Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
befunky-design20.jpg

Welcome to National Gumbo Day!

National Gumbo Day celebrates gumbo, a stew that originated in southern Louisiana in the 18th century. Just as the word gumbo oftentimes today means a mix of cultures, the dish itself is a blending of culinary traditions of different cultures—West African (from which the name gumbo may derive), Choctaw, French, Spanish, German, and Filipino. There are many types of gumbo, and common ingredients are meats such as chicken or andouille sausage; seafood such as crawfish, crab, and shrimp; the "holy trinity" of vegetables—onions, bell peppers, and celery; and okra. It is often also made with filé powder, which is made from ground sassafras leaves. A roux, which is a thickener made from flour and fat, is also an important component of gumbo. The stew is usually served over rice, and the two main varieties are Creole and Cajun gumbo. Gumbo is the state dish of Louisiana, and originally was only popular in the Gulf Coast region, but started gaining a wider popularity across the country in the 1980's.

SU News

Syracuse coach Dino Babers on Clemson: 'OMG' (diehards.com; Latsch)

Syracuse football coach Dino Babers didn’t hold back when talking about his next opponent, the Clemson Tigers, during a colorful question-and-answer session during the ACC coaches teleconference on Wednesday.

Babers discussed the challenges of facing the reigning national champions and praised Dabo Swinney’s program in advance of Saturday’s ACC game.

He was asked what goes through his mind when he watches the Tigers defense on film and how to scheme against it.

“You look at it, there’s no holes,” Babers said. “There’s no weaknesses. It starts with fantastic athletes. They do an outstanding job in recruiting. Obviously, Coach (Brent) Venables does a fantastic job with the defense. He’s got a lot of experience with spread teams from his Oklahoma background, being in the Big 12. I just think he puts a lot of fantastic athletes in the right spots and gets them to play at a high, feverish pitch.”

“You put those combinations together and you’re going to have a national championship type defense, and that’s exactly what they have.”

Asked what specific matchups are going to be important, Babers said all of the matchups are going to be huge.

“I think their front four is OMG,” he said. “Their linebackers can run with anybody. Their nickel is like a linebacker. Their corners are shutdown guys and their safeties, you can’t see over them.”

“We’ve got issues, and that’s just on the defensive side of the ball.”

Then what about Clemson’s offense, Babers was asked.

Syracuse Football: Stats To Know Versus Clemson (itlh.com; Peelman)

Syracuse Football is looking for a big win this weekend over #2 Clemson. Inside The Loud House gives you some statistics which may leave you feeling optimistic

The Syracuse Football season is like Christmas season for me. No matter the game, I want to see it or listen to it. I want to know all there is to know about each game. Naturally I come across some interesting tidbits in my travels across statistics and highlight videos from previous seasons.

I have always loved digging deeper for the hidden stats and such and this week I came across a bunch of interesting things. Hopefully they bring you hope and optimism heading into this whale of a matchup versus #2 Clemson.

Firstly, this game is on Friday Night. Upon review, the Orange have done really well on Friday nights in general. According to Cuse.com, the Orange have gone in 5-2 such games in the past five seasons (including this one) All of these were also at home except the bowl game versus Minnesota in 2013-2014 season, which the Orange won I might add. Just some food for thought.

The last loss was the one last year against what was an unstoppable Louisville team and star quarterback Lamar Jackson on his way to a Heisman Trophy year. So permission to throw that out the window…. The other loss was also to Louisville in 2014 in which the Orange was in it most of the game but failed to score time and time again.

The rest of the wins, outside the bowl game, were against mediocre or cruddy teams which the Orange were expected to win. Still let’s look at the numbers. In the seven Friday night games in the last five years, the Orange have outscored their opponents 212-147. That is a margin of 65 points! Now only one of those teams was ranked and that was Louisville last year, but hey, the stats don’t lie! Like I said, we’re trying to stay optimistic here.

Clemson Football vs. Syracuse: Pick Against the Spread (rubbingtherock.com; Boardwine)

Must have missed the Pitt game...

Clemson football will travel to Syracuse to take on the Orange on Friday. Here is our pick against the spread for the match up.
The 2017 Clemson football season is already halfway over.

That’s right, Tiger fans. We’ve already played six of the 12 scheduled games and are now one game away from the bye week.

It’s going by way too fast.

Clemson football will take on the Syracuse Orange (3-3) in the Carrier Dome on a Friday. Here is our pick against the spread for the match up.

Clemson Football Pick Against the Spread:

Current Spread: Syracuse +21

Spread Prediction: Clemson comes into this one a 21-point favorite. After starting the season 3-0 against the spread, the Tigers are now 4-2 on the year.

21 points on a Friday night is a lot of points, but I just believe Syracuse is that bad.

The Orange lost to a bad LSU team and Middle Tennessee back in September. I just don’t think Syracuse has the talent to match up with the Tigers.

In my opinion, Syracuse is the worst team in the ACC Atlantic. I think Clemson football comes out focused and ready to go and beats the spread heading into the bye week.

Current Over/Under: 56.5

Syracuse head coach says Clemson deserves to be ranked No. 1 (tigernet.com; Hood)

Syracuse head coach Dino Babers has been a part of teams that have knocked off top-ranked programs, and he’s hopeful his team can pull off the upset Friday in the Carrier Dome against a team he thinks deserves to be ranked number one.

Clemson is ranked No. 2 in the latest AP Top 25, defeating its opponents by an average of nearly 24 points per game. The Tigers are 6-0 overall and 4-0 in the ACC while Syracuse is 3-3 (1-1) following last weekend’s win over Pitt.

Game time is set for 7 p.m. on Friday night. It will be televised nationally on ESPN.

Babers, in his second season on the job at Syracuse, told the media this week that Clemson is like a lot of great teams – that he’s beaten.

"I played USC when it was ranked No. 1 -- beat them," Babers said. "I was at UCLA and I think they were ranked No. 2 the year we beat them. We played them twice when they were ranked No. 1. I've played very, very good football teams before. This Clemson team is like one of those teams."

Babers then said he is looking for support from the Syracuse community Friday night.

"We are excited to have the opportunity to play the Clemson Tigers who are the National Champions from last year,” he said. “Obviously, they are doing a fantastic job this year. Coach Swinney coaches one of the premier programs and the way he does it is absolutely the right way. I have nothing but respect for him and the program. It is going to be family weekend for us. We expect fantastic community support and it is going to be an outstanding contest on Friday night.” Clemson is the only team in the Associated Press poll era to defeat three Top 15 teams in the month of September, knocking off Auburn, Louisville and Virginia Tech in the season’s first five weeks. Two of those wins were on the road, and Babers says he thinks the Tigers deserve to be ranked No. 1.

Tale of the talent tape: Clemson vs. (10 years of) Syracuse football - The Juice Online (the juice; Stechschulte)

A couple weeks ago, I wrote a brief column citing one of the issues preventing the Syracuse football team from getting over the hump is that they have lacked enough pure talent to be a nationally competitive program for a long time.

Some subsequent discussion with the website staff about the talent level at SU eventually led to an interesting thought. With last year’s national champions, the #2 Clemson Tigers, coming to town Friday night, could a team made from the best of the last ten Syracuse rosters would beat Dabo Swinney’s squad?

Head coach – Dino Babers
He’ll already be in town and the pre-game speech might be a fun one.

Quarterback – Eric Dungey
If you want to replace him with Ryan Nassib, that is fine, but Dungey’s athleticism makes him a threat to run, which would likely be needed in this matchup.

Running backs – Delone Carter and Antwon Bailey
Carter, who stands third in the Syracuse record books for rushing yards and was a fourth-round pick by the Indianapolis Colts, would be a pounding inside runner to complement Bailey, who had 91 receptions to go with over 2,000 yards on the ground. Jerome Smith and Curtis Brinkley could provide a different look and Tony Fiammetta is available if Babers wants a true fullback.

MG_0390-300x294.jpg

Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - The Juice Online (the juice; Bierman)

Item: Sure, the defending national champions possess more top-to-bottom talent and are three touchdown favorites to continue the nation’s longest winning streak (11) when they head to the Dome Friday night (7:00 p.m. ET / ESPN), but here’s the opportunity, even as formidable as it appears, for the program’s biggest landmark win as a huge underdog since the upset of No. 1 Nebraska in 1984.

When you haven’t been ranked in the Top 25 for 16 seasons, joining just a handful of Power 5 teams that have had the same fate, it’s hard to be relevant as FBS football has moved into the BCS then College Football Playoff era separating the biggest and most lucrative programs from the rest of the pack.

Syracuse’s entrance into the ACC changed the dynamic, and football budget moving forward, with last season’s win over then-No. 17 Virginia Tech becoming the initial highlight victory of the Dino Babers, “Our House” era.

Coming off the first ACC win of this year versus Pittsburgh last week and just the 10th league win in five seasons, Friday’s home opportunity to knock off a team that’s played for the national title the last two seasons is something that Babers has had no trouble getting excited about.

59de5ef5ebf23.image.jpg

Syracuse's wide receivers among the most talented Clemson has seen so far this season ) postandcourier.com; Raynor)

Dabo Swinney was watching Syracuse film earlier this week, taking a hard look at the Orange’s wide receivers.

He felt a sense of deja vu.

“When I got done watching the tape, I was like, ‘Dang, I thought Mike Williams was in San Diego!’” Swinney said. “That No. 8 catches everything. I mean guys hanging on him, falling out of bounds, 50-50 balls — he catches just about everything.

“And then No. 3, he’s all over the place. He’s in the slot. He’s a motion guy. He’s outside. Those two guys combined, they lead the country right now in receptions as a duo.”

“No. 8” is senior receiver Steve Ishmael. “No. 3” is senior Ervin Philips. No. 2 Clemson (6-0, 4-0 ACC) will see both when the Tigers kick off with Syracuse (3-3, 1-1 ACC) on Friday night at the Carrier Dome.

On the one hand, perhaps Swinney’s praise is a way for the coach to use the media as a means to deliver his No. 2 Clemson team a message again, like he did ahead of Wake Forest.

After all, Ishmael was just a fourth-team preseason selection by Athlon Sports, while Philips was third-team. Neither were voted to the preseason All-ACC offense and Syracuse’s receiving corps as a whole did not make Phil Steele’s list of top 15 wide receiver units around the country. Of the six teams Syracuse has played, LSU has the highest ranked passing defense at 35. Middle Tennessee is No. 82, Central Michigan is No. 88, N.C. State is No. 125 and Central Connecticut State is unranked.

But on the other hand, Swinney has merit when he dubs this unit the best wide receiver tandem Clemson has likely seen all year to this point. Ishmael leads the entire nation in receiving yards and is third in the nation for receiving yards per game. Philips comes in at 31 and 44 respectively.

CLEMSON FILM ROOM REVIEW—Clemson expecting challenge from Syracuse - Chris Landry Football (landryfootball.com)

We provide you with an overview of this past week’s performance with a look ahead to this week. For our LandryFootball.com members, we provide you detailed FILM ROOM analysis, including unit by unit evaluations as well as a look at how draft prospects are progressing.

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney says his players and staff are looking forward to a bye week, but first the undefeated and second-ranked Tigers face Syracuse in a Friday night game in the Carrier Dome.
“We look up and holy cow, we’re at Game 7,” said Swinney, whose team will return to action on Oct. 28 against Georgia Tech. “Where did the time go? We have a lot of people looking forward to taking a deep breath. We need to empty that tank.”

And keep the momentum going. The Tigers are riding an 11-game winning streak — the longest active streak in the nation — and are 6-0 for a third consecutive year. Clemson also has won 21 of its last 22 games against Atlantic Coast Conference opponents and is off to a 4-0 start in league play.
Syracuse, which had lost three of its first five games by nine points or less, is 3-3, 1-1 and coming off a 27-24 win against Pittsburgh.

Although Clemson blanked Syracuse last year, 56-0, the Orange gave the Tigers fits in the Carrier Dome two years ago before Clemson pulled out a 37-27 win.

“We expect another hard-fought, four-quarter battle,” Swinney said. “The quarterback (Eric Dungey) and those receivers (Steve Ishmael and Ervin Phillips) are outstanding.”
Friday night will mark Swinney’s ninth anniversary of being named Clemson’s interim coach in 2008.
“I hope it’s a good Friday the 13th,” Swinney said. “I always reflect. It’ll be a neat day, no matter what happens.”

The primary pregame chatter is focused on the health of Clemson quarterback Kelly Bryant, who suffered an ankle injury in the third quarter of last week’s 28-14 win against Wake Forest and did not return to the game.

He’s listed as questionable, and a final decision may not be final until game day.
“He practiced all day yesterday and I was very encouraged,” Swinney said Tuesday. “He didn’t miss a rep yesterday, but we’ve got to see him go practice today.”

Bryant has been the driving force behind Clemson’s offense in the Tigers’ 6-0 start, averaging 277 yards while completing 67.3 percent of his passes and rushing for a team-leading 401 yards and seven touchdowns.
If Bryant is unable to go, it’s likely that the nod will go to freshman Hunter Johnson. Johnson played three series in the fourth quarter against Wake Forest and completed all five of his pass attempts for 42 yards, including a 13-yard touchdown toss to tight end Cannon Smith.

ACC trying to meet preseason CFP hopes (newsday.com; AP)

The Atlantic Coast Conference entered the season flexing its muscles with the defending national champions, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner and abundant hope to show it's deeper than just one team.

Halfway through the season, it hasn't turned out that way.

The ACC seems to be a league with one dominant team in the Clemson Tigers and several solid squads still learning how to contend on the national stage.

Florida State's vast array of talent made them the trendy preseason pick to supplant Clemson while Louisville and Heisman winner Lamar Jackson appeared ready to challenge for league supremacy.

But the Seminoles and Cardinals have come up short.

Florida State is off to its first 1-3 start in 41 years in big part to losing quarterback Deondre Francois for the season in its opener with Alabama. Louisville was waylaid at home, 47-21, by Clemson in a September showdown that fizzled out before halftime. Virginia Tech, which won the ACC Coastal Division a year ago, also had its chance against Clemson at home and it, too, came up short in a 31-17 loss.

Now, a new group of contenders have emerged -- all with questions about their staying power.

"We can never rest easy or think we've at the top," Clemson defensive end Austin Bryant said. "There will be challenges every week."

The ACC teams with the best chance of beating Clemson and earning a spot in the College Football Playoff along with the Tigers are No 11 Miami and No. 20 North Carolina State.

Week 7 ACC football power poll (dailyprogress.com; Ratcliffe)

1. Clemson, 6-0/40 (1). The Tigers own the nation’s longest winning streak at 11 games for a reason. As namesake Tony roars: they’re g-r-r-r-e-a-t! Clemson plays at Syracuse this Friday night in what could be a fun game unless the Tigers’ defense takes over.
2. Georgia Tech, 3-1/2-0 (2). We think the Yellow Jackets are for real, but they’ve only played four games, and are coming off a bye week. With the precise cohesion required to run the option, one has to wonder if Tech is ready for a big road game at Miami.
3. Miami, 4-0/2-0 (5). Hurricanes seem to be getting better and better, although will they be the same after losing top RB Mark Walton for the season with an ankle injury? This is an early Coastal Division showdown. Miami has dominated, winning seven of the last eight vs. Tech.
4. Virginia Tech, 5-1/1-1 (3). Hokies are in a bye week and quietly awaiting their shots at winning the Coastal. They’ll have to wait until the first two weeks of November when they face Miami and Georgia Tech back-to-back.
5. N.C. State, 5-1/3-0 (6). Wolfies are living up to their preseason hype. This Saturday will be first time State has played Pitt as an ACC member (took long enough, didn’t it?). First trip to Heinz Field and Steel City. May we recommend a stop at Peppi’s at 927 on Western Ave. for your first “Roethlisburger.”
6. Louisville, 4-2/1-2 (4). While Cardinals have scored more points than anyone in the ACC (225), they’ve given up 162 (fourth-most). Looks like losing defensive coordinator Todd Grantham may have cost Louisville more than it expected. Lamar Jackson can’t do it alone.
7. Florida State, 1-3/1-2 (7). Seminoles hope to bounce back from a heartbreaking loss to rival Miami. Duke should provide the medicine. Blue Devils have never beaten FSU.
8. Wake Forest, 4-2/1-2 (8). After back-to-back losses to FSU and Clemson, Deacs want to prove they can run with the big dogs. After this bye week, they’ll get their chance against Georgia Tech, Louisville, Notre Dame and N.C. State.
9. Virginia, 4-1/1-0 (10). The South’s Oldest Rivalry (122 games) hasn’t been much of a rivalry of late with UNC taking the last seven. This time, the Wahoos are favored on the road. Has Chapel Hill frozen over? Can the Cavaliers prevent stepping on their own toes?
10. Syracuse, 3-3/1-1 (11). The school announced it is spending $255 million to improve the Carrier Dome and facilities. Was that commitment more for football or basketball? Writers just hope they can finally have a place where they can actually view the game without interference.

Other

gary-carpentier-8854f25afe2041f2.jpg

'The Voice' singer Gary Carpentier: 'I hope I can make Central New York proud' (PS; Herbert)

Gary Carpentier is ready for a bigger stage.

The 26-year-old Central New York singer appeared on "The Voice" Tuesday night, performing "Home" by Michael Buble during the final round of blind auditions. Judge Adam Levine hit his buzzer early, turning his chair around and selecting Carpentier for Team Adam, making him he final contestant to qualify for the singing competition's 13th season.

It was a moment of exhilaration and redemption for Carpentier, who previously auditioned for "The Voice" four seasons ago, but did not make the cut.

"I think I was too young," Carpentier told syracuse.com and The Post-Standard. "I didn't have enough performing time under my belt. I wasn't mature enough as a vocalist and a person. I just wasn't completely ready."

Carpentier, who grew up in Oswego and now lives in Liverpool, didn't start considering a music career seriously until after high school. Carpentier performed as a teen in several musicals, including playing Gaston in "Beauty and the Beast," but first thought he might have a shot as a professional athlete.

"Dungey is fifth in the nation in total offense, averaging 354.5 yards per game. He has scored 17 touchdowns this season (nine pass, eight rush), as many as Penn State's Trace McSorely and more than Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield and USC's Sam Darnold."

Nice.