Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to National Signing Day!

National Signing Day
has traditionally been the first day that a high school senior can sign a binding National Letter of Intent for a collegiate sport with a school that is a member of the United States National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).

Although all NCAA sports have at least one National Signing Day, and most have two, college football’s is by far the most widely followed by fans and sports media.[citation needed] Traditionally, college football's National Signing Day is the first Wednesday of February.

As of 2017, college football also has an early signing period in late December, meaning recruits now have the opportunity to sign with their college team over a month before National Signing Day.[1] While many recruits utilize this early process, a significant number of the nation’s top-rated recruits opt to wait until February to sign with their teams, either because they have not yet made a decision or desire to announce their decision to the fanfare and media coverage typically reserved for National Signing Day.

SU News

Syracuse football recruiting: What to know heading into signing day (PS; $; Curtis)

Syracuse football recruiting: What to know heading into signing day - syracuse.com
Syracuse football can add to its recruiting class Wednesday during the annual spectacle that is National Signing Day.

However, there isn’t much suspense ahead of NSD for the program outside of tying up a few loose ends.

The Orange signed 19 players in the class of 2021 back in December.

Jaelin Moss, a defensive tackle from Fairport, New York, is the program’s only committed recruit that didn’t sign his national letter of intent during on Early National Signing Day in December. It is unclear if he will make his verbal pledge official on Wednesday.

Most of the Orange’s freshmen won’t arrive until next summer, but five are enrolled for the spring semester and can participate in the offseason strength and conditioning program and spring practice.

Those players include: DB Duce Chestnut, DB Malcolm Folk, QB Justin Lamson, DL Terry Lockett and TE Landon Morris.

Syracuse football's starters: Who is returning, who is leaving? (247sports.com; Bailey)

With Syracuse football players trickling back to campus before the start of the spring semester, it's time to begin examining what the Orange might look like this fall. There's still much of the offseason to go. National Signing Day looms on Wednesday. A few seniors have yet to decide whether they'll return for their extra year of eligibility. Staff changes, including the replacement for offensive line coach Mike Cavanaugh, have to be sorted out.

But, with a schedule in hand, this is a good time to review what we have learned about SU's program through the first chunk of the offseason. Specifically, let's take a look at the most important players from last year -- starters on both sides of the ball -- and run down which individuals are expected to return and which are not.

For head coach Dino Babers to rebound from a 1-10 season a year ago, it's the group of players in the former category that will be most important when next fall rolls around.

"Our record is what it is, but it doesn't act like nor does it feel like our record," Babers said after the team's loss at then-No. 2 Notre Dame to end the season. "You can look at it and go, 'Hey, that's bologna cheese. You're trying to make it sound better than it is.' It is what it is. I understand that. It'll be with me for the rest of my life.

Syracuse National Signing Day Guide (SI; McAllister)

There are three storylines we are monitoring for Syracuse football heading into National Signing Day. They are the decision of defensive end Chase Simmons, the decision of junior college offensive lineman Jakob Bradford and the status of defensive tackle Jaelin Moss.

CHASE SIMMONS

Simmons is making his decision between Syracuse and Coastal Carolina at 10:15 a.m., he tells AllSyracuse.com. Simmons has been committed to Coastal Carolina since November, but did not sign during the early period. Since then, several schools have expressed interest including Michigan State, South Carolina, Tennessee and Syracuse. Syracuse was the only one to extend an offer, and that has led Simmons to decide between power five football, or the school he has been committed to for months.

JAKOB BRADFORD

This one could go any number of ways. The junior college offensive lineman has been on Syracuse's radar for quite some time, and the Orange offered in mid January. Earlier this week, Virginia Tech offered after they had extensive conversations with the 6-5 lineman. Bradford could sign with Syracuse, or he could sign with Virginia Tech, but there is a definite possibility that he does not sign with either on signing day. In the scenario where he does not sign, he would be waiting to see who Syracuse hires as their new offensive line coach before making a final decision. All three scenarios are on the table.

Syracuse Football Early Signing Period Recap (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse signed 19 players in December. Here is our full coverage of the early National Signing Day.

THE GRAPHICS

Syracuse Uses Album Graphics to Announce Signees

DINO'S COMMENTS

Six Things Babers Said About the 2021 Class at Signing Day Presser

CLASS ANALYSIS

What's Left for Syracuse in 2021?
Five Signees Who Could Contribute as True Freshmen
Three Sleepers in Syracuse's 2021 Class
Where do Syracuse's Signees Come From? Geographical Analysis
Positional Review of Syracuse's 2021 Class
Live Blog: Timeline of When Players Signed

PLAYER HIGHLIGHTS & EVALUATIONS

DB Duce Chestnut

Fizz Cast: SU FB Schedule Review / SU MBB Previews – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; podcast; Eads)

Fizz Cast: SU FB Schedule Review / SU MBB Previews

Welcome back to another Fizz Cast! Co-hosts Ian Unsworth and John Eads are back in the Fizz Radio waves. Unsworth and Eads spend the first segment reviewing the 2021 Syracuse Football schedule and determine what’s the most important game of the season. The boys also touch on some off-season movement from former and current SU players.

Syracuse basketball needs all three of its guards, Bourama Sidibe to thrive (itlh; Adler)

On many occasions throughout the 2020-21 campaign, a large contingent of Syracuse basketball fans has taken to social media to voice displeasure with the Orange’s starting backcourt of sophomore Joe Girard III and junior Buddy Boeheim.

At the same time, some of these fans, understandably so, have opined that freshman combo guard Kadary Richmond should get inserted into the starting line-up, displacing either point guard Girard or shooting guard Boeheim.

I always respect my fellow ‘Cuse fanatics, and Richmond has proven tremendous in a bunch of games during the current term. Perhaps he should garner more minutes of court action, although he is just a freshman, and he’s put forth some performances where he struggled, too.

Without question, Girard and Boeheim have possessed their own share of sub-par outings, but they’ve also each had to deal with the effects of Covid-19. They’re not making excuses, and I’m not making excuses for them.

However, to suggest that Richmond should suit up for 40 minutes, while veterans Girard and Boeheim should get relegated to the bench, is taking things a tad too far, in my humble opinion.

Georgia Tech, UNC football to play at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in 2021 (wnct.com; AP)

Georgia Tech will host North Carolina at Mercedes-Benz Stadium next season, the first of six consecutive years the school will play a game in Atlanta’s 75,000-seat NFL stadium.

The school announced Tuesday that its Sept. 25 matchup against the Tar Heels will be moved from Bobby Dodd Stadium on the Georgia Tech campus to the home of the Atlanta Falcons, about 2 miles away.

The Yellow Jackets were originally scheduled to play Notre Dame at Mercedes-Benz Stadium this past season, but the coronavirus pandemic led to that game being moved back to the 55,000-seat campus facility.

Recruiting Factors - 2-3-2021 (RX; HM)

Recruiting Factors - 2-3-2021

What makes a player decide to commit to a particular team?
I'm sure it varies from player to player. “Probably the biggest things would be academics, coaching styles for me, gameday atmosphere, and campus life outside of football,” one player said. The only thing I believe that's missing is NFL draft picks - so I added that.

Assuming this is fairly typical, I tried to rank each ACC team by these factors so we could come up with a pseudo-scientific estimate of how easy or hard it is to recruit college football players to each ACC school. Some of this was guesswork on my part, so don't kill me if I get some of these wrong - I'm doing the best I can within my blogger budget!

Academics: I had to go 1. Duke, 2. Georgia Tech, 3. UVA. I remembered FSU and Louisville were ranked last most years. The rest were guesswork, to be honest.

Coaching Style: No doubt Clemson is #1, but FSU and VT are pretty high as well. As much as Dave Clawson wins, I wouldn't necessarily categorize him as someone players would go to Wake Forest just to play for him, but maybe that's just my opinion.

Links, news and rumors - EASports Edition (RX; HM)

Links, news and rumors - EASports Edition

EASports made an announcement yesterday which caused quite a stir...

For those who never stopped believing... #EASPORTSCollegeFootball pic.twitter.com/ojDl9LzXuj
— EASPORTSCollege (@EASPORTSCollege) February 2, 2021
From CBS Sports: EA Sports plans to revive its college football video game franchise
EA Sports is bringing back its popular college football video games. In a press release on Tuesday, the company announced that they will be creating a new college football video game, but it will no longer be called "NCAA Football."
The video game is in the early stages of development, so there is currently no potential release date for a new title. The last college football game EA Sports created was "NCAA Football 14."

2021 Notre Dame vs ACC (RX; HM)

2021 Notre Dame vs ACC

How do the ACC games fit into Notre Dame's 2021 football schedule?

2021 Notre Dame Football Schedule
Sunday Sep. 5at Florida State Seminoles
Saturday Sep. 11Toledo Rockets
Saturday Sep. 18Purdue Boilermakers
Saturday Sep. 25vs Wisconsin Badgers (in Chicago)
Saturday Oct. 2Cincinnati Bearcats
Saturday Oct. 9at Virginia Tech Hokies
Saturday Oct. 16OFF
Saturday Oct. 23USC Trojans
Saturday Oct. 30North Carolina Tar Heels
Saturday Nov. 6Navy Midshipmen
Saturday Nov. 13at Virginia Cavaliers
Saturday Nov. 20Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Saturday Nov. 27at Stanford Cardinal

Obviously the Seminoles/Irish game is the opener for both teams. It will be played on the one Sunday without NFL competition, so expect a big television audience. The game is in Tallahassee, so minor advantage to FSU.

The second ACC opponent for Notre Dame comes in week # 6 when the Irish return to Blacksburg, VA to take on the Hokies. That is the final game before Notre Dame's bye, and it comes after Wisconsin and Cincinnati. Given that the game against the Badgers, while technically an away game, is to be played in Chicago, this is effectively just the second true road game for the Irish in the 2021 season.

http://allsportsdiscussion.com/2021/02/02/5-things-i-like-about-the-2021-acc-football-schedule/ (allsportsdiscussion.com; JFann)

The ACC recently released their 2021 ACC football schedule. Notre Dame is running independent again, but there’s plenty to like about the schedule. It wasn’t all great, because there will also be the 5 things I don’t like about the schedule coming up soon.

So here we go.

1) North Carolina at Notre Dame (October 30, 2021)

What a perfect time for North Carolina to be playing Notre Dame. The Heels will most certainly be ranked in the pre-season, and a fairly soft opening schedule should have them no worse 5-2 coming in this game. It’s more likely they are 6-1 or 7-0 and with a bona-fide Heisman candidate in QB Sam Howell, this could one of the biggest OOC games featuring an ACC team not named Clemson in a very long time.

UNC has come a long way under Mack Brown, but they lack a true signature splash win. This could be that chance.

2) Consolidated BYE weeks

11 of the 14 ACC teams’ BYE weeks are October 9-October 23. Only Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Syracuse fall outside of those weeks, and that creates a pretty fair distribution of the BYE weeks during the middle of the season where teams typically need it the most.

Hopefully the ACC can continue to manage the BYE weeks in this way and keep this competitive balance.

3) Louisville vs Ole Miss (September 6, 2021)

You can criticize some things about the ACC’s television agreement’s but the Labor day deal is not one of them. This day is always one the higher rated games of the year, and a showcase game for the conference in prime-time with nothing in competition.

It’s a big opportunity for Louisville and Scott Satterfield to rebound after a lackluster 2020 against the Rebels and Lane Kiffin.

Other

2web.jpg

Chick-fil-A restaurant proposed in DeWitt; would be 3rd location in Onondaga County (PS; $; Doran)

A new Chick-fil-A restaurant has been proposed in the town of DeWitt, a town official confirmed Tuesday.

It would be the third location for the popular fast-food restaurant in Onondaga County.

The Chick-fil-A would be at the corner of Erie Boulevard East and Bridge Street, on the site of the former Uncle’s Sam nightclub, which also was the Country Club and Oliver’s at different times. The building was demolished in 2017.

The proposal still has to be approved by the town of DeWitt.

Developer Grazi Zazzara bought the building in 2008, and had indicated he wanted to develop the site for retail or a restaurant.

Welcome to National Signing Day!

National Signing Day
has traditionally been the first day that a high school senior can sign a binding National Letter of Intent for a collegiate sport with a school that is a member of the United States National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).

Although all NCAA sports have at least one National Signing Day, and most have two, college football’s is by far the most widely followed by fans and sports media.[citation needed] Traditionally, college football's National Signing Day is the first Wednesday of February.

As of 2017, college football also has an early signing period in late December, meaning recruits now have the opportunity to sign with their college team over a month before National Signing Day.[1] While many recruits utilize this early process, a significant number of the nation’s top-rated recruits opt to wait until February to sign with their teams, either because they have not yet made a decision or desire to announce their decision to the fanfare and media coverage typically reserved for National Signing Day.

SU News

Syracuse football recruiting: What to know heading into signing day (PS; $; Curtis)

Syracuse football recruiting: What to know heading into signing day - syracuse.com
Syracuse football can add to its recruiting class Wednesday during the annual spectacle that is National Signing Day.

However, there isn’t much suspense ahead of NSD for the program outside of tying up a few loose ends.

The Orange signed 19 players in the class of 2021 back in December.

Jaelin Moss, a defensive tackle from Fairport, New York, is the program’s only committed recruit that didn’t sign his national letter of intent during on Early National Signing Day in December. It is unclear if he will make his verbal pledge official on Wednesday.

Most of the Orange’s freshmen won’t arrive until next summer, but five are enrolled for the spring semester and can participate in the offseason strength and conditioning program and spring practice.

Those players include: DB Duce Chestnut, DB Malcolm Folk, QB Justin Lamson, DL Terry Lockett and TE Landon Morris.

Syracuse football's starters: Who is returning, who is leaving? (247sports.com; Bailey)

With Syracuse football players trickling back to campus before the start of the spring semester, it's time to begin examining what the Orange might look like this fall. There's still much of the offseason to go. National Signing Day looms on Wednesday. A few seniors have yet to decide whether they'll return for their extra year of eligibility. Staff changes, including the replacement for offensive line coach Mike Cavanaugh, have to be sorted out.

But, with a schedule in hand, this is a good time to review what we have learned about SU's program through the first chunk of the offseason. Specifically, let's take a look at the most important players from last year -- starters on both sides of the ball -- and run down which individuals are expected to return and which are not.

For head coach Dino Babers to rebound from a 1-10 season a year ago, it's the group of players in the former category that will be most important when next fall rolls around.

"Our record is what it is, but it doesn't act like nor does it feel like our record," Babers said after the team's loss at then-No. 2 Notre Dame to end the season. "You can look at it and go, 'Hey, that's bologna cheese. You're trying to make it sound better than it is.' It is what it is. I understand that. It'll be with me for the rest of my life.

Syracuse National Signing Day Guide (SI; McAllister)

There are three storylines we are monitoring for Syracuse football heading into National Signing Day. They are the decision of defensive end Chase Simmons, the decision of junior college offensive lineman Jakob Bradford and the status of defensive tackle Jaelin Moss.

CHASE SIMMONS

Simmons is making his decision between Syracuse and Coastal Carolina at 10:15 a.m., he tells AllSyracuse.com. Simmons has been committed to Coastal Carolina since November, but did not sign during the early period. Since then, several schools have expressed interest including Michigan State, South Carolina, Tennessee and Syracuse. Syracuse was the only one to extend an offer, and that has led Simmons to decide between power five football, or the school he has been committed to for months.

JAKOB BRADFORD

This one could go any number of ways. The junior college offensive lineman has been on Syracuse's radar for quite some time, and the Orange offered in mid January. Earlier this week, Virginia Tech offered after they had extensive conversations with the 6-5 lineman. Bradford could sign with Syracuse, or he could sign with Virginia Tech, but there is a definite possibility that he does not sign with either on signing day. In the scenario where he does not sign, he would be waiting to see who Syracuse hires as their new offensive line coach before making a final decision. All three scenarios are on the table.

Syracuse Football Early Signing Period Recap (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse signed 19 players in December. Here is our full coverage of the early National Signing Day.

THE GRAPHICS

Syracuse Uses Album Graphics to Announce Signees

DINO'S COMMENTS

Six Things Babers Said About the 2021 Class at Signing Day Presser

CLASS ANALYSIS

What's Left for Syracuse in 2021?
Five Signees Who Could Contribute as True Freshmen
Three Sleepers in Syracuse's 2021 Class
Where do Syracuse's Signees Come From? Geographical Analysis
Positional Review of Syracuse's 2021 Class
Live Blog: Timeline of When Players Signed

PLAYER HIGHLIGHTS & EVALUATIONS

DB Duce Chestnut

Fizz Cast: SU FB Schedule Review / SU MBB Previews – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; podcast; Eads)

Fizz Cast: SU FB Schedule Review / SU MBB Previews

Welcome back to another Fizz Cast! Co-hosts Ian Unsworth and John Eads are back in the Fizz Radio waves. Unsworth and Eads spend the first segment reviewing the 2021 Syracuse Football schedule and determine what’s the most important game of the season. The boys also touch on some off-season movement from former and current SU players.

Syracuse basketball needs all three of its guards, Bourama Sidibe to thrive (itlh; Adler)

On many occasions throughout the 2020-21 campaign, a large contingent of Syracuse basketball fans has taken to social media to voice displeasure with the Orange’s starting backcourt of sophomore Joe Girard III and junior Buddy Boeheim.

At the same time, some of these fans, understandably so, have opined that freshman combo guard Kadary Richmond should get inserted into the starting line-up, displacing either point guard Girard or shooting guard Boeheim.

I always respect my fellow ‘Cuse fanatics, and Richmond has proven tremendous in a bunch of games during the current term. Perhaps he should garner more minutes of court action, although he is just a freshman, and he’s put forth some performances where he struggled, too.

Without question, Girard and Boeheim have possessed their own share of sub-par outings, but they’ve also each had to deal with the effects of Covid-19. They’re not making excuses, and I’m not making excuses for them.

However, to suggest that Richmond should suit up for 40 minutes, while veterans Girard and Boeheim should get relegated to the bench, is taking things a tad too far, in my humble opinion.

Georgia Tech, UNC football to play at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in 2021 (wnct.com; AP)

Georgia Tech will host North Carolina at Mercedes-Benz Stadium next season, the first of six consecutive years the school will play a game in Atlanta’s 75,000-seat NFL stadium.

The school announced Tuesday that its Sept. 25 matchup against the Tar Heels will be moved from Bobby Dodd Stadium on the Georgia Tech campus to the home of the Atlanta Falcons, about 2 miles away.

The Yellow Jackets were originally scheduled to play Notre Dame at Mercedes-Benz Stadium this past season, but the coronavirus pandemic led to that game being moved back to the 55,000-seat campus facility.

Recruiting Factors - 2-3-2021 (RX; HM)

Recruiting Factors - 2-3-2021

What makes a player decide to commit to a particular team?
I'm sure it varies from player to player. “Probably the biggest things would be academics, coaching styles for me, gameday atmosphere, and campus life outside of football,” one player said. The only thing I believe that's missing is NFL draft picks - so I added that.

Assuming this is fairly typical, I tried to rank each ACC team by these factors so we could come up with a pseudo-scientific estimate of how easy or hard it is to recruit college football players to each ACC school. Some of this was guesswork on my part, so don't kill me if I get some of these wrong - I'm doing the best I can within my blogger budget!

Academics: I had to go 1. Duke, 2. Georgia Tech, 3. UVA. I remembered FSU and Louisville were ranked last most years. The rest were guesswork, to be honest.

Coaching Style: No doubt Clemson is #1, but FSU and VT are pretty high as well. As much as Dave Clawson wins, I wouldn't necessarily categorize him as someone players would go to Wake Forest just to play for him, but maybe that's just my opinion.

Links, news and rumors - EASports Edition (RX; HM)

Links, news and rumors - EASports Edition

EASports made an announcement yesterday which caused quite a stir...

From CBS Sports: EA Sports plans to revive its college football video game franchise
EA Sports is bringing back its popular college football video games. In a press release on Tuesday, the company announced that they will be creating a new college football video game, but it will no longer be called "NCAA Football."
The video game is in the early stages of development, so there is currently no potential release date for a new title. The last college football game EA Sports created was "NCAA Football 14."

2021 Notre Dame vs ACC (RX; HM)

2021 Notre Dame vs ACC

How do the ACC games fit into Notre Dame's 2021 football schedule?

2021 Notre Dame Football Schedule
Sunday Sep. 5at Florida State Seminoles
Saturday Sep. 11Toledo Rockets
Saturday Sep. 18Purdue Boilermakers
Saturday Sep. 25vs Wisconsin Badgers (in Chicago)
Saturday Oct. 2Cincinnati Bearcats
Saturday Oct. 9at Virginia Tech Hokies
Saturday Oct. 16OFF
Saturday Oct. 23USC Trojans
Saturday Oct. 30North Carolina Tar Heels
Saturday Nov. 6Navy Midshipmen
Saturday Nov. 13at Virginia Cavaliers
Saturday Nov. 20Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Saturday Nov. 27at Stanford Cardinal

Obviously the Seminoles/Irish game is the opener for both teams. It will be played on the one Sunday without NFL competition, so expect a big television audience. The game is in Tallahassee, so minor advantage to FSU.

The second ACC opponent for Notre Dame comes in week # 6 when the Irish return to Blacksburg, VA to take on the Hokies. That is the final game before Notre Dame's bye, and it comes after Wisconsin and Cincinnati. Given that the game against the Badgers, while technically an away game, is to be played in Chicago, this is effectively just the second true road game for the Irish in the 2021 season.

http://allsportsdiscussion.com/2021/02/02/5-things-i-like-about-the-2021-acc-football-schedule/ (allsportsdiscussion.com; JFann)

The ACC recently released their 2021 ACC football schedule. Notre Dame is running independent again, but there’s plenty to like about the schedule. It wasn’t all great, because there will also be the 5 things I don’t like about the schedule coming up soon.

So here we go.

1) North Carolina at Notre Dame (October 30, 2021)

What a perfect time for North Carolina to be playing Notre Dame. The Heels will most certainly be ranked in the pre-season, and a fairly soft opening schedule should have them no worse 5-2 coming in this game. It’s more likely they are 6-1 or 7-0 and with a bona-fide Heisman candidate in QB Sam Howell, this could one of the biggest OOC games featuring an ACC team not named Clemson in a very long time.

UNC has come a long way under Mack Brown, but they lack a true signature splash win. This could be that chance.

2) Consolidated BYE weeks

11 of the 14 ACC teams’ BYE weeks are October 9-October 23. Only Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Syracuse fall outside of those weeks, and that creates a pretty fair distribution of the BYE weeks during the middle of the season where teams typically need it the most.

Hopefully the ACC can continue to manage the BYE weeks in this way and keep this competitive balance.

3) Louisville vs Ole Miss (September 6, 2021)

You can criticize some things about the ACC’s television agreement’s but the Labor day deal is not one of them. This day is always one the higher rated games of the year, and a showcase game for the conference in prime-time with nothing in competition.

It’s a big opportunity for Louisville and Scott Satterfield to rebound after a lackluster 2020 against the Rebels and Lane Kiffin.

Other

2web.jpg

Chick-fil-A restaurant proposed in DeWitt; would be 3rd location in Onondaga County (PS; $; Doran)

A new Chick-fil-A restaurant has been proposed in the town of DeWitt, a town official confirmed Tuesday.

It would be the third location for the popular fast-food restaurant in Onondaga County.

The Chick-fil-A would be at the corner of Erie Boulevard East and Bridge Street, on the site of the former Uncle’s Sam nightclub, which also was the Country Club and Oliver’s at different times. The building was demolished in 2017.

The proposal still has to be approved by the town of DeWitt.

Developer Grazi Zazzara bought the building in 2008, and had indicated he wanted to develop the site for retail or a restaurant.
Glad to see something being built on that abandoned lot on Erie Blvd and Bridge. The old building was a right eyesore.

With some good planning and foresight, that area could go from one of the ugliest areas in CNY to one of the prettiest very quickly. That body of water there is, I believe, the closest the old canal comes to the city (though I suspect it was a pond next to the canal, not part of the actual canal).

The new bike trail goes right by it. I bet it will be a place a lot of bicyclists stop at during their rides.