Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

042115_S_AlexKline_Courtesy.jpg

Alex Kline Grows Mary Kline Classic Into Top Showcase, Raises $104K for Cancer Research (DO; Dougherty)

Alex Kline slumped down in a folding chair next to the court, his hair mussed and sweat staining his red T-shirt.

There was no air conditioning in the Pennington (New Jersey) High School gym. There wasn’t enough parking. Seventeen college-bound recruits played for a crowd thinned by the scheduling of the event — right in the middle of Memorial Day Weekend — and a 16-year-old Kline just wanted the day to end.

Looking back four years later, Kline sums up the first Mary Kline Classic in one word:

Deflating.

“I get a complaint the next day from a father. He said, ‘You promised us dinner and we got cold pizza. My son didn’t get MVP and he led the team in scoring,’” Kline remembered. “And that’s the first call I get after the event.

“I thought, ‘You’ve got to be kidding.’ I didn’t know if I could do it again after that.”

Alterique-Gilbert.jpg

Syracuse Offers Another 2016 PG (PS; Carlson)

Syracuse continues to offer scholarships to highly-rated point guards, adding point guard Alterique Gilbert to the school's wish list on Monday night.

Gilbert's high school coach, Sharman White, tweeted that Syracuse had offered his player. Gilbert plays at Miller Grove High School (Lithonia, Ga).

Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim was reportedly in the state on Monday and also visited five-star combo guard Kobi Jordan-Simmons

According to Max Preps, Gilbert scored 18.5 points per game for Miller Grove last year, contributing 6.2 assists, 5.3 steals and 4.7 rebounds as a junior. He led his team to the AAAAA state quarterfinals.

Gilbert is a 6-foot-1 point guard who is ranked as high as No. 44 nationally by ESPN in the Class of 2016. He is ranked No. 48 by Scout and No. 78 by Rivals. Among the schools that have reportedly offered are Connecticut, Florida State, Maryland and Miami.

JB Visiting 5 Star 2016 PG Kobi Jordan-Simmons (PS; Carlson)

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim is visiting the No. 5 prospect in the country, according to At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. director of basketball recruiting Evan Daniels.

Daniels reported that Boeheim was visiting Kobi Jordan-Simmons on Monday night. Jordan-Simmons, a 6-foot-5 combination guard in the Class of 2016, is ranked as high as No. 5 by ESPN. He is ranked No. 8 by Scout and No. 13 by Rivals.

Daniels Tweeted plans of the visit, citing Jordan-Simmons' father.

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels
Follow
Syracuse's Jim Boeheim is going in-home with Kobi Simmons (http://foxs.pt/1yKmiKJ) tonight, per his father.

6:15 PM - 20 Apr 2015

Recruiting reporter Alex Kline reported last week that Syracuse had offered Jordan-Simmons a scholarship.

Jordan-Simmons joins point guard Tyus Battle and forward Harry Giles among the elite 2016 recruits that Syracuse is currently chasing. The Orange already has a commitment from forward Matthew Moyer.

Jordan-Simmons plays AAU basketball with the Atlanta Celtics and high school basketball at St. Francis (Roswell, Ga.). His numerous other offers include other elite schools such as Kentucky, Arizona, Kansas, North Carolina, Louisville and Connecticut. He is already involved with USA Basketball, playing for the USA Basketball Developmental National Team.

The dunk around the 1:12 is pretty dang sweet!

CJ, man. Love that guy's game. Makes it look easy and also somehow shocks you with his ability, almost don't believe he's going to hit the shot with a man in his face, or explode to the basket from out of nowhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom