Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
national-doughnut-day-november-51.png

Welcome to National Doughnut Appreciation Day!

Move over beignets and cafe au lait, today is National Doughnut Appreciation Day. (Flipping through Steff Deschenes' "Eat the Year" book there are a lot of Doughnut Days, so pace yourself.)

For some it's a rare treat. For others it's a religion. Every Sunday my grandparents used to take me to Shipley's doughnuts in Alexandria, Louisiana, after mass. My favorite: doughnut holes.

I never ventured much past the regular glazed. To this day I feel a bit overwhelmed going into a gourmet doughnut place, although I tip my hat to the genius to decided to put bacon on a doughnut.

Homer Eating Doughnuts

SU News

GettyImages-495408076.0.jpg

Is SU Basketball on the Verge of an Offensive Renaissance? (TNIAAM; Neuman!)

Over the past few seasons, you could have described the Syracuse Orange basketball offense in many different ways. However, even the most honest observer struggled to find many positive adjectives to use. Most of the time, words like "one-dimensional," "predictable" and "unimaginative" have come to mind.

Now, not all of that had to do with Jim Boeheim's abilities as a coach or the system he was running. Boeheim just didn't have many threats to score in recent years. Generally, the offense boiled down to "clear out for the alpha dog (C.J. Fair and Rakeem Christmas most recently) and if that isn't open, hope Tyler Travis Trevor Cooney gets hot from deep.

Sometimes that worked. Christmas and Fair both had moments when they were simply unstoppable and led their teams to victories. And Cooney will always have his three-point bonanza against Notre Dame. But more often than not, it led to many sub-60-point outings and perhaps culminated with last year's unwatchable 46-45 rock fight against Georgia Tech.

And before you take to the comments, yes, I am aware that we have only seen this team play one exhibition game against LeMoyne, a Division II school. But the Orange still did some things that should leave fans hopeful they can be light years more diverse on offense this year than they have in the past.

110315_S_jimboeheimlemoyne_JessicaSheldon_SP1.jpg

Poll: What Do You Think About SU Basketball Attempting 32 3-Pointers Per Game? (DO; Staff)

In its first preseason exhibition against Le Moyne, Syracuse jacked 32 3-pointers, eight more than in any single game last season. It’s a part of the new offense that Jim Boeheim said will live more behind the arc.

What do you think of Boeheim’s new scheme? Let us know below and leave a comment.

Other

Obit_Earl_Lloyd_Basketball-02e95-713.jpg

Throw Thursday: 60 Years Ago, the Nats Beat Fort Wayne 114-113 in Overtime to Open the Season (basketball-reference.com;)

The two teams played in the NBA Finals that spring (see below). The Nats would go on to a disappointing season, finishing with a 35-37 record..

Fort Wayne Pistons (0-1)

Basic Box Score Stats
Player MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
Mel Hutchins 10 4 7 .571 1 24
George Yardley 7 10 13 .769 6 24
Odie Spears 6 5 6 .833 5 17
Max Zaslofsky 5 6 7 .857 6 16
Larry Foust 3 6 7 .857 5 12
Bob Houbregs 2 4 6 .667 5 8
Chuck Noble 2 5 4
Andy Phillip 3 4 .750 4 3
Corky Devlin 1 1 2 3
Johnny Horan 2
Don Bielke 1

Team Totals 265 37 39 113
Syracuse Nationals (1-0)

Basic Box Score Stats
Player MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
Paul Seymour 4 11 15 .733 3 19
Dolph Schayes 3 9 6 15
Dick Farley 5 5 6 .833 1 15
George King 3 8 9 .889 1 14
Earl Lloyd 5 2 3 .667 6 12
Red Rocha 3 5 7 .714 6 11
Red Kerr 3 5 6 .833 5 11
Ed Conlin 3 3 6 9
Billy Kenville 2 1 3 .333 5
Jim Tucker 1 1 3 3

Team Totals 265 32 50 114

I know it's the angle of the shot, but in the Nats picture, doesn't #11 at least slightly resemble Stevie Thompson?

If the rest of the staff is still on board, when Hop moves to HC I'm pretty sure Allen Griffin is a good bet to be the new guy.
Good catch, I had forgotten about him.

If the rest of the staff is still on board, when Hop moves to HC I'm pretty sure Allen Griffin is a good bet to be the new guy.
He might just take over for Archie Miller one day too. I remember him comparing Dayton and Syracuse in an article a while back, mostly about how it was the biggest thing in town and how everybody you meet is a fan.

It would be nice to have a former big for an assistant to work with the young bigs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom