Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
befunky-design17.jpg

Welcome to National Cherry Turnovers Day!

National Cherry Turnovers Day is observed annually on August 28th. Cherry turnovers are a sweet pastry made by placing a cherry filling on a piece of dough, folding the dough over, sealing it then either baking it or frying it.

FUN CHERRY FACTS:

• Related to plums, peaches and nectarines, cherries are drupes or stone fruits.
  • Cherries were brought to North America in the 1600s by the English colonists.
  • There are more than 1,000 varieties of cherries in the United States.
  • There are an average of 44 cherries in one pound.
SU News

DO-Football-concusions.jpg

Tracking and handling concussions in college football is left to schools. Doctors think that should change. (DO; Burke, Fortier)

On Nov. 1, 2013, inside a Manley Field House office, then-SU head coach Scott Shafer told defensive lineman Tyler Marona his career was over. For about three months after Marona suffered a concussion at an inter-squad scrimmage, he said he regularly met to evaluate his progress with Shafer and SU team doctor James Tucker, who came to the team facility about once per week. Marona liked both men and thought they cared about his health. He did not know who officially decided to medically disqualify him, but he understood why.

“(Shafer) ended up being like, ‘I don’t want to bring you back and then have you get hurt again, and then I can never look you in the eye ever again and be like, hey, I did what was best for you,’” Marona said this month. “I don’t intend for this to be condescending or any of that, but (Shafer) was covering his ass in that regard, so that he wouldn’t get fired. … I also get it, because if I had a kid, and I was coaching him, I would say the same thing.”

That the decision to disqualify Marona was the team’s to make highlights what experts say is the major issue in how concussions are handled across college football. Because neither the NCAA nor the Atlantic Coast Conference provides oversight or tracks concussions, the onus rests on individual schools to monitor head injuries.

New Home for AmeriCU Dino Babers Show (cuse.com)

The AmeriCU Dino Babers Show has a new home. The radio program featuring Syracuse's second-year head football coach will originate from Shaughnessy's Irish Pub in the Syracuse Marriott Downtown each week during the 2017 season.

Babers will join "Voice of the Orange" Matt Park to break down the previous week's game, look ahead to the Orange's next opponent and take questions during the hour-long show.

Fans are invited to attend the show in person or participate via telephone (888-7Go-Cuse or 424-8599) or Twitter (@CuseIMG) using the hashtag #AskDino. Additionally, fans can listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Radio Network, TuneIn.com or the TuneIn Radio app. Listeners in the Syracuse area can hear the program on the network's flagship station WTKW 99.5 FM and WTLA 1200 AM.

2017 AmeriCU Dino Babers Show Schedule (Subject to change)
Wednesday, Aug. 30 – 7 p.m.
Thursday, Sept. 7 – 7 p.m.
Thursday, Sept. 14 – 7 p.m.
Thursday, Sept. 21 – 7 p.m.
Thursday, Sept. 28 – 7 p.m.
Thursday, Oct. 5 – 7 p.m.
Wednesday, Oct. 11 – 7 p.m.
Thursday, Oct. 19 – 7 p.m.
Thursday, Nov. 2 – 7 p.m.
Thursday, Nov. 9 – 7 p.m.
Thursday, Nov. 16 – 7 p.m
TBD for Boston College Week

eric-dungey-syracuse-quarterback-636305fc8a763303.jpg

Syracuse Football Position Preview: Quarterbacks – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Aki)

In Dino Babers’ high-octane offense, the quarterback is the motor that makes everything run. Now with a year of experience in an unorthodox system, these signal-callers look to shift this exciting offense into a higher gear.

Last season, Eric Dungey took a huge statistical leap from Scott Shafer to Babers. In the eight games that the rising junior completed, he eclipsed 300 yards in all but two games, one of which came in the middle of a hurricane. This all comes after never topping that mark in 2015.

The question with Dungey isn’t his talent. He has established himself as one of the best quarterbacks in the ACC and has even appeared on national watchlists as not just the country’s best quarterback, but best player. There’s no doubt that Dungey could finish the season atop the ACC, and perhaps some of the country’s, statistical categories. The question is whether or not he will be healthy. The Oregon native has missed multiple games in each of his first two seasons with the Orange. Staying on the field is the big “if” for his 2017, but if Dungey plays it smart on the field and gets the necessary protection from his offensive line, then his potential is through the roof with the up-tempo offense.

Orange defense sees improvement over offseason (twcnews.com; video; Goldberg)

Syracuse captain Zaire Franklin says SU fans can expect a faster and more successful defense than what the Orange had last year. Syracuse ranked near the bottom in several defensive categories last year.

ACC Preseason Football Rankings (gobblerc0ountry.com; Johnson)

Without a doubt, this is my favorite piece to write throughout the season. Below I will rack and stack the teams of the ACC and provide my thoughts behind the rankings. This preseason write-up is a bit long as I set the foundation for the following rankings.

You will notice that the discussion surrounding the Atlantic squads is more robust than those of the Coastal. In Part One, Two, and Three of my 2017 Season Preview I went into significant depth regarding all the foes the Hokies will face this year. Since VPI must play every Coastal my thoughts on those squads have been conveyed. If you are looking for the same granularity that you will see regarding the Atlantic teams, please refer to the previews linked above!

If your interested in a quick refresher on where we left off, you can read my Final ACC Rankings 2016 and also the End of the Regular Season Rankings.

Alright, let’s get to it!

Atlantic

1. Florida State Seminoles: Last week FSU president John Thrasher conveyed his belief in the Seminoles when he said, “I shouldn’t talk too much trash, but I think we’re going to beat Alabama pretty bad next week. I really do.” President Thrasher’s statement is bold, but there are a lot of reasons supporting his assertion. Last year the Seminoles went 9-3 during the regular season before punctuating their year with an electrifying 33-32 win over the then No. 6 Michigan Wolverines.
7. Syracuse Orange: If the Orange weren’t facing one of the tougher schedules in all the FBS I would expect them to improve on their 2016 effort and maybe be a bowl eligible team. Unfortunately for Babers and company they are in the second year of a rebuild and have an extremely difficult slate. The Orange must face division powerhouses Louisville and FSU away, while they host Clemson. Past that they also have away games against Miami and the Louisiana State Tigers. Those are five likely unwinnable games. It is entirely possible that they start the season 3-0 after facing Central Connecticut, Middle Tennessee, and Central Michigan. They will need to find three more wins against NCSU, Pitt, WF, and BC if they hope to be bowl eligible. QB Eric Dungy is no joke and Babers has a history of building programs (Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green), but I do not think this is Syracuse’s year.

2017 ACC football preview | A look around the conference (pilotonline.com; Hall)

A look around the ACC, based on the preseason poll results:

Atlantic Division
1. Florida State: How, one might ask, are the Seminoles picked higher than Clemson, the reigning national champion and two-time defending ACC champion? Florida State, which has won 15 ACC titles since joining the league in 1992, returns 20 starters, including sophomore quarterback Deondre Francois. A stout defense features a couple of familiar names: tackle Derrick Nnadi (Ocean Lakes) and end Josh Sweat (Oscar Smith).
6. Syracuse: The Orange hope to improve upon last season’s 4-8 showing under then first-year coach Dino Babers. Senior receiver Ervin Phillips could help; he’s closing in on the school’s career receptions record.

7. Boston College: Darius Wade and Anthony Brown are competing for the Eagles’ quarterback job. The winner will look to keep things going; BC won its final three games last season, including a 36-30 victory over Maryland in the Quick Lane Bowl.

Other

23314439-mmmain.jpg

New York State Fair attendance Sunday shatters all-time daily record (PS; O'Toole)

More people came to the New York State Fair Sunday than any other day in the fair's history, officials said.

A total of 123,206 people came through the turnstiles Sunday, the most in one day, fair spokesman Dave Bullard said.

Sunday's attendance squeezed past the Labor Day 2014 record-breaking daily attendance of 122,870.

But that wasn't the only record set Sunday, fair officials said. Fairgoers also set a record for the largest Chevy Court crowd for an afternoon show.

Lynyrd Skynyrd drew 28,400 "raving fans," Bullard said.

"There's no early Chevy Court show that's even close to that," he said.

Before Sunday, no afternoon Chevy Court concert had ever topped 20,000, Bullard said.

Even more people -- an estimated crowd of 29,900 -- attended the Earth Wind & Fire free Chevy Court concert Sunday night.

Previously, the attendance record for the first Sunday of the fair was 105,894, set in 2002. Sunday's attendance shattered that record by 17,312.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom