Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
ice-cream-sundae-picture-e1374350314954.jpg

Welcome to National Ice Cream Sundae Day!

The ice cream sundae was invented by Chester Platt who owned the Platt & Colt's drugstore in 1893.

Platt prepared a dish of vanilla ice cream for the Reverend John Scott on a Sunday. Chester Platt spiced up the ice cream with cherry syrup and a candied cherry. Reverend Scott named the dish after the day. An advertisement for "Cherry Sunday" served at the Platt & Colt's drugstore has helped document this claim.

CHERRY SUNDAY - A new 10 cent Ice Cream Specialty. Served only at Platt & Colt's. Famous day and night Soda fountain.

SU News

wp-BRI-NJHoopsHaven-12627-IMG_1406-300x225.jpg

Tyler Roberson and Friends

Homecoming: Tyler Roberson Speaks at Roselle Catholic HS (mycentraljersey.com; Carino)
Q. So what’s it like playing in the Carrier Dome when it’s full?

A. “It’s exciting. Coming out of high school you play in front of a few hundred people, and it’s totally different. Who wouldn’t love playing basketball in front of that many people? I can’t even describe what it sounds like."

Q. When starting forward Chris McCullough went down with an injury, what was your mindset stepping into his spot?

A. “When he went down I knew I had to step up and play a lot more minutes. I saw it as an opportunity to help my team out and show everybody that I could play. That’s what I tried to do.”

Q. Coming from being a superstar in high school, how do you adjust to being a role player in college?

A. “You learn to do whatever it takes to help your team. For me, that was rebounding. Not everybody likes rebounding. You have to be aggressive. I’ve always been good at it, and I knew I could be good at it on this level.”

Q. What was it like posting 19 points and 10 rebounds against Duke (a home loss Feb. 14)?

A. “We wanted to win the game but fell a little short. But it was an exciting game and it gave me a lot of confidence. When you have a game like that against a team like Duke, it definitely helps you.”

Q. What’s your reaction to the recently announced news that longtime assistant Mike Hopkins will take over at Syracuse after Jim Boeheim retires in three years?

A. “Coach Hopkins recruited me, so I knew he would be a good coach once he got an opportunity. Coach Boeheim retiring is unfortunate because he’s such a good coach, but I think Coach Hopkins will be fine . . . They’re both really intense. Coach Hopkins is maybe a little more energetic, but they’re both great coaches.”

Q. What was it like to watch the NBA Draft and see two of your Syracuse teammates get selected (McCullough in the first round and Rakeem Christmas in the second)?

A. “It gives me a lot of motivation. Seeing someone you talk to every day get drafted lets you know that you also can achieve that dream. It takes a lot of hard work and a work ethic. Seeing them work hard, especially a guy like Rakeem being a senior leader, that taught me a lot this year. It’s something I’ll take into next season."

Q. What are you doing this summer to get ready for that?

A. “I try to lift at least once a day and then get a basketball workout in, working on drills. At night I’ll get shots up, maybe 500-700 shots . . . focusing on the mid-range area. It’s all about consistency. I try to work hard in the summertime because I know it’s the time to improve your game.”

ryan%20blackwell.jpg

It is Official; Ryan Blackwell Named Liverpool HS Hoops Coach (cnycentral.com; Tamurian)

Liverpool High School Basketball has a new head coach.

He's a face any Syracuse Orange fan will recognize.

Ryan Blackwell, an orange standout from 1997-2000, is now the Warriors' Head Coach.

The Liverpool Board of Education officially approved Blackwell's hire at a special meeting on Tuesday night.

"I'm excited. (Athletic Director) Ari (Lieberman) has done a great job helping me out. I'm pretty familiar with Liverpool, obviously went to Syracuse, and this was a great opportunity for me to further my coaching career" Blackwell tells me.

Ryan scored 1,175 in just three seasons in a Syracuse uniform, one of his finest moments was a buzzer beater in the 1998 Big East semifinals.

Blackwell will assume duties this fall.

"I enjoy coaching, I enjoy mentoring kids, I'm familiar with the area, I'm familiar with some of the kids and there is a lot of potential here with the school district going forward, and with that being said, I'm really excited" Blackwell says.

ACC News

ACC Basketball: Top Playmakers for 2015-16 (isportsweb.com; Beissner)

Perhaps it is dangerous to highlight a single player from a given team as the go-to playmaker. For many of the ACC teams, there are multiple individuals who can, and should, fill that role. Despite this, out of a blend of necessary leadership, experience and pure talent, there usually emerges a few clear frontrunners out of the conferences elite.

Malcolm Brogdon, Virginia
Brogdon’s versatility as an all-around difference maker has made him one of the most underrated of Virginia’s players the past few seasons. He will likely be the centerpiece of the Cavaliers’ offense this coming year with the departure of Justin Anderson. Although Brogdon’s offense may not have been as as showy as Anderson’s frequent thunderous dunks, it has been equally, if not more, important. Brogdon has been remarkably consistent in his ability to not only deliver from beyond the arc but also by driving to the basket. If he can continue to perform with the same tenacity next season, the Cavaliers will remain a force to be reckoned with.

Marcus Paige, UNC
It is somewhat more difficult to predict who UNC’s top performer will be next season due to such high hopes and an incredibly loaded roster, but a strong bet comes in the form of Paige. He is certainly one of the teams’ most reliable shooters. Most impressively, his 3-point percentage has gone up through every season of college play (he finished 2014-15 with 0.395). It will be important for Paige, coming into his senior year, to be the catalyst for initiating the Tar Heels’ offense. He will certainly be a key leader for his team going forward.

Grayson Allen, Duke
Duke’s roster presents an even greater challenge in determining who will be the likeliest to stand out. With yet another fruitful recruiting roundup, the Blue Devils have a roster of highly talented incoming freshmen who are untested against the rest of the ACC. Despite this, Duke’s most impactful player has the potential to be a veteran. Allen brought tremendous energy off the bench last year, in spite of his comparatively fewer minutes. He certainly proved himself. It should be interesting to see how more playing time affects his demeanor on the court next season.