Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
thequint%2F2023-07%2Fb51a08d0-4a40-4a1f-8207-dc09ff006359%2FWorld_Emoji_Day_2023.jpg

Welcome to World Emoji Day!

Today is World Emoji Day ?! It is a day to celebrate all emojis and to use and spread the enjoyment of their use to others. July 17 was chosen for the date of the holiday because the ? calendar emoji has that date on it. The calendar has July 17 on it because it was on that date in 2002 that iCal for Mac was announced. World Emoji Day was created in 2014 by Jeremy Burge, the founder of Emojipedia, a site that keeps track of all emojis and their definitions.

SU News

How Important is the Return of LeQuint Allen (orangefizz.net; Gotkin)

The LeQuint Allen suspension and saga is now over. After the sophomore runningback sued the university, a settlement was reached and Allen is eligible to play this season. He won’t be able to practice until mid-august, meaning Allen will miss the first few weeks of practice. However, the Orange can take their time with Colgate and Western Michigan as the first two opponents on the schedule.

There were a multitude of questions of who would be able to replace Allen. Dino Babers had a number of running backs on the roster but no one proven. Last year, Allen averaged 6.6 yards per carry and a touchdown on 41 attempts. In the air, Allen made 17 receptions for 117 yards.

A strong running room has been the key to success under Dino Babers. The one year the Orange had under 100 yards per game, 2020, Syracuse went just 1-10. The best offensive season overall under Babers was 2018, when SU averaged over 40 points a game. The team ran for over 200 yards per game.

With only one proven receiver on the roster, Allen is even more important to the success of the Syracuse offense. Without a threat to run, any defense would be able to double cover Oronde Gadsden every play and not have to stack the box. Garrett Shrader isn’t the best passer in the world and that would make things much harder for the third-year starter. Allens threat means that the opposition will have to try and stop the run first. That opens up the offense to become much more dangerous in the play action game, where the Orange can be most dangerous.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/juelz-russell-reacts-to-syracuse-pwo-offer (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2024 Rochester (NY) UPrep athlete Juelz Russell is one of the most intriguing prospects in Western New York. He has blazing speed (reports a 4.49 40-time, ran a 10.83 in the 100 meter as a track star. Syracuse extended a preferred walk-on (PWO) offer Saturday.

"So basically I went to the Syracuse 7v7, showed out, made plays and showed what I'm capable of," Russell said. "I went to the 7v7 tournament with my high school and played pretty well. Coach Lynch had said they were impressed with me to my head coach and they would be in touch once they got my transcript and stuff. Coach Lynch called me [Saturday] morning and offered me. I was very excited and happy to receive the offer."

An offer, even as a preferred walk-on, from Syracuse meant a lot to the speedster who plays both wide receiver and defensive back in high school. He is being recruited as a wide receiver by the Orange.

"It's the school in New York everyone grows up watching," Russell said. "So definitely very interested in them football wise and for school."

Russell is in no rush to make a decision, but says he may visit the University of New Hampshire in the near future. UNH has been recruiting Russell for quite some time. He currently holds an offer from Mercyhurst. He also says he plans to visit during the season this fall as he did last fall.

2026 ATH Kyshawn Robinson discusses Syracuse football offer (247sports.co; Finneral)

Class of 2026 athlete Kyshawn Robinson was offered by Syracuse football in May. Robinson was both pleased and motivated when he received the offer from the Orange.

“I think they are a great program and being offered caught me off guard, but I was excited and eager to work harder,” Robinson said.

Robinson is a rising sophomore at Westinghouse High School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He has enjoyed interacting with the Syracuse coaching staff about a variety of topics.

“They care about the choices I make outside of football,” Robinson said. “That means a lot when looking into schools.”

The five-foot-11, 165-pound athlete is listed as both a running back and cornerback. He said Syracuse is recruiting him as a defensive back. Robinson is also drawn to Syracuse based on its proximity to his hometown.

You don’t need a judge to say Syracuse football’s LeQuint Allen got a raw deal (Editorial Board Opinion) (PS; $; Editorial Board)

Syracuse University and sophomore running back LeQuint Allen wisely backed away from a courtroom confrontation over Allen’s two-semester suspension for punching a fellow student during a chaotic on-campus party.

Allen dropped a lawsuit seeking to overturn the suspension after reaching a settlement with the university.

Without knowing the details of the confidential deal, the result feels right.

Allen gets to keep the scholarship that allows him to attend SU and he can play football this fall. The university gets to walk back a punishment that seemed overly harsh and avoids having to publicly defend troubling inconsistencies in how it dispenses justice to students who break its rules.

There’s no question Allen, 18, violated the university’s Code of Conduct when he punched a 23-year-old student at a Dec. 11, 2022, party at an on-campus apartment complex. He admitted to throwing the punch but said he did so only after being punched in the face — twice — by the other student. The altercation came after a confusing series of incidents involving other members of the football team that night. The other student was not charged or disciplined.

Clemson Football: Oppo Research – Syracuse Orange (rubbingtherock.com; Chancey)

Clemson Football will hit the road to New York in Week 5 to play the Syracuse Orange in the JMA Wireless Dome. The game is September 30th. Time and network has not been announced.

Clemson leads the all-time series 9-2 over the Orange. The Tigers currently hold a five-game win streak over Syracuse, most recently defeating them 27-21 in Death Valley. Quarterback Cade Klubnik came into that game in relief of DJ Uiagalelei to lead the Tigers in a comeback victory.

Head coach Dino Babers is back for his eighth season in Syracuse, which is a feat unto itself. OC Robert Anae has left for NC State, but his right-hand man Jason Beck takes over. Beck has Garrett Schrader returning behind center, but there will be turnover everywhere else on the offense. Sean Tucker, Oronde Gadsden and three starting linemen have departed.

On defense, 73 years young Rocky Long takes over as coordinator. On the field, the story is the same: names like Garrett Williams, Duce Chestnut and Mikel Jones have moved on. There is enough experience on defense returning that they should hold their own, but there is very little depth.

Syracuse football 2023 defensive line: No longer a question mark, SU's front has chance to shine. Caleb Okechukwu and Kevon Darton return as anchors to the Syracuse defensive line.

ACC News

Here's our ranking of opposing ACC quarterbacks that Clemson football will face in 2023 (greenvilleoneline.com; Keepfer)

for gbo

Ten of 14 ACC football programs will return either their starting quarterback from last season or a quarterback who started at another league school in 2022.

Clemson will face six of them over the course of its 2023 schedule.

That sextet includes last year’s first- and second-team All-ACC quarterbacks and players who amassed a cumulative 17,192 passing yards and 116 touchdowns last season. All are capable of posing stiff challenges for second-year defensive coordinator Wes Goodwin as he attempts to add some saltiness to a unit that ranked an uncharacteristic 27th nationally in total defense in 2022.

Here are the eight ACC quarterbacks Clemson will face this season, ranked from least to most challenging:

8. Haynes King, Georgia Tech

Jeff Sims and Taisun Phomachanh both transferred, leaving this year’s quarterback battle to King, Zach Pyron and Zach Gibson. The belief here is that King will get the nod. A former starter at Texas A&M, King has some mettle, as he displayed by throwing for 253 yards and two touchdowns in a 24-20 loss at Alabama last season.

7. Mitch Griffis, Wake Forest

Griffis is no Sam Hartman – at least not yet – but has flashed an equally accurate touch and has the advantage of perhaps the ACC’s best stable of wide receivers at his disposal. Griffis completed 19-of-29 passes for 319 yards and two touchdowns in the spring game.

6. Tyler Van Dyke, Miami

Van Dyke will be operating under his third offensive coordinator in as many years and could flourish under the air raid offense employed by OC Shannon Dawson. Van Dyke thrived in a similar offense in 2021, when he was named ACC Rookie of the Year after passing for 2,931 yards and 21 touchdowns.

5. Brennan Armstrong, NC State

Much like Van Dyke, Armstrong will be seeking a career rebirth after slipping a year ago at Virginia. Being reunited with former Virginia OC Robert Anae, who was hired by the Wolfpack in December, should help. Armstrong, a grad transfer, enters the season with more than 9,000 career passing yards.

4. Garrett Shrader, Syracuse

Shrader has found a comfort zone at Syracuse after beginning his career at Mississippi State. He has flashed his dual-threat capabilities in close defeats against the Tigers the past couple of seasons, passing for 358 yards and rushing for 77 while accounting for four touchdowns.

3. Riley Leonard, Duke

Clemson will face Leonard in the season opener. Perhaps the most underrated quarterback in the ACC, Leonard quietly passed for 2,967 yards and 20 touchdowns while rushing for 699 yards and 13 more scores last season – his first year as the Blue Devils’ starter.

2. Drake Maye, North Carolina

The reigning ACC Player of the Year, who will play in Death Valley on Nov. 18 in Clemson’s final ACC game of the regular season, passed for 38 touchdowns and more than 4,300 yards last season, but found the sledding a bit more challenging in the ACC Championship Game. Clemson kept the pressure on Maye, sacking him four times and holding him without a touchdown pass for just the second time all season.

https://www.si.com/college/clemson/...f-full-schedule-clemson-slotted-for-july-27th (SI; Goeckel)

Season predictions are dropping, preview magazines are hitting the shelves, and conference media days are happening all over the country. That means just one thing: college football is right around the corner.

The ACC will host its annual media days event, the ACC Football Kickoff, in Charlotte from July 25th - July 27th. This marks the first time in the history of the event we'll get a full three days of access to the various teams of the conference. In years past, each division would get a day, but with the elimination of divisions, we'll see teams separated into the three-day slate.

Clemson took down North Carolina to win the 2022 ACC Championship. (Clemson Athletics)
Florida State and Clemson will be the biggest storylines to watch in terms of 2023 but watch out for day one. ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips is scheduled to speak and will be available for questions. After another wild offseason, Phillips will likely face some intense inquiries into conference expansion and the conference's grant of rights deal with ESPN.

"ACC Football Kickoff is one of the league’s signature events, and we look forward to this year’s event and its expanded coverage," said ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips, Ph.D. "This is another terrific opportunity to highlight our tremendous ACC football student-athletes, head coaches and programs and we look forward to all of them coming together. We appreciate ACC Network broadcasting live during all three days and the outstanding media dedicated to covering our league."

Brownlow's Twitter Mailbag: ACC schools as CW characters, Sun Belt vs. PAC-12 and more :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsportsfan.com; Brownlow)

Another week, another set of offseason storylines to get us through the long, hard summer of no football. Thankfully, we found out this week that the ACC is going to get some games on the CW. That meant that several of you wanted me to assign CW characters to ACC schools, and I did my very best. We'll also get into which ACC quarterback in the NFL is set to have the best season and the Sun Belt vs. the PAC-12.

So let's get into it!

This list actually leaves out quite a few ACC starting quarterbacks, namely Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson and Daniel Jones. But big years for all of them (and the best year among them) are kind of relative. For Lamar Jackson, it's kind of MVP or bust. But I am an unabashed defender and fan of Jackson and I do think he'll have the best season of all of those quarterbacks. Close behind him, though? I feel good about what Trevor Lawrence can do. He's one of the most special quarterbacks I ever watched play in college and the Jaguars have some fun pieces.
Wilson would be thrilled with a solid, decent season at this point. I think Kenny Pickett just wants to see continued growth, while if Sam Howell could have a starting-QB caliber season, that would be huge for him at this point in his career whether he stays in Washington or not. And that has traditionally been kind of a cursed position there. Daniel Jones put up great fantasy numbers a year ago but obviously needs to keep cutting down on his turnovers and get the Giants to the playoffs. So their goals aren't all the same necessarily. But I like Lawrence to take the leap and Jackson to continue being great. As amazing as Lawrence was to watch in college, Jackson remains the most special player I've ever watched live while working.

ACC RSNs - Fewer Games Now (RX; HM)

ACC RSNs - Fewer Games Now

One more observation about the RSN package on The CW...

Previously, the ACC RSN package included 17 football games and around 40 men's basketball games, and 25 women's basketball games [from MattSarzSports].

Yesterday, it was announced that The CW will broadcast 13 football games and 28 men's basketball games and 9 women's basketball games [LINK]. That's 4 less football games (only one game per week), 12 fewer men's and 16 less women's basketball games!

What will the ACC/ESPN/Raycom do with those remaining games? I guess we'll find out...

List of CW Affiliates 2023 (RX; HM)

List of CW Affiliates 2023

More info on how to watch the ACC on The CW

Posted by GTFletch on CSNBBS: List of The CW affiliates (by U.S. state)

Alabama

Bessemer – WDBB 17 (satellite of WTTO)
Dothan – WRGX-LD2 23.2 / WTVY-DT3 4.3 (simulcast of WRGX-LD2)CW+, 1
Gulf Shores (Mobile) – WFNA 55
Homewood (Birmingham) – WTTO 21 (ATSC 3.0 TV Station) / WIAT (ATSC 1.0 Simulcast)
Huntsville – WHDF 15
Montgomery – WBMM 22CW+, 1

Alaska

Anchorage – KYUR-DT2 13.2CW+, 1
Fairbanks – KATN-DT3 2.3CW+, 1
Juneau – KJUD-DT2 8.2CW+, 1

Arizona

Phoenix – KASW 61 (ATSC 3.0 TV Station) / KNXV-TV (ATSC 1.0 Simulcast)
Tucson – KWBA-TV 58

Arkansas

Fayetteville – KHOG-DT2 29.2 (satellite of KHBS)CW+, 1
Fort Smith – KHBS-DT2 40.2CW+, 1
Jonesboro – KAIT-DT3 8.3CW+, 1
Little Rock – KASN 38

California

Bakersfield – KGET-DT2 17.2CW+, 1, 4
Chico – KHSL-DT2 12.2CW+, 1
El Centro (Yuma, Arizona) – KECY-DT3 9.3CW+, 1
Eureka – KECA-LD 29.1
Los Angeles – KTLA 5
Monterey – KCBA 35CW+
Palm Springs – KCWQ-LD 2 / KESQ-DT3 2.3 (simulcast of KCWQ-LP)CW+, 1
Sacramento – KMAX-TV 31
San Diego – KFMB-DT2 8.2
San Francisco – KBCW 44
Sanger (Fresno) – KFRE-TV 59 (ATSC 3.0 TV Station) / KGPE (ATSC 1.0 Simulcast)
San Luis Obispo (Santa Barbara) – KSBY-DT2 6.2CW+, 1

Colorado

Colorado Springs – KXTU-LD 57
Denver – KWGN-TV 2 (ATSC 3.0 TV Station) / KDVR (ATSC 1.0 Simulcast)
Grand Junction – KJCT-LD2 8.21

Connecticut

Waterbury (Hartford) – WCCT-TV 20 (ATSC 3.0 TV Station) / WTIC-TV (ATSC 1.0 Simulcast)

Delaware

None; served by WPSG Philadelphia and WMDT-DT2 Salisbury, Maryland

District of Columbia

Washington, D.C. – WDCW 507

Florida

Clermont (Orlando) – WKCF 18
Gainesville – WCJB-DT2 20.2CW+, 1
Jacksonville – WCWJ 17
Miami – WSFL-TV 39
Naples (Fort Myers) – WXCW 46
Panama City – WJHG-DT2 7.21
St. Petersburg (Tampa) – WTOG 44
Tallahassee – WTLF 24CW+
West Palm Beach – WTVX 34

Georgia

Albany – WGCW-LD 36
Atlanta – WUPA 69
Augusta – WAGT-CD2 26.2CW+, 1
Bainbridge – WTLH-DT2 49.2CW+, 1 (simulcast of WTLF/Tallahassee, Florida)
Savannah – WSAV-DT2 3.2
Columbus – WLTZ-DT2 38.21
Macon – WMAZ-DT2 13.2CW+, 1, 4

Hawaii

Hilo – KHAW-DT2 11.2 (satellite of KHON-DT2)CW+, 1
Honolulu – KHON-DT2 2.2CW+, 1
Wailuku – KAII-DT2 7.2 (satellite of KHON-DT2)CW+, 1

Idaho

Boise – KYUU-LD 35 / KBOI-DT2 2.2CW+, 1
Idaho Falls – KIFI-DT3 8.3CW+, 1
Twin Falls – KMVT-DT2 11.2CW+, 1

Illinois

Chicago – WCIU-TV 26
Decatur (Springfield) – WBUI 23
Peoria – WEEK-DT3 25.3CW+, 1
Rockford – WREX-DT2 13.2CW+, 1
Quincy – WGEM-DT2 10.2CW+, 1

Indiana

Evansville – WTVW 7
Fort Wayne – WISE-TV 33CW+, 4
Indianapolis – WISH-TV 8[n1 1][4]
Lafayette – WLFI-DT2 18.2CW+, 1
South Bend – WCWW-LD 25
Terre Haute – WTHI-TV 10.4

Iowa

Ames (Des Moines) – KCWI-TV 23
Burlington (Davenport/Quad Cities) – KGCW 26
Ottumwa – KYOU-DT4CW+, 1
Sioux City – KTIV-DT2 4.2CW+, 1
Waterloo (Cedar Rapids) – KCRG-DT3 9.3

Kansas

Topeka – KTKA-DT3 49.3CW+, 1
Wichita – KSCW-DT 33 (ATSC 3.0 TV Station) / KWCH-DT (ATSC 1.0 Simulcast)

Kentucky

Bowling Green – WBKO-DT2 13.2CW+, 1
Lexington – WKYT-DT2 27.21
Louisville – WBKI 58 (ATSC 3.0 TV Station) / WAVE (ATSC 1.0 Simulcast)
Paducah – WQWQ-LP 9

Louisiana

Alexandria – KALB-DT3 5.3
Baton Rouge – WBRL-CD 21 / WGMB-DT2 44.2 (simulcast of WBRL-CD)
Lafayette – KATC-DT2 3.2CW+, 1
Lake Charles – KPLC-DT2 7.2CW+
Monroe – KNOE-DT3 8.3 / KCWL-LD 40CW+, 1
New Orleans – WNOL-TV 38
Shreveport – KPXJ 21 (ATSC 3.0 TV Station) / KTBS-TV (ATSC 1.0 Simulcast)

Maine

Bangor – WABI-DT2 5.2CW+, 1
Portland – WPXT 51
Presque Isle – WAGM-DT3 8.3 CW+, 1

Maryland

Baltimore – WNUV 54 (ATSC 3.0 TV Station) / WMPT and WMPB (ATSC 1.0 Simulcast)
Salisbury – WMDT-DT2 47.2CW+, 1

Massachusetts

Boston – WLVI 56
Springfield – WWLP-DT2 / WFXQ-CD2 22.2CW+, 1, 4

Michigan

Alpena – "WBAE"CW+, 2, 3
Bay City (Flint) – WBSF 46 (ATSC 3.0 TV Station) / WEYI-TV (ATSC 1.0 Simulcast)
Cadillac (Traverse City) – WFQX-DT2 32.2CW+, 1
Calumet (Marquette) – WBKP 5
Detroit – WKBD-TV 50
Kalamazoo (Grand Rapids) – WWMT-DT2 3.21
Lansing – WLAJ-DT2 53.2CW+, 1, 3

Minnesota

Duluth – KDLH 3CW+
Mankato – KMNF-LD2 7.2CW+, 1
Minneapolis – WUCW 23
Rochester – KTTC-DT2 10.2CW+, 1

Mississippi

Columbus (Tupelo) – WCBI-DT3 4.3CW+, 1
Greenwood – "WBWD"CW+, 2, 3
Gulfport (Biloxi) – WXXV-DT3 25.3CW+, 1
Hattiesburg – WHLT-DT2 22.21
Jackson – WJTV-DT2 12.21
Meridian – WTOK-DT3 11.3CW+, 1

Missouri

Cape Girardeau – KFVS-DT2 12.2 (simulcast of WQTV-LP)
Columbia – KOMU-DT3 8.3CW+, 1
Kansas City – KCWE 294
Joplin – KFJX-DT2 14.2CW+, 1
Saint Joseph – KNPG-LD2 21.2CW+, 4, 8
St. Louis – KPLR-TV 11 (ATSC 3.0 TV Station) / KTVI (ATSC 1.0 Simulcast)
Springfield – KSPR-LD2 33.2 / KYTV-DT2 33.21

Montana

Billings – KTVQ-DT2 2.2CW+, 1
Butte – KXLF-DT2 4.2CW+, 1
Great Falls – KRTV-DT2 3.2CW+, 1
Helena – KTVH-DT2 12.2CW+, 3
Missoula – KPAX-DT2 8.2CW+, 1

Nebraska

Lincoln – Hastings – Kearney – KCWH-LD 18.1CW+ / KNHL-DT3 5.3CW+, 1
North Platte – KIIT-CD2 11.2CW+, 1
Omaha – KPTM-DT3 42.3

Nevada

Las Vegas – KVCW 33 (ATSC 3.0 TV Station) / KSNV (ATSC 1.0 Simulcast)
Reno – KOLO-DT3 8.3CW+, 1, 4

New Hampshire

none (served by WLVI/Boston, Massachusetts; WNNE/Montpelier, Vermont; WPXT/Portland, Maine; and WWLP-DT2/Springfield, Massachusetts)

New Jersey

none (served by WPIX/New York City and WPSG/Philadelphia)

New Mexico

Roswell – KRWB-TV 21 (satellite of KWBQ)
Santa Fe (Albuquerque) – KWBQ 19

New York

Binghamton – WBNG-DT2 12.2CW+, 3
Buffalo – WNLO 23
Elmira – WENY-DT3 36.3CW+, 1
New York City – WPIX 11
Rochester – WHAM-DT2 13.2CW+, 1
Schenectady (Albany) – WCWN 45 (ATSC 3.0 TV Station) / WTEN (ATSC 1.0 Simulcast)
Syracuse – WSTM-DT2 3.2CW+
Utica – WKTV-DT3 2.3CW+, 1
Watertown – WWTI-DT2 50.2CW+, 1

How to Watch The CW OTA (RX; HM)

How to Watch The CW OTA

I recognize that some of you only know why cable channel something is on, so I thought I'd help you out. Here's a partial list of the TV stations in the ACC footprint (and a few outside) that carry The CW over-the-air broadcasts, from a Google search (sources across the web):

Google, from sources across the web:
StationNear what city
WDCWWashington, DC
WCCBCharlotte, NC
WPCWPittsburgh, PA
WCIUChicago, IL
WFNAPensacola, FL
WPIXNew York, NY
WNLOBuffalo, NY
WWCWLynchburg, VA
WCCTHartford, CT
Notable cities outside the footprint:
WDAFDallas, TX
KWGNDenver, CO
WKBDDetroit, MI
KOCBOklahoma City, OK
WTTOBirmingham, AL

I'm sure we'll get more information as the season draws closer, but for now this will give you a basic idea about the coverage for that one RSN football game each week...

The CW has added the 50 Raycom-produced ACC basketball and football games (awfulannouncing.com; Lucia)

In a surprising twist, the 50 Raycom-produced ACC basketball and football games dropped by Diamond Sports have landed with The CW.

Per a release on Thursday, The CW’s deal for the games runs through the 2026-27 season and includes 13 football games, 28 men’s basketball games, and nine women’s basketball games.

During Diamond’s bankruptcy filing in March, Raycom indicated it wanted to move on from airing the games on the Bally Sports RSNs. Diamond was open to that and officially rejected the contract in June. It seemed like the games would be a decent fit with the rest of the ACC’s live rights on ESPN, but The CW stepped in.

Raycom will still produce all of the games.

Here are a handful of quotes from executives at The CW, the ACC, and Raycom.

“We are committed to making The CW a destination for live, appointment-viewing sporting events,” said Dennis Miller, President, The CW Network. “The ACC is home to some of the most decorated college football and basketball teams in the country and we look forward to welcoming these avid sports fans to the network as we continue to broaden our audience.”
“We are thrilled to be adding The CW to our weekly television lineup for ACC football and basketball games,” said ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips, Ph.D. “The CW’s national distribution will directly benefit our student-athletes, teams, alumni and fans. We appreciate ESPN and Raycom working together and look forward to the partnership with The CW.”
“The CW is going to be a terrific partner for the legendary ACC,” said Hunter Nickell, CEO of Raycom Sports. “The longest-running television relationship in college sports belongs to the ACC and Raycom Sports. Now The CW brings national broadcast network coverage to the great fans of these 15 famous schools.”

The football schedule begins with Pitt hosting Cincinnati on September 9 and continues each Saturday this fall. The basketball games will take place in December, January, and February, with men’s basketball doubleheaders airing each Saturday afternoon and women’s basketball airing on Sunday afternoons.
Back in May, Nexstar (The CW’s parent company) CEO Perry Sook said that the company had talked to Power 5 college conferences about live sports rights. At the time, we assumed Sook was talking about the Pac-12 because we had no idea that Diamond and Raycom were in the process of splitting up. In hindsight, the move for a smaller package of games from the ACC is far more sensible.

Rx: ACC Negotiating Position 2026 (RX; HM)

Rx: ACC Negotiating Position 2026

Let's assume for a moment that the ACC has a long-term future as either the host of the 3rd P3 or as one of the P4 (or, possibly, even P5). How can they compete?

People on the internet are quick to tell you that the ACC is locked into a long-term contract with ESPN for all media rights with nothing left to sell and no real hope to improve their financial position. That sounds... hopeless... but is it true? What can the ACC negotiate with at the 2026 look-in?

What can the ACC do to create more value?

IF ESPN is willing to pay, there's plenty the league can still do! If I were the ACC Commissioner, here's what I'd propose to ESPN at the next look-in:
1. No more ACC-vs-FCS games (state laws permitting). Replaces nearly-worthless FCS games with semi-valuable G5 games. (est. +$12M)
2. Minimum 2 ACC-vs-P5 non-conference games (counting Notre Dame and the new Big XII teams). Increases the total number of P5 games under ACC control from 21 to 28 (i.e. 7 more; est +$28M/2, or about +$14M).

https://collegefootballnews.com/cfn...als-2023-acc-predictions-odds-consensus-picks (CFN, Fiutak)

Below are the win totals and lines set for every ACC team going into the 2023 season.

First, we take the win totals from each team's preview - where the bar should be set - and then list the ACC win totals from BetMGM, DraftKings, and FanDuel.

After that is last year's win total, then our 2023 win total prediction - click on the Schedule, Game Predictions for the breakdown for each team - and then, finally, the 2023 Consensus Win Total taking our projection and the currently listed total from the three betting houses.

Clemson
2023 Team Preview
Schedule, Game Predictions
CFN (Set Win Total At): 10
BetMGM: 9.5
DraftKings: 10
FanDuel: 9.5
2022 Regular Season Win Total: 10
2023 CFN Win Total Prediction: 10
2023 Consensus Win Total: 9.75

Florida State
2023 Team Preview
CFN (Set Win Total At): 9
BetMGM: 9.5
DraftKings: 10
FanDuel: 9.5
2022 Regular Season Win Total: 9
2023 CFN Win Total Prediction: 9
2023 Consensus Win Total: 9.50

North Carolina
2023 Team Preview
CFN (Set Win Total At): 7.5
BetMGM: 8.5
DraftKings: 8.5
FanDuel: 8.5
2022 Regular Season Win Total: 8
2023 CFN Win Total Prediction: 8
2023 Consensus Win Total: 8.25

Louisville
2023 Team Preview
CFN (Set Win Total At): 6.5
BetMGM: 7.5
DraftKings: 8
FanDuel: 8.5
2022 Regular Season Win Total: 7
2023 CFN Win Total Prediction: 6
2023 Consensus Win Total: 7.63

Miami
2023 Team Preview
BetMGM: 7.5
DraftKings: 7.5
FanDuel: 7.5
2022 Regular Season Win Total: 5
2023 Consensus Win Total: 7.50

Pitt
2023 Team Preview
BetMGM: 6.5
DraftKings: 7
FanDuel: 6.5
2023 Consensus Win Total: 6.88

NC State
2023 Team Preview
CFN (Set Win Total At): 8
DraftKings: 6.5
2023 Consensus Win Total: 6.88

Wake Forest
2023 Team Preview
CFN (Set Win Total At): 6.5
DraftKings: 6
2023 Consensus Win Total: 6.38

Duke
2023 Team Preview
CFN (Set Win Total At): 5.5

2023 Consensus Win Total: 6.25

Syracuse
2023 Team Preview
2023 CFN Win Total Prediction: 5
2023 Consensus Win Total: 6.25

Boston College
2023 Team Preview
CFN (Set Win Total At): 6
BetMGM: 5.5
DraftKings: 5.5
FanDuel: 5.5
2022 Regular Season Win Total: 3
2023 Consensus Win Total: 5.63

Georgia Tech
2023 Team Preview
BetMGM: 4.5
DraftKings: 4.5
FanDuel: 4.5
2022 Regular Season Win Total: 5
2023 CFN Win Total Prediction: 5
2023 Consensus Win Total: 4.75

15 years without a major bowl win (2007-22) (RX: HM)

15 years without a major bowl win (2007-22)

Every P5 team without a BCS, CFP, or New Year's Six Bowl winsince 2007 (last 15 years):

Which Power 5 school surprises you the most? ⬇️ pic.twitter.com/egxnb1dnAW
— FOX College Football (@CFBONFOX) July 14, 2023
Here's a table of those same teams broken down by conference:
ACCBoston College
Duke
Miami
N. Carolina
NC State
Pitt
Syracuse
Virginia
Wake
INDNotre Dame
B1GIllinois
Indiana
Maryland
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Purdue
Rutgers
XIIKansas St
Texas Tech
Pac
Arizona
Arizona St
Cal
Colorado
Oregon St
UCLA
Washington
Washington St
SECArkansas
Kentucky
Miss. State
Mizzou
S. Carolina
Vanderbilt

What would happen if Notre Dame and the ACC got divorced? (onefootdown.com; JB)

Conference Realignment Blues

The general feeling among college football fans is that there’s going to be this giant, seismic shift in the conference landscape and the sport/culture as we know it will never be the same. Only we don’t know when it will happen or how Notre Dame will fit into the new world order. Probably the most certain outcome, though, is that a solid 50% of the fan base will hate every aspect of it and swear that it’ll be the end of all football (murmur, murmur, tradition). To be honest, given all of the shenanigans that have hit the sport over the last couple years there’s a real likelihood that I’ll be with the surly bunch shaking our fists from the porch.

But we’ve got very little control over it all from our vantage points so let’s buckle up and try to make the ride somewhat enjoyable. There are already a lot of thoughts and theories floating around in the Notre Dame fandom but one is probably the closest to consensus: we want off the apparently doomed ACC football ship.

ND-ACC History

Full transparency, the pseudo relationship between Notre Dame football and the ACC has been pretty good to me. The two organizations announced their scheduling agreement in the fall of 2012 and played their first game under the partnership in the fall of 2014. I graduated in 2013, went straight from South Bend out to Washington D.C. and split the rest of my thirties between Chicago and the DMV.

As a young alum and ND football fan, I couldn’t have asked for a better set up. The ACC arrangement all but guaranteed that every season I’d be able to see Irish football live without breaking my very broke 20-something year old budget (if you could even call it that). When living in Chicago, it was just a quick hop over via the South Shore. During the D.C. years it was either a short flight or road trip with many of the fellow East Coast Domers. The Kizer-Fuller touchdown pass that put Notre Dame up over UVA in 2014 will always be legendary for me. Not just because the Irish pulled out the victory (granted the game shouldn’t have come down to 12 seconds) but more so because very few things will beat seeing the truly defeated looks on the faces of the Cavalier student section as they realized their Cinderella moment and field storming dreams were not meant to be.

Main Pain Points

But now that I’ve moved down to Texas, I’m starting to realize why so many ND fans aren’t too keen on the scheduling agreement. On the one hand, the Irish’s dominance over ACC opponents leaves us wondering if we should be in search of more fertile football grounds. And on the other hand, there’s the looming sense of concern that the conference will ultimately implode not just because of the “performance issues” but because the TV rights winds are not blowing in its favor. The recent CW deal may present a stronger future for the conference but that network isn’t exactly known as a go-to destination for college football.

Divorce Scenario & Context

Who knows how things will turn out but for now let’s consider a world in which for whatever reason the ACC-ND football marriage ends before the 2036 obligation. In this scenario Notre Dame would maintain some semblance of its Independent status and scheduling flexibility. With close to 10 seasons of playing ACC opponents on a regular basis who would Irish fans like to continue playing?

ACC Membership

Some context. The ACC is currently made up of 14 schools for football. The core schools hailing from the Virginias and Carolinas founded the conference between 1953-1954 and includes Clemson, Duke, North Carolina, NC State, Wake Forest and Virginia. Over time the conference broadened its geographic reach, still sticking mostly to the “Atlantic Coast.” During its second wave of expansion, between 1983 and 1992, the conference added two teams, Georgia Tech and Florida State. The 2004-2005 wave of expansion brought in Miami (FL), Virginia Tech and Boston College. The most recent 2013-2014 expansion wave brought Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville into the mix.

Other

3VAQWMLZQNCYBJTX7G4VB6M6AE.jpg

ShoppingTown mall in DeWitt closed in 2020. Onondaga County acquired the property later that year and has plans to sell it to a local development group that wants to turn it into a $400 million mixed-use facility. (Rick Moriarty | rmoriarty@syracuse.com)

ShoppingTown mall update: $400 million redevelopment could take a step forward soon (PS; $; Moriarty)

ShoppingTown joined the nation’s long list of dead malls in 2020. Its windows and doors are boarded up. Weeds grow tall around much of the building and its parking lots.

But later this summer, a two-year-old plan to transform ShoppingTown into a $400 million residential, entertainment, retail and commercial mega-complex could take an important step forward.

Ryan Benz, a principal in the local development group behind the project, said a required environmental impact report will be completed this month.

If the Onondaga County Industrial Development Agency accepts the report, Benz said his team will ask the agency in August to move forward with an eminent domain action against two former department stores at the mall.

The question of ownership of the former Sears and Macy’s stores has proven to be a barricade. In December, the industrial development agency said it would consider using its eminent domain powers to take ownership of the two stores and sell them, along with the rest of the mall, to Benz’s group.

In July 2021, county officials and OHB Redev -- a joint venture of Benz’s Redev CNY and Hueber-Breuer Construction, Dalpos Architects and Housing Visions -- announced plans to turn the empty mall into a mixed-use center.

The phased redevelopment feature 500 new residences, including multiple forms of housing such as market-rate apartments, townhomes, condos and affordable senior housing.

Attachments

• 1689594409031.jpeg
    1689594409031.jpeg
    10.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited: