Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
TC2ETQZKUFCAHH6DE2X3NAUJVI.JPG
Welcome to No Orange Clothes Day!

No Orange Clothes Day commemorates the day in 1784 when the wearing of orange was banned in the Netherlands, a country often informally called Holland. Such a thing seems unconscionable today, as orange is now seen as the unofficial color of the Netherlands, and is worn and displayed everywhere. The color has a long and varied history in the country, dating back to the sixteenth century.

Why did orange become associated with the Netherlands? Orange is the color of the Dutch royal family, and its association with them goes back to William of Nassau, who is also known as William the Silent or William of Orange. William became the Prince of Orange in 1544, at the age of eleven, when the principality of Orange—which had previously been a French principality—came under his control.

SU News

Cody Roscoe discusses picking Syracuse as transfer destination (247sports.com; McAllister)

Syracuse picked up a big commitment on Monday when McNeese State transfer defensive end Cody Roscoe announced his decision. He decided to leave the Cowboys once they were banned from the 2020 postseason due to a program APR score that fell below the 930 threshold. Approximately three months after putting his name into the NCAA Transfer Portal, he made his decision.

"With McNeese State, I wouldn't say it was anything wrong with the program," Roscoe said. "I feel like coach Wilson was great for the program. I just feel at that time with the playoff ban and the APR thing, it just opened up for me that it was time to leave and see what other schools and what other options there were for me.

"I chose Syracuse because, football is very important, but I just loved what they had academically as well. Coach Babers looked like an amazing coach on paper and I've heard so many great things about him. I feel like their program is going in the right direction. I know last year they lost a couple of guys so I can come in and really help the defensive line core. Just come in and be a part of their culture."

Orange Watch: Syracuse football’s Andres are faces of the program - The Juice Online (the juice; Bierman)

Item: Syracuse safety Andre Cisco and kicker Andre Szmyt have arguably had the two most productive initial seasons of any Syracuse football players in the 2000s. Both joined kickers Ross Krautman (2010) and Sterling Hofrichter (2016) as the only SU first-year players to be named first-team freshman All-Americans this century in 2018, and both followed that up with all-conference caliber performances last season. Now the 2020 preseason accolades are starting to be released, and according to Lindy’s Sports, Cisco is the nation’s top returning safety.

They burst onto the Syracuse football scene out of nowhere in 2018, and against staggering odds both Cisco and Szmyt were named not only first-team freshman All-Americans that bowl-winning season, but All-Americans period.

Szmyt nabbed the Lou Groza award as the nation’s top kicker, and Cisco became only the second true freshman (George Shaw-Oregon 1951) to lead the country in interceptions (seven picks tied with Boston College’s Hamp Cheevers).
Despite missing three games last season due to injury, Cisco still led the ACC with five interceptions (seventh nationally), and he enters the 2020 season as the FBS active leader in interceptions with 12, and is second statistically is passes defended per game (1.27).

Top 3 Quarterbacks in Syracuse History Part 3 – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Bonaparte)

It won’t come as a surprise to find that Donovan McNabb is the greatest QB in the history of the Syracuse football program. McNabb finished his career in the NFL with over 40,000 total yards, over 250 passing total TDs along with 6 pro bowl appearances. It’s no doubt he had a great career at the highest level, a step down at the collegiate level, however, he was even better.

#1: DONOVAN MCNABB

McNabb joined the SU football program in 1995 and unlike the others on this list, he took over as the starter immediately. The kid from Chicago toasted opponents in his Freshman year. He led the Orange to 9 wins throwing for a shade under 2,000 yards and scoring nearly 20 total touchdowns. In his first year in Orange threads, McNabb took the squad to the Gator Bowl where Syracuse stomped Clemson 41-0 (the largest margin of victory in Gator Bowl history) thanks to a heroic performance from the young QB. McNabb threw for 3 TDs on 309 yards on his way to being named the game’s MVP. Things didn’t let up from that point. In Sophomore year the dual-threat served the Big East more of the same, another 9 wins and this time a conference championship set the ‘Cuse up for a date with Houston in the Liberty Bowl. Like ‘95, ‘96 ended in celebration, McNabb once again led his squad to victory, this time 30-17. Hype started to surround the young QB playing great football up north. His Junior and Senior years solidified that hype. Despite two bowl game losses to finish out his term as the leader of the SU offense, McNabb’s final seasons at SU etched his name into Syracuse Football history as the greatest the team ever had thanks to his stats but also his 2nd and 3rd conference championships. He eclipsed 2,000 yards passing in each of his last two seasons, but arguably, more importantly, McNabb planted his flag alone atop the mountain of all-time passing touchdowns. He still holds the Syracuse record to this day with 77 career TDs through the air.

Orange Nation Update From Syracuse AD John Wildhack (localsyr.com; video)

Syracuse football players have returned to campus last week with voluntary workouts now allowed by the NCAA. Syracuse University Director of Athletics John Wildhack talks to Sistina Giordano and Darius Joshua about how they are taking the proper safety precaution for the upcoming football season.

2020 ACC Schedules, Team-By-Team Predictions For Every Game (CFN; Fiutak)

2020 Syracuse Football Schedule

2020 Record: 0-0
2020 Preseason Prediction: 7-5
2020 Preseason ACC Prediction: 3-5
2019 Preseason Prediction: 7-5
2019: 5-7, 2018: 10-3
2020 Syracuse Preview

Sept. 4 at Boston College L
Sept. 12 at Rutgers W
Sept. 19 Colgate W
Sept. 26 at Western Michigan W
Oct. 3 Louisville W
Oct. 10 OPEN DATE
Oct. 17 Liberty W
Oct. 24 at Clemson L
Oct. 31 Georgia Tech W
Nov. 7 at Wake Forest L
Nov. 14 NC State W
Nov. 19 Florida State L
Nov. 28 at Pitt L

https://accsports.com/acc-news/in-6...ssion-for-football-natural-social-distancing/ (accsports.com; Geisinger)

In a 60 Minutes piece that aired over the weekend, North Carolina athletics director Bubba Cunningham remains hopeful on the return of college football in 2020 — despite the COVID-19 global pandemic.

Cunningham mentioned UNC tiered/staggered approach to return athletes to campus, which is underway for football. (The first group of players arrived June 12. Basketball will start in early July.) There’s optimism from Cunningham’s point of view that this procedure provides safety and efficiency.

As far as attendance goes for those games — a crucial revenue stream in big-time college athletics — Cunningham suggested an interesting approach, which John Bauman noted on Twitter. In Cunningham’s suggested method, football games would have general admission (like a concert); however, beyond that, the crowd would be tasked with socially distancing itself.

Cunningham outlined an approach I hadn't heard about before – general admission to the game, then let the crowd naturally social distance itself. Could maybe sit in a cluster with your family.

Would that work?

— John Bauman (@bauman_john) June 14, 2020

It’s an interesting concept, to be sure. On its face, there seem to be a variety of complications; guidelines would still need to be in place for concession stands and bathroom policies, too. For instance, in a stadium that holds over 50,000 people, not all seats and vantage points are created equal. How would that impact a general admission procedure?

ESPN Previews 2020 Season In ACC (SI; video)

The four letter network previews the upcoming season in the ACC. Can anyone catch Clemson?

Hoosier Huddle Podcast: ACC Preview — Hoosier Huddle (hoosierhuddle.com; podcast; Jacobs and Inman)

Co-hosts Sammy Jacobs and T.J. Inman take a look outside of the Big Ten and at the ACC for their annual preview. They'll look at who will win each division, the best game to watch and see if Clemson will be a runaway favorite yet again.

You are being redirected... (accnation.net; Quist)

As the saying goes, money talks and, well, you know the rest. The person willing to put those hard-earned greenbacks down on a bet typically doesn’t do so without some reasonable knowledge backing it up. After all, who in their right mind would just throw good money away? When it comes to putting a dollar down the best known name in the business, Caesars, usually comes to mind.

So a quick flip of the finger on my ‘Enter’ key sent me down the on-line rabbit hole. I immediately found what I was looking for. Yes, there are more than enough early bets to set a line for how football in the ACC will turn out. I’ll only share one current line, the rest you’ll have to dig into on your own. I hope you didn’t think it was going to be a surprise. Clemson is -600 to win the ACC again this season. When it comes to how many games they’ll win – Over 11.5 is -120 and Under 11.5 is +100. Mind you, these numbers are in constant flux.

How about the rest of the conference? How do things look for the rest of the crowd? Before we jump on that gravy train here’s a look at our recent ACC Nation Power Poll (a pre-season look at how we see the conference).

Caesars Early Look At ACC Football

• #1 Clemson
  • #2 North Carolina
  • T3 Miami
  • T3 Virginia Tech
  • T5 Florida State
  • T5 Louisville
  • #7 Virginia
  • #8 Pitt
  • #9 Wake Forest
  • #10 Duke
  • #11 Georgia Tech
  • #12 Syracuse
  • T13 Boston College
  • T13 NC State

You're in the Wrong Conference! (RX; HM)

You're in the Wrong Conference!

Conference realignment has left some teams in conferences they really shouldn't be in. Here are my thoughts - please feel free to leave yours in the comment section.

West Virginia doesn't belong in the Big XII.
As long as they were all independent, they were fine. When they all joined the Big East, that worked too. However, when BC, Pitt and Syracuse went to the ACC and WVU to the Big XII, that just didn't work. West Virginia belongs with those other teams. Just take a look at WVU's most-played opponents - Pitt and Syracuse are #1 and #2, and BC is #8 (none of the top 13 are in the Big XII):

West Virginia Top Opponents, 1869-2012, by #games
Opponent#years#games
Pittsburgh10293
Syracuse6760
Penn State8355
Virginia Tech9050
Maryland9349
Rutgers9539
Temple7236
Boston College7933
Virginia8122
East Carolina3921
Cincinnati9020
Kentucky4419
Miami (FL)6119

ACC Today with Bill Roth (roanoke.com; podcast; Roth)

Bill Roth is a Newhouse grad

ACC Today with Bill Roth appears on Roanoke.com every Monday.

Roth, who spent 27 years covering Virginia Tech football and men's basketball on the radio, hosts the interactive program looking at the latest in ACC sports.

Here's the latest show, dated June 15.

Other

3PHAQREUC5CK7BOQFBSEWTO4PA.jpg

Restaurants are reopening in CNY. How did the first weekend go? (PS; Cazentre)

There was a lot of joy inside newly reopened Central New York bars and restaurants over the weekend.
“Customers that came (in) were so happy to be back inside with all of us,” said Kelly O’Connor Metrick, manager of San Miguel Mexican Restaurante at 425 N. State St. in Syracuse. "We had one customer kiss the bar!“
Some people even went on binges.

“We went to the 916 Riverside in Brewerton Friday, The TS Steakhouse on Saturday, and The Tavern in Geneseo on Sunday,'' wrote a member of the Facebook group Where Syracuse Eats, using the name J-nine Marie. ”It was WONDERFUL to be out. Everyone just seemed so happy to be back to work, and back out of the house. I am hoping to go out down town this week or weekend! I am not afraid and going to support these business as much as possible.”

Restaurants were allowed to open their dining rooms Friday for the first time in almost 90 days. It started slowly, since the reopening came with restrictions like seating no more than 50% of capacity, customers wearing masks when not seated and social distancing.

And many restaurants decided not to open up indoor dining right away, preferring to wait for fewer restrictions and a greater level of confidence that the coronavirus pandemic is winding down.

“The takeout business was still really strong, even with the open dining rooms,” said Bud Loura, a consultant to the dining industry through his company, RestaurantQB. “That doesn’t seem like it’s going to go away anytime soon.”

And with nice weather most of the weekend, the outdoor dining option that started the week before was still a big factor.

For the restaurants that did open their dining rooms, the experience, overall, was positive.

“People were excited to be back,” said David Hoyne, who opened the dining room and bar at Kitty Hoynes Irish Pub & Restaurant starting Friday afternoon. “And for the most part, people did well abiding by the rules and restrictions. Just a few things here and there with masks — some people got up to go to the bathroom and forgot to put the mask back on. But all in all, it went well.”

Jason Thomas, owner of the Arad Evans Inn and Papa Gallo restaurants in Fayetteville, agreed. Customers were mostly respectful of the needs of restaurant staff and other customers.

“People were good about not lingering,” he said, noting that with limited capacity restaurants needed to turn over tables more quickly. “For the masks and the distancing, we had to give some friendly reminders a few times.”

GA seating would be interesting in that would it be first come first serve so that the money people lose the prime seats? or would it be by section or level so people get what ever they pay for.. still you would need to stop at some set number and allow for that wouldnt you?

GA seating would be interesting in that would it be first come first serve so that the money people lose the prime seats? or would it be by section or level so people get what ever they pay for.. still you would need to stop at some set number and allow for that wouldnt you?
I am sure they would have to limit ticket sales to ensure social distancing was possible if they used this approach.

It seems to me that this is very bad idea.

First, you are ignoring the contributions of your best customers, the ones that pony up the big bucks for the best seats. That is bad business.

People are going to want to sit in their seats. If they can't sit in their seats, they will want to sit as close as possible to their seats. They bought seats in that location for a reason.

When SU used GA for the students when the dome opened, there were queuing problems with students lining up at the student gate (just one) and it was a wild free for all when the gates opened. Kids were running full speed, trying to to the best seats they could. People fell, people got hurt, people who were waiting in line for days sometimes got much worse seats that kids who showed up just as the gates opened, etc. It was a nightmare.

And that was with just one gate for GA.

Also...I like people and am an optimist. But you have to be a realist here. Expecting strangers to self police themselves and amicably work out seating arrangements is pretty naive. You aren't going to get optimized results. You are going to have angry fans who think they were wronged and want others to be forced to move. I am pretty sure it will be a nightmare.

I think it is better to provide direction.

This is what I recommend:
  • Limit the crowd to season ticket holders only.
  • Get your limit on capacity from the government.
  • Figure out what the rules are for ticket assignments based on direction from the government.
  • Develop a program (this has probably already been done) to assign seats for fans based on trying to place them as close as possible to their assigned seats.
  • Done.
I think this is by far the most practical, straightforward and simple way to solve this problem. Please don't overthink it.

If CFN's prediction of 7-5 for the Orange comes to pass, that seems like a good year coming off 2019 results... would you guys agree that 7-5 would be a good 2020 result?

If CFN's prediction of 7-5 for the Orange comes to pass, that seems like a good year coming off 2019 results... would you guys agree that 7-5 would be a good 2020 result?
Speaking only for myself, I see 7-5 as a bare minimum result for 2020.

I expect us to win all 4 OOC games.

I expect us to beat BC on the road in week one. I think a new staff, new schemes for offense and defense and a first time HC, dealing with a pandemic, is going to be tough for BC. If they had kept their staff, this would be different.

That leaves a sure loss at Clemson, which takes us to 5-1, and a bunch of close ACC games.

Oct. 3 Louisville
Oct. 31 Georgia Tech
Nov. 7 at Wake Forest
Nov. 14 NC State
Nov. 19 Florida State
Nov. 28 at Pitt

We need to split these games to get to 8-4, which is my personal goal for this season. Since 4 of the 6 are at home, I think we have a realistic chance to do this.

I think we can beat GT and NC State at home fairly easily. Got to find a way to win one of the others.

Speaking only for myself, I see 7-5 as a bare minimum result for 2020.

I expect us to win all 4 OOC games.

I expect us to beat BC on the road in week one. I think a new staff, new schemes for offense and defense and a first time HC, dealing with a pandemic, is going to be tough for BC. If they had kept their staff, this would be different.

That leaves a sure loss at Clemson, which takes us to 5-1, and a bunch of close ACC games.

Oct. 3 Louisville
Oct. 31 Georgia Tech
Nov. 7 at Wake Forest
Nov. 14 NC State
Nov. 19 Florida State
Nov. 28 at Pitt

We need to split these games to get to 8-4, which is my personal goal for this season. Since 4 of the 6 are at home, I think we have a realistic chance to do this.

I think we can beat GT and NC State at home fairly easily. Got to find a way to win one of the others.
I agree with 100% of this

we owe Pitt to start not losing those games all the time.. especially on the road down there.

I'm a simple man with simple dreams. I'll take 7-5 and like it.