Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
International-Students-Day-Facebook-Cover-Photo.jpg

Welcome to International Students Day!

International Students' Day is an international observance of student community, held annually on November 17. Originally commemorating the Nazi German storming of Czech universities in 1939 and the subsequent killing and sending of students to concentration camps, a number of universities now mark it, sometimes on a day other than November 17, for a nonpolitical celebration of the multiculturalism of their international students.

The date commemorates the anniversary of the 1939 German Nazi storming of the University of Prague after demonstrations against the killing of Jan Opletal and worker Václav Sedláček as well as against the German occupation of Czechoslovakia. The German Nazis rounded up the students, murdered nine student leaders and sent over 1,200 students to concentration camps (mainly Sachsenhausen concentration camp). Subsequently, they closed all Czech universities and colleges. By this time Czechoslovakia no longer existed, as it was divided by the Nazi Germany into Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia and Slovak Republic with a puppet fascist government.[1]

SU News

Louisville's defense worst against fast offenses. And Syracuse's is the fastest in the country (courier-journal.com; Lourim)

The Louisville football team has struggled against fast tempos this season, and who else is coming to Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium on Saturday but the fastest offense in the country?

If the first 10 games are any indication, Syracuse could present a problem for Louisville. The Cardinals’ struggles on defense are well-known. Even after a strong outing against Virginia on Saturday, Louisville still ranks second-to-last in the ACC in scoring defense and second-to-last in pass defense. Peter Sirmon’s unit has allowed 36.7 points per game in conference play.

The defense has played the worst against up-tempo offenses. Measuring tempo by plays run per second, Wake Forest and Boston College played the fastest offenses Louisville has faced and scored 42 and 45 points, respectively. Not counting Clemson’s defensive touchdown against Louisville, those two no-huddle attacks scored the highest offensive outputs the Cards have allowed this season.

Syracuse Football: Mo ‘Moe’ is a good thing for the Orange running game (itlh.com; Esden Jr)

The Syracuse football running game is back on course. It’s no coincidence that SU has evaluated that ‘Mo Moe’ is a good thing for this offense.
Suddenly the Syracuse football team can run the football, strange. Talented SU star Moe Neal is getting the ball mo, coincidence? I think not.

Over the last several weeks head coach Dino Babers has made a concerted effort to get the ball in the hands of Moe Neal. While the overall record (4-6) isn’t what SU fans were hoping for, you can’t blame Neal for not doing his part.

He led the team in rushing last week against Wake Forest (86 yards). Although this is a player I hope is never forced to run within the tackles on a consistent basis. He’s 5’11 and sub 185 pounds, his body simply can’t take the punishment.

But that’s okay because SU has Dontae Strickland in the backfield who serves as the brutus beefcake to Neal’s finesse game:

• Salt and pepper?
  • Smash and dash?
  • Fast and furious?
I think that last one may stick.

Syracuse Orange vs. Louisville Cardinals Preview and Prediction (athlonsports.com; Kurkjian)

The Louisville Cardinals and Syracuse Orange had very different experiences this past weekend.

Louisville's defense had its best performance against an Atlantic Coast Conference opponent to date with a 38-21 win over Virginia. Until that point, the Cardinals had yet to allow less than 28 points to a conference foe. It wasn't a dominant performance by any means, but for a unit that took a major step back under defensive coordinator Peter Sirmon this season, it constitutes progress.

The win elevated the Cardinals to 6-4 overall and 3-4 in the ACC, a mark that stands as a disappointment compared to what the team expected coming into the season. Still, wins over Syracuse and in-state rival Kentucky to close the year would be a welcome change from last year, when the Cardinals lost their final three games...

Wake_Forest_Syracuse_Footballl_36276.jpg

Syracuse travels to Louisville with a must-win mentality

Since notching the most important victory of his coaching career a month ago, Syracuse’s Dino Babers has watched his Orange plummet and turn what had become a promising season into another struggle.

Syracuse (4-6, 2-4 Atlantic Coast Conference), coming off its third straight setback, a humbling 64-43 loss at home to Wake Forest, has to win its final two games to become eligible for the postseason for the first time in four years.

That scintillating 27-24 victory over then-No. 2 Clemson sure seems like a distant memory.

“They’ve got a bad taste in their mouth,” Babers said. “Hopefully, they’re anxious to play another game and prove to people that they’re not as bad as their last performance.”

Syracuse, which hasn’t won on the road this season, plays at Louisville (6-4, 3-4 ACC) on Saturday.

Auburn Football’s Atmosphere is Incredible, Can Syracuse Do That? – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; D.A.)

I’m a Syracuse football fan from the ’90s. I know many of you go back much further than that. But as an ’01 SU grad, I was smack dab in the middle of the Donovan McNabb, Rob Konrad, Dwight Freeney years. The Dome used to rock and sway when the Hurricanes or Hokies or Wolverines or Vols came to town. And it hasn’t felt that way in a long time, but I’m hoping it can once again.

You’ll never have the passion of the SEC in Northeast football. It just doesn’t resonate the same way. But every year I take a college football road trip to a big time school, and I always wonder if SU can create some of that on campus. The biggest thing is playing important games. But when you see the tailgates on campus, the pregame traditions, the chants and ceremonies, it makes you wonder why we don’t even try.

usa_today_10339833.0.jpg

Previewing Louisville-Syracuse with Troy Nunes Is An Absolute Magician (cardchronicle.com; Wynne)

ERIC DUNGEY HAS A HISTORY OF INJURIES. DO YOU THINK HE WILL PLAY THIS WEEKEND AND IF NOT HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT ZACH MAHONEY?
Dino Babers keeps these things pretty close to the vest, so it's unlikely we really know until kickoff. But if I had to guess right now, I'd bet we don't see him. Quarterbacks have been unavailable for media and Babers doesn't sound confident that Dungey can move well enough yet on his bum ankle. I do credit him for prioritizing his health here, even over a bowl game that we do desperately need.

If Mahoney's the guy, I think the offense will be fine. When Mahoney spends a week working with the first team, he's usually pretty serviceable. This past week, he threw for nearly 300 yards in the first half and looked sharp in manning the offense. The second half wasn't as good -- and that's a concern. But if the defense can actually show up (unlike the Wake Forest game), I have some faith he can give us something close to the effort required. He won't be as capable of a runner or playmaker, but he still understands the system and its capabilities.

ACC Fans Can Experience Their Favorite Teams In Virtual Reality (sporttechie.com; Rettig)

As Clemson tries to make another run at the College Football Championship, its fans can watch behind-the-scenes footage in virtual reality — without the headset.

A recent partnership between the ACC, Raycom Sports, and VR creator EON Sportshas begotten an app, called ACC Virtual Reality presented by Havoline, that will bring an immersive feel to one of college football’s top conferences.

The ACC counts perennial football powerhouses Clemson, Miami, Florida State, and Georgia Tech among its constituent schools. In March, the app presented college basketball content in virtual reality, more relevant to fans of Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Louisville, and North Carolina State.

The VR football programming includes 360-degree video of on- and off-field perspectives, locker room speeches, and other behind-the-scenes looks. Fans can watch Louisville take the field or see Miami players do their pregame warmups.

Other

a-quiet-place-0edf584ce6c3b0f8.jpg

'A Quiet Place' trailer: John Krasinski, Emily Blunt horror movie filmed in Upstate NY (PS; Herbert)

The first trailer for "A Quiet Place" is giving horror fans a preview of a new movie filmed in Upstate New York.

John Krasinski co-wrote, directed and stars in the supernatural thriller about a family living on a farm -- very quietly. Emily Blunt will play his wife and appear on screen with her real-life husband for the first time.

The teaser trailer contains no dialogue as the couple communicates only in sign language with two children, played by Noah Jupe and Millicent Simmonds. (That explains why a casting call this summer sought a young actor who can speak in ASL to play the hearing sibling of a deaf child.)

"If they can't hear you, they can't hunt you," the trailer ominously warns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom