Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

imrs.php

Of particular concern was whether a person with ties to the YMCA provided benefits to the men's basketball team, which included Carmelo Anthony

NCAA Investigating Whether Syracuse Connection with YMCA Internship Program Violated Rules (washingtonpost.com; Payne)

The NCAA is giving Syracuse University a good, hard look. An investigation, which wrapped up last month, is looking at whether an internship program that placed student athletes at a local YMCA from 2004-05 violated NCAA rules, Syracuse.com reports. Specifically, the NCAA, which is still mulling the results of its investigation, is wondering whether students were paid for those internships, which were assigned to those seeking degrees in Child and Family Studies, which Syracuse.com writes, is a popular major among athletes.

Sources revealed to Syracuse.com that there were possible issues that “occurred years ago” with the internship program, including the documentation of hours and who was responsible for approving those hours, but that doesn’t seem to be what the NCAA is concerned over. Per Syracuse.com:

The NCAA did not accuse the YMCA of wrongdoing, said [said the lawyer for the Y's CEO] … But investigators questioned whether a second person with ties to the Y provided extra benefits to football and men’s basketball players, according to a source.

16365697-mmmain.jpg

UM Coach Jim Larranaga is One of the Best in the Business

ACC Basketball Night in Review: Angel Rodriquez Spurs Rally as Miami Shocks Florida (PS; Stevens)

This is the same Angel Rodriguez who played against Syracuse as a frosh for Kansas State in an NCAA tournament game in Pittsburgh some years back...

Miami announced its re-emergence to college basketball with a victory at Florida.

Clemson couldn't take care of the ball in a jarring home loss to Winthrop.

Wake Forest got a rare blowout victory on the road.

That, plus a look ahead to Tuesday's four games, in the ACC night in review.

NIGHT TO REMEMBER

G Angel Rodriguez, Miami

The Hurricanes' point guard had a quiet first half at Florida, mustering two points and two assists to go with three turnovers as Florida built a 12-point lead at the break.

He was not nearly so quiet in the second half, pouring in 22 points --- all in the final 9:02 --- as Miami erased a 15-point deficit and took down the Gators (1-1) in Gainesville.

Monday reinforced two things about the Hurricanes (2-0), who will not be overlooked moving forward. One, Rodriguez, a former Kansas State guard, is a pivotal addition. Two, Miami needs him to be at his best to knock off top-level teams on its schedule.

Rodriguez did just that for a quarter of the game. Against Florida, it was enough to help Miami resurface as a possible top-25 team after playing last year with a limited roster.

NIGHT TO FORGET

Clemson

While things could be worse for the Tigers --- they could have lost to a team that doesn't havea decent chance to claim a one-bid league later this season --- Monday was not a pleasant time for Brad Brownell's team.

5854058_G.jpg

Pitino to UL Freshman Onuaku: 'I Need You Now' (wdrb.com; Crawford)

The plan for center Chinanu Onuaku as he headed into his freshman season at the University of Louisville was to proceed slowly.

The first sign that Cardinals' coach Rick Pitino might alter the plan came over the summer, when the coach reported that Onuaku had "completely transformed" his body during offseason workouts. He was out of shape when he came to Louisville in the spring for the Derby Festival All-Star Classic. But this fall, the 6-10 Onuaku was a chiseled 6-10 and 230 pounds.

Still, there wasn't much thought that he'd fill anything but a support role until the real practices began. On Monday, Pitino delivered a different message to the big man, who now has started the first two games of his U of L career.

"We had a very brief conversation today," Pitino said. "I said son, look, I'm going to tell you the way it is. We're going to play a bear of a schedule. We wanted to play you 12 or 16 minutes (a game) and bring you along slowly. But I don't have that luxury. I need you to be a killer out there, and I need you to do it now. I've got to have you become a big-time player in your freshman year. And I thought tonight from an effort standpoint he was a big-time player, even though he overmatched his opponent."

Onuaku, whom Pitino calls "Nanu," posted the first double-double of his U of L career, 12 points, 10 rebounds, in an 88-39 pounding of undersized Jacksonville Monday night. It was a long way from his first start, in which he fouled out in only eight minutes of action against a much bigger Minnesota team.??He comes from a basketball family. His brother, Arinze Onuaku, played for Syracuse from 2005-10 and opened this season on the New Orleans Pelicans roster. He set the single-season field goal percentage record for Syracuse with 66.7 percent as a senior.

@therealboeheim: Duke fan waved a WEGMANS IS OVERRATED sign last year. Never! I'll be signing BLEEDING ORANGE at our beloved Wegman's in DeWitt tonight at 7.

@therealboeheim: Duke fan waved a WEGMANS IS OVERRATED sign last year. Never! I'll be signing BLEEDING ORANGE at our beloved Wegman's in DeWitt tonight at 7.

Whether or not Wegman's is overrated is a subjective matter. However it would be nice for people to be aware of places like Trader Joes, Winn Dixie, Sprouts, etc.

B2wfnzwCEAEIGiX.jpg:large

Wegmans had things organized pretty well.

There was a desk in front of the store where you exchanged your voucher for a card with a letter on it. There were 25 cards in each letter group (25 cards with "A", 25 with "B", etc...) Once you received a card, you were free to wander around the store until they paged your letter group and you got in the actual line for the autograph.

I left the house at 5:30 and got an "E". Called into line approx 7:10. Made it home by 7:45.

Highest letter I saw was an "M".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom