Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
american-eagle-day-us-holidays.jpg

Welcome to American Eagle Day!

The use of the American Eagle as the bird to represent the country did have a tumultuous history. There were several seals established for the United States in 1776, but none of them were accepted by Congress. Eventually, the job of designing the seal was given to Charles Thomson, the then serving secretary of Congress, who took all the best elements of the presented designs and improved on them by adding this majestic bird to the seal.

SU News

Syracuse Football: Previewing the Orange Offensive Line In 2017-18 (itlh.com; Carey)

The Syracuse football season is still a few months away, but that isn’t stopping us from talking about it. Here’s your offensive line preview.

Last year the Syracuse football team struggled to protect quarterback Eric Dungey, leading to his injury and Zack Mahoney starting.

In all fairness to the Syracuse offensive line, they too dealt with some serious injuries. In the first season under Dino Babers, perhaps the offensive line had to undergo the most changes.

Babers came in with his fast paced offense, meaning the big boys up front had to drop some fat and add muscle. They needed to get into better shape in such a quick time that they dropped too much weight and couldn’t add the muscle in time. As a result, the big boys up front were pushed around and some were injured.

Last season the starting offensive line looked something like this to start the year off:

Left Tackle: Cody Conway So.
Left Guard: Aaron Roberts R-So.
Center: Jason Emerich Sr.
Right Guard: Omari Palmer Sr.
Right Tackle: Michael Lasker Sr./Jamar McGloster R-Jr.

Halfway through the season: Conway, Emerich, Lasker, were all injured. Aaron Roberts and Jamar McGloster were the only two offensive lineman to start every game for the Orange.

ACC Football: Clemson and FSU potentially landing top 2 QB prospects in the country (rubbingtherock.com; Messenger)

The state of ACC football is as high as it’s ever been. This past season the conference took home both the National Championship and the Heisman Trophy, not to mention a BCS bowl victory over Jim Harbaugh’s Michigan Wolverines. With the way that Clemson and Florida State are recruiting, the ACC has no plans of slowing down.

During the 2017 recruiting cycle, Clemson and Florida State hauled in the 16th and 7th ranked recruiting classes in the country respectively, according to the 247sports team rankings. Both the Tigers and Seminoles each signed at least two five-star recruits during the 2017 cycle.

2018 is going as good, if not better, for Clemson and Florida State. At the moment, the Tigers hold a pledge from Trevor Lawrence, the No. 1 pro-style quarterback and overall prospect in the country. Lawrence is widely considered the best high school quarterback prospect in recent memory.

Jimbo Fisher, thanks to the misfortune of James Franklin and the Nittany Lions, may be getting his quarterback of the future in Justin Fields. A native of Kennesaw, Georgia, Fields is currently listed as the No. 1 dual-threat quarterback and No. 3 overall prospect in the nation.

The Seminoles have received seven crystal ball predictions for Fields, since he de-committed from Penn State earlier this month. Fields also told analyst, Mike Farrell that Penn State and Florida State were the best fits for him from a depth chart and scheme standpoint.

5 star QB Justin Fields tells me the best fits for him depth chart and offensively are #FSU and #PSU — interesting

— Mike Farrell (@rivalsmike) June 9, 2017

Published on Jun 19, 2017
Ricky Widmer and Brandon Swanson begin their ACC Football preview with the NC State Wolfpack.

Other

22948719-mmmain.jpg

Syracuse bouncer smashes window, pulls man out of burning car that struck nightclub (PS; O'Toole)

Matt Craven was working at the front entrance of a Syracuse gentlemen's club Sunday night when he heard tires screeching.

"I looked out the door and I seen him taking out signs on the side of AutoZone on Thompson Road," Craven said. "He crashed through the intersection, into our Paradise Found shuttle bus and continued on into The Lost Horizon building."
When the car hit The Lost Horizon, it burst into flames. Debris flew from the wreckage and at least two tires rolled away from the car.

Craven, a 6-foot-8-inch, 360-pound bouncer at the nearby Paradise Found gentlemen's club, grabbed a flashlight and ran toward the burning car. Another man also ran toward the fiery crash and helped, he said.

"By the time I got there, literally 100 feet around the corner, the car was in a ball of flames and there was smoke everywhere," Craven said. "It was hard to get to him at first because there was so much smoke. It was just engulfing us."

But he knew he didn't have much time.

"I just put my shirt over my nose and mouth, closed my eyes and ran up to the car," said Craven, 28, of Clay.

Craven said the driver resisted his efforts to break a front window and said he wanted to be left alone. But Craven said he moved to the rear window and used his flashlight to break the glass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom