Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to World Softball Day!

World Softball Day is all about encouraging federations and individuals around the world to get involved in softball. It doesn’t matter how old you are, how good you are, or where you come from, this day is about showing that anyone can participate in the sport.

It’s not just about promoting softball either; it is bigger than this. It is about promoting physical activity in general and good health, as well as international spirit and social integration. World Softball Day is also important for inspiring future generations of girls and boys in order to seek excellence and become empowered through sport. This is a great day for us to inspire people to become active in sport; anyone can do it!

SU News

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/for-dye-twins-syracuse-official-was-family-affair (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse commits Travon and Trashon Dye took official visits over the weekends to get a closer look at their future home and showcase the program to close family. Visiting together is fitting since the twins also committed together.

"(The coaches said) that we are building a special group and it started with me and my brother," Travon said. "Coach Long also got up every morning to chat and have some coffee with my grandmother and aunt."

Dye's grandmother and aunt were key parts of the visit as it was the first time they got to see Syracuse.

"It was honestly intriguing to them," Travon said. "They saw father figures in the coaches, which was awesome and related to so many things on difference levels. So spending time with my family only made them feel more comfortable and convincing to them. Which made, without a doubt to them, that we are being left in good hands."

While the Passaic County Tech (NJ) standouts have been committed since March, this visit was critical for the Dyes' family to feel comfortable about where they would be for their collegiate years.

Syracuse Football: Phil Steele doesn’t have a ton of optimism about ‘Cuse (itlh; Fiello)

It’s that time of year when college football writer Phil Steele releases his evaluations and predictions for the season, including for Syracuse football.

Last year, he picked Syracuse football to finish dead last in the Atlantic Division and this year, according to a recent article from Syracuse.com writer Emily Leiker, he has a bit more optimism but not much.

Phil predicts in 2023 that the Orange will finish 10th in the ACC but still make a bowl game. And as far as ranking position groups, he seems to only think the linebackers (5th) and quarterbacks (6th) are worthy of a top 10 rating.

Here’s the reality: Phil is basing his information on past success/failure which is all he has since he’s not a fan thriving on hope and belief plus conversations with coaches and others. But he doesn’t have a crystal ball nor do I when I say I believe 2023 could be a special season if injured guys return healthier and others stay healthy at least long term.

Phil Steele doesn’t have a ton of optimism about Syracuse football.

And also keep in mind that Phil does spend a lot of time putting these together but it’s simply an opinion….a somewhat educated opinion but that’s all it really is. So there’s no reason to be angry, disappointed or excited I guess but if you see that news and that’s how you process it, I won’t talk you out of it.

Want to better understand NIL? Syracuse native and NIL influencer has some answers (PS; $; Ditota)

Jim Cavale was on the cutting edge of name, image and likeness before college athletes were allowed to earn money from NIL on July 1, 2021.

His company, INFLCR, supplied software to colleges that initially provided athletes with images they could post on social media for fun or to boost their personal brand. After July 1, athletes could use the INFLCR app as a gathering place for their NIL activity.

Cavale is a Syracuse native. Syracuse University had been an INFLCR client for about a year before NIL dawned. INFLCR and SU announced an expansion of their partnership on the day NIL became “legal” for college athletes.

Cavale has been immersed in NIL and its satellite spinoff issues for years. We spoke last Thursday about various topics of interest in NIL. At the time, New York State had just passed a bill that aimed to prevent the NCAA from punishing a school it believes violated NIL guidelines. The bill awaits the signature of Gov. Kathy Hochul.

Other states have passed similar legislation, which has drawn the wrath of NCAA president Charlie Baker, who has been lobbying in Washington, D.C. to get a uniform federal law passed.

Of those individual state laws, Baker said last week, “they say screw the NCAA. Screw the conference. Screw their rules.”

Syracuse Football Preview 2023 (youtube.com; video; No Huddle with Zach)

In this video I give a quick preview of the upcoming season for the Syracuse Orange. College football is right around the corner, and like you guys, I can’t wait for it to start. Be sure to leave a like, and subscribe if you’re new. Ring that bell so you’re ready for your favorite teams video.

‎ESPN Syracuse/Utica-Rome: 30 Minutes In Orange Nation 6-12-23 on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; radio; Orange Nation)

30 Minutes In Orange Nation 6-12-23

Paulie and Steve open the show by debating which team at Syracuse is going to improve the most next season between Football, MBB, MLAX & WBB. Then, the guys discuss the new change to the block/charge call in college basketball. Finally, Jordan returns from his vacation to talk a little NBA Finals with the guys and discuss something that bothered him at Syracuse Mets games.

ER7POM5YIBAZNIK5UZMD6SGMZE.JPG

Jim Brown is shown on the field on the day of his last college game for Syracuse Universityin a 1957 handout from the school. (KEVIN RIVOLI/AP)

When the Cleveland Browns’ Jim Brown rocked Homewood Field as a lacrosse player (baltimoresun.com; Kelly)

Jim Brown, the former Cleveland Browns fullback and civil rights activist, had a night in Baltimore still vividly remembered by lacrosse fans fortunate enough to have witnessed his brilliant performance in 1957.

Brown, 87, died last month and was acclaimed as one of the greatest running backs of all time, an NFL legend and a Most Valuable Player.

As a Syracuse University student, he also played lacrosse and often confessed his affection for the game.

What brought Brown to Baltimore was the North-South All-Star Game, a hybrid contest that was the lacrosse’s season finale showcase. Top college players from the two regions competed against one another.

The North was represented by players from the U.S. Military Academy, Colgate University, the University of New Hampshire, Hofstra University, Rutgers University, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and Syracuse.

The South was composed of the University of Baltimore, the Johns Hopkins University, the U.S. Naval Academy, the University of Virginia and Washington and Lee University.

2026 QB Semaj Beals recaps Syracuse camp and offer (247sports.com; Finneral)

Class of 2026 quarterback Semaj Beals attended camp at Syracuse a few weekends ago. Beals went into the camp with a lot of respect for Syracuse and left with a very positive impression of the football program.

“Syracuse is a great program,” Beals said. “They have some good ties to south Jersey too.”

Beals is an extremely impressive young quarterback from Roman Catholic High School in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Beals picked up an offer from Syracuse after his performance at the camp.

“I’m very interested in Syracuse,” Beals said. “It’s an interesting option because I believe they are doing some great things.”

Beals has built up an extensive offer sheet after just his freshman season. He has offers from Alabama, Penn State, Maryland, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Duke, Boston College and others. Beals has a long way to go in his high school career and he is determined to keep improving.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/zekai-wimberly-details-syracuse-commitment (SI; McAllister)

West Orange (NJ) High linebacker Zekai Wimberly committed to Syracuse during his official visit over the weekend.

"Just because of the coaches, it felt like that they really cared for me," Wimberly said. "That they want what's best for me. Then life after football. They were all telling me, and it's the truth, one day you're going to retire whether making it to the league or not, but being at Cuse I'm going to major in communications and sports broadcasting. They're number one in the country. With all of the connections I see they have and opportunities, I felt like I fit there."

The Orange was at the top of Wimberly's recruitment entering the visit, but it was a discussion with head coach Dino Babers that clinched the decision.

"I kinda came in as them being the top team for me," Wimberly said. "But what sealed the deal is just talking to coach Babers. It was so sincere. Even my mother, my father and my sister were like 'this is the real him.' He's not a two faced person. He's straight up. He tells you what you need to hear, not what you want to here. I really respect that."

ORANGE ZONE: Reviewing this year in SU athletics (art19.com; podcast; The Orange Zone)

The 2022-2023 collegiate athletics season is over...well at least it's as close to over as it can be.

On the latest episode of "The Orange Zone Podcast," Tommy Sladek, Samantha Croston discuss the news that men's basketball standout Judah Mintz will return to the Orange for his sophomore season (04:45-09:13). They then take a look back on the year in Cuse athletics as a whole and do their best to rank some of the biggest moments Orange fans saw, heard and felt from the start of fall all the way to the doorstep of summer (09:14-30:52).

Those aren't the only memories Tommy, Sam and Producer Brendon have up their sleeves though, as each has picked out a favorite moment of theirs from this first year of "The Orange Zone Podcast". They each share those moments (30:53-40:57) before turning to another edition of Producer Brendon's patented trivia with a track and field twist ahead of this week's National Championships (40:58-44:14).

The offseason's ahead, and while Syracuse Orange sports are taking a break, rest assured you'll be seeing and hearing plenty from "The Orange Zone Podcast" team during the summer months as your stop for all things Orange.

Get to Know Your Orange Man: #78 OL Joe Cruz (TNIAAM; Haller)

It’s time to start preparing for the upcoming Syracuse Orange football season. We’re going through the roster to take a look at each Syracuse player as we get ready for a critical season for the Orange.

Up next is….

Name: Joe Cruz

Position: Offensive Line

Year: Redshirt Freshman

Height: 6’5”

Weight: 277 lbs.

Hometown: Holbrook, N.Y.

High school: Sachem North

2022 stats: Saw action in three games at tackle: UConn, Wagner and Wake.

2023 projections: Cruz preserved his redshirt year last season and should be able to use that as a springboard to add some more experience and weight room action to his game. He looked solid over the spring and could be in the running for more minutes on a line that needs bodies, having lost a good chunk of the returning starters.

How’d he get here?: He was the top rated lineman recruit out of NY and stayed home after offers from Lafayette and Stony Brook.

Broadcast Director in Syracuse, NY for Syracuse University (ncaa.org)

Broadcast Director
Syracuse University
FacebookTwitterLinkedInShare

APPLY NOW

Details
Posted: 12-Jun-23
Type: Full-time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Categories:
Operations
Operations - Marketing/Promotions

Sector:
Collegiate Sports

Internal Number: 038947
Syracuse University invites applicants for the Broadcast Director position. The Broadcast Director of Athletics Production reports to the Sr. Producer and will coordinate, direct, and participate in the creative development and execution of all live-game productions for Syracuse University as well as for ESPN/ACC Network.
In addition, the Broadcast Director will assist in creating storyline ideas for broadcasts and provide input for implementing innovative graphics for remote telecasts. The Broadcast Director will also be responsible for assisting in all other media functions for the athletic department’s social media platforms as assigned by the Senior Producer/Athletics Production and Executive Senior Associate Athletics Director/Chief Marketing Officer.

This position will have a significant impact on the visual branding of the Syracuse University athletics program. The ideal candidate must have a minimum of 3 years directing network level live sporting events, be a team player and be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously, meet tight completion deadlines, work independently, communicate effectively, and emphasize creativity in his/her work.

We are looking for someone to bring forward-thinking production ideas, strong technical knowledge, and the ability to manage quality control at a network television level. Support the Athletic Department’s efforts in new and emerging social media and networking platforms by working assisting the direct supervisor with meeting content goals on digital platforms.

Responsibilities include but not limited to:

Produce and Direct live sports programs and special events. Work with ESPN to follow network guidelines for show implementation. Consult the producing team to improve the overall quality of the show. Work with the production crew to execute a high-quality network programming. Collaborate with the in-house production team to build out all shows and studios for the network which includes planning, blocking, and launching. Assist with special projects as determined by Athletic Department. Other duties as assigned.

Qualifications: A Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Job Specific Qualifications:

Three (3) plus years’ experience producing and directing live sports television on network level. Know-how to work seamlessly with talent and technical staff. Good instincts, creative ideas, strong visual ability. Leadership capabilities and exceptional ability to stay calm under intense and constant pressure. Strong analytical and technical skills. Flexibility to work all shifts in a 24/7/365 sports television environment. Solid knowledge of sports and news of the day.
Interested candidates must apply online at www.sujobopps.com (job # 038947).

ACC News

Links, News and Rumors 2023 June 12 (RX; HM)

Links, News and Rumors 2023 June 12

Congratulations to Wake Forest University and the University of Virginia, both of whom have advanced to the Baseball College World Series! Wake is in bracket 1, while UVa is in bracket 2.

From a Guest Post on Matt Brown's Extra Points website: Here's why the IRS doesn't think most NIL collectives can be 501(c)3s

According to a memo released from the office of the IRS Chief Counsel, donations made to nonprofit NIL collectives “are not tax exempt” because the benefits they provide college athletes are “not incidental both qualitatively and quantitatively to any exempt purpose.”

Disclaimer: This newsletter is not legal advice.

Internal Revenue Code (IRC) § 501(c)(3) requires organizations to meet a specific set of criteria. Other tax-exempt organizations unquestionably provide a public good (e.g., veterans’ organizations and cemetery companies), but only 501(c)(3)s allow a tax deduction for the donor.
A 501(c)(3) must meet 4 criteria. I think of these as a slalom race—you must clear all the gates to be a finisher. If you miss one, you are DQ’d from being a 501(c)(3).

1. They must be organized and operated exclusively for one of the exempt purposes stated in § 501(c)(3) (collectives fall in the general “charitable” category, not educational even if they provide some education modules).
  2. No part of their net earnings may benefit a private shareholder or individual.
  3. A substantial amount of their activities may not be related to lobbying.
  4. They cannot participate in political campaigns.

We’re focused on the first two.

Here's the money quote:

An organization can be a nonprofit without being tax-exempt, but not vice versa.
These NIL collectives may be "nonprofit", but that doesn't mean you can legally deduct your donations from your personal taxes. Many will donate anyway, but that change may impact the amount they can afford to donate (because the government will no longer be subsidizing your NIL donations via tax refund).

From MattSarzSports' "Notes on the 2023 CFB TV Early Season & Special Date Selections" (posted on June 5th, 2023):

How to fill the Big Ten gap on ABC:

The ACC has five games under their control, plus three more neutral site games that they have a participant and a non-conference road game, through the opening set of TV announcements. The Pac-12 and Big 12 will also have a large presence on ABC this year...
There's still a decent amount of TBAs for the first three weeks

If its an ACC home game, there's still a debate happening whether the RSN package that has mostly aired on Bally Sports RSNs for the past few years still exists. If you've followed any sports media news, a fan of the San Diego Padres, or an avid bankruptcy court consumer, you're keenly aware of the decision Diamond Sports Group has made to declare bankruptcy and either make partial payments to several MLB clubs for TV rights or in the case of the Padres, relinquish them.
Raycom Sports, who manages the regional TV contract for the ACC via a sublicense from ESPN, is one of Diamond's creditors. It is certainly possible, now that a bankruptcy court has ruled in favor of four MLB teams who have been paid less than their contracts require, that Raycom could get in line asking for their money.
While I can't get into any specifics, I'm told that the RSN package is in a holding pattern, [my italics - HM] but that Raycom is working on plans for a package of games and that some of the TBA games will be part of that.

2023 Preseason Ranking Best ACC Defenses (RX; HM)

2023 Preseason Ranking Best ACC Defenses

From ESPN: Ranking the 10 best college football defenses ahead of the 2023 season

Two of their Top 10 defenses (preseason) are ACC teams...

5. Clemson Tigers

It is safe to say the Clemson defense was not up to its usual standard last season. The Tigers finished sixth (!) in the ACC in total defense -- the first time in nine years they were not top two in the league. First-time coordinator Wes Goodwin had big shoes to fill in replacing Brent Venables. But it also did not help that Clemson had injuries to key players on its defensive line, including starter Bryan Bresee, and had difficulty stopping the pass with a secondary that gave up far too many big plays.
But there is reason for optimism headed into 2023. Clemson returns the best starting linebacker duo in the country in Jeremiah Trotter Jr. and Barrett Carter, who combined for 169 tackles in their first year as starters in 2022. They showed the type of big-play capability that Clemson generally gets at linebacker -- with 24 tackles for loss and 12 sacks between them. There is depth and veteran leadership along the defensive front, too, with Tyler Davis, Xavier Thomas and Ruke Orhorhoro returning. True freshman Peter Woods earned raves during spring practice and is expected to be a big-time contributor.
The secondary also should be better, with Nate Wiggins and Andrew Mukuba returning and the addition of freshman Khalil Barnes. The spring game showcased the potential this defense has headed into the season. Going into Year 2 as the defensive playcaller should be a significant help for Goodwin as well. -- Andrea Adelson

7. Florida State Seminoles

Florida State has made significant progress on defense each year Mike Norvell has been head coach. Headed into 2023, the defense is expected to take an even bigger leap thanks to major contributors returning and yet another influx from the transfer portal.

Other

YFLVDTIHQFHOHCPR7CRO5O5BW4.jpg

Lunch at El Habanero in Syracuse. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

First Look: The Cuban sandwich returns to Burnet Ave., this time with a side of Mexican (PS; Miller)

During its three-year lifespan, a tiny storefront in the city’s Hawley-Green neighborhood served as an assembly line of 4-pound Cuban sandwiches that sold for a mere $12.99 apiece. It was, without a doubt, one of the best culinary steals in Central New York.

A full year has passed since Alberto Ginarte abruptly shut down Esquina Habanera, leaving us with just a note promising “Will open under new management.”

It took 400 days, but the Cuban version of the ham & cheese sandwich finally returned to 324 Burnet Ave. last Wednesday when Yordania Reyes opened El Habanero.

“I’m really excited, and everyone who walks by and comes in seems really happy,” Yordania said during lunch last Tuesday.

Her customers do indeed seem enthusiastic to have a restaurant back in this spot. Three times last week, customers walking out told me I was in for a treat as I walked in.

“It’s not good food. It’s great food,” said a city construction worker carrying three bags of takeout for him and his colleagues.

“Such flavor,” another said the next day. “You’re going to love it.”

You should know that El Habanero isn’t a knockoff of Esquina Habanera. The Cuban sandwich is clearly the signature dish here, and the menu offers three other Cuban entrees. But Yordania, who grew up and learned to cook in Cuba, is also serving Mexican food.

That includes eight different tacos, quesadillas, tostada, chalupas and chimichangas. The Tacos de Birria are among her favorite.

G3PPB4KL2BFN7IB6DZC37V7XQQ.JPG

Great Northern Mall as it prepared to close its doors. (Elizabeth Doran|edoran@syracuse.com)

Buyer wrests control of Great Northern Mall. Here’s the ambitious makeover he imagines (PS; $; Doran)

A Syracuse-based developer is weeks away from buying Great Northern Mall, and he hopes to transform the eyesore into a community of medical offices, entertainment spaces and hundreds of homes.

Guy Hart Jr. and his company, Hart-Lyman Cos., want to remake the 120-plus acres in a retail stretch at Route 31 and Interstate 481 into a “town center,” a place where people can work, play, shop and live all within a walkable area.

He wants it to be one of a handful of “town centers” that Onondaga County Executive Ryan McMahon says are key to attracting and housing thousands of workers expected to flock to the northern part of the county with the expected arrival of Micron Technology.

If successful, it would be a unique makeover of a Central New York mall. It would include apartments, townhomes, offices, national retailers and maybe a national grocery store and movie theatre.

“People can live here, go see their doctor, get their hair cut, eat at a favorite restaurant, go to a coffee shop and have access to Route 31,” said County Executive Ryan McMahon, who supports Hart’s vision, told syracuse.com | The Post-Standard. “They don’t have to leave if they don’t want to.”

Hart said he recently finalized the purchase agreement with the mall’s current owner, an out-of-town landlord who ended up selling a mall with leaking pipes and a handful of stores for less than $10 million.

Now the real work begins.

Hart, who specializes in building chain drug stores and strip malls, says he has financing for the $9.5 million purchase.

But he needs a national-level partner to help with what comes next.

Hart says he’s in final talks with several large real estate and investment partners, whose interest in investing in the Syracuse area grew after Micron announced it would build a computer chip fabrication complex just a few miles away from the aging mall.

This large-scale developer, if secured, would join him in rebuilding the mall site. He estimates the project will cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

McMahon said he’s happy a local developer is spearheading the project.