Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

wallace.jpg

Does SU Basketball Need a 44? (sujuiceonline.com; Irvine)

Now that the fabled 44 has been #restored to Syracuse Football, it begs the question: does Syracuse Men’s Basketball need a 44?

There are actually two parts to this question. Does Syracuse basketball need a tradition as strong as the number 44 is for football? And does a Syracuse basketball need a player to wear the 44 jersey?

Let’s start with question one. Syracuse has a terrific basketball tradition, ranking 6th in all-time wins, but let’s be honest: our traditions are pretty terrible. What’s the first tradition you think of when you think of Syracuse basketball? Outside of the 2-3 zone – which isn’t really a tradition so much as a good strategy – it’s probably standing and clapping until the first basket. Ugh! We can do better.

Helpfully, Otto’s Army has produced a list of the other SU basketball traditions. Unfortunately, the only one of these that stands out as more than an extension of the standard cheerleader cheers is the “Who’s he!? So What!? Etc.” introduction for the opposing team. That’s always amusing – especially at road venues like the Verizon Center – but it’s not exactly a tradition to hang your hat on.

» Related: 2014-15 Syracuse basketball team report card

I’m sure that many of the other “traditions” on the Otto’s Army list are fun, but they’re not really traditions. “I believe that we will win!” is a Navy football tradition and was most recently co-opted by the U.S. Men’s National Soccer Team. It’s no more a Syracuse tradition than humming “Seven Nation Army” is for the hundreds of teams that do that.

devendorf-gradjpg-90fb397e1aceb08b.jpg

Eric Devendorf Adds College Degree to List of Highlights at Syracuse University (PS; Thompson)

For a moment, Eric Devendorf felt like stepping onto a courtside table, sticking out his jaw and letting the joy and pride of the moment pour out of him for the Carrier Dome crowd to see.

But, really, that was more of a thing for the old Eric Devendorf.

While the former Bay City Central and Syracuse University basketball star felt just as much emotion as the day he struck that famous pose – after draining perhaps the most dramatic game-winning 3-pointer that didn't count in college basketball history – the new Eric Devendorf celebrated in a different way last weekend after receiving his college diploma.

"A lot of people have said that I should do something like that," said Devendorf, with a laugh. "But I just kept it simple.

"When I was in line, getting ready to walk across the stage and get my diploma, it hit me that I was able to do this and get it done. It was a good feeling, for sure."

Syracuse's Eric Devendorf is mobbed by teammates as he stands on a table after making a 3-point basket at the end of regulation against Connecticut during a quarterfinal game at the Big East Tournament March 12, 2009 at Madison Square Garden in New York. The shot, which would have won the game and was originally ruled good, was reviewed and referees determined the clock had run down before the ball left Devendorf's hand. The game extended into six overtime periods before Syracuse won 127-117. (AP Photo/Julie Jacobson)
Once a kid whose reputation as a trash-talking troublemaker made him one of the most hated players in college basketball, Devendorf has developed a different image as a 28-year-old father of two, who is now a college graduate.

"The perception of me has changed tremendously," Devendorf said. "People have reached out to me, asking me to speak to kids and come into high schools to tell my story. They want me to talk about going through the things I've gone through, going away, coming back and never giving up. I'm not sure they would have reached out to me before, but now that perception has changed."

Other

-25289d7ab328b7f3.JPG

Chicken From Hell (Actually a Feathered Dinosaur)

-972f847dada3d17c.JPG

Cartwheeling Spider

'Chicken From Hell', Cartwheeling Spider Among SUNY ESF's Top Ten New Species (PS; Coin)

The "chicken from hell," a cart-wheeling spider, and a wasp that protects its eggs with walls of dead ants are among the top 10 newly discovered species of 2015, according to the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry.

ESF's International Institute for Species Exploration has compiled the list each year since 2008 to highlight the discovery of new species even as known species are being driven extinct.

ESF said up to 10 million species have yet to be discovered -- five times the number already known to taxonomists.

"The last vast unexplored frontier on Earth is the biosphere," said ESF President Quentin Wheeler in a prepared statement. "We have only begun to explore the astonishing origin, history, and diversity of life."

Here is this year's top ten:

1. Feathered dinosaur Azu wyliei, North and South Dakota. Also known as the "chicken from hell," this species sat on eggs until they hatched and stood about 10 feet high.

2. Coral plant Balanophora coralliformis, Phillipines. It's a parasitic plant has above-ground tubers. Scientists believe there are only about 50 of the plants in existence and already consider it critically endangered.

3. Cartwheeling spider Cebrennus rechenbergi, Morocco. To fend off predators, this spider cartwheels away as twice the speed at which it can run. It can't do it for long, though, or it would overheat in the desert.