Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
usmc.gif

Welcome to USMC Day!

USMC Day celebrates the birth of the United States Marine Corps. The Marine Corps were created during the Revolutionary War.

The Continental Congress of the newly created United States of America, authorized the creation of the Continental Marines on November 10, 1775. It was later renamed the U.S. Marine Corps. It is often abbreviated as USMC.

The Marine Corps has proudly participated in every war that has involved the United States.

If you see a Marine today, thank them for their contributions to protecting our country. Active or retired, they deserve our thanks and appreciation.

SU News

xmasstjohns1.jpg

Syracuse Plays St John's Back at MSG in December

2015-16 SU Basketball Preview: Schedule Analysis (thejuice; Stechschulte)

If it appears that this season’s non-conference schedule is loaded, you are correct.

The Battle 4 Atlantis field is stacked: Gonzaga starts the year ranked #11, Connecticut is at #24, Michigan and Texas A&M just missed the pre-season top 25, and Texas received votes in the opening polls, as well. Only first round foe Charlotte and Washington joined SU in not garnering pre-season poll votes. The Orange drew Wisconsin as their ACC-Big Ten Challenge opponent and the Badgers come into the season ranked #17 in the nation. Georgetown also received votes in the preseason poll, adding another strong opponent to the ledger. In short, the five games spanning the last week of November and first week of December should speak volumes about how the Orange season will unfold.

The ACC schedule will be rough, as always. North Carolina starts the season in a tie atop the national poll, Duke is fourth, and Virginia holds the number six spot. Notre Dame enters the season at #18, while Louisville, NC State, Florida State, and Miami all garnered some votes. With home-and-home series with both the Tar Heels and Seminoles, Syracuse will get ten conference games against opponents talented enough to merit pre-season poll support.

Throw in that Jim Boeheim will be away from the team for the games from the December 30 matchup at Pitt through the Notre Dame tilt on January 28, which includes games with powerhouses North Carolina, Duke, and Virginia, and SU will be seriously tested throughout the season.

JB Discusses Investment in Student Apartment Complex #BLVD404 (DO; Samuels)

Jim Boeheim lived in Watson Hall for a year and Kimmel Hall for three years as an undergraduate at Syracuse University.

He didn’t mind dorm living, he said, but he said he thinks student apartments will be the housing of the future around college campuses.

As a result, Boeheim is an investor in #BLVD404, a new student apartment complex being built at 404 University Ave. Boeheim said he met the creators of the luxury apartment project through a friend. All three project founders are SU alumni. Construction is expected to be completed this summer, and students can lease for the fall 2016 semester.

“I’m a small participant in this. I’m a basketball coach,” Boeheim said. “I just think it’s a good idea. I think it’ll be good for the campus.”

Boeheim said the biggest difference in housing from when he was a student is that the Skytop Apartments didn’t exist when he was in school. He lived in a dormitory for four years as an undergraduate and was a resident adviser as a graduate student, he said.

He said dorms are all right, but said they’re more a thing of the past, and student apartments are the thing of the future where students have their own bedroom.

• Coon.jpg

SU Starts 3 Shooters, Forcing Defenses to Make a Choice (DO; Dougherty)

It took two scrimmage wins, both over Division II opponents, for Trevor Cooney to decide that Syracuse’s offense is going to make opposing defenses choose how to fail.

“They have to guard someone,” Cooney said after the Orange beat Florida Southern, 96-54, on Monday. “They’re going to leave somebody open and we’ll make them pay.”

Cooney was referring to Michael Gbinije, Malachi Richardson and himself, which seems to be the three-headed monster at the head of Syracuse’s perimeter-focused offense. They are expected to start with Tyler Roberson and Dajuan Coleman when SU hosts Lehigh for its regular-season opener at 7 p.m. on Friday. That will be the first full look at what, by their estimation, is a trio of shooters that will space the floor effectively and help each other drive.

Gbinije, a fifth-year senior, is the point guard but all three of them can push the ball in transition and get the Orange into its half-court sets. Cooney, also a fifth-year senior, carries the pedigree of a sharpshooter and draws attention just by standing on the court. Richardson, already looking like a precocious freshman, has stroked it from deep in Syracuse’s exhibition wins and has no problem creating his own space off the dribble.

Put the three together, and you get an intriguing blend of experience more than capable of leading an offense.

“He’s definitely getting opportunities based off of me and Trev, which is a good thing,” Gbinije said of Richardson. “He’s capitalizing on it as well, and I hope he continues to do that because it will open up things for me and Trev, as well.”

111015_S_a1mbb20_BryanCereijo_SP.jpg

Tyler Lydon Uses Shooting Stroke to Provide Versatility for SU as Frosh (DO; Blum)

Tyler Lydon was always the brother that listened to his mother’s advice on proper shooting form. Whether it was making sure he was shooting from over his head, forcing his elbow between his eyes or practicing a follow through, Susan Lydon passed down what she knew.

It’s a form that Lydon has carried with him from days of playing Around the World with his mother in their backyard to his role as a contributor for Syracuse. Susan — a former college basketball player — never knew how tall Tyler would be or how much he’d rely on his shooting ability, but his stroke dates back to her wisdom.

“I really think it did stem from what we would teach him at home,” Susan said. “The high school coaches, I haven’t seen any of them teach any of my kids any kind of form. I guess I’m going to take the credit for it.”

Standing at 6 feet, 9 inches, Lydon’s shooting stroke is what helps define his versatility as he gets set to start his freshman season. He can play small forward, stretch the floor at power forward and has the size to contribute to a center position that lacks depth.

After transferring high schools to help boost his level of competition, Lydon got on college coaches’ maps. But he still hopes to exceed the expectations placed on him.

“He’s been a guy you can pick-and-pop with, and a guy who can go to the corner and really space out and get driving lanes … teams have to respect it,” senior guard Trevor Cooney said. “Defensively and offensively, he’s been really good for us and he’s definitely a lot more athletic than most people think he is.”

Frosh Guards Transition to College Basketball (temple-news.com; McCue)

Team Final Basketball’s American Athletic Union program has had some talented players put on its blue, neon yellow and black Nike uniforms.

Former Philadelphia-area prospects and current NBA players Tyreke Evans, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Dion Waiters and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson all came through the Philly-based organization.

In 2014, Levan Shawn Alston, Jr. and Trey Lowe suited up for Team Final with several other top high school prospects including Lowe’s cousin and Syracuse-commit Malachi Richardson, ranked the No. 35 high school prospect by , Villanova-commit Donte DiVincenzo and Saint Joseph’s-commit LaMarr Kimble.

“At practice all the time it was very competitive,” said Lowe, now a freshman at Temple. “We were always going at each other no matter who was guarding us.”

Alston and Lowe both came to Temple ranked as three-star prospects by . Rivals listed Aslton as the No. 111 player in the country while ranking Lowe No. 127.

Alston, the son of former Temple player Levan Alston Sr., played at the Haverford School, and USA Today named him Pennsylvania’s Gatorade Player of the Year. Lowe was a 2,000-point scorer for Ewing High School in New Jersey.

After playing together on Team Final, the two decided to attend the same college. Along with Temple, Alston and Lowe said other schools they could have played together included Virginia Commonwealth University, Penn State, the University of Notre Dame, Stanford University and Marquette University.

Other

-9bbc0fb6ae9f6ffb.jpg

Giant Christmas Tree Deliver to Clinton Square (PS; Photo Gallery; Canterelli)

The 2015 Clinton Square Christmas tree was cut down in North Syracuse and delivered to downtown Syracuse on Monday November 9th 2015. A large crane operated by JPW Erectors of Syracuse lifts the giant Norway Spruce from its flatbed trailer.

Here is a story from this morning's syracuse.com about the three freshmen:

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...tigue_odd_teammate_habits.html#incart_m-rpt-1

After reading the above, I have a question. I know a person who used to serve the basketball players supper as a group. This was back in the late 90's, and she stopped the year before our national champ team. It sounds like now they are on their own, and so some of them are eating pop tarts??