to see or hear about. I think people will be interested in it, somewhat."

It's curious what will be in there that we might not know yet. I thought Scott Pitoniak did a good job with his unauthorized bio and then on YES Center Stage they covered a lot of the same stories. I'm hoping he takes some shots at people about the Bernie Fine incident, but I think it could be a lot more juicier if the book didn't come out until he retires.

In that one article on JB, he also mentions that his new book will be coming out in late September or October and here is his quote from the article above: "There will be a lot of things in there, I think, that people don't know. Whether they'll want to know them or not, I don't know. ... It's not about, 'He did this.' It's about inside, behind-the-scenes things in recruiting and coaching that happens that people really don't get to see or hear about. I think people will be interested in it, somewhat."

It's curious what will be in there that we might not know yet. I thought Scott Pitoniak did a good job with his unauthorized bio and then on YES Center Stage they covered a lot of the same stories. I'm hoping he takes some shots at people about the Bernie Fine incident, but I think it could be a lot more juicier if the book didn't come out until he retires.

Jack McCallum had total access to JB and the team through chunks of last season, including the road trip to Duke and MD (you may recall, he broke the story about JB's locker-room "apology" to the team after the loss at Duke). I very much liked Scott's book, but I think this one will be quite different ... .more of an up-close look at JB in action... rather than a sweeping biography.

JB, what a salesman. "I have a new book coming out and I think people will be interested, somewhat."

For some reason that just tickles me.

[QUOTE="cto, post: 1098082, member: 412]Jack McCallum had total access to JB and the team through chunks of last season, including the road trip to Duke and MD (you may recall, he broke the story about JB's locker-room "apology" to the team after the loss at Duke). I very much liked Scott's book, but I think this one will be quite different ... .more of an up-close look at JB in action... rather than a sweeping biography.[/QUOTE]
Absolutely. I'm sure he wants to make it a lot different than Scott's book. He needs to be able to sell it to a broader audience

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teddy19

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom