Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to Unity Day!

Bullying is a pervasive ill that by one measure affects one in five youths. On Unity Day, those who are bullied are shown that they aren't alone when people come together to wear and display orange. The color shows that those displaying it are against bullying, and are also united in kindness, acceptance, and inclusion. They wear orange for hope and to show support, and to show that no youth should experience bullying. The day brings together youth, parents, teachers, businesses, and community members to say that bullying is unacceptable and that students deserve to be safe.

Unity Day was founded in 2011 by PACER's National Bullying Prevention Center, an organization that "actively leads social change to prevent childhood bullying, so that all youth are safe and supported in their schools, communities, and online." The organization has been around since 2006, and also started National Bullying Prevention Month, which takes place during October, of which Unity Day is the signature event. Orange was chosen as the color for the day for a few reasons. It is a vibrant color, which means it can easily convey a message, such as unity, when many people display it together. The color is also often associated with the month of October and with Autumn, as well as with safety and visibility. The color orange becomes a conversation starter. Individuals wear it and display it on social media, students use it in a number of ways at school, businesses offer orange products, and officials light city landmarks with the color today.

SU News

1603279495120.png

How former quarterback Garrett Williams became starting cornerback for SU (DO; Hillman)

Jason Seidel needed a defensive back for a two-day, 7-on-7 tournament in Georgia. He decided to approach Garrett Williams, who was in the middle of a quarterback competition with now-Charlotte quarterback Dylan Ratliff.

Garrett had never played the position before, but Seidel, then the football coach of Hickory Ridge High School, trusted he was athletic enough. Garrett ended the first game with five interceptions, including one that he returned for a touchdown.

When George Williams, his father, heard the news over the phone, he was confused.

“You mean five touchdowns?” he asked. It wasn’t until later that night that George learned his son had made the switch.

The move was initially temporary, but Garrett thrived early in the season and cemented himself as Hickory Ridge’s starting cornerback. The transition changed Garrett’s career. He went from a talented but raw quarterback to an elite cornerback, earning the interest of various colleges across the East Coast after his first season.

Axe: The Clemson gap has never been wider for Syracuse football (PS; $; Axe)

Pop quiz.

Who was the last team to beat the Clemson Tigers in a regular-season college football game?

If you guessed Syracuse University on Oct. 13, 2017, give yourself an attaboy or attagirl for guessing correctly.

1,103 days ago, Syracuse lined up and defeated Clemson 27-24 on a glorious Friday night in the Carrier Dome.

752 days ago, Syracuse, a 25-point underdog, fell just short of a second-straight victory over the Tigers, losing by a score of 27-23 on September 29, 2018 in Death Valley after some fourth-down heroics by Clemson backup QB Chase Brice.

Cover 3: Syracuse at No. 1 Clemson (cbssports.com; video)

The Cover 3 crew previews the game between Syracuse and No. 1 Clemson.

Syracuse Football: Despite rough fall term, many 2021 commits locked in (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse football is struggling in the current stanza, but that isn’t causing 2021 commits to think about de-committing from the Orange.

With Syracuse football now 1-4 after a home loss to non-conference opponent Liberty over the weekend, the Orange is facing the possibility of a winless rest of the season, particularly with games at No. 1 Clemson and No. 3 Notre Dame still to come.

Naturally, that has some ‘Cuse fans calling for head coach Dino Babers to get fired, although personally I don’t think we’re quite at that point.

Still, given the Orange’s woes, recruiting analyst and journalist Michael McAllister reached out to a bunch of commits in the Syracuse football 2021 class to gauge their opinions on the state of the ‘Cuse program.

At least for now, it doesn’t seem that the Orange’s start to the 2020 stanza is affecting the commitments of these high-school seniors, according to this really cool piece by McAllister, who is the publisher of SyracuseOnSI.

Let’s take a look at some of the responses, because they’re really fascinating and show how passionate numerous recruits are about the ‘Cuse squad.

Syracuse coach Dino Babers: 'Everyone is chasing Clemson. Alabama's chasing Clemson' (greenvilleonline.com; Keepfer)

for gbo

Chasing Clemson?

Join the crowd, says Syracuse football coach Dino Babers.

Babers, whose team faces top-ranked and undefeated Clemson Saturday at Memorial Stadium, offered effusive praise for the Tigers on Tuesday during his weekly press conference.

Babers’ team is 1-4 overall, including 1-3 in the Atlantic Coast Conference, and is coming off a 38-21 loss at home against Liberty.

Clemson is 5-0 and 4-0 and is coming off a 73-7 win at Georgia Tech.

“Based off of those guys winning the national championship two out of the last four years and the facilities that they have compared to everybody else in the conference, I think the entire country is chasing Clemson – Alabama is chasing Clemson, everybody’s chasing Clemson,” Babers said. “And I think it’s fortunate for us that every year we get an opportunity to play them. I don’t look at that as something that’s bad, I look at that as something that’s good.”

Clemson Football: Tiger coaches talking up bad Syracuse team (rubbingtherock.com; Spencer)

Clemson football coaches are talking up a bad Syracuse team

The Clemson football team just hung 73 points on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets without breaking a sweat and the Tigers are clearly showing a gap between them and the rest of the ACC- and the country, for that matter- when it comes to program development.

The overwhelming talent and depth that Clemson football possesses is apparent, but you wouldn’t know it by talking to the Tiger coaches.

Clemson Offensive Coordinator Tony Elliott met with the media virtually for his weekly press conference and said that Syracuse’s defense ‘can embarrass you.’

After Elliott talked up the Orange defense, it was Dabo Swinney talking up the Syracuse offense on Tuesday.

Dabo Swinney: "We know firsthand here at Clemson that Syracuse is a team that can beat you. The last big loss we had was to Syracuse."
— Matt Connolly (@MattatTheState) October 20, 2020

The Verdict on Taj Harris Flipping the Bird – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Gross)

The nation was already laughing at Syracuse for it’s on-the-field product.

In this week’s update of how bad Syracuse football has become… pic.twitter.com/32Jk1FHIu3

— Stuckey (@Stuckey2) October 18, 2020
Taj Harris didn’t need to provide the detractors more ammo with this gesture on the sideline.
Hey #3 on @CuseFootball, how does it feel to get waxed by Liberty? pic.twitter.com/cS3YU1nCuo
— Mack Attack (@Liberty_Flames_) October 17, 2020
Maybe we shouldn’t make a big deal out of this. He was losing, he was frustrated, he flipped off a camera. AD John Wildhack officially denounced it. Babers said Harris apologized to the team. Mistakes happen. We can move on, right?

Usually, we could. Not in this case.

There is a fine line between showing emotions on the field, and becoming a beacon of negativity. If you default to criticism as soon as you see a player get angry on the sidelines, you’re being unreasonable. We’ve defended Harris in the past for his expressions of passion.

Possible unpopular opinion:

I kinda like Taj seething on the sideline. There's nothing worse than apathy. Harris showing he cares.
— Orange Fizz (@OrangeFizz) October 11, 2019
But Harris is picking his spots less and less, and emoting more and more. Against Duke, Rex Culpepper threw a pass behind Harris on a slant, forcing him to contort his body in order to make the catch, eliminating his chance for yards after the catch and a possible first down.

Syracuse Expressing Interest in Transfer QB (SI; McAllister)

Former class of 2019 quarterback Garrett Shrader has announced his decision to enter the transfer portal. Shrader signed with Mississippi State and has spent the last two seasons there. Shrader told AllSyracuse.com that Syracuse has already expressed interest by reaching out to his high school coach. Shrader was offered and recruited by the Orange, among a plethora of other power five schools, out of high school. Shrader said he is currently open to all schools, including Syracuse.

“I would like to thank my teammates coaches and Mississippi State fan base that has supported me during my time at MSU,” Shrader wrote on Twitter. “I have had the opportunity to develop friendships that will last a lifetime. Starkville is a special place. This is not an easy decision, but I am a QB and it’s a skill set that got me here and fortunately I have been blessed to play in the SEC. With this being said I have three years of eligibility and have entered the transfer portal. I wish nothing but the best for Mississippi State University and especially Mississippi State Football. My recruitment is 100% open. Please respect my decision.”

Shrader had been switched to wide receiver this season, but has not seen much playing time. He has one catch for eight yards in only one game played. As a true freshman quarterback, he saw action in 10 games. He completed 88 of 153 pass attempts (57.5%) for 1,170 yards with eight touchdowns and five interceptions. Shrader also ran for 587 yards with a 5.2 yards per carry average and six touchdowns as a freshman. Shrader is listed at 6-4, 215 pounds on the MSU Athletics website. He attended Charlotte Christian School in high school.

In 2019, perhaps his best game was against the eventual national champion LSU Tigers. He went 17-28 for 238 yards and ran for 66 yards on nine carries. He had two total touchdowns in the game as well, but did throw two interceptions. The next week against Texas A&M, he threw for 194 yards and three touchdowns while running for 64 yards. Earlier in the season in a win over Kentucky, he ran for 125 yards on 11 carries.
Shrader is a true dual threat quarterback who was considered one of the best such players in the 2019 class.

SI All-American’s John Garcia Jr. thinks it would be a great fit for both sides.
“The state of Syracuse football, from an outsider's perspective, is a troubled offense-first program not clicking on that side of the football like it has in recent years when the program was up. Part of the issue in 2020 has clearly been the quarterback room, from a production or depth perspective, two areas in which a guy like Garrett Shrader could potentially help now and into the future.

Audio Vault (ESPN; radio; Axe)

Brent opens the show talking Syracuse football and turning the focus from the Liberty game last weekend towards the Clemson game this weekend and the future. Later, he talks about a couple “what if” situations from almost 20 years ago that could have changed Syracuse football today.

What is Dino Babers' Level of Job Security at Syracuse? 10/20 from Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball (stitcher.com; radio; Leonard & Aki)

How safe should Dino Babers feel about his future with Syracuse? Yahoo! Sports college writer Pete Thamel unveiled some interesting tidbits regarding Babers' level of job security. Plus, Dino himself had some interesting comments at his Monday press conference. Also, who will leave SU first: Dino or Boeheim? Tyler Aki and Tim Leonard discuss all of this in the Tuesday Locked On Syracuse Podcast.

ACC Power Rankings: Desperately Seeking Another Good Team (shakinthesouthland.com; Goldin)

#1 Clemson (5-0, 4-0) LW: #1 Next Game: 10/24 vs Syracuse 12:00 PM ACCN.

Just wow. I don’t know what else to say about Clemson’s 73-7 win against Georgia Tech. Trevor Lawrence threw five touchdowns and 404 yards in the 404, causing the most damage in Atlanta since General Sherman. Nyles Pinckney scored a touchdown in the Fridge package. Hunter Helms threw a touchdown. Even Will Spiers got to some work at QB.

It was noteworthy to not see DJ Uiagelelei, but he had a bit of shoulder stiffness this week. Getting Taisun Phommachanh and Hunter Helms some work was probably needed since DJ has gotten most of the backup reps this year anyway. It could get even more fun Saturday as a bad Syracuse comes to the Valley as 40+ point underdogs.

#2 Notre Dame (4-0, 3-0) LW: #2 Next Game: 10/24 @ Pitt 3:30 PM ABC.

Notre Dame pulled out a 12-7 win over Louisville. If you’re a fan of the Fighting Irish and watched your team slug it out with Louisville in a low scoring affair while watching Clemson break 70 on the GT team that beat Louisville, then you’ve got to be at least a little nervous. Fortunately for ND, Clemson is a few weeks away. This weekend, The Irish head to the Steel City for a test with a Pittsburgh team looking win after losing without their QB last weekend.

#3 Miami (4-1, 3-1) LW: #4 Next Game: 10/24 vs UVA 8:00 PM ACCN.

The Canes rebounded with a nice 31-19 win against Pitt. Miami’s schedule sets up very favorably for the rest of the season, so the idea of the Canes in Charlotte seems reasonable. They have an opportunity to keep it rolling against Virginia on Saturday.

Hot and Cold Takes for Irish VS Pitt (onefootdown.com; Gough)

How’d We Do Last Week

As mentioned last week, I will feature the Most Interesting, Most Wildly Inaccurate, and Most Accurate Takes for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish from the previous week. Here we go!

Interesting

Screen_Shot_2020_10_19_at_7.13.08_PM.png

Thats Captain Liam Eichenberg to you!

Wildly Inaccurate

ACC Standings and Divisions - 10/20/20 (RX; HM)

ACC Standings and Divisions - 10/20/20

As you probably know by now, the ACC is playing football without divisions this season. Divisionless scheduling makes for much better football matchups (in my opinion at least), but it also affects the standings. Here are the official ACC football standings after week 7:

Atlantic Coast ConferenceW-L
#1 Clemson Tigers4-0
#3 Notre Dame Fighting Irish3-0
#23 NC State Wolfpack4-1
#14 N Carolina Tar Heels3-1
#11 Miami Hurricanes3-1
#19 Virginia Tech Hokies3-1
Boston College Eagles2-2
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets2-2
Pittsburgh Panthers2-3
Wake Forest Demon Deacons1-2
Florida State Seminoles1-3
Virginia Cavaliers1-3
Syracuse Orange1-3
Duke Blue Devils1-5
Louisville Cardinals0-4

Other

4JPXUSTG35HURB5FISURTS76OY.JPG

Equitable to move 700 jobs from downtown to Syracuse Inner Harbor (PS; $; Moriarty)

Equitable Financial Life Insurance Co. plans to move 700 jobs from downtown Syracuse to a $74 million office building to be built at the Inner Harbor.

The insurance company disclosed Tuesday that it will leave Equitable Towers, known until recently as Axa Towers, on Madison Street when its lease expires in 2023.

Its new, three-story, 125,000-square-foot office will be built on 6.9 acres of vacant land bordered on the west by Solar Street, on the south by West Court Street and on the north by North Clinton Street.

The site is directly across Solar Street from the harbor, an old Barge Canal terminal that is being redeveloped into a residential, commercial and recreational complex by Cor Development Co.

The state has agreed to provide a $9 million grant for the new building, which will cost $50 million to build and $24 million for furniture, fixtures and equipment, according to Equitable.

Attachments

• 1603279495330.png
    1603279495330.png
    981.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited: