Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
halloween1.jpg
Welcome to Orange Out Eve!

SU News

Sterling_JessicaSheldon_PE.jpg

Sterling Hofrichter tries to fill Riley Dixon's void/ (DO; Schneidman)

Gone are the days of Syracuse punter Heisman campaigns. So too, presumably, are the highlight-reel fake punts on fourth downs. Riley Dixon is starting for the defending Super Bowl champion Denver Broncos now. Syracuse has Sterling Hofrichter.

Who?

“You’re talking about my punter?” Dino Babers said with a laugh when asked about Hofrichter on Wednesday’s Atlantic Coast Conference coaches teleconference.

A relative unknown in the post-Dixon era, Hofrichter recognizes he can’t replicate the star that Dixon became amid a tumultuous 2015 season. After all, he’s eight inches shorter and 36 pounds lighter than Dixon was last year, and his 5-foot-9, 183-pound frame makes him the shortest and second-lightest starting punter in the Atlantic Coast Conference. But after a year under Dixon’s tutelage, Hofrichter will continue his turn in the punter’s spotlight when Syracuse (1-0) faces No. 13 Louisville (1-0) in the Carrier Dome Friday at 8 p.m.

“You can’t really try to be like Riley,” Hofrichter said. “Two different people … I guess to other people there is pressure, but I’m trying to just think of it as there’s no pressure. Just come in, just try to do what I can do.”

Chain-setting controversy becomes focus ahead of Syracuse's matchup with No. 13 Louisville (DO; Libonati)

Dino Babers thinks it’s overblown and Bobby Petrino wants the officials to do their job. Whether the chains are set before a snap has become a focal point of Syracuse’s (1-0) matchup with No. 13 Louisville (1-0) on Friday at 8 p.m.

Petrino said he spoke with an Atlantic Coast Conference official and found out the chains that mark the distance to a first down have to be set before the ball can be snapped. But ACC coordinator of football officiating Dennis Hennigan said otherwise, per Stephan Bailey of Syracuse.com.

“Assuming that the offense does not substitute, the officials will allow the offense to snap the ball when the officials are in position, and when the “box,” i.e., the down indicator, is set,” Hennigan said. “The officials do not wait for the chains to get set. Both the box and the chains move upon the direction of the officials.”

On Monday, Petrino said to local media he’d like to make sure that the chains are set before SU snaps the ball because that didn’t happen several times in the Orange’s matchup with Colgate.

Babers thought the “box,” which marks the line of scrimmage, is the only thing that has to be set. Hennigan confirmed that.

Syracuse’s no-huddle offense sometimes is able to set up faster than the chain crew when the offense gains a first down. At least once against Colgate, an official held SU quarterback Eric Dungey back from snapping the ball.

Video: Todd Grantham Discusses Challenges With Syracuse Uptempo Offense – The Cardinal Connect (thecardinalconnect.com; Staff)

The Louisville Cardinals will have their first challenge of the season on Friday when they travel to up-state New York to take on the Syracuse Orange. Defensive coordinator Todd Grantham along with defensive lineman Chris Williams and linebacker Stacy Thomas met with the media following Tuesday’s practice to discuss the match-up.

New Syracuse head coach Dino Babers is known for his fast uptempo offense.

“It’s college football. We’ve played fast teams before and we’ll play them again,” Grantham said. “I mean, it’s the way college football is so we understand that. We know as soon as we make a tackle we need to get lined up and go play so we’ll deal with it.”

CrwevdvXYAEvu8w.0.jpg

Syracuse football: All-orange uniforms announced for #OrangeOut vs. Louisville
(TNIAAM; Cassillo)

I’ve known for awhile that the Syracuse Orange had dubbed this Friday’s matchup with the Louisville Cardinals an #OrangeOut. Thankfully, the uniforms they’ll be wearing for the game reflect the promotion pretty accurately:

It wouldn't be an #OrangeOut without the all-Orange look for Friday's game.#LOUvsCUSE #OrangeIsTheNewFast pic.twitter.com/i9Kt1M7chN

— Syracuse Football (@CuseFootball) September 7, 2016

This is the second straight game SU is wearing the orange jerseys this season, and third in a row dating back to the finale vs. Boston College last year. Last week, they wore blue helmets and blue pants with those orange jerseys. SU wore the all-orange look three different times in 2015, resulting in wins over Wake Forest and BC, and a road loss to USF.

Overall, the orange uniform elements have given us a mixed bag of results, though take them with a grain of salt given the team’s 8-17 record since this uniform set was introduced. Syracuse is 5-12 with orange helmets, 3-1 with orange jerseys and 4-5 in orange pants since the start of 2014.

With the #OrangeIsTheNewFast branding, it would make sense that the team wears its sharp orange jerseys more often this season to coincide with the new era. Under DOCTOR Gross, this would’ve been a perfect opportunity to wear all-PLATINUM. But luckily we’ve moved on from those days of painfully avoiding obvious branding opportunities.

For those curious, Louisville is actually going color-block as well this Friday, though they’ll be wearing all-white. Should make for a pretty interesting visual that I can’t recall seeing previously.

On a slightly related note, Fanatics.com (runs Syracuse’s e-commerce) reduced SU’s jersey prices by 30 percent this week, which is “typically” indicative of new merchandise replacing it. Could the orange jerseys FINALLY be en route to consumers for purchase? Wild speculation could mean yes. Or maybe it’s just a temporary ploy to move merchandise around the season. We’ll hopefully find out soon enough.

Other

21066907-mmmain.jpg

Research priorities set for Joe Biden's cancer moonshot (PS; AP)

A new report outlines a scientific roadmap for the White House's cancer "moonshot" initiative — urging research to harness the power of immune-based therapy, and to better tailor treatment by helping more patients get their tumors genetically profiled.

Those are among a list of recommendations issued Wednesday by a panel of cancer experts and patient advocates advising the moonshot project on ways to speed progress against the nation's No. 2 killer.

Also on the list: Learning what drives childhood cancer, finding ways to minimize the side effects of treatment, and making better use of some proven anti-cancer strategies. For example, about 3 percent of colorectal cancers are fueled by certain inherited genetic mutations — and the report proposes a pilot project to test all newly diagnosed patients so the relatives of those who harbor the defects could learn if they, too, are at risk.

The recommendations mark "a bold but feasible scientific proposal," said Dr. Doug Lowy, acting director of the National Cancer Institute, who will send the panel's report to Vice President Joe Biden's cancer moonshot task force.

Biden proposed the moonshot idea after his son, Beau, died of brain cancer in 2015. President Barack Obama has requested about $1 billion over two years for the project, money that would be in addition to ongoing cancer research. Whether Congress provides funding will determine how Wednesday's recommendations move forward.

Am I the only one who took pause, or maybe misinterpreted Poliquin's description of the Card's basketball team? I believe it was Louisville Basketball/Strip Club.

Guess that surprised me, unless I'm taking it out of context.

DeShone Kizer officially named Notre Dame’s starting quarterback

To no surprise junior DeShone Kizer was named the starting quarterback on Wednesday. Kizer told the media after practice that Brian Kelly informed him that he would be the starter over Malik Zaire on Saturday against Nevada. Kizer also told the media that he doesn’t expect there to be a rotation in quarterbacks either.

Before the Texas game we all knew that both quarterbacks would play, we just didn’t know how much. Kizer outperformed Zaire by a mile on Sunday night. He was 15/24 for 215 yards and five touchdowns. He also chipped in with 77 rushing yards and a touchdown. Zaire on the other hand was only 2/5 for 23 yards and rushed for zero yards on three attempts.

On top of all the stats Kizer just seemed much more calm and poised while he was in the game. He led the Notre Dame comeback that ultimately fell short, but in the process showed why he should be the Notre Dame quarterback.

We’ll see if Kizer’s words ring true for the rest of the season. There’s no question both are great leaders, but it’s unlikely Zaire took this news well. Judging by body language alone, he did not seem too pleased when Kizer took control last Sunday night. It should be imperative for Kelly and the staff to keep Zaire engaged while he is the backup. This decision should not create friction in the locker room.

Could this mean the end for Zaire at Notre Dame? Maybe, maybe not. He is scheduled to graduate at the end of the fall semester which would make him eligible to be a graduate transfer.

It’s good to see Kelly make a decision on his quarterback position. Most experts thought that this competition would last until at least the Michigan State game. Now that the Irish finally have their man they can focus on improving and winning football games.

Former Syracuse All-American and rare disease patient, Rob Long, joins Uplifting Athletes team

rob-long3.jpg
Uplifting Athletes is pleased to welcome Rob Long to our team as the Director of Strategic Development.

Rob is a former All-American punter at Syracuse University, but more importantly he was a rare disease patient. In December of 2010, Rob was diagnosed with anaplastic astrocytoma, a rare and aggressive form of brain cancer, during his senior season.

His battle with a rare disease inspired Rob’s teammates at Syracuse to start an Uplifting Athletes Chapter. And he’s continued to use his platform as a rare disease patient to raise awareness and funds in his spare time.

“It is truly a blessing to love what I do. This opportunity allows me to combine my passions of sports and fundraising to help a cause so near and dear to my heart,” Long said. “At Uplifting Athletes we raise money and awareness that supports rare disease research and patient focused programs.

“As a rare disease survivor I now have the opportunity to help others as so many have helped me.”

At Uplifting Athletes, Rob will be responsible for overseeing our nationwide network of 25 college football student-athlete led Chapters, harvesting major donor gifts and devising and executing growth opportunities for the national non-profit organization.

“We are excited and fortunate to have Rob join the Uplifting Athletes team,” Uplifting Athletes Founder and Executive Director Scott Shirley said. “Rob was an inspiration for Syracuse starting a chapter and it’s been fun to watch Syracuse grow into one of our bigger chapters. His unique perspective as a rare disease patient will serve Uplifting Athletes well today and into the future.”

Rob is a graduate of Syracuse University where he pursued a Masters in New Media Management from the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. He also received a B.S. from the Martin J. Whitman School of Management. He played football all four years at Syracuse and was voted by his teammates as a team captain his final two years.

Prior to joining Uplifting Athletes, Rob spent 12 months as the Director of Sales for ProZone Lockers. A native of suburban Philadelphia, Rob graduated from Downingtown West High School and currently lives in South Philadelphia.

Syracuse is one of 15 Power Five schools that hasn't hosted 'Gameday'. The others: Louisville, Wake Forest, Virginia, Maryland, Indiana, Rutgers, Minnesota, Illinois, Baylor, Kansas, Iowa State, Cal, Washington State and Mississippi State.

Syracuse is one of 15 Power Five schools that hasn't hosted 'Gameday'. The others: Louisville, Wake Forest, Virginia, Maryland, Indiana, Rutgers, Minnesota, Illinois, Baylor, Kansas, Iowa State, Cal, Washington State and Mississippi State.
lol, whats interesting is that if UL wins, they could very well get off this list next week!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom