Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

Video: SU Coach Jim Boeheim on Basketball, Success and New Book "Bleeding Orange" (cbsnews.com)

Jim Boeheim is starting his 39th season as Syracuse University's men's basketball coach. He has won 948 games as head coach, an NCAA championship and two Olympic gold medals, among other awards. Boeheim joins "CBS This Morning" to talk about his new memoir, "Bleeding Orange."

ncaa-basketball-acc-tournament-nc-state-vs-syracuse-590x900.jpg

ACC Basketball Preview Series: Syracuse Orange Preview (bustingbrackets.com; Davis)

Syracuse enters the 2014-2015 season in a rebuilding year amid a cloud of uncertainty. The Orange loses three of their top four scorers in Tyler Ennis, C.J. Fair, and Jerami Grant. This is especially bad news for a program whose offensive struggles hindered this team last season. The loss of Tyler Ennis is especially critical as this leaves coach Jim Boeheim’s squad with uncertainty at point guard.

That’s the bad news. The good news? For Syracuse these questions are Déjà vu. For the third consecutive season Syracuse will turn to an unproven point guard to lead the offensive. The off-season storyline for this program for each of the last three years has focused around “rebuilding.”

The Angry Basketball Discussion at Indiana Began with Syracuse 61, IU 50 (wdrb.com; Bozich)

The Syracuse University athletic program, basketball team prominently included, shook hands with the NCAA Committee on Infractions in Indianapolis last week. They huddled for two days.

Jim Boeheim's program is alleged to have checked the boxes on all the usual big-time college sports hijinks, including academic misdeeds.

There's more. In March of 2012 Yahoo! Sports reported that the Orange were “awash in positive drug tests and, in many cases, failed to adhere to its internal drug policy while playing ineligible players.”

What is the connection between alleged rogue behavior at Syracuse and the off-the-court issues that have infected Tom Crean's program at Indiana?

Just this: Syracuse 61, Indiana 50.

Other

-219b69f4701f66a8.jpg

Katko Defeats Maffei in 24th Congressional Race (PS; Weiner)

Republican John Katko defeated U.S. Rep. Dan Maffei on Tuesday night in a come-from-behind campaign in which he surged in the last month, topping even the most optimistic polls that predicted he would win.

With 99 percent of the vote counted in the 24th Congressional District, Katko led Maffei 60 percent to 40 percent, according to unofficial election returns.

Katko outdistanced Maffei in all four counties in the district. He won in Onondaga County 57 percent to 43 percent; 64 to 36 percent in Cayuga County; 64 percent to 36 percent in Oswego County; and 71 percent to 29 percent in Wayne County, although results there were incomplete.

16261543-standard.jpg

Fort Drum's 10th Mountain Division Concludes Operations in Afghanistan, 13 Years After It Arrived (washington post)

BAGRAM AIR BASE, Afghanistan -- The U.S. Army's 10th Mountain Divisionformally concluded its operations in Afghanistan on Tuesday, another sign that the war is drawing to a close even as American commanders are evaluating whether they will have enough resources to support the fledgling Afghan military.

After five tours in Afghanistan since 2001, four of which included operations in the country's volatile and dangerous eastern provinces, most of the soldiers from the division will be en route to Fort Drum in New York by Wednesday afternoon. A few dozen soldiers will stay behind for another week or two, but division commanders said their work in Afghanistan was complete, at least for now.

In the fall of 2001, the 10th Mountain Division was the first major army unit to arrive in Afghanistan in support of American Special Forces who helped topple the Taliban government. Since then, about 177 soldiers from the division have been killed while serving in the country.

"We were the first division here, and I think it's fitting we'd be the last," in a combat role, said Maj. Gen. Stephen Townsend, the division's commander, after a ceremony marking the division's departure from rugged eastern Afghanistan.

If I understood the headline correctly, it was that we were a bad influence on Indiana? :) Reminds me of a parent telling their kid to stay away from a kid that's trouble. Although I could take that in a bad way, I actually see the humor in it.

If I understood the headline correctly, it was that we were a bad influence on Indiana? :) Reminds me of a parent telling their kid to stay away from a kid that's trouble. Although I could take that in a bad way, I actually see the humor in it.

What a dopey article.

What a dopey article.

After I read the whole thing, it wasn't what I expected from the title or even the intro. I was just being silly earlier. I think the author makes a decent case. I don't want to cause any hatred because of my antics. Make peace with the article RF, and you will free yourself from it's bondage.

After I read the whole thing, it wasn't what I expected from the title or even the intro. I was just being silly earlier. I think the author makes a decent case. I don't want to cause any hatred because of my antics. Make peace with the article RF, and you will free yourself from it's bondage.

I hear you. I'm just tired of the phony baloney ostensible "moral superiority" of programs like Indiana and UNC, which are both as dirty as the programs they condescend to look down upon. Seriously, consider the past 10 years of Indiana basketball--and some writer clown has the audacity to imply that they do things the RIGHT way as a program?

Reminds me of the "Great Experiment" fallacy that was perpetuated about Penn State's program. Hypocrites, the whole lot of them.

Last edited:

The article is making the case that Syracuse is a rogue program and Boeheim isn't on the hot seat, yet Crean runs a squeaky clean outfit and is on the hot seat. It is trying to say "winning fixes all evils." Boeheim runs a sess pool program rotten to the core, but since he's winning, nobody cares, all the while Crean is pure as the driven snow (short a few hot make-out sessions with his son in the stands) yet is fighting for his coaching life because his team has struggled, with his biggest loss was to a group of beer swilling, class skipping, turn signal snapping pot heads...

There is fundamental flaw in the logic in that the failed drug tests alluded to are a). only alleged at this time, and b). even if factual, seemed to not be applicable to players on the team that beat Crean's choir boys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom