Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
filename-wedding-907.jpg

Welcome to National Agriculture Day!

What does Ag Day mean to me? In order to answer this question, I have to think back to my “summer vacations” visiting my grandparent’s dairy farm in Prairie du Chien, Wis. As a city kid, when I visited the farm I thought this is amazing and wonderful—the calves, hay bale stacks, garden—there wasn’t a thing I didn’t love. I saw how hard my grandparents and uncles worked every day and thought, this is what I want to do. They were proud of what they did and ate from what they could grow and raise on the farm.

When I went to college, I thought there was only one answer for me—veterinary school! It turns out I was blessed that was not the path I took. I graduated with a degree in meat and animal science and went to work for a company that manufactured milk replacers for livestock. I quickly discovered the road I turned down was the right one for me—working in an office, getting to solve problems every day and doing what I love by being closely connected to agriculture.

SU News

100715.S.WB_.WoodburyFootball.Bolden.jpg

Nico Bolden

403276.jpg

Dalton Keene

Recruiting Roundup: Nico Bolden, Dalton Keene Pick Up Syracuse Offers (the juice; Cheng)

Good luck to Jamie Dixon, who is taking his talents from Pitt to TCU. I think that sound is a sigh of relief from Orange Nation. On to today’s recruiting links…

2017 Indiana tight end Peyton Hendershot is off the board. He tweeted on Monday evening that he committed to Ball State. He was considering offers from Bowling Green, Cincinnati, Miami (OH), and also had a Power 5 offer from the Orange.

2017 Rochester (NY) wide receiver CJ Turner tells ’s Scott Brown that Syracuse’s coaching staff reached out to him on Monday. Turner holds an offer from Old Dominion, and has previously attended Syracuse camp.

Minnesota linebacker Nico Bolden tweeted on Monday evening that he had received an offer from Syracuse. Rated two stars by Scout, Eastern Michigan, Illinois State and Wyoming, among others. SU is his first Power 5 offer.

2017 Littleton (CO) Chatfield athlete Dalton Keene picked up an offer over the weekend from Syracuse, reports ’s Nate Clouse. He also holds offers from Iowa State, Colorado State and Nebraska, among others, and is rated three stars.

14784858-1458582197-640x360.jpg

ACC Commissioner Vague on Future of Dedicated ESPN Channel (wralsportsfan.com; Ovies)

There will come a time when Atlantic Coast Conference commissioner John Swofford will see the breadth of his domain and weep, for there were will no more worlds to conquer. But one conquest remains elusive under his ACC reign: a dedicated television channel from ESPN.

The subject comes up just about every time Swofford has given an extensive interview over the last few years. The talking points are essentially the same every time – the ACC and ESPN will continue to evaluate the industry landscape. However, in his latest interview with 99.9 FM The Fan, Swofford offered more of a hint as to why everyone involved is still in wait-and-see mode.

The prospects for a new channel certainly don't appear great from the outside looking in. Disney, ESPN's parent company, disclosed that the "Worldwide Leader in Sports" has lost 7 million subscribers in two years. The Wall Street Journal reported late last year ESPN has lost 7.2 percent of its subscriber base since 2011. And every consumer who reduces or outright ditches their cable package takes around $6-per-month (and the lesser rates for ESPN 2) out of Disney's Scrooge McDuck bank vault.

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, ESPN's cost-cutting woes were cited by Georgia Tech president G.P. “Bud” Peterson in an October athletic association quarterly board meeting as the reason for the delay.

"[ESPN] had come back and said that in some of the other instances where [conference] networks have started, they lost considerable amounts of money in the first couple of years,” Peterson said.

In a statement, Swofford called the report of a delay "premature and speculative."

Other

Where Are the Best Places for Brunch in Central New York? (PS; Cazentre)

8032653321_43c0a6d904_z.jpeg

Where are the best places to go for brunch in Syracuse and Central New York?

We're talking about that leisurely morning-to-midday meal, usually served on Sundays, that is either a) a grand old tradition b) a super hot trend or c) a grand tradition that has become an annoyingly overdone super hot trend.

Brunch is such a "thing" now that a local author, Le Moyne College sociology professor Farha Ternikar, has written a book on the subject called "Brunch: A History."

"Weekend brunch is as American as Sunday football" she writes.

We enlisted Ternikar's help in putting together this list: The best places in the Syracuse area for brunch:

See the menu

• Brunch hours: 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday; 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday.

Proving that brunch is a tradition that transcends traditional "American" dining, Alto Cinco is a Mexican-influenced eatery that shows what you can do with a little south-of-the-border seasoning and flair. "For a casual brunch my favorite neighborhood spot is Alto Cinco," Ternikar says. "I love their Cinco Slammer (2 eggs with chorizo, toast and hash browns), Huevos Rancheros, turkey bacon and chicken sausage." And take advantage of its expanded dining room. Note: It's sister location, Otro Cinco at 206 S. Warren St. downtown, does a Jamaican-themed brunch from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.

https://accsports.com/acc-news/acc-buzz/clemson-dismisses-defensive-back/

Clemson cornerback Kaleb Chalmers is no longer with the program, according to TigerNet.com. Dabo Swinney told reporters after practice on Monday that he dismissed the redshirt freshman from the team after Chalmers was arrested for drug charges over spring break.

“He is no longer with us,” Swinney said. “Hopefully he will finish school and have an opportunity to grow from his mistakes and actions.”

The Tigers took another hit at the position earlier this month when projected starter Adrian Baker went down with a torn ACL. While corner Cordrea Tankersley is back after an All-ACC junior season, Mark Fields, Ryan Carter and others are now competing to replace early NFL departure Mackensie Alexander on the first team.

Originally a member of the 2015 recruiting class, Chalmers is native of Greenwood, South Carolina.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom