Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

Eugene-Rogers-Nike-01.jpg

Interview With The Devil: Meet Eugene Rogers, Nike's 'Platinum Man' (designboom; Butler)

Sigh. It turns out he is a Syracuse man...

at the lebron 12 shoe launch designboom spoke to eugene rogers, NIKE basketball color lead. in recent years rogers has established a new standard for NIKE basketball’s palette, working across all NIKE basketball shoes from the hyperdunk to signature models for lebron james, kobe bryant and kevin durant.

designboom: please could you tell us a bit about your background and how you came to work as a colorist for NIKE?

eugene rogers: I grew up in new york and studied industrial design at syracuse university. after school I worked in product design for a few years at different new york offices. in one of my last jobs before joining NIKE I worked on backpacks and luggage for a design consultancy – that was when I became more focused on color and fabrics. eventually I met some people who were working at NIKE and they suggested I apply for a job here, which is what I did. seven years ago I started working here as a color designer and just worked my way up to being color lead for basketball. I’ve played basketball since I was a kid so I’ve always had an affection for basketball shoes, which makes this job a perfect fit for me.

Former Players

106-mcw-600.jpg

Despite Its Promise, MCW Is Not Focusing on the Future (philly.com; Kaskey-Blomain)

Much of the talk surrounding the SIxers as of late focuses on the future, and when the team can climb back into contention, or the merits of their roster rebuild. Little of the conversation following the franchise has much to do with actual, X-andO’s basketball, as it would with say the Spurs.

While the fan-base can fast-forward to the future, where their team is a perennial power, those on the Sixers roster responsible for building the team back up are about to embark on an 82-game season, and they can’t afford to look to the future.

“All I can do is control what I can control,” Michael Carter-Williams emphasized at Media Day last week. “I can’t control when [Joel] Embiid is ready to play, I can’t control when Dario [Saric] comes over here. My main focus has to be on the guys that are playing.”

Other

16023546-mmmain.jpg

Betsey%20Johnson_Cheerleader%201962-1963.jpg

Betsey Johnson From Dancing With the Stars Last Night and the 1962-63 SU Cheerleading Squad

No More High Stepping, Cartwheels for SU Alum Betsey Johnson (PS; Johnson)

On Week 4 of "Dancing With the Stars," the night was about the remaining 10 competitors recalling a memorable year in their lives. So the performers shared emotional stories, everything from the loss of loved ones, family struggles, prison time, and career setback. The ABC-TV show ended Monday night with fashion designer and Syracuse University graduate Betsey Johnson and her partner Tony Dovolani being eliminated.

Actor Alfonso Ribeiro with Witney Carson received the night's only perfect score. The dancing duo performed a jazz dance playing off the goofy dance of his preppy character Carlton Banks on the comedy "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" in the 1990s.

The TV audience was given the power of the vote during the show's live broadcast. They were designated as guest judges and could go online and score the individual performances. TV viewers also can determine match dancing couples for Switch Up week on the Oct. 13 episode of the dancing show competition. They have until 3 a.m. on Tuesday to declare their preference for new pairings.

9923202-mmmain.jpg

Raytheon, Saab Defense of DeWitt Win US Air Force Contract Worth Up to $1.3 Billion. Good News for Saab Employees, Bad News for Lockheed Martin Employees Locally (PS; Weiner)

The U.S. Air Force today selected Raytheon Corp. and subcontractor Saab Defense of DeWitt as the winner of a competition to produce its next generation of long-range radars.

The decision means that Raytheon and Saab Defense will be in a position to secure a lucrative long-term production dealestimated to be worth up to $1.3 billion in total sales over the next 10 years.

The contract will lead to 100 new jobs at Saab Defense on Enterprise Parkway in DeWitt, U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer said.

But the news could be bittersweet for Central New York's economy. Raytheon beat out competing bids from Lockheed Martin in Salina, as well as defense giant Northrup Grumman.