Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant

Welcome to Ash Wednesday!

Ash Wednesday , a day of fasting, is the first day of Lent in Western Christianity. It occurs 46 days (40 fasting days, if the 6 Sundays, which are not days of fast, are excluded) before Easter and can fall as early as 4 February or as late as 10 March. Ash Wednesday is observed by many Western Christians, including Anglicans, Lutherans, Methodists,Presbyterians, and Roman Catholics.[note 1][1]

According to the canonical gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke, Jesus Christ spent 40 days fasting in the desert, where he endured temptation by Satan.[2] Lent originated as a mirroring of this, fasting 40 days as preparation for Easter. Every Sunday was seen as a commemoration of the Sunday of Christ's resurrection and so as a feast day on which fasting was inappropriate. Accordingly, Christians fasted from Monday to Saturday (6 days) during 6 weeks and from Wednesday to Saturday (4 days) in the preceding week, thus making up the number of 40 days.[3]

SU News

usa-today-8866261.0.jpg

SU Spring Football Preview: the Quarterbacks (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

It seems like just a week ago (it was less!) that we wrapped up National Signing Day, and yet, we're already turning the page to the 2016 season. Syracuse Orangefootball coach Dino Babers has already stated spring practice will start the last week of February this year, so we wanted to start getting out ahead of the big questions that will undoubtedly be on your mind once that time comes.

Today's topic:

Syracuse quarterbacks have little depth, but some experience
Who's on campus?

Everybody, actually. You all know Eric Dungey, who was electrifying (1,298 passing yards, 18 total TDs, 341 rushing yards) in just seven starts and eight game appearances. But you also know the issues with him taking unnecessary and career-threatening hits.

Beyond Dungey, Austin Wilson is the only other experienced scholarship quarterback in spring ball, but he's struggled mightily with accuracy and turnovers. Freshman Rex Culpepper is on scholarship, but has only been on campus for a month.

Football+cheese+crackers+superbowl+appetizer+recipe.jpg

Let's Watch 'West Side Story' and Bake with Dino (TNIAAM; Keeley)

The Super Bowl was fine but the real attraction last night was an interview on CNY Central with Syracuse Orange coach Dino Babers. We got some good insight into who Dino is, how he became the man he is and what motivates him as a football coach.

First of all, he's already got his goals in order:

"Having a parking spot on the opposite side of Coach Boehiem at that restaurant (Delmonicos), that would mean that I probably did something right in the community."

Probably the most insightful answer comes in the form of what football means to Babers and how it shaped his view of the world.

"When you say football to me I think fairness. When I was growing up in the '60s there were some things that weren't fair. What I found was the game of football was fair. Even with the officiating then and with the officiating today it was the fairest thing I was involved in" Dino says.

"I always felt if I practiced hard and did the things I was supposed to be doing. Played the game the way it was supposed to be it would treat me fairly. When I think Football I think of something that I trust. Something that I respect and I talk to the players all the time about playing the game the right way and respecting the game, respecting the tradition of the game and the people who came before you to give you this opportunity. It's a very cleansing and purity type thing when I think of football" he adds.

ACC News

fsu-clemson.jpg

Debate Rages Between Florida State and Clemson for ACC Top Dog Honors (espn; Adelson)

Florida State ended up with the No. 1 class in the nation on signing day, unseating Alabama for the top spot. As has been noted before, Jimbo Fisher has had the top class in the ACC every year he has been head coach.

But is a group of incoming freshmen enough to vault the Seminoles ahead of Clemson in the Way-Too-Early Top 25 for 2016? ESPN.com columnist Mark Schlabach says yes.

Schlabach has Florida State No. 2 in his post-signing day Top 25, four spots higher than the first version that appeared after the national championship game. Clemson dropped from No. 1 to No. 5, mostly because it lost six defensive players as early entrants to the NFL draft.

To explain the Seminoles' rise, Schlabach writes: "The Seminoles were already loaded enough to challenge Clemson in the ACC, and then coach Jimbo Fisher signed the country's No. 1 recruiting class. If FSU can get more consistent play at quarterback, it might be the team to beat in the ACC."

Other

19713878-mmmain.jpg

Lake Effect Snow Alert Upgrade for CNY: 8-14 Inches Possible (PS; Coin)

The National Weather Service has upgraded its alert for the lake effect snow storm expected Wednesday and Thursday.

The weather service has issued a lake effect snow advisory, saying that 8 to 14 inches of snow could fall in some areas over 36 hours. Four to 8 inches could fall Wednesday afternoon and evening, with another 4 to 6 inches possible on Thursday.

Lake effect snow tends to move around and hit some areas harder than others, so not all of Central New York is expected to get heavy snow.

The advisory is in effect from 1 p.m. Wednesday to 7 p.m. Thursday for Onondaga, Cayuga, Madison, Cortland, Chenango, Otsego, Oneida and Seneca counties. Aseparate advisory for northern Cayuga and southern Oswego counties calls for up to 5 to 9 inches.

ACC Atlantic
Steve Addazio, Boston College: second-year Florida tackles and tight ends coach
Dino Babers, Syracuse: third-year UCLA asst. head coach/quarterbacks and running backs coach
Dave Clawson, Wake Forest: third-year Richmond head coach
Dave Doeren, N.C. State: first-year Wisconsin co-defensive coordinator/linebackers coach
Jimbo Fisher, Florida State: seventh-year LSU offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach
Bobby Petrino, Louisville: fourth-year Louisville head coach
Dabo Swinney, Clemson: fourth-year Clemson wide receivers coach

ACC Coastal
David Cutcliffe, Duke: first-year Tennessee asst. head coach/off. coordinator/quarterbacks coach
Larry Fedora, North Carolina: second-year Oklahoma State offensive coordinator
Justin Fuente, Virginia Tech: third-year Illinois State offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach
Paul Johnson, Georgia Tech: fifth-year Navy head coach
Bronco Mendenhall, Virginia: second-year BYU head coach
Pat Narduzzi, Pittsburgh: third-year Cincinnati defensive coordinator
Mark Richt, Miami: fifth-year Georgia head coach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online