Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Former Players

Stephen-Thompson-Jr..jpg

Stephen Thompson Jr

NCAA Rules Complicate Recruiting Process for OSU HC Trinkle and Assistant Steve Thompson (oregonlive.com; Letourneau)

Wayne Tinkle and Stephen Thompson Sr. earned the rare distinction Tuesday afternoon of landing verbal commitments from highly touted sons.

But the news represented more than a special moment for two families and one long-suffering fan base. It marked the next chapter in an awkward process.

As college basketball coaches, Tinkle and Thompson have dexterously navigated the sometimes-blurry line separating job and home life. They double-check NCAA guidelines when attending a son's AAU tournament during "off periods." They compete against longtime friends when scouting the teen they introduced to the game.

For another three-plus months until the early signing period, Tinkle and Thompson must use caution when discussing their sons with media. They can't reference commitments or coaching their offspring in the Pac-12.

ACC

54065e6f308a2.image.jpg

Clemson Assistant Earl Grant Named Basketball HC at College of Charleston (fayobserver.com; staff)

Clemson assistant Earl Grant has been named the basketball coach at the College of Charleston.

Grant, 37, was chosen over fellow finalist Bobby Lutz, the 56-year-old associate head coach at N.C. State. Lutz led Charlotte's program to five NCAA tournament appearances in 12 seasons as head coach from 1998-2010 and has worked on Wolfpack coach Mark Gottfried's staff for the past three seasons.

Lutz was also a candidate to become the head coach at Virginia Tech in 2012, and he withdrew from Appalachian State's search for a head coach in late March.

The College of Charleston had an opening after it fired Doug Wojcik, who was investigated for allegations that he verbally abused players, assistant coaches and staffers in the athletic department.

Grant, who is from North Charleston, will be introduced on campus Friday. He spent the past four seasons on Clemson's staff. Before that, he served six years as an assistant for Gregg Marshall at Winthrop and Wichita State, and Grant also was an assistant at The Citadel from 2002-04.

Other

09032014_S_ChrisFox_Courtesy.jpg

Chris Fox is HC of the SU Cross Country and Track and Field Programs (men and women)

Fox Carries Syracuse to National Prominence After Tenure at Auburn (DO; Schneidman)

To the left of Chris Fox’s desk sits a pair of orange and blue running shoes.

While those colors are the same for the past two schools he’s coached at, the cultures and focuses of each are polar opposites.

After leading the Auburn cross-country team from 2001–04 and being part of the Tigers’ track and field coaching staff during that time, Fox took the head coaching job at Syracuse, a school that puts an emphasis on long distance due to weather and tradition. He’s adapted to the shift from a Southern school to a Northeastern one, and with it, built the Orange into a national cross-country powerhouse.

Fox and his coaching staff have focused their recruiting to suit Syracuse’s establishedcross-country prowess. Combined with his long-distance expertise from his professional running career, Fox has transformed himself as a coach. The Orange was once a back-of-the-pack Big East program, but now is in the national discussion heading into Fox’s 10th season at Syracuse.

“I certainly learned a lot (from my own running), but as I mature as a coach, I think less autobiographically and more try to be in tune with each individual,” Fox said. “It definitely is an assistance (having run long distance). I’m learning every year too.”

090214_N_i-81_LukeRafferty_SP-1.jpg

Directing Traffic: I-81 Discussion Moves to Next Phase as Public Comment Period Ends (DO; Iannetta)

With a projected timeline of about eight years, the process of deciding the future of Interstate 81 is a marathon. But the last four months have certainly felt like a sprint.

In May, the New York State Department of Transportation presented 16 different options to replace the aging highway. The options were variations on four main themes: a boulevard, a tunnel, a depressed highway or a rebuilt highway.

In June, NYSDOT released a draft scoping report, which recommended six options with a focus on either rebuilding I-81 or replacing it with a street-level highway. The public was given a chance to comment on these options starting on June 26. That public comment period ended Tuesday.

I-81 will reach the end of its useful life in 2017 and by then construction is slated to start on a new version of the highway, which has had a controversial presence in the city since it was built in the 1950s. As discussions move into the next phase, many are confused about the future direction of I-81 and who will be deciding the highway’s fate. Many Syracuse community members say the public comment period has resulted in a lot of ideas but little consensus on the best option or even what factors should be taken into account when making the decision.

Disappointed [but not surprised] to see that Stephen Thompson, Jr. selected Oregon State. I was hoping that he might still opt to come here, providing some much-needed backcourt depth at PG.

The recruiting rules (or most of them) as applied to interactions with your own children are absurd. I guess they can be pretty tricky when it comes to interactions with your kid's team or teammates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom