Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
thanksgiving1.jpg

Welcome to Blackout Wednesday!

Blackout Wednesday or "Drinksgiving" is the night before the Thanksgiving holiday in the United States, which is always a Thursday. It is associated with binge drinking since very few people work on Thanksgiving, and most university students are home to celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday with their families.[1] The name refers to "blacking out", memory loss due to excessive alcohol intoxication. In the suburbs of Chicago in particular, Blackout Wednesday is sometimes a more popular partying night than even New Year's Eve or Saint Patrick's Day.[1] In some cities it is the top drunk drivingnight of the year.[2]

SU News

-991d0f2bfad226e9.JPG

Photos and Observations From Reporters at Battle 4 Atlantis (PS; Ditota & Waters)

Beat reporters Donna Ditota and Mike Waters are in the Bahamas to cover the Syracuse basketball team's games in the Battle for Atlantis.

The Orange's first game in the tournament is Wednesday at 2:30 p.m.

In between following Jim Boeheim and the team, they're getting a good look around. Here is what they see.

Donna Ditota
I arrived late Monday night to a fairly desolate Atlantis property. The only noise came from a group of Bills-Patriots fans who were watching the game on a huge TV in my hotel lobby. The place shut down that night, but a day later, it was a beehive of activity, with people strolling one of the main promenades deep into the evening.

The property is vast and varied. Marine life abounds. I've seen stingrays, sea turtles, sharks, dolphins and other animals I can't name. It's been so windy, lifeguards have deemed the beach too dangerous. There are pools, waterfalls, lagoons galore, with people happily splashing around in them. And the waterslides? Packed with colorful plastic inner tubes and kids who carry them up stairs to plunge, shrieking, into the awaiting pools.

And, note to bosses, food is insanely expensive. It cost $15.64 this morning for a tiny cup of oatmeal, coffee and a bearclaw pastry.

image1-300x300.jpg

Battle 4 Atlantis to Test SU Basketball's Mettle (thejuice; Marcus)

College basketball is back in full swing. And while SU has only played lesser teams thus far (and struggled at times), we just haven’t been able to see what Cuse is truly made of. And we may not until later in the season. But the upcoming Battle 4 Atlantis in the Bahamas should provide a good litmus test of how good this team is.

They say the Bahamas are paradise, but facing fellow tourney participants UConn or Michigan and then potentially Gonzaga sounds like something I wouldn’t equate to paradise. Then SU goes home, and gets to face…Wisconsin. Then to D.C. to face…wait for it…GEORGETOWN. Then St. John’s a couple games later.

This is no easy ride. But I’d much rather face tough opponents early on than cupcakes. It should give you confidence and better experience for playing against tougher competition later on.

But now I’m looking to Thursday. Thanksgiving. A chance to gobble up either UConn (forever hated foe) or Michigan (still not forgiven for that ’13 Final Four loss).

» Related: Boeheim tinkers with different lineups in early season matchup

The sport of Thanksgiving is football. Used to be some NBA too. But now college basketball has its own footing on the holiday. So many big-name teams playing in tourneys.

We can see what SU is made of. Are the Orange young? Is the trio of Trevor Cooney, Michael Gbinije and Malachi Richardson for real? What about Tyler Roberson? Dajuan Coleman? I can’t wait to see if they step up to the plate.

Other

-5da9e8768c094ec2.JPG

Black Friday 2015 Store Hours: Who's Open and Thanksgiving and Black Friday? (PS; Tampone)

For the biggest Black Friday destinations, there's no going back when it comes to Thanksgiving hours.

They're all in. Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart and others will launch their Black Friday deals and open their doors on Turkey Day once again in 2015.

For the most part, retailers' hours mirror 2014. J.C. Penney is an exception. The chain pushed its opening back two hours to 3 p.m. this year.

One notable retailer to defect from Thanksgiving hours is Staples. Stores open at 6 a.m. Black Friday this year after being open on Thanksgiving in the past.

Plenty of other stores will stay closed on Thanksgiving too, but most of them have been doing so for years.

Our complete guide to store hours is below. Some of these times could change, so double check before you leave.

We'll have full coverage of all the Thanksgiving and Black Friday shopping insanity on Syracuse.com. Tweet us at #cnyblackfriday with opinions, tips, ideas or rants.

And if your Black Friday plans include Destiny USA, check out our completeonline guide to the mall.

Opening Thanksgiving morning
Wal-Mart: Many stores open 24 hours, Black Friday deals start at 6 p.m.
Kmart: 6 a.m.
Big Lots: 7 a.m. (closing at midnight and reopening at 6 a.m. Black Friday)
Bass Pro Shops: 8 a.m. (closing at 6 p.m. and reopening at 5 a.m. Black Friday)
Gander Mountain: 8 a.m. (closing at midnight and reopening at 5 a.m. Black Friday)

bballbeadle said:
I'm pretty sure these are our people. The couple on the left is from Alaska!

All good people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom