Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Hostess%2BTwinkie%2BDay.jpg

Welcome to National Hostess Twinkie Day!

James Dewar invented the Twinkie in 1930, calling it "the best darn-tootin' idea I ever had." Improving upon such a beloved and iconic treat was quite a task for Hostess - which produces over 500 million Twinkies a year.

A common urban legend claims that Twinkies have an infinite shelf life or can last unspoiled for a relatively long time of ten, fifty, or one hundred years due to the chemicals used in their production.[22] This urban legend is false, although Twinkies can last a relatively long time (25 days or more). In reality, Twinkies are on the shelf for a short time; a company executive told the New York Times in 2000 that the "Twinkie is on the shelf no more than 7 to 10 days."[23] Twinkies' myth of having a long shelf life has been referenced in films and television shows such as Die Hard, WALL-E, Zombieland, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, The Simpsons, Wizard of Id, Lost and Family Guy."

SU News

53041f1e7e1a5.image.jpg

Former Athenian Found Success On and Off the Playing Field (dailypostathenian.com; Slayton)

Now, I've mentioned Ryan Flynn before, a youngster who attended Athens Junior High School and who I coached in youth football while restarting the program in Athens during the early 1990s.

John Flynn, who worked for Niota Textiles, also helped me coach. One day, I went to John and told him that I wanted Ryan to be my quarterback, although he was only 12 and there were probably more athletic candidates for the job. I felt like Ryan had the mental capacity to run my system and that would allow me to use those other athletes elsewhere.

"But he's never played quarterback," said John.

I responded; "Don't worry, I can teach him how to play the position."

To make a long story short and get to the good stuff, Ryan proved to be an excellent student of the game. Unfortunately, a year later the family moved back to their native Northeast section of the United States - you know like New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, etc. In other words, where those #&@+ Yankees live. Just kidding guys - you know I love you.

A couple of years later, I got a call from John, saying Ryan had earned the starting quarterback role for his high school team as a sophomore and thanked me for helping him to make that transition.

Two years later, they phoned again to say that Ryan, who would graduate at age 17, had been approached by a prestigious private school in the area and had been offered a scholarship - if he was willing to repeat his junior year.

The Flynns agreed and Ryan went on to have an award-winning career there, being named the Northeast Private School Player of the Year. He then received several scholarship offers (including NCAA Division I N.C. State, West Virginia and Syracuse) before making the decision to attend Harvard University, one of three Ivy League schools that sought his services.

After a couple of years of playing quarterback and wide receiver, Ryan suffered a career-ending injury, but that's just where the real story of Ryan Flynn starts.

19542535-mmmain.jpg

The Next Donovan McNabb? Jaws Thinks It Could Be Dak Prescott (nj.com; Lombardo)

Drafting quarterbacks is an inexact science and mining franchise quarterbacks in the later rounds is one of the more difficult tasks that personnel executives face every year.

In this year's class the top three quarterbacks off the board are expected to be North Dakota State's Carson Wentz, California's Jared Goff and Memphis' Paxton Lynch, in some order and potentially all in the first round. Beyond those three prospects, there are several quarterbacks that have garnered plenty of attention but few can't miss selections in the bunch.

One quarterback that has stood out to ESPN NFL analyst Ron Jaworski is Mississippi State's Dak Prescott.

"Dak Prescott is a guy that I really, really like," Jaworski said, during a conference call with NFL reporters Tuesday. "He reminds me to a certain degree of Donovan McNabb, coming out of Syracuse. He had that mobility, played in that unique style of offense. Had a lot of play-action and I'm telling you, Prescott has been very impressive with his ability to throw the football."

ACC's Big Four Land Major Prospects (fayobserver.com; Batten)

North Carolina’s four Atlantic Coast Conference schools ushered in the arrival of April by reeling in major prospects last weekend.

Duke and Wake Forest secured verbal commitments from a pair of highly touted tight ends, while North Carolina and N.C. State landed two talented Southern linebacker recruits.

The Blue Devils scored the most prominent commitment Thursday when Wilmette, Illinois, tight end Jake Marwede turned down scholarship offers from schools such as Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Nebraska and Oho State for a chance to play in Durham.

The 6-foot-5, 238-pounder is rated the nation’s No. 18 tight end prospect byhttp:///.

“I like everything about Duke,’’ Marwede told Bob Narang of the Chicago Tribune after following an unofficial visit to Duke’s campus last Wednesday.

Marwede caught 16 passes for 227 yards and a touchdown as a junior for the Illinois Class 8A state champion Loyola Academy. He is the fifth prospect to join the Blue Devils’ recruiting Class of 2017.

Other

13542793-mmmain.jpg

Syracuse Chiefs Lay Out Conditions to Make Opening Day Happen (PS; Webb)

Syracuse Chiefs general manager Jason Smorol is a realist and an optimist.

Sometimes, the two come crashing together as they did on Tuesday during a press conference to advance the team's season opener at NBT Bank Stadium on Thursday.

Smorol is hoping the weather will behave and that groundskeeper John Stewart can get the playing field dried out and shoveled out after a weekend snow storm left 5 inches of calling cards behind.

Whether Mother Nature cooperates - and that includes rain in the forecast Wednesday and Thursday - remains to be seen.

Smorol said the Chiefs will not open the gates on Thursday unless they're convinced the field is playable and the weather will hold off. He said there's a chance the team could even make the call on Wednesday night.

Smorol, as you can hear in this video from colleague Matt Adams, laid out the conditions and the obstacles for the Chiefs to play on Opening Day.

http://video-embed.syracuse.com/ser...AAAAPLpuTok~,Mq6Bf5KTh4CNk04xgb0fhNsE4sqxZ6vz

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom