Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
6ccc9b2e0a42741a422a60dc15bbaabc.png

Welcome to National Welsh Rarebit Day!!

It’s National Welsh Rarebit Day! Welsh rarebit is toast with hot cheese poured over it. It is often served as a pub snack.

The origins of this dishes' name are unclear. The Welsh term “rarebit” most probably means “rabbit.” Why would cheesy toast be called rabbit? The title is likely just a playful way to poke fun at the dish and those who eat it—much in the same way that “mock turtle soup” is not actually made from turtle.

Today, Welsh rarebit is a popular dish across Europe and in certain parts of the rest of the world. If you've never had Welsh rarebit before, National Welsh Rarebit Day is a great opportunity to try it for the first time!

SU News

16797250-large.jpg

Big Man Taurean Thompson Visits Rutgers, Plans Syracuse Trip (TNIAAM; Cheng)

Before we get to the recruiting links today, a special shout out goes to Hall of Fame coach Dick MacPherson. Syracuse announced on Wednesday that MacPherson will be honored during the Orange’s game against Wake Forest on Sept. 12. With that said, let’s go to recruiting…

Syracuse.com’s Donna Ditota reports that former Syracuse commit Moustapha Diagne is still in Senegal and is awaiting a student visa to attend JUCO Northwest Florida State. In August, reports surfaced that Diagne wasn’t cleared by the NCAA—and couldn’t attend SU—because of a class he took in Senegal.

The fallout from Syracuse losing Diagne is starting to play out in its 2016 recruiting cycle. While the Orange already has commitments from Tyus Battle and Matt Moyer, andAt their request, this network is being blocked from this site.’s Ben Sigel reported on Wednesday morning that SU offered 6-foot-10 center Taurean Thompson. Sigel said later that Thompson could take a visit to Syracuseas “early as this month.”

SNY.tv’s very own, Adam Zagoria, confirms the Syracuse visit, and also writes thatThompson will take a trip to Xavier. That makes a busy September for him, because The Recruit Scoop’s Alex Kline reports that Thompson took an unofficial to Rutgers on Wednesday.

» Related: Syracuse football active as open contact period starts

Syracuse could also get involved again for 2016 big man Sedee Keita.He visited Providence this week while also adding an offer from Baylor, Kline says. Keita has offers from Syracuse, Villanova, Tennessee and Temple, among others.

usa-today-8491984.0.jpg

SU Hoops Preview: You Should Feel Pretty Excited for Malachi (TNIAAM; Burke)

Generally speaking, it's fairly difficult to project how high school players will translate to the college level. Considering Syracuseplayers alone, DaJuan Coleman and Rakeem Christmas have shown us that even five-star recruits aren't guaranteed to make earth-shattering impacts immediately.

So it's important for Orange fans to stay rational with their expectations of Malachi Richardson, who barely missed garnering a five-star rating from ESPN. With that said, there's no denying that Richardson deserved his status as the prized recruit in Syracuse's highly-touted 2015 class. And though he has strides to make on both ends, he's gifted enough offensively to earn a regular spot in SU's 2015-16 rotation, even in a crowded backcourt.

Specifically, Richardson can really shoot, both from the perimeter and the mid-range. Though he's capable of creating his own shot, he's especially lethal on the catch-and-shoot.

But if there's one offensive critique of Richardson, it's that he's had a tendency to rely on his jumper, sometimes to a fault. That could end up frustrating SU fans when he goes cold, which he will from time to time. He's improved at putting the ball on the floor, so I'll be interested in seeing how often he drives to the basket rather than settling for jumpers. Regardless, Richardson can flat-out score, and it wouldn't shock me if he proved to be the Orange's best pure scorer right away.

On the other end, his size will help him. At 6-foot-6, he's big for a guard, which is ideal for the 2-3 zone. But as with any freshman, he could struggle to master the intricacies of the zone, which could cost him some playing time -- as it did with Kaleb Joseph last season.

Other

18675332-mmmain.jpg

That is Tom Berenger in the Green T-Shirt and Vest

Hollywood Comes to the New York State Fair (PS; Johnson)

Actor Tom Berenger caused a commotion outside the main gate of the New York State Fair at 6 p.m. Wednesday and State Police were standing by. Well, Berenger was creating a scene --- in the filming of the movie "American Dresser." Berenger was walking, not talking, among the 30 or so local motorcyclists who wedged their shiny bikes into a green space at the fair entrance. The riders roared their engines to make their presence known during the almost two-minute long filming. And it was all over.

As he walked away from the set up, Berenger flashed a smile and said, "We're going to make Central New York the new Hollywood." Berenger and director/writer Carmine Cangialosi and cinematographer Jesse Brunt have been shooting the film in and around Syracuse since last week. The fairground scenes will be blended into footage shot last month at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in Sturgis, S.D.

"American Dresser" tells the story of the recently widowed John Moore, Berenger's character, who learns he has a now-grown son. He and his friend Charlie, played by Keith David, take off on a cross-country motorcycle ride to meet his son. The indie film, a Film House production, will be released in theaters said Michael Haggerty, executive producer and chief operating officer of The Film House. It's one of the first productions to take advantage of state's program using tax breaks and a $15 million film studio in DeWitt to attract film production companies to Central New York.

[B said:
Other[/B]

18675332-mmmain.jpg

That is Tom Berenger in the Green T-Shirt and Vest

Hollywood Comes to the New York State Fair (PS; Johnson)

Actor Tom Berenger caused a commotion outside the main gate of the New York State Fair at 6 p.m. Wednesday and State Police were standing by. Well, Berenger was creating a scene --- in the filming of the movie "American Dresser." Berenger was walking, not talking, among the 30 or so local motorcyclists who wedged their shiny bikes into a green space at the fair entrance. The riders roared their engines to make their presence known during the almost two-minute long filming. And it was all over.

As he walked away from the set up, Berenger flashed a smile and said, "We're going to make Central New York the new Hollywood." Berenger and director/writer Carmine Cangialosi and cinematographer Jesse Brunt have been shooting the film in and around Syracuse since last week. The fairground scenes will be blended into footage shot last month at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in Sturgis, S.D.

"American Dresser" tells the story of the recently widowed John Moore, Berenger's character, who learns he has a now-grown son. He and his friend Charlie, played by Keith David, take off on a cross-country motorcycle ride to meet his son. The indie film, a Film House production, will be released in theaters said Michael Haggerty, executive producer and chief operating officer of The Film House. It's one of the first productions to take advantage of state's program using tax breaks and a $15 million film studio in DeWitt to attract film production companies to Central New York.
I like Tom Berenger, but Keith "how did you get the beans above the frank" David? That is bigtime.

Hey everyone,

This is Wes Cheng from The Juice Online. I just wanted to introduce myself and thank you guys for putting together a great forum. Specifically, I wanted to say hello to Bees, CuseLegacy and sutomcat. Thanks for linking our articles from time to time, and I look forward to getting to know all of you better.

-Wes

Hey everyone,

This is Wes Cheng from The Juice Online. I just wanted to introduce myself and thank you guys for putting together a great forum. Specifically, I wanted to say hello to Bees, CuseLegacy and sutomcat. Thanks for linking our articles from time to time, and I look forward to getting to know all of you better.

-Wes
Welcome aboard, Wes and glad to have you here!

6ccc9b2e0a42741a422a60dc15bbaabc.png

Welcome to National Welsh Rarebit Day!!

It’s National Welsh Rarebit Day! Welsh rarebit is toast with hot cheese poured over it. It is often served as a pub snack.

The origins of this dishes' name are unclear. The Welsh term “rarebit” most probably means “rabbit.” Why would cheesy toast be called rabbit? The title is likely just a playful way to poke fun at the dish and those who eat it—much in the same way that “mock turtle soup” is not actually made from turtle.

Today, Welsh rarebit is a popular dish across Europe and in certain parts of the rest of the world. If you've never had Welsh rarebit before, National Welsh Rarebit Day is a great opportunity to try it for the first time!
Almost busted a gut when I saw this ... takes me way back to the dinner table as a kid.

Almost busted a gut when I saw this ... takes me way back to the dinner table as a kid.
Don't know anything about Welsh rarebit but we saw this food item in someone's house and we couldn't stop laughing. It's no surprise it never caught on in the states.
spotted_dick-640x480.jpg

Don't know anything about Welsh rarebit but we saw this food item in someone's house and we couldn't stop laughing. It's no surprise it never caught on in the states.
spotted_dick-640x480.jpg
Is this guy's picture anywhere on the container?

Dick.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom