Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
b0cdbc644ebd3896fa7f4fa91d8aa8ba.jpg

Welcome to Squid and Cuttlefish Day!

Greetings Blogophiles! Welcome to day three of Cephalopod Awareness Days. Today, October 10th, is the day we celebrate the cephalopods with ten appendages; squid and cuttlefish. Woo Hoo! Finally a subject I actually do research on. Because of that, I celebrate squid and cuttlefish almost daily. But rather than rehash the year and a half my colleagues and I spent monkeying about with chitin in Eocene cuttlebones or the big Cretaceous squid project. Today I’ll focus on calamari. Oh wait…that’s dinner; back to blogging.

So, squid and cuttlefish; most people are aware of squid. They show up in our lives as calamari (yes, I am hungry) or as bait. If you happen to be training to become a neurosurgeon you would practice your skills on squid axons because they are much thicker than axons in the human brain, yet they are morphologically and functionally similar. Squid axons are also being used to study the role environmental toxins may play in Parkinson’s disease.

SU News

SU_Wake-4.jpg

Libonati: Blown chances in Wake Forest loss shatter Syracuse football’s bowl chances (DO; Libonati)

The Wake Forest snap flew over punter Dom Maggio’s head. It bounced toward the end zone as Maggio got to the ball. He started to curve away from the end zone as Parris Bennett reached around him and popped the ball loose. Then the cascade of Syracuse players, including Zaire Franklin, Ted Taylor and Eric Anthony, rumbled toward the end zone. Anthony was the farthest away from the ball, but none came up with it.

Instead, Wake Forest’s Charles Argenzio landed on top of it. SU lost its opportunity for five more points, which would have been useful when it was down 14-9 and looking for any positives it could glean.

“Just a bad play by me,” Franklin said. “That’s all, I’d say. Bad play by me and Ted. I don’t, I don’t know. Just a bad play. That’s all I can say.”

But it was just one of the bad plays. And that’s the problem. The bad plays stacked up, outweighed the good ones and put Syracuse’s (2-4, 0-2 Atlantic Coast) chances at bowl eligibility in jeopardy. That’s not to say SU was expected to make a bowl game because it wasn’t. But SU was expected to put on a better showing than it did in the 19-point loss to a team it has beaten every year since the Orange entered the ACC.

SU_Wake_8_9_16-2.jpg

VOTE: Rate Syracuse football's positional groups midway through the season (DO; Staff)

Our Syracuse football beat writers are releasing midseason grades for different positional groups on the team, which will run in Tuesday’s paper. We want you to participate, so vote in our Twitter polls so we can compare your grades with ours.

How do you grade Syracuse's quarterbacks so far this season?
— Daily Orange Sports (@DOsports) October 9, 2016

How do you grade Syracuse's running backs so far this season?

How do you grade Syracuse's wide receivers so far this season?

How do you grade Syracuse's offensive line so far this season?

How do you grade Syracuse's defensive line so far this season?

How do you grade Syracuse's linebackers so far this season?

How do you grade Syracuse's defensive backs so far this season?

How do you grade Syracuse's coaching staff so far this season?
— Daily Orange Sports (@DOsports) October 10, 2016

Syracuse football shows little but midseason malaise in loss to Wake Forest - The Juice Online (the juice; Stechschulte)

The wind, the wet, and the Wake Forest defense proved to be too much for Syracuse on Saturday night, as they dropped a 28-9 road game. On a night when heavy rain came down for the majority of the contest, the Orange offense could not move the ball with any consistency and the defense, while game, eventually gave up a backbreaking score in the fourth quarter.

SU (2-4, 0-2 ACC) gained a season-low 326 yards in the game and gave up five sacks on the night. On their 14 drives, they ended up punting ten times with eight of those coming after failing to generate a single first down. The Demon Deacons (5-1, 2-1) were not much better, but were able to stack up 21 first downs and also owned the field position battle, forcing the Orange to start their average drive inside their own 25 and face long fields most of the night.

Each team started the game with a three-and-out, but Wake’s was followed by their long snapper airmailing the ball over the punter’s head from their 40-yard-line. After a scramble, Ted Taylor nearly recovered for a Syracuse touchdown, but the Orange settled for a safety and a 2-0 lead with less than four minutes elapsed when the Deacons recovered in their own end zone.

A couple Demon Deacon possessions later saw the hosts have a first-and-goal inside the two and SU mustered a strong defensive stand in response, stuffing three runs before Jonathan Thomas ripped the ball out on fourth down for a fumble. Cordell Hudson eventually covered it in the end zone for a touchback with under two minutes left in the opening quarter.

Other

21264909-standard.jpg

The Learbury Centre Will be Demolished Under Either Plan

See the 25 buildings possibly doomed under the 2 plans to redo I-81 in Syracuse (PS; photo gallery)

The state Department of Transportation has whittled options for the future of Interstate 81 down to two plans: A bigger, more modern viaduct or a streetlevel boulevard option being called the "community grid." Under the viaduct plan, the state would need to acquire and demolish 24 buildings along the I81 corridor. Under the community grid plan, five buildings would be acquired and destroyed.

A former clothing factory, the Learbury Centre is currently home to an outpatient facility for Syracuse Behavioral Healthcare, catering to substance abuse patients and mental health patients. The owner of the 100 plus year old building is listed as Jrt Inc. in county tax records. The building will need to be demolished no matter which option the state pursues for I 81.