Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
tumblr_nsf5zbgdj61unf2fdo1_400.jpg

Welcome to Lughnasadh!

Lughnasadh or Lughnasa (pronounced /ˈluːnəsə/, LOO-nə-sə; Irish: Lúnasa, /ˈl̪ˠuːn̪ˠəsˠə/; Scottish Gaelic: Lùnastal, [ˈl̪ˠu:nəsd̥əl̪ˠ]; Manx: Luanistyn, [ˈluanɪst̪ən]) is a Gaelic festival marking the beginning of the harvest season. Historically, it was widely observed throughout Ireland, Scotland and the Isle of Man.

SU News

Image.png

'Cuse Football Poised for Success in 2017 Campaign | The NewsHouse | Syracuse University and Community News - S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications (thenewshouse.com; Sing & Farrell)

The Orange are a lot more comfortable going into this year’s training camp. Head coach Dino Babers, quarterback Eric Dungey, and linebacker Zaire Franklin addressed the media on the first day of their 22-practice training camp.

CALM, COOL, COLLECTED

Eric Dungey, for the first time in his career, will be operating out of the same offense as the year before. The junior quarterback has never used the same playbook in back to back seasons. Dungey is aware of what lays ahead for his team as they move closer to their home opener against Central Connecticut State. Dungey enters this season with a different mentality, and is confident in what he has learned to make him a strong leader.

“My mind sets a lot different going into this year,” Dungey said. “You really got to have a chip on your shoulder. I’m trying to go out there and win some games. I’m not saying no more Mr. Nice Guy, but it’s more like put your head down and get to work.”

Dungey has made it clear that he wants to keep his body in the best condition that he can. Over the past two seasons, Dungey has been sidelined due to injury, allowing him to miss crucial parts on the season.

“I just got to be smart, take what is given to me, and not take any unnecessary hits,” Dungey said. As training camp is officially underway, Dungey is excited to be back, and is looking forward to what the season has in store.

LEADING BY EXAMPLE

Senior linebacker Zaire Franklin is amazed at how fast the time has gone by. The two-time captain credits his experience on being able to get the most out of each day during training camp.

Syracuse Football Is Back For The 2017 Season (nccnews.expressions.sye.edu; Zeigler)

The Syracuse football team is looking to bounce back in their second year under Head Coach Dino Babers.

The Orange finished 4-8 last season in a tough schedule. This year will be no easier with a home game against the reigning national champs Clemson and away games at LSU, Miami, and Florida State. Nevertheless, the team is excited to get out, play and have fun.

“When we have fun, that’s when we have the most success,” junior quarterback Eric Dungey said.

Dungey ended last year with a shoulder and neck injury. He has not finished a complete season, but this year he wants to make smart choices that keep him healthy.

Coach Babers also said keeping the starters healthy is a key to being more successful this season. However, starting guard Aaron Roberts suffered a knee injury during summer conditioning. Babers said the team will have to shift things around to compensate.

“When someone goes down, someone else is going to have the opportunity to step up,” Babers said.

These next few weeks of practices will show who will replace Roberts and the potential this team could have this season.

The season begins at the Carrier Dome on Friday September 1st against Central Connecticut State.

Syracuse Football Documentary|| Fan-Made

Preseason Practice Report No. 1 (bceagles.com)

The Boston College football team finished its first practice of the 2017 season Monday on the new AstroTurf field at Alumni Stadium. The team wore just helmets and went through a two-hour practice. The Eagles were greeted by a day full of sunshine and temperatures in the mid-80s.

"No matter how much they condition in the off-season, there is nothing the same as practice and getting in a practice groove," said BC head coach Steve Addazio on the first day of preseason camp. "We just need to be steady the next couple of days … and start to synch up a little bit."

It was quickly evident to see the progress the Eagles made in the weight room under head strength coach Frank Piraino and his staff during the off-season. With the return of 17 starters and 46 lettermen from last year's squad that won the Quick Lane Bowl, the Eagles return a plethora of playmakers on both sides of the ball.

On offense, one position group where Boston College looks to have a deep group of talented individuals is as at tight end. Led by junior Tommy Sweeney, who started all 13 games a year ago, the Eagles return an offense with experience not only at tight end, but also at wide receiver with veterans Charlie Callinan, Jeff Smith and Mike Walker all returning after significant playing time a year ago.

2017 ACC Football Preview: Atlantic Division (cbslocal.com; Mayer)

College football season is almost here. As you prepare to root for your favorite team on Saturday, we’ll bring you previews of each conference, separating the teams into a couple categories: contenders, bowl teams, and rebuilding. The tiers are fairly self-explanatory. Contenders means these teams will push for the division/conference title. Bowl bidders are expected to be in the conversation for a bowl bid. Rebuilding teams are in the process of attempting to get into contention. At the end, we’ll give you our thoughts on the team’s wins based on Bovada’s Win Totals for the season.

The Atlantic now calls itself home to the defending national champion after Clemson’s thrilling victory over Alabama in the title game in January. Heading into 2017, the Tigers have to replace multiple weapons on offense while their division rival to the south, Florida State, looks ready to contend for a title once more.

Contenders

Florida State Seminoles

The Seminoles biggest problem during last year’s campaign was protecting redshirt freshman QB Deondre Francois. They allowed 36 sacks, and were it not for Francois’ elusiveness, that number would likely have been higher. They enter this season losing a couple of guys on the offensive line, but the unit should be better with more experience after last year.

2017 ACC Football Preview: Coastal Division (cbslocal.com; Mayer)

College football season is almost here. As you prepare to root for your favorite team on Saturday, we’ll bring you previews of each conference, separating the teams into a couple categories: contenders, bowl teams, and rebuilding. The tiers are fairly self-explanatory. Contenders means these teams will push for the division/conference title. Bowl bidders are expected to be in the conversation for a bowl bid. Rebuilding teams are in the process of attempting to get into contention. At the end, we’ll give you our thoughts on the team’s wins based on Bovada’s Win Totals for the season.

The Coastal is the easier of the two divisions in this conference, but it’s still plenty interesting. Almost every team in the division will be breaking in a new QB. The Hurricanes and Hokies look like the favorites, but it all depends on how quickly the QB situations become settled.

Contenders

Miami Hurricanes

The Hurricanes entered last season with high hopes as they had an experience laden team with a three year starting QB, Brad Kaaya, under center. They came out of the gates 4-0, but then dropped four straight games, three of those by a combined eleven points, including a one point loss to Florida State. This season, Kaaya is gone, but there’s a strong cast of returning starters and Miami could make a trip to the ACC title game if they develop a QB quickly.

The ‘Canes have three former three-star recruits at QB on the roster in junior Malik Rosier, sophomore Evan Shirreffs and freshman Cade Weldon. Freshman N’Kosi Perry was a four-star recruit in the 2017 classand he’ll battle for the job alongside the other three. Whoever wins will have last year’s top rusher, junior back Mark Walton, in the backfield with him and they’ll be protected by an offensive line that includes four starters and an LSU transfer in George Brown. The receiver spot is a little bit thinner as Stacy Coley and TE David Njoku departed for the NFL, but top receiver Ahmmon Richards is back for his sophomore year after an amazing debut freshman season (49 receptions 934 yards 3 TD). A lot depends on the QB play in terms of improving on last year’s numbers.

1930%20rose%20bowl%20banner_0.jpg

ACC Football Rx: ACC Major Bowl History (accfootballrx.com)

I read an article about teams which have played in all 6 of the major (New Year's Six) bowls, and it got me thinking about the rich football history of the ACC in major bowl games... something many people have no idea about!

Here's a table showing current ACC teams which participated in any of the 6 major bowls. I've also included Maryland for historical reasons (I didn't include South Carolina because the Gamecocks never played in a major bowl while affiliated with the ACC). Also, the Peach and Fiesta bowls didn't begin until the late 60's/early 70's.

Season Rose Sugar Orange Cotton Peach Fiesta
1924 Notre Dame
1927 Pittsburgh
1928 Georgia Tech
1929 Pittsburgh
1932 Pittsburgh
1934 Miami
1936 #3 Pittsburgh
1938 #3 Duke
1939 #16 Georgia Tech Clemson vs.
Boston College
1940 #4 Boston College
1941 #2 Duke
1942 #8 Boston College Georgia Tech
1943 Georgia Tech
1944 #11 Duke #13 Georgia Tech
1945 Miami
1946 #9 N Carolina
1947 #10 Georgia Tech
1948 #3 N Carolina
1949 #16 N Carolina
1950 #10 Clemson vs.
#15 Miami
1951 #6 Georgia Tech
1952 #2 Georgia Tech #14 Syracuse

Other

-a07124298e81b42f.jpg

Great weather in Central New York and everbody's outside (PS; photo gallery)

Great weather in Central New York and everybody's outside

Three straight days of sunny weather bicyclist and roller blades take to the road t Willow Bay at Onondaga Lake Park in Liverpool, Monday July 31, 2017. Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

I think our resources can be better spent than that kind of money for Mike Hart.
Sorry, but 300k for an assistant is not an exorbitant amount of money these days. I'm not saying that Hart is of the quality to command a premium. 1.64 for a head coach is cheeks clenching cheap. You get what you pay for.

Sorry, but 300k for an assistant is not an exorbitant amount of money these days. I'm not saying that Hart is of the quality to command a premium. 1.64 for a head coach is cheeks clenching cheap. You get what you pay for.

Agreed it's not a crazy amount of money. Just saying Mike Hart wouldn't be my choice to spend it on when we are allocating the salary pool.

Cj is my son and on behalf of myself and his mother We cannot say thank you enough to Coach Babers and the whole team for making him feel welcome and making him happier than he has been in months. I Also need to thank my brother inlaw and fellow site member Justin Roe (jack Bauer) for helping make Cj's dream come true. I have never been prouder to bleed orange

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom