Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
ISAD_logo_2013.jpg

Welcome to International Stuttering Awareness Day!

October 22 was designated International Stuttering Awareness Day (ISAD) in 1998.[1] The day is intended to raise public awareness of the millions of people – one percent of the world's population[2][3] – who have the speech disorder of stuttering, also known as stammering.

SU News

usa-today-8500928.0.jpg

What Point Was the NCAA Trying to Make, Anyway? (TNIAAM; McClusky)

Jim Boeheim is just a couple of months from one hell of a public shaming. Come the end of December, the Hall of Fame coach will have to stay away from his basketball program for a month. He can't coach his Syracuse Orange in games, he can't even show up to practice. For basically thirty days during the heart of the basketball season, Jim Boeheim will being doing something he hasn't done in over forty years: Something else.

Now, there are a lot of moving pieces that still need to fall into place here. Boeheim is appealing his nine-game suspension that officially kicks in when Syracuse hits the Atlantic Coast Conference portion of its schedule at the end of December. The NCAA could grant Boeheim some leniency and reduce the ban or even take it completely off the table. Both being best-case scenarios for the coach.

If Boeheim misses a couple of games, or none at all, that would be a massive win for him. Boeheim is one of those very private public figures who shuns a lot of the spotlight and rarely opens up too much -- giving cold shoulders to the local media on a regular basis. But for what little we do know about him, there's an understanding of just how damn important coaching is to his being, his DNA. He's been the head coach at Syracuse for four decades now because he's really good at what he does and because he really doesn't want to do anything else.

So, if he is forced to watch his team play on television instead of from the sideline like he has done for roughly 1,300 games, well, let's just say it will be tough for him. Mostly because he won't be there for his players, his assistants, for the game he loves. But the reason of his missing games will also likely strike very deep.

orangemadness6.jpg

Hard to Set Expectations for the 2015-16 Syracuse Basketball Team (thejuice; Marcus)

During the four years I attended Syracuse (2009-2013), my freshman year was really the only year when no one knew if Syracuse basketball was going to be good. The team was coming off a Sweet 16 appearance, but had lost three key players (Jonny Flynn, Paul Harris, Eric Devendorf).

Well, everything turned out OK that year. A No. 1 seed and a Sweet 16 appearance was the end result. Wes Johnson was the wild card transfer. And he produced. I’m not sure if Syracuse has a wild card performer this year. And I’m not sure how successful the team will be.
Let’s go to recent history.

For the three years after my freshman year, I knew Syracuse was going to be good every year. I was never worried about us making the NCAA tournament (OK, maybe a little before the 2012-2013 season, but that turned out just fine).

After I graduated, the team was good again during the 2013-2014 season. And before last season, although there were mixed opinions, I thought the team would be OK. I didn’t think they’d make a tourney run, but I figured they’d most likely make the tournament. Well, SU wasn’t really “OK” last year. But last year is behind us.

» Related: In a year of change, everything the same for Syracuse basketball

This season, I really don’t know if we’ll make the tournament. People are predicting a good year. A bounce-back year. But there’s too much newness, a slate wiped half-clean (yes, we still have good players, coaching) for me to say I think this team will be really good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom