Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-Do-Something-Nice-Day-October-5-1-e1474396585835.jpg

Welcome to Do Something Nice Day!

Today is Do Something Nice Day. Go ahead, do something nice, anything nice. And, do it to, or for, another individual. It won't hurt...we promise.

Doing something nice for someone almost always evokes a very pleasant response. At the very least, it results in a smile. More likely, that person will do something nice to, or for you. And, best of all, doing something nice just might be contagious.

In keeping with the spirit of this day, set a goal to do something nice for someone. Perhaps, you can do this for several people. Then, sit back and watch the results!

SU News

1d0Y21b.jpg

Wake Forest Demon Deacons — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

Syracuse (2-3, 0-1 ACC) is looking for its first ACC win of the Dino Babers era when it travels to North Carolina to take on Wake Forest on Saturday. Here is a quick look at the game:

WAKE FOREST REVIVAL: After two straight 3-9 seasons at Wake Forest, Dave Clawson appears to be turning around the fortunes with the Demon Deacons. Wake Forest won its first four games of the season, with impressive road wins on the road against Power 5 teams Duke and Indiana. The Deacons have done it with a vastly improved defense that is ranked 38th nationally, allowing just 363.8 yards per game. But Wake Forest also allowed an uncharacteristic 527 yards against NC State in a 33-16 loss. Too often, the Deacons settled for field goals in the red zone. “I think if we scored more touchdowns it would’ve been a different game,” Clawson said following the loss. “They stopped us when they had to.”

» Related: Talking Syracuse football, Hall of Fame with alum, future inductee

SCOUTING THE DEMON DEACONS: Quarterback John Wolford has thrown for 686 yards and three touchdowns this season in relief of Kendall Hinton, who suffered a sprained PCL in Wake Forest’s game against Delaware. Despite Wake Forest’s offensive struggles against NC State, the one bright spot was Tabari Hines. The sophomore wide receiver hauled in nine passes for 125 yards, both career highs. On defense, watch out for junior defensive end Duke Ejiofor. He already has nine tackles for loss this season, and also leads Wake Forest with 5.5 sacks.

490144874.0.jpg

Syracuse football is looking for a special teams quality control coach (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

This afternoon, Syracuse.com’s Stephen Bailey was kind enough to alert me to a matter that required our immediate attention here at TNIAAM.

Syracuse FB is hiring a special teams quality control coach. Get your resume and cover letter ready, @JohnCassillo:Temporary Football Quality Control-Special Teams pic.twitter.com/GGYoHsIj1l

— Stephen Bailey (@Stephen_Bailey1) October 4, 2016
The Syracuse Orange football program is looking to hire a (temporary) special teams quality control coach. This is very relevant to our recent discussions here, given the very real struggles of SU special teamssince the start of his season. Special teams is currently under Tom Kaufman’s purview, but since he also handles linebackers, perhaps he could use some help.

Your first instinct is “why don’t we just hire Steve Gregory back?” And I agree, that’s the sensible thing to do, given the improved results when he was on the staff last season. But we always try to think outside the box here, so I have another candidate in mind:

Me, of course.

While my recent applications for athletic director and t-shirt designer were rejected, this could be the perfect opportunity for me to join Syracuse athletics once and for all. Let’s take a look at those qualifications...

Job Title: Temporary Football Quality Control-Special Teams

20338924-mmmain.jpg

Longtime Syracuse Orange football fan laments the 'Sauna Dome' (Your letters) (PS; Letters to the Editor)

To the Editor:

I am the third of four generations of Snells to have season tickets for Syracuse University football, back to at least the 1930s. I have six tickets in Row 1 in aisle 245. The steps down to Row 1 are very large. I have to walk with a walker, so I need my son's help to get to my seats. If there were a railing, I could make it alone. We wait until the end of every game to go up and not hold others up.

Now, the Sauna Dome. During the Colgate game, my son was going up to the refreshment stand. All I wanted was a cup of ice. They would not give me a cup of ice for less than $4.

This reminded me of the very first game in the Sauna Dome, Labor Day weekend 1980. My wife, who was five months pregnant, wanted a cup of water. The person at the stand said it would cost $1 or $2 for an empty cup so I could fill in at the drinking fountain.

So, my question is, have we made progress?

James P. Snell
Camillus

Other

China concerned about death of Syracuse student from Beijing (PS; AP)

The Chinese government expressed concern Tuesday about the death of a Syracuse University student from Beijing whose body was found behind an apartment complex near the campus.

Yuan Xiaopeng, 23, was found dead after residents nearby reported hearing gunshots Friday.

The local sheriff's office said Saturday that no suspects had been identified. Syracuse University, in New York state, said in a statement that Yuan was a junior studying mathematics, and that his death appeared to be an "isolated incident."

In a statement issued Tuesday, the Chinese consulate in New York said it had received assurances that local authorities "attached great importance" to Yuan's case. Officials "also requested that the police ensure that the personal safety and legitimate rights and interests of Chinese students not be infringed," the statement said.

The consulate also called on Syracuse University to assist relatives of Yuan who were coming to the United States.

According to Syracuse.com, authorities found Yuan's car in the parking lot of the complex in DeWitt, a Syracuse suburb. The vehicle, a black Chevrolet Camaro sports car with the license plate "SWAG PIP," was seen being hauled away Friday.

Yuan posted a photo of himself sitting atop the car on the Chinese social media site Weibo.

Bummer. Not good news for Syracuse, or any other school that struggles to schedule OOC games very well.
Time for rotating divisions and/or more intra-ACC OOC games.
Add an SU-Vandy series.

Wakes D is just as skewed by playing Delaware as ours is by playing UL.

That one game changes their total by almost 100 yds.. Add in that Tulane dominated them in a rain storm where they could barely pass. the other 3 games they allowed 500 yds per game..

hopefully that shows up against us