Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

18199032-mmmain.jpg

Chris McCullough Thrilled to be Member of Hometown Nets: 'It's Amazing' (PS; Ditota)

Al McCullough acknowledged he fought back tears.

Moments earlier, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver spoke the name of McCullough's son, Chris. He called him the 29th pick of the 2015 NBA Draft. He told him he would play for the Brooklyn Nets. For Chris McCullough and his family, the day he had dreamed about came with a cherry on top.

Not only had the former Syracuse forward been drafted by an NBA team in the first round, the fifth straight Orange product to do so. He had been selected by the hometown Nets.

"It's amazing," Chris McCullough said. "I am from New York City. I'm from the Bronx. So being called to play for the Brooklyn Nets is a big thing for me to have that opportunity. I'm blessed for that."

McCullough grew up in the Jackson Houses, where his family still lives. His parents say the drive by car to Brooklyn's Barclays Center takes 45 minutes.

For days and weeks leading to the draft, experts suggested the Nets would select McCullough. His family hoped it would happen. As the picks ticked closer to Brooklyn's selection at No. 29, McCullough texted Nick Resavy, the former Syracuse player who now works for the Nets to ascertain the possibility.

18198639-mmmain.jpg

Rakeem Christmas Drafted #36 by Minnesota, Then Traded to Cleveland (cleveland.com; Haynes)

The Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired power forward Rakeem Christmas out of Syracuse with the No. 36 pick in the 2015 NBA Draft.

Cleveland snatched up picks No. 31 and No. 36 by sending the Minnesota Timberwolves their No. 24 pick.

The league officially approved the swap shortly before midnight.

Christmas, 23, is a four-year collegiate player who had a breakout senior year. He's an energy player who averaged 17.5 points, 9.1 rebounds and an impressive 2.5 blocks per game in his final season. His defensive presence at 6-10 is how he's going to make his mark in the league.

He earned third-team All-American honors and Atlantic Coast Conference Co-Defensive Player of the Year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom