Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SLING_BRA0934_National_CutTheCord_Day_Badge_RGB_FINAL-01-scaled.jpg
Welcome to National Cut the Cord Day!

Streaming television service Sling TV created National Cut the Cord Day as a time when people "cut the cord" and move from cable to streaming. The day aims to dispel any excuses people still have to stay with cable and to show them it's easy to switch to streaming. It was first observed in 2020, on Sling TV's fifth anniversary, which they called their "Slingerversary." At the time, Sling TV claimed to have helped their subscribers save $1.2 billion since starting up business. Sling TV's pitch is that they allow customers to subscribe only to channels they want, and allow them to access local channels for free as part of their plan.

On the first observance of National Cut the Cord Day, Sling TV offered five days of deals for new, returning, and current subscribers. For example, new and returning subscribers were able to get their first month of service for $5. During the second observance, Sling TV organized a special offer called Sling Fling, which they dubbed "a daily, no credit card required, six-night primetime TV event." From 5 pm to midnight for six days, over 100 channels could be accessed for free. Sling TV offered other special offers as well, such as a month of Sling Orange or Sling Blue for $10.

SU News

One visit convinced SU football’s top recruit to forget the SEC: I don’t need to see Kentucky (PS; $; Mink)

Francois Nolton’s official visit last month was less than ideal.

His trip fell on one of the coldest weekends of the year, a Miami native suddenly exposed to bone-chilling temperatures.

His lead recruiter was stuck at home because of Covid, relegated to FaceTime calls.

Nolton, once committed to play in the Southeastern Conference at Florida, was scheduled to visit another school in the SEC East after the trip to Syracuse.

He never did.

“I don’t need to visit Kentucky,” Nolton told his long-time trainer in the hotel. “I want to be here.”

Nolton, the top high school recruit in SU’s 2022 recruiting class, locked in his commitment that January weekend, later signing a financial aid agreement that enabled him to enroll at the midyear and get a jumpstart on his college career.

He is coming off a senior season at Miami Edison High School in which he was credited with 25 sacks, earning an invitation to a prestigious high school football all-star game in Texas.

He’ll practice this spring at defensive end with an opportunity to move onto a two-deep that will be rife with underclassmen.

Nolton has work to do in the weight room to get there, but he has been trained to be able to stand up as an edge rusher, work the outside of an offensive tackle at the five technique or move slightly inside to the 4i-technique.

“I always told him if you get to 250, 260, you can play pretty much anywhere you want,” said Chuck Brown Jr., who has coached Nolton since middle school. “It’s just all how bad you want it.

Syracuse Football Won Big in the Offseason – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; Eads)

“We’ve got the majority of this football team coming back, and with some additions I think that we can be extremely different and exciting in 2022.”
That’s what SU Head Coach Dino Babers had to say following his team’s seventh loss to conclude the 2021 season. Now obviously a coach would say that after a third consecutive losing campaign. Now that we’ve progressed into February and both signing days have come and gone, it’s time to rewind and give coach credit. This Syracuse program looks to be in a much better spot in the matter of a few months and may have a team that could make some noise in the ACC.

What Have Babers and Company done to build their roster? Attack relentlessly in the coaching carousel, on the recruiting trail, and in the transfer portal. In case you missed everything, here are the moves that were made that have this program garnering momentum.

PLAYER RETENTION

A few Syracuse players had their futures up in the air following the conclusion of the 2021 campaign. Linebacker Mikel Jones was 50/50 between returning and heading to the NFL. The stud from IMG Academy elected to return. The rumors were a bit outlandish but the possibility of Sean Tucker exiting to play from a big time program was there.

The speedster instead decided to join the ‘Cuse track and field squad and stay with the team. The same could have been said about Duce Chestnut after a freshman All-American season. Each of these three prolific talents are back for the Orange.

MASSIVE ADDS IN THE TRANSFER PORTAL

A place like Syracuse is a perfect spot to dominate in the portal. Whether it be former big time recruits seeking a change of scenery, or a JUCO/D2/D3/Group of 5 transfer hoping to take a step up in competition level and play on bigger stages, the Salt City is a great option. The Orange compete in the power five, draw NFL attention, and in certain situations could offer immediate playing time.

SU used its enticing pitch to snag serious talents like DB Bralyn Oliver (Louisville), RB Juwaun Price (New Mexico State), WR CJ Hayes (Michigan State), DB Alijah Clark (Rutgers), and most recently CB Isaiah Johnson (Dartmouth). amongst others. All five of these players can start right away or will start in a few seasons. More importantly, each of these transfers have the potential to make an impact and aren’t simply just a throwaway scholarship.

Syracuse Football: Breaking down the Orange 2022 schedule, Purdue (itlh; Fiello)

Before the Syracuse football 2022 schedule was released, I said that despite the tough teams on the schedule, I thought this team could still have success and be a bowl team based on what I have seen so far this offseason. And when the schedule came out, it does appear difficult but I still stand by it.

So I sat down and decided that instead of just saying that I believe it again, I wanted to break the games down one by one and give you the information you need to decide for yourself. I will go game by game with fun stats like head-to-head outcomes, players to watch, my way too early rating of difficulty, and a few other notes that might help.

Here are the teams scheduled and links to those that are already published in case you missed one:

Louisville
UConn
Purdue
Virginia
Wagner
Bye Week
NC State
Clemson
Notre Dame
Pittsburgh
Florida State
Wake Forest
Boston College

Let’s go a bit further in-depth on Syracuse football hosting Purdue.

Syracuse Orange vs Purdue

September 17, 2022 (time and viewing options TBD)

Last season head to head
: Have only played each other once ever. In 2004, Purdue destroyed the Orange 51-0.

Opponent’s overall record last season: 9-4 (6-3 in Big 10 Conference play). Beat Tennessee 48-45 in Music City Bowl.

Stats from their last face-off: According to ESPN, former Chicago Bears QB Kyle Orton passed for 287 yards and 4 touchdowns. For Syracuse, Coach P was the head coach, freshman Joe Fields was the quarterback in his first game (though Perry Patterson came in later in the game as well) and Walter Reyes was the running back held to 31 yards and also fumbled the kickoff.

Possible level of difficulty on a scale of 1-10: 7. Tempted to go 8 but Purdue has never played in the Dome so I’m hoping for a little home-field advantage to help out. Needless to say, Syracuse football can win but it won’t be easy.

Key person on opposing team: Aiden O’Connell. Aiden is Purdue’s Sean Tucker, once buried deep in the depth chart but proved he belonged when his number was called. He is a returning Covid 5th-year senior so he knows their system well and the Syracuse secondary will have to play a good game and maybe get Mikel Jones and Marlowe Wax to put some big-time pressure on him.

How can Syracuse win: As I said earlier, if the defense can keep O’Connell guessing, that’ll help. Give Tucker a lot of carries offensively and ride his coat tail. Last season, according to NCAA official stats, Purdue was 77th in the country stopping the run but 33rd defending the pass so exploiting that run defense could be key. Also, I think something else that could make a difference is the fan base. A loud supportive crowd could help Syracuse’s confidence and intimidate Purdue.

Other news, notes and nuggets:

– The only things I know related to Purdue is the chicken, especially the Dino nuggets that my kids love, and that my friend and neighbor in Plum, PA, named Jay was accepted there. Jay and I used to laugh drinking IBC root beer because they looked like beer bottles. Hey, we were high school seniors and not the coolest of kids…it was funny to us.

If the Orange wants a shot at a bowl game, the best way might be to finish this game at least 2-1 but preferably 3-0. This will also help build interest and excitement in the fan base as well. I think this game could be one where if fans are loud and Syracuse football wins, we might see more fans wanting to attend and be a part of the excitement. Start out 1-2 or 0-3 and cue all the “Fire Babers” talk consuming social media and sports talk, especially with the level of difficulty getting higher after their bye week two weeks after this game.

– Dome Dogs > Famous Franks

– Football greats Bob Griese and Drew Brees went to Purdue but so did some well-known space explorers like Charles Walker, Andrew Feustel, Beth Moses and the first man to walk on the moon, Neil Armstrong. Google is a fun tool when you’re trying to figure out something fun or relevant to post.

– It’s still wintertime in CNY and no TV schedules have been announced but if I had to guess, I’d think this game has ESPN or ESPN 2 potential especially if both teams can get off to good starts.

– Could we see more matchups of these two teams in the future based on the new alliance announced between the ACC, Big 10 and Pac-12? If this is a drag-out, hard-fought, close game, could we see a new “rivalry” emerge?

ESPN analyst sees ACC trending toward becoming a Clemson, Miami conference (theclemsoninsider.com; Oliver)

An ESPN analyst was a guest this week on WCCP 105.5 FM The Roar and discussed the hype around Miami and new head coach Mario Cristobal, and what the potential re-emergence of the Hurricanes as a nationally relevant college football program might mean for the ACC and Clemson moving forward.

ESPN’s Roy Philpott believes things are looking up for Miami with Cristobal now in charge.

“There is a lot of buzz surrounding Mario Cristobal and Miami,” Philpott said in an interview with Kelly Gramlich on The Roar. “Now, it’s taking him a little bit of time to put that staff together. That’s generated a lot of conversation behind the scenes. But I think that as you look around at schools that have recruited Florida, the state of Florida, with a lot of success the last 10 to 15 years … Because Miami has just stunk and Miami has been without an identity and Miami has been without a quality head coach for any consistent period of time.

“Coach (Mark) Richt did it for a year or two, it was good. But it wasn’t what it was when Larry Coker, Dennis Erickson and Jimmy Johnson were doing their thing. Mario Cristobal at Miami, it feels like to me that legitimately they’re about to be back on the football map.”

If that’s the case, Philpott says it’s a good thing for the conference, especially from a financial and exposure standpoint.

“If you’re a fan of Clemson, if you’re a fan of the ACC, you’re looking at this from a twofold approach,” he said. “One, the league needs it. The conference needs it. If you’re talking about making up revenue gaps and generating more cash and more eyeballs and more television sets and that kind of thing, you need another brand to step up within the league, and you’re looking at potentially conference expansion somewhere down the line where you can renogiate and get a bigger deal. Again, that starts to maybe help close revenue gaps.”

Where the Blue Chips Came From in 2022 (RX; HM)

Where the Blue Chips Came From in 2022

Which states produced the most blue-chip football players in this recruiting cycle?

Most 5-Star & 4-Star Prospects by state (2022 class)

59 - TX
49 - FL
32 - GA
29 - CA
16 - AL
16 - LA
14 - OH
13 - NC
13 - TN
12 - PA
12 - VA
10 - MS
10 - IN
9 - OK
9 - MI
8 - MD
8 - MO
7 - IL
7 - NV
— Pick Six Previews (@PickSixPreviews) February 2, 2022

How Bad Was the 2021 Season for Clemson? (RX; HM)

How Bad Was the 2021 Season for Clemson?

The Clemson Tigers lost 3 regular season football games in 2021. Here are the teams, their final AP ranking, the score when they beat Clemson, and their final W-L record:

RankOpponentScoreW-L
1vs Georgia [1]10-314-1
20at NC State [2]27-21 OT9-3
13at Pitt [3]27-1711-3
In other words, the Tigers lost these three games by a total of 23 points, and six of those points came in overtime. None of Clemson's losses were at home, and all three were to Top 20 teams.

Here are some additional notes about those three Clemson losses:

[1] Other than their loss to Alabama in the SEC Championship Game (which the Bulldogs avenged in the CFP National Championship Game), the 7-point victory over Clemson - a game played at a neutral site stadium in Charlotte, NC - was the closest game the Bulldogs played all season. In fact, Georgia's second-closest regular season game was a 17-point victory over Kentucky; the Dawgs beat South Carolina by 27, Vanderbilt by 62, Arkansas by 37, Auburn by 24, Florida by 27, Missouri by 37, and Tennessee by 24.

[2] NC State lost it's biggest P5 road games (at Mississippi State, at Miami, and at Wake Forest) - with one exception: at UNC. The Wolfpack never got a chance to win at a neutral site when UCLA backed out of the Holiday Bowl at the last minute. Clemson lost to NC State on the road, in overtime, by six.

[3] Pitt won the ACC with an 11-2 record, then lost the Peach Bowl while star quarterback Kenny Pickett sat out the game.

Along the way, Pitt picked up a win at Tennessee, as well as the afore-mentioned ACC Championship over #16 Wake Forest. So Clemson lost to the eventual ACC Football Championship on the road by 10 points.

Winning against good FBS Teams, 2014-2021 (RX; HM)

Winning against good FBS Teams, 2014-2021

Most college football teams pad their wins by beating up on cupcakes. These guys don't need to...
Only teams in playoff era to which more than half their wins came vs. FBS opponents who finished .500 or better:
Alabama, 66%
Clemson, 62%
Ohio St, 59%
UGA, 55%
LSU, 54%
Boise St, 53%
Auburn, 52%
FSU, 51%
Miami, 51%
— ️♈️ (@ADavidHaleJoint) February 8, 2022
Clemson has been beating up on some pretty good teams! Yet, the Tigers are not alone. Notice how many ACC teams there are in Hale's list (3 out of 9):
  1. Clemson
  2. Florida State
  3. Miami
While you definitely think of Clemson and, maybe, Florida State before Jimbo Fisher burned the place down, how many would've included Miami on this list?

Other

3YSYKHAPFNBZNIRABRFNT76WOU.jpg

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que chips at Wegmans. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

Just in time for the Super Bowl: Dinosaur Bar-B-Que chips in to help fight hunger in CNY (PS; Miller)

A Western New York potato chip company has teamed with one of Syracuse’s most popular restaurants to create a locally-flavored Super Bowl snack.

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que and New York Chips constructed a potato chip that tastes like the familiar sauce found on ribs and chicken at the Willow Street bar and eatery. Hundreds of the 8-ounce bags hit store shelves on Friday, with money from the sales going to the Central New York Food Bank.

John Stage, the founder of Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, worked with All Seasonings in Oneida to deconstruct the flavor profile of his restaurant’s original slathering sauce. It took about 10 back-and-forth exchanges over the past year before they settled on something that resembles the sauce, but in a powder that would stick to the locally-grown potatoes.

“It’s not as easy as it sounds,” Stage said Monday. “It was quite a process. But they’re pretty tasty, don’t you think?”

The ruffled chips do taste like a dry version of a potato dipped in Stage’s sauce, not just a chip covered in salty spices.

Stage says the chip is designed to eat on its own, not dunked in onion dip. They’re probably better served with a cold beer, he suggested.

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que chips

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que chips. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

New York Chips will pay the Dinosaur 4% of the price paid for each bag as a licensing fee. Stage is donating all of that income to the Food Bank of Central New York, a non-profit organization that works to eliminate hunger through food distribution, education and advocacy.

“I wanted (the money) to help the people here,” Stage said. “The Food Bank works so hard to feed those who need it. It all starts with them.”

Last year, the Food Bank distributed more than 18 million pounds of fresh produce, dairy and lean meats to community organizations, said Lynn Hy, the Food Bank’s chief development officer.

“As long as the chips sell, New York Chips will keep making them, and the Fook Bank will continue to benefit,” Hy said.

The chips are available at Wegmans, Tops, Walmart, Nichols and 7-Eleven stores. They’re also available at all Dinosaur restaurants. At Wegmans, you can grab a bag for $2.99. They’re already selling quickly. On Monday, two of the shelves that once each held 50 bags at the end of aisle 1A at the Fairmount Wegmans had already been cleaned out.

This is a really important article that contains a lot of good info about what the ACC is doing with football. Sounds like divisions are going away. Maybe even for next season.

Impressed with Phillips. He gets it.