Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to National Ice Cream Soda Day!

This is a day dedicated to ice cream sodas, also known as ice cream floats, which are drinks consisting of ice cream in a soft drink, or in flavored syrup and carbonated water. There are innumerable variations of the drink that can be made by changing the flavor of either the ice cream or the soft drink. Which variations are the most popular depend on where in the world you go. Most likely, Robert McCay Green invented the ice cream soda in 1874, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, at the semicentennial for the Franklin Institute. It is believed that Green ran out of ice for the cold drinks he was selling, so he used some ice cream from a nearby vendor, thus creating the new type of drink. By Green's account, the ice cream soda's creation was no accident, but something he worked to create so that it could be used to lure customers away from a bigger, fancier soda fountain, to his own. There are other accounts of how the ice cream soda was invented, but the story of Green is the most prominent. It didn't take long for the ice cream soda to gain in popularity, and it was served at soda fountains across the country.

SU News

Goodacre-1200-913152035.webp

Greg Powers

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...-visit-has-kansas-on-tap-sets-commitment-date (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2024 Denton (TX) Guyer offensive lineman Willie Goodacre is one of the top players at his position in the Lone Star State. He boasts offers from Arizona State, BYU, Cal, Houston, Kansas, Michigan State, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, SMU and many others in addition to Syracuse. He spent the weekend on Syracuse's campus for an official visit.

"It was amazing," Goodacre said. "It was one of those visits where you could tell everyone was genuine. It's a great place. Especially with the recruits and stuff that are up there. Them getting a quarterback and the number one tight end in Georgia, that's a hell of a weekend to go to a visit at Syracuse."

The 6-4, 315 pounder was able to bond with the Orange coaches during the trip.

"It was a great time," Goodacre said. "I spent a lot of time with all the coaches. All the coaches made it known that I was the most priority recruit that weekend. It was one of those things where they were fighting their butts off and made it really hard for any other school. Scheme wise, it's the same exact scheme my high school runs so it wouldn't be a transition at all for me. Just different terminology."

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/jamie-tremble-details-syracuse-commitment (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2024 four star Norcross (GA) Wesleyan tight end Jamie Tremble committed to Syracuse over the weekend, just one week after officially visiting.

"Especially after my official visit, it's the best fit for me, honestly," Tremble said. "The position I play as a split out tight end, just how Oronde Gadsden plays, thinking about how programs are going to use me I think they would be utilize my skill set. After the official visit, looking around campus, thinking about all they had to offer with that coaching staff, that nailed my decision. That's the main reason, they fit my skill set the best."

Once his decision was made, it was time to tell the coaches.

"The whole coaching staff was going crazy," Tremble said. "I called coach Babers after coach Campanile. I called him and he was going absolutely nuts. He was like, 'oh, are you serious?' He texted me that I don't know how crazy the coaching staff is going right now. They were going nuts. It was great. Definitely made me happy to see that they really wanted me and were really excited to get me. It definitely made me feel good to know that they truly wanted me."

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/justice-williams-enjoys-syracuse-official-visit (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2024 Westlake Village (CA) Oaks Christian wide receiver Justice Williams took an official visit to Syracuse over the weekend.

"It was a standard official visit and I really enjoyed it," Williams said. "The coaching staff was great as well as the players. Probably my favorite thing about the visit was seeing the facilities and hanging around with the players so I can ask the honest questions."

Williams' player host was Orange tight end Oronde Gadsden.

"I just asked him how is the culture up here, how is NIL and all that," Williams said. "He said the culture was great, just a bunch of guys trying to get better. It was good to hear. I asked him about the academics and what not, which is obviously really good since it's Syracuse."

The 6-4, 195 pounder's father, Roland Williams, played at Syracuse during his college days and was on the official visit.

"He was happy to see that some things changed for the program," Williams said. "He was one of the first people (athletes) to do Newhouse. It kind of made it more accessible to athletes to get their degrees."

Williams also spent time with the Syracuse coaches.

"Coach Babers being the head coach and coach Johnson being the wide receivers coach," Williams said. "They were really up front with me and their interest in me coming there. With my ability and my size, I'd be able to make a large impact on the game."

2024 TE Kade Caton reacts to Syracuse offer (247sports.com; Finneral)

Class of 2024 tight end Kade Caton recently picked up an offer from Syracuse. Caton is very familiar with the Syracuse football program and was thrilled to receive an offer.

"Super exited when I got the offer," Caton said. "My dad coached there for three years, I was able to grow up around the team and the coaching staff. I loved every min of being around the team."

Caton's father Keith was an assistant strength and conditioning coach at Syracuse. Caton will play at Manvel High School in Texas after playing last season at Byrnes High School in South Carolina. Caton feels a strong connection with the Syracuse football program and will consider the Orange throughout his recruitment.

"I'm definitely interested in the school, especially since I know the coaching staff and lived there," Caton said.

Caton has not visited Syracuse as a recruit, but he plans to soon. He is excited to see what Syracuse has in store for its new facilities.

"Since I've already been there, I know they have great facilities and can't wait to see what their new facilities are going to look like," Caton said.

Caton stands at six-foot-five, 250-pounds and has a lot of potential at the tight end position. Caton's size and strength make him a very capable blocker, but he is also a solid route runner with reliable hands.

Syracuse Football: 5 recent ‘Cuse commits show excitement in recruiting (itlh; Fiello)

I admit, this Syracuse football fan doesn’t follow recruiting much until they commit. It’s not from lack of caring but simply because I like to focus on the players who want to be there and will be.

But recently you’d have to be blind if you’re on social media and don’t notice that Syracuse football recruiting is on fire lately (or lit as my son might say…I think).

The Syracuse football program recently held an elite camp and is hosting a lot of visits as well. The tweets coming from them seem to be mostly positive and genuinely encouraging.

And with this, I thought I’d take a moment to write about the five most recent recruits I’ve seen on social media committing to the Orange.

#Empire24 pic.twitter.com/J0NQIAjaCM
— Dino Babers (@CoachBabersCuse) June 11, 2023

And to be fair so as not to play favorites, I’ll share them in order of committing (or at least try) starting with the most recent and working my way back and will include their commitment tweet. If I missed someone, I’m sorry but these are the last five I’ve seen personally.

Here are five prospects who recently made verbal commitments to Syracuse football.

Brendan Zurbrugg

Brendan is a three-star quarterback out of Ohio. According to his Twitter feed, he received the offer June 7th and committed to Syracuse 11 days later, 2 days after getting an offer from Northwestern University. Brandon is also a high school hurdling athlete who recently finished 5th in the 300-meter hurdles at the OHSAA state meet after winning the regional meet.

Could we see him hurdling defenders like Eric Dungey and Riley Dixon before him? I trust Syracuse offensive coordinator Jason Beck and his track record with quarterbacks so if he offered this young man, that’s all I need to know that he’s someone I can get behind.

James “Jamie” Tremble

Jamie is someone who truly intrigues me with his signing. Not just because he’s a 4-star TE recruit from Georgia which is pretty sweet but it’s what he told Syracuse recruiting expert Mike McAllister about why he chose SU.

Jamie told Mike that the two things that helped his decision was the facilities and that TE Coach Nunzio Campanile told him about the upcoming upgrades. Plus Jamie says that the staff also informed him how they intend to use him and become a possible replacement for current SU TE/WR Oronde Gadsden II. If true, I’d say the investment into the facilities is already paying off and I look forward to him at 6’4 205 growing into the role as a possible top target for the Orange offense.

Syracuse football: let’s meet two more 2024 commitments (TNIAAM; Wall)

The Syracuse Orange continue to build the 2024 recruiting class. Right now Syracuse has 10 verbal commitments as they look to develop the talent needed to compete in the ACC.

Three-star athlete Clinton Robinson from Pittsburgh made his verbal commitment on Friday afternoon. The 6’1 191 pound player chose the Orange over West Virginia and a number of MAC offers. He plays wide receiver and defensive back and we’ll see where the Syracuse coaches ultimately decide to place him.

COMMITTED!!! pic.twitter.com/Ea5QXTuIKU
— Clinton robinson (@clintonrob3) June 16, 2023

On Sunday afternoon, Syracuse received their first quarterback commit of this class. Brendan Zurbregg of Alliance, Ohio chose the Orange over Northwestern and several MAC offers. Zurbregg is a 6’3” dual-threat QB who is rated as a three-star recruit, and the 52nd best QB by On3.com. Here’s a look at his film:

Syracuse’s 2024 class is now ranked 52nd by 247 and 54th by On3 and maybe another head coach can help Dino Babers land a legacy recruit...if so then maybe the staff has a new ace up their sleeve.

The coolest night in a long time. ⁦@CoachBabersCuse⁩ invited me over to hang with the parents of his recruits. And look who walks in!!! Roland Williams! I forgot why I was there. We laughed and told silly stories. So proud of this man! We Fight On! As Orange! pic.twitter.com/0X1JOYH0CS
— Felisha Legette-Jack (@CuseCoachJack) June 18, 2023

Get to Know Your Orange Man: #58 DL Denis Jaquez Jr. (TNIAAM; De Guzman)

It’s time to start preparing for the upcoming Syracuse Orange football season. We’re going through the roster to take a look at each Syracuse player as we get ready for a critical season for the Orange.

Up next is….

Name: Denis Jaquez Jr.

Position: Defensive Line

Year: Sophomore

Height: 6’4”

Weight: 240 lbs.

Hometown: Richland, N.J.

High school: St. Augustine Prep

2022 stats: A rotation player as a true freshman, Jaquez played in the first six games of the season, totaling three tackles and a 0.5 sack. An arm injury forced him to miss the last half of the year.

2023 projections: Jaquez will be needed on a defensive line that is bound to heavily rotate as usual in the 3-3-5. Breaking into that rotation as a true freshman last year is no small feat, so the assumption should be that Jaquez will once again play in some capacity in every game.

How’d he get here?: Originally a Northwestern commit, Syracuse flipped him late as he committed on early signing day.

2024 QB Brandon Zurbrugg Commits to Syracuse (orangefizz.net; Simone)

Syracuse has gotten a commitment from a quarterback in the class of 2024. Brandon Zurbrugg, an unranked prospect from Ohio has said he plans to attend Syracuse starting next year.

Zurbrugg is 6’3 180 pounds and doesn’t have a star attached to his ranking, according to 247Sports. He’s from Alliance, Ohio and attends Alliance High School. He’s the first quarterback in Syracuse’s class of 2024.

Syracuse’s quarterback room, both in the present and the near future, looked like a major strength just a couple of months ago, but now there are plenty of questions. Garrett Shrader is the unquestioned starter this year, but is out of eligibility after 2023.

Behind him, Carlos Del Rio-Wilson completed less than half of his passes last year. He has plenty of talent, especially with his arm. He was a former top 100 recruit in the class of 2021 and spent a year at Florida. He has two years of eligibility remaining.

Braden Davis is in a similar position. He was another former four star prospect who spent last year at South Carolina and transferred to SU this offseason after not playing for the Gamecocks last year. He, like Del Rio-Wilson, has plenty of natural talent, but it’s unproven at the collegiate level.

ACC News

Pitt Target 2024 DB Cornell Allen II Announces Commitment Date (pittsburghsportsnow.com; Campbell)

Pitt football has continued to makes strides in terms of recruiting in the Class of 2024, boasting 19 commits and the No. 14 class, according to 247Sports.

Defensive back Cornell Allen II spoke to Pittsburgh Sports Now, announcing Pitt in his top six finalists ahead of his commitment dates this Saturday, June 24. Joining Pitt in his six schools are Charlotte, UConn, Indiana, Kansas and Missouri. Allen named Pitt in his top ten schools back in May, with Arizona State, Central Florida (UCF), Cincinnati and Eastern Michigan missing the final cut.

“Pitt is a finalist because it is a special place,” Allen said. “Obviously it is big time ACC football, but the location of the school is very special in the city. I love how the facilities are shared amongst the university and the Steelers and that is very important because I have a dream of playing in the NFL.”

Realigned National Champs (c 2024) (RX; HM)

Realigned National Champs (c 2024)

Tony Altimore has come on strong lately with some great analytical twitter posts (not just Top 50 lists like that other guy). This one I find very interesting - it shows football national championship trends by conference as they are projected for the 2024 season...

REALIGNED NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS:
All-Time Winners by Conf.

Since NCs are won by schools, check out the huge consolidation we see of every CFB National Championship winner (by era) below, where just 4 confs now dominate all of history

It's more consolidated than most realize... pic.twitter.com/ctj6HCd3nz
— Tony Altimore (@TJAltimore) June 15, 2023

What do we learn from this chart? Plenty!

1. The current members of the ACC have been winning a surprisingly steady 21% of all national championships (+/- 3%) for the last 100 years or so. Given all of the disrespect for the league, who would've guessed that? The ACC is actually a pretty solid P3 conference around which ESPN can build - if that's their plan.
2. The SEC has steadily increased its appetite for titles over the last century, from 9% prior to the Great Depression to a whopping 69% since 2010. Remember, this includes Texas and Oklahoma in the SEC totals, along with the usual suspects (Alabama, Georgia, etc.).
3. National Championships are a zero-sum game, so for the SEC to win more, someone else must win fewer of them. The conference which has lost ground is not the ACC, but the Big Ten.* The B1G won nearly half (47%) of the titles from1930 to 1959, but since then have dropped to just 8% since 2010.

2022-23 Directors Cup by Conference (RX; HM)

2022-23 Directors Cup by Conference

Director's Cup Points, totals by conference.

CONCENTRATED ON-FIELD SUCCESS:
Director's Cup Points by Conf

Take a look at how concentrated the 2023 DC points have been:

One thing that's especially noteworthy (which I keep saying and nobody listens to) is how strong the ACC continues to be, holding its own against B1G + SEC pic.twitter.com/0WRzaEajAF
— Tony Altimore (@TJAltimore) June 19, 2023
Conf.Points
SEC12,810
B1G10,989
ACC9,497
Pac6,334
XII4,946
Ivy2,837
MWC2,095
AAC1,874
BE1,613
WCC1,224
MAC1,178
SBC1,053
CAA1,028
SKY1,015
USA968

https://www.si.com/college/louisville/football/2023-cfp-sleeper (SI; McGavic)

Ever since Jeff Brohm was brought in to be the next head coach of the Louisville football program, the Cardinals have been generating an insane amount of hype for their upcoming 2023 season. Not only are fans excited for the first year of the Brohm era, but UofL has been slowly building up a fair amount of buzz on a national level, and has even been viewed as a potential sleeper pick to win the ACC.

Well, the folks over at The Sporting News are taking that hype for Louisville next season and pushing it to the next level.

In an effort to try and determine who could be "this year's TCU" after the Horned Frogs went from 5-7 in 2021 to national runner-up in 2022, TSN compiled a list of five sleeper picks for the 2023 College Football Playoff, which will be the final CFP under the current four-team format. Picking one school from each Power Five conference whle also not choosing repeats from their selections last offseason, their pick from the ACC was none other than the Cardinals.

https://theathletic.com/4622601/202...ons-for-the-athletics-acc-football-mailbag-2/ (theathletic.com; Raynor & Mavarro)

Kevin Y.

· 14h 40m ago
Why do you try to fool people into thinking you’re covering the entire ACC? I don’t want the opinions of people that know less about VT football than me. Andy gave actual insight.

SEC Y.
· 14h 24m ago
Kevin Y. I don’t know a lot about Va Tech football but I’m happy to provide my opinion - they stink.

Rich L.
· 13h 42m ago
Kevin Y. the same VT that has never won anything

Tom W.
· 11h 47m ago
Kevin Y., the same thinking could lead to more coverage of BC and UVA. Me, I will take a pass on that.

Brian C.
· 11h 6m ago
Tom W. I’d take more BC coverage if they earned it.

Tom W.
· 8h 49m ago
brian C., exactly. The Hokies have not earned much interest outside the Hokie Nation in years. As a Tech alum, I take no pleasure in writing that.

Ivan S.
· 15h 39m ago
Boston College has one of the easiest schedules in Power 5 football this year. Is there any confidence that Hafley can right the ship after an abysmal 3-9 year last year? I'm a BC football fan and alum and I'd be happy to go 7-5 and compete in a bowl game. Is that in the cards or is the lack of line talent and the loss of Zay Flowers going to prove too much to overcome?

Brian C.
· 14h 28m ago
@Ivan S. I’m a BC fan as well. How do we make Father Leahy care about winning?

Ivan S.
· 14h 23m ago
brian C. Well sadly I'm not sure we'll ever know the answer to that question - best bet now is to wait until he retires (soon hopefully) and hands the reins to Fr. Jack Butler (also a hope)

FSU AD on the Future of the ACC (youtube; podcast; Gramlich & Mac Lain)

FSU AD Michael Alford still very much believes in the ACC.

NC State football opens as three-score favorite vs. UConn (247sports.com; Gribble)

We are officially 73 days away from kickoff for the 2023 NC State football team where the Wolfpack will travel up to East Hartford, Conn. to take on the UConn Huskies. Openings odds have been released and according to Circa Sports, NC State is an 18-point favorite against UConn for week one of the college football season.

The Huskies are a familiar opponent for NC State, as the two faced off against each other last season, where the Wolfpack dominated the contest winning by a final score of 41-10. In that game, former Pack QB Devin Leary threw for over 300 yards and four scores as NC State came into the game as 38.5-point favorites.

Fast forward to the end of the season and after the loss to the Wolfpack, bringing their record to 1-4 at the time, the Huskies ended up winning five of their next six games making them eligible for the postseason for the first time since the 2015 season, appearing in the Myrtle Beach Bowl.

Looking at this year's game, NC State, particularly on the offensive side of the ball will boast a completely different look with Brennan Armstrong likely under center for the Pack to start the year. Robert Anae's air-raid offense will be on full display in what should be a less formidable Huskie defense to start the year.

3 teams with crazy college football recruiting so far in June (saturdayblitz.com; Peterson)

Florida football, Stanford, and Minnesota are all surging in the 2024 college football recruiting rankings thanks to spectacular hauls in June.

If you’re a follower of college football recruiting, surely you’ve taken notice of what Billy Napier and Florida football are doing.

Flat out, the Gators are on fire. They have surged to fifth overall in the 247 Sports team rankings for the 2024 college football recruiting class thanks to a number of recruiting wins over the weekend.

The most surprising was four-star Aaron Chiles. He was viewed as a Michigan lean going into his official visit and instead became Florida football’s fifth top-100 commitment of the 2024 class.

Chiles committed on Saturday and was one of four blue-chip commitments for Florida football on that day alone. Amir Jackson (ATH, 108 overall), Amaris Williams (DL, 186 overall), and Nasir Johnson (DL, 250 overall) also committed.

It was an impressive haul but landing Chiles was particularly impressive. For Billy Napier, this couldn’t have come at a better time.

In all, the Gators have eight commitments in the month of June after Florida landed Michai Boireua and Marcus Mascoll, a three-star defensive lineman and a three-star offensive lineman, respectively, each joined the 2024 class with commitments on Monday.

A strong recruiting class isn’t going to relieve all of the pressure on Napier if Florida football struggles in 2023. However, it could help fans have a little more patience, especially with five-star quarterback DJ Lagaway also coming in 2024.

Of course, a poor season could put all these recruiting wins in jeopardy. But right now, Florida football fans should bask in the glow of some big recruiting victories.

Other

https://dailyorange.com/2023/06/alec-baldwin-to-host-syracuse-international-film-festival/ (DO; Szydiik)

Actor Alec Baldwin will host the 20th annual Syracuse International Film Festival, the organization announced Monday afternoon. Along with hosting, Baldwin will receive the festival’s Sophia Award and conduct a Q&A session with attendees.

The festival will be held on Sept. 30 from 4 to 10 p.m. at the Mohegan Manor in Baldwinsville and will feature a screening of the 1979 film, “Being There,” directed by Hal Ashby.

Baldwin made national news in October 2021 when he accidentally discharged a prop firearm on the set of “Rust.” The gunshots killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounded the film’s director, Joel Souza. In April, the prosecutors who were bringing charges against Baldwin dropped their involuntary manslaughter charges.

Baldwin also has a personal connection to Syracuse. His mother, Carol Baldwin, is from Syracuse and founded the Carol M. Baldwin Breast Cancer Research Fund of CNY. The fund annually grants awards for research at SUNY Upstate Medical University and Upstate University Hospital.

General admission tickets cost $30 and VIP tickets cost $75. Tickets can be purchased online.

QPXSDUAPPBFOTLY6RB5EZXQLKQ.jpg

A file photo of Karen Belcher, executive director of the Food Bank of Central New York, at the organization's distribution center on Interstate Island Road. The organization broke ground this month on a 33,000-square-foot expansion expected to cost more than $2 million. Courtesy Food Bank/Lynn Hy

Food Bank of Central NY expands to handle another 1 million pounds of food (PS; Eisenstadt)

The Food Bank of Central New York delivered 17.9 million pounds of food last year to more than 400 community organizations.

That may sound like a lot, but the organization is expanding to fill an even greater need. The Food Bank of Central New York last week broke ground on a 33,920-square-foot addition at its distribution center and office complex in Van Buren.

Once the expansion is done, the nonprofit organization will be able to store an additional 1 million pounds of food. The new space will also help the food bank process more fresh food, eliminating waste and increasing its customers’ access to fresh fruits, vegetables and other perishables.

“The COVID-19 pandemic highlighted the need to expand our warehousing capacity in order to continue making sure we’re capable of receiving and distributing even more nutritious food out to our friends and neighbors who may not know where their next meal is coming from,” said Karen Belcher, executive director of the Food Bank of Central New York. The Food Bank also will have more space to store personal hygiene products, which it began distributing during the pandemic.

The expansion is being partially funded through a $2 million federal grant, but the Food Bank still needs to raise money to complete the project, which is expected to be done in May.

Last month, the food bank began selling its pasta sauce under its own label to raise money and awareness.

Welcome to National Ice Cream Soda Day!

This is a day dedicated to ice cream sodas, also known as ice cream floats, which are drinks consisting of ice cream in a soft drink, or in flavored syrup and carbonated water. There are innumerable variations of the drink that can be made by changing the flavor of either the ice cream or the soft drink. Which variations are the most popular depend on where in the world you go. Most likely, Robert McCay Green invented the ice cream soda in 1874, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, at the semicentennial for the Franklin Institute. It is believed that Green ran out of ice for the cold drinks he was selling, so he used some ice cream from a nearby vendor, thus creating the new type of drink. By Green's account, the ice cream soda's creation was no accident, but something he worked to create so that it could be used to lure customers away from a bigger, fancier soda fountain, to his own. There are other accounts of how the ice cream soda was invented, but the story of Green is the most prominent. It didn't take long for the ice cream soda to gain in popularity, and it was served at soda fountains across the country.

Back in the day, there was a bar/restaurant near M Street where I’d have an ice cream & beer soda for my lunch dessert.

Those were the days. ;)