Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

17402417-mmmain.jpg

Malachi Richardson May Play Some PG for the West Team

Watch Malachi and Thomas Bryant Play in the McDonald's AA Game Tonight: TV Channel Info, Live Stream and Tipoff Time (PS; Domin)

The McDonald's All-American Game, featuring the best high school basketball players in the country, takes place Wednesday at the United Center in Chicago.

The boys game will begin at 9 p.m. and will be on ESPN. The girls game starts at 6:30 p.m. and airs on ESPNU.

» Roster, where players are going to college

Syracuse fans will be especially interested to see two players: Malachi Richardson, who has already committed to the school, and Thomas Bryant, who has the Orange on his list of finalists.

NBC in Syracuse
Time Warner: Channel 1203 (HD), Channel 3 (Syracuse suburbs) or 4 (city of Syracuse) for non-digital customers
Verizon Fios: Channel 3 (SD) and 503 (HD)
DirecTV: Channel 3 (SD & HD)
Dish Network: Channel 3 (SD &HD)
New Visions: Channel 3 (SD) and 603 (HD)

Live stream: NBC Sports Live Extra

17404391-mmmain.jpg

Stephen Zimmerman Jr Will Play for the West

2015 McDonald's AA Game Rosters: Where Are the Top Players Going to College? (PS; Domin)

The top high school boys basketball players in the country will compete in the McDonald's All-American Game on Wednesday in Chicago.

Two players will be of particular interest to Syracuse. Malachi Richardson could step in and be a starter as a freshman. Thomas Bryant has narrowed his list of possible destinations to Syracuse, Indiana, Kentucky and Missouri.

Below are the team rosters:

033115bryant.jpg

SU Basketball Might Want to Give Thomas Bryant a 'Hey, What's Up?' (TNIAAM; Keeley)

Last we checked, we were kinda-sorta pretty sure that Syracuse Orange would have room to offer a scholarship to highly-coveted recruit Thomas Bryant for the upcoming season, especially with the news that B.J. Johnson and Ron Patterson would transfer. And now that Chris McCullough could potentially leave, they definitely have room.

While that may still be true, it doesn't seem like SU is trying all that hard to make it happen. According to Bryant, he hasn't hear from the Orange staff in months...

"I haven't talked to them in a while, to be honest," Bryant said. "I talked, not to Jim (Boeheim), but (to) Mike Hopkins at the Hoophall Classic a couple months ago. That's the last time I talked to them."

"In my way of thinking, (Syracuse) has been there from the start, since I was at Bishop Kearney," he said. "So I'm just taking it slow."

Bryant, who is playing in the McDonald's All-Star Game this weekend, is expected to make his decision sometime around April 2-4. While he did say that Indiana is recruiting him the hardest, he will likely choose between the Hoosiers, Orange, Kentucky Wildcats and Missouri Tigers.

Though if they don't send him a text or a just give him a thumbs-up soon, SU might make his choice 25% easier.

Q&A with Thomas Bryant at McDonald's AA Media Day (insidethehall.com; Corazza)

Class of 2015 Huntington Prep (W.V.) big man Thomas Bryant was at the United Center on Tuesday afternoon for media day for the McDonald’s All-America Game.

Inside the Hall had the chance to sit down with Bryant, who is considering the Hoosiers, for a one-on-one interview. Here’s a full transcript of our conversation:

How’s this experience been for you so far these last couple of days?

“It’s been great. It’s a once in a lifetime thing and I’m just blessed to be here and I’m just thanking God each and every day.”

As far as the game tomorrow night, sometimes it can be a guard dominated game, how do you make your mark?

“I’m just going to play hard, play smart and just don’t worry about whether it’s a guard oriented game because I still have a national tournament to play with Huntington Prep right after this, but I’m just living in the moment right now and I’m just blessed and am taking full advantage of it because I know it won’t happen again.”

What’s the transition like playing in an all-star game like this to go back to the team you’ve been with all season?

“It’s good because you get to wind down a little bit and play in an all-star game, have some fun but also know in the back of your head not to get too lackadaisical because you still have a team that is counting on you and still have to be in that mindset that it’s a national tournament that you’re trying to win and let’s get serious.”

Reading your comments from yesterday, do you anticipate making a decision after that tournament? Or are you still thinking that through?

“I’m thinking about trying to make it soon, but I’m just taking it day by day. My mom and I are talking over it and once we’re in agreement on everything, that’s when everybody else will know. It shouldn’t be too long.”

What SU Basketball Should Expect From Kaleb Joseph in Year Two? (sujuiceonline.com; Cheng)

One of the biggest question marks heading into the 2015-16 Syracuse basketball season is what kind of improvement point guard Kaleb Joseph will make. The mercurial guard averaged 5.9 points and 3.8 assists, while starting 30 of 31 games in the past season.

It isn’t a stretch to say that Joseph struggled at times, especially in ACC play. But with a season under his belt and an offseason that will likely improve his strength and shot, Joseph should improve in his sophomore year. The question is, how much?

To get somewhat of a predictor in what sophomore leap (if any) Joseph will make, we took a look at the last four point guards to start at Syracuse as freshmen: Adrian Autry, Jason Hart, Gerry McNamara and Jonny Flynn. I initially wanted to include Brandon Triche, who started at point guard in the 2009-10 season, but ultimately excluded him because he didn’t start at point guard in his sophomore year. Conversely, I decided to include McNamara in his sophomore year because, while he didn’t start the season at point guard, he had to finish the season in that position after Billy Edelin left the program.

So, without further ado, let’s start with Autry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom