Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
12006282_1495605264086823_6466100148104155484_n.jpg

Welcome to International Programmers Day!

It’s an exciting time to be living in! Technology just keeps getting better every year thanks to the contributions of programmers.

Let’s take a quick look at some of the accomplishments of IT in 2014:
* Mobile got bigger and better! iPhone6 was released; – 10 million sold within 3 days; Google announced Android has over 1 billion active customers.
* Google opened up Google Glass testing; Visa CheckOut was announced with a barrage of celebrity commercials; Google works on self driving cars; IBM spends $1 billion on Watson AI technology, includingbuying up AI companies.
* Java SE 8 was released!
* New APIs released like Gmail, AdWords, DropBox, and more
* Raspberry Pi Model B+ released: Want to run a Linux server serving up PHP pages on Apache connecting to a MySQL database wirelessly in the palm of your hand? Check out the Raspberry Pi Model B+. You could also plug it in HDMI to your tv, plug in a USB keyboard and mouse, and surf the web from a “computer” that fits in your pocket. And with 4 million Raspberry Pi’s sold since its inception in 2012, there is a huge online community.
* Programming became cool when President Obama and a host of celebrities joined in on code.org

SU News

19503199-mmmain.jpg

Syracuse Players on 0-3 Start to ACC Play: 'It Feels Terrible' (PS; Waters)

Syracuse had just suffered a heart-breaking overtime loss to Clemson and the Orange's post-game locker room was full of hushed tones and long faces.

The loss had dropped Syracuse's record to 10-6 on the season and 0-3 in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Questions were many, answers were hard to find and the dejection was almost palpable.

"No one in this room likes to lose at all,'' SU guard Trevor Cooney said. "We're not used to losing. So, yeah, it feels terrible.''

Syracuse's three straight losses to open ACC play mark the first time since 1996-97 that the Orange has lost its first three conference games. The 1996-97 squad lost its first four Big East games. Syracuse also lost its first three Big East games in 1992-93.

This year's Orange will have to beat 6th-ranked North Carolina on Saturday to avoid matching the 1997 team's 0-4 conference start, which remains the worst in school history.

"It obviously sucks to lose, but I can't do anything about it now,'' Syracuse senior Michael Gbinije said after the Clemson loss. "So the smartest, healthiest thing to think about it is try to prepare for North Carolina and be ready to give it our best shot. Starting out anything 0-3 is always bad, but at some point, you've got to put things behind you. You can't let it get to you and just be ready to play basketball.''

IMG_5031.jpg

ESPN Will Air JB and Bilas Watching Syracuse-Miami Game (TNIAAM; Pregler)

One of the big things we've joked/genuinely wondered about is how Jim Boeheim handles watching the Orange during this nine game suspension. We're about to get a look.

For as hard of a time many of give ESPN (myself included), they do know what they're doing, most of the time. Case in point: ESPN set up Jay Bilas and Jim Boeheim together in a Syracuse hotel room to watch the Syracuse Orange versus Miami Hurricanes game. Portions of this will air on SportsCenter this week and during the Syracuse-North Carolina game Saturday night.

First off: this is awesome. Not only because this is literally something I've seen mentioned on social/in the comments, but because if there's someone who can hang with Jimmy B's sarcasm, wit and general NCAA hating, it's Jay Bilas. Bilas' comments after Boeheim's news broke probably helped all of this along, seeing we know how well Jimmy has gotten along with other ESPN talent in the past.

Secondly, even with the Orange's 0-3 start to the ACC schedule, it shows just how much of a name Syracuse basketball is. Yes, Saturday night's game has Jim Boeheim returning (which is a helluva story in itself) but UNC-Syracuse is a premier game in the eyes of the ESPN all powerful.

So with that, let's start imagining all of the amazing snarky comments Boeheim had during this one, and how many will actually be allowed to air.

Other

Screen-Shot-2014-02-19-at-12.59.25-PM.png

Miners Trapped 900 Feel Below Ground in Finger Lakes Salt Mine (PS; Coin)

Seventeen workers are stuck 900 feet below ground in an elevator shaft at the Cargill Salt Mine in Lansing, according to reports.

The Tompkins County Department of Emergency Response is sending rescue experts and equipment, according to a tweet from the department. The Ithaca Fire Departmentsaid on its Facebook page the workers had been stuck since 10:20 p.m. Wednesday, and that a crane from Auburn has arrived this morning to help in the rescue effort.

No one has been injured, and emergency crews have been in "constant communication" with the workers, a Cargill spokesman told WHCU radio.

Rescuers have given the workers blankets, heat packs, and other supplies, the Ithaca Voice reports. The Voice also quotes an unnamed emergency official as saying: "They are safe. It's just a matter of getting them out."

At 2,300 feet, the mine is the deepest in North America. The mine shaft is at Portland Point, on the eastern shore near the south end of Cayuga Lake, and the mine itself stretches north along the lake to a mile past Taughannock Point, the company's website says.

Miners will be lifted out two or three at a time, Mark Klein, communications director for Cayuga Salt Mine, told NBC News.

Syracuse.com videographer Matt Adams recently toured the mine. You can see his video at the top of this story.

JB: "You've got to go down there and get it. [JB places hands on head] Geez, we still didn't get it."

I remember the exact sequence, and believe I had a similar reaction, although I may have thrown in a few expletives.