Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

Does anyone else feel that Notre Dame is going to take a serious fall this year? Grant and Cannoughton were the two best players on that team by far, and the heart and soul of that team. I would be impressed if they are good this year.

Does anyone else feel that Notre Dame is going to take a serious fall this year? Grant and Cannoughton were the two best players on that team by far, and the heart and soul of that team. I would be impressed if they are good this year.

They will still be OK. Augustine, Jackson, Vastoria are all pretty dang good players. But as you say they lost their two best players who made those three better. I'd also add that Connoughton being able to play PF helped cover for their lack of size.

They will still be OK. Augustine, Jackson, Vastoria are all pretty dang good players. But as you say they lost their two best players who made those three better. I'd also add that Connoughton being able to play PF helped cover for their lack of size.
I think the three players you mentioned were great compliments to the two NBA talents they had. I don't know their team well enough to know if they have any other NBA talents, but I haven't noticed any, and I think they need at least one to lead that team. I see them as similar to most Notre Dame teams, good players, good coach, but not enough to be a serious threat. Whereas, last year they had the two players that took them to the next level.

Would you rather have those three players or Roberson, Gbinije, and Cooney?

No, I'd want ours mainly because I believe:
Gbinije: Will be 1st team All ACC
Cooney: Will benefit from additional shooters as will the offense as a whole
Roberson: Will take the next step and put up something in the 14-8 range
I agree with you. I think G is a star. I think Roberson could be a star. Cooney and the Notre Dame three, I cast in the same lot. They are or can be great complimentary players. Jackson might be a touch above the others, but I am not sold on him. I think that the three that we have that are equivalent to Augustine, Jackson and Vastoria would be Roberson, Joseph and Cooney. I think Roberson has more potential than Augustine. Jackson has shown way more than Joseph at this point, but Joseph can be just as good as Jackson (and I think he will show that this year) and Cooney is similar to Vastoria, I actually think that Vastoria could be a little better than Cooney, but I am hoping I am wrong and Trevor has a great senior season. On top of those players, we have a great freshman class with a couple of players that will contribute this year. I understand how the rankings work, much is based on last year, because most of these writers don't want to read up on over 300 teams. But, I think we have a nice team, with alot of great pieces and way more talent than we are being given credit for. It is going to be a fun year.

I agree with you. I think G is a star. I think Roberson could be a star. Cooney and the Notre Dame three, I cast in the same lot. They are or can be great complimentary players. Jackson might be a touch above the others, but I am not sold on him. I think that the three that we have that are equivalent to Augustine, Jackson and Vastoria would be Roberson, Joseph and Cooney. I think Roberson has more potential than Augustine. Jackson has shown way more than Joseph at this point, but Joseph can be just as good as Jackson (and I think he will show that this year) and Cooney is similar to Vastoria, I actually think that Vastoria could be a little better than Cooney, but I am hoping I am wrong and Trevor has a great senior season. On top of those players, we have a great freshman class with a couple of players that will contribute this year. I understand how the rankings work, much is based on last year, because most of these writers don't want to read up on over 300 teams. But, I think we have a nice team, with alot of great pieces and way more talent than we are being given credit for. It is going to be a fun year.

That's a pretty fair assessment IMO although putting Kaleb in that group at this point is way overselling anything he has done consistently on the court. I do agree that he will be much better this year. Vastoria is an excellent defender but much like Cooney he is not a creator of offense they are both best suited as complimentary offensive players.
I also really like our pieces this year and feel this team has a chance to be much better than expected because of that and all the possible shooting options. Granted this is assuming a healthy and productive Coleman (no guarantee) and its expecting Kaleb to play at a much higher level. There are still a lot of things that could not happen or go wrong which would cause this group to struggle but in general I can see how things could go together to make them a viable top 4/5 ACC team and a dangerous out in the NCAA.

ND is always better than I expect them to be - I guess Brey is pretty good.

That's a pretty fair assessment IMO although putting Kaleb in that group at this point is way overselling anything he has done consistently on the court. I do agree that he will be much better this year. Vastoria is an excellent defender but much like Cooney he is not a creator of offense they are both best suited as complimentary offensive players.
I also really like our pieces this year and feel this team has a chance to be much better than expected because of that and all the possible shooting options. Granted this is assuming a healthy and productive Coleman (no guarantee) and its expecting Kaleb to play at a much higher level. There are still a lot of things that could not happen or go wrong which would cause this group to struggle but in general I can see how things could go together to make them a viable top 4/5 ACC team and a dangerous out in the NCAA.
I agree, I put Kaleb in there based on the hope that he makes the jump. I guess I am just not that sold on Jackson. Looking at the rankings, it looks like things are wide open. They think Villanova might be underranked at #12? They lost alot. Same thing with Wisconsin, sure, don't bet against Bo Ryan, because we all know he will bore his competition into submission when he has less talent (like this year), but they shouldn't be top 25. After reading through the top 25, I feel good about Syracuse. Another team that I have questions about is Michigan State. I am not a fan of Valentine, and if he is their leader, I can't see them going anywhere, because he is as likely to make three dumb plays as one spectacular play. However, I am a believer in Izzo and he will definitely have them at least decent by the end of the year. The team to watch is Cal. They have a ton of talent and should be fun to watch.

I agree, I put Kaleb in there based on the hope that he makes the jump. I guess I am just not that sold on Jackson. Looking at the rankings, it looks like things are wide open. They think Villanova might be underranked at #12? They lost alot. Same thing with Wisconsin, sure, don't bet against Bo Ryan, because we all know he will bore his competition into submission when he has less talent (like this year), but they shouldn't be top 25. After reading through the top 25, I feel good about Syracuse. Another team that I have questions about is Michigan State. I am not a fan of Valentine, and if he is their leader, I can't see them going anywhere, because he is as likely to make three dumb plays as one spectacular play. However, I am a believer in Izzo and he will definitely have them at least decent by the end of the year. The team to watch is Cal. They have a ton of talent and should be fun to watch.
yep several of their top 25 have as many ?? as SU does. I even think that Duke as top 10 is questionable - yeah you gotta give love to the defending champs but they lost a ton from that team

yep several of their top 25 have as many ?? as SU does. I even think that Duke as top 10 is questionable - yeah you gotta give love to the defending champs but they lost a ton from that team
It happens every year, and we have been the beneficiary at times, but so much of it is based on last year, even if a team (such as Wisconsin) has lost just about all of their production from the previous year. Doing these rankings cannot be easy. Particularly if you want to do a good job, but alot of these "journalists" just throw it together because they know it doesn't matter, it generates clicks and stirs discussion.