Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
600600p6982EDNmainworld-lung-cancer-day.jpg

Welcome to World Lung Cancer Day!

World Lung Cancer Day is observed on August 1 each year. In a move to beat back occurrences of lung cancer, people around the world observe this very special day. The mission for this day is simple — raise as much awareness of lung cancer as you can, while encouraging people to screen themselves for this disease. As for why this day is so important… according to the World Health Organization, this cancer is so prevalent in the world that yearly, more people die from lung cancer than from colon, breast, and liver cancers combined. We’re not sure who the organizers of this day are, but we are certain they aimed to encourage everyone towards better outcomes and recovery from this disease.

SU News

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/football/five-things-to-watch-syracuse-football-starts-2023-training-camp?utm_source=flipboard&utm_content=FanNation/magazine/ALL+SYRACUSE (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football is set to kickoff training camp this week and there are some interesting things to watch leading up to the start of the 2023 season.

1. Backup Quarterback Battle

Garrett Shrader is the starter, but the backup spot is up in the air. In each of the last several seasons, the backup quarterback has had to play meaningful snaps. Therefore, whoever wins that job could end up having an impact on the season. The primary candidates are Carlos Del Rio-Wilson and Braden Davis. Del Rio-Wilson transferred in during the 2022 offseason from Florida while Davis came from South Carolina this past offseason. Both are talented, former four star recruits. Del Rio-Wilson has the advantage having been in the program for a year and with a start under his belt. But that position is not definitively secure. With a strong camp, Davis has a chance to pass Del Rio-Wilson. Either way, Syracuse has three former SEC quarterbacks in its QB room and the battle for the backup spot will be an intriguing one to watch.

2. Offensive Line Battles

Both tackle positions and the center position are up for grabs as last year's starters have exhausted their eligibility or turned pro. Josh Ilaoa and J'Onre Reed will battle for the center spot. The tackle positions have interesting options including transfer Joe More, transfer David Wohlabaugh, Enrique Cruz, Joe Cruz and others. Who earns those spots will be interesting to watch. Do returning players who have been on the two-deep such as Ilaoa and Cruz earn spots? Or do incoming transfers/junior college prospects beat them out?

3. Health

Injuries have been an unfortunate storyline in each of the last handful of Syracuse football seasons. The last thing you want is for that to rear its ugly head before a game is even played. Watch the health of the team throughout camp in the hopes that the Orange is whole for the start of the season.

4. Who Emerges in the Secondary

There is turnover in the secondary, with starters Duce Chestnut, Ja'Had Carter and Garrett Williams gone to transfer or the NFL. Syracuse also brought in several transfers at both corner and safety including Jaeden Gould, Jalil Martin, Jayden Bellamy and junior college prospects. They will be battling with returning players such as Isaiah Johnson, Jeremiah Wilson, Jason Simmons, Bralyn Oliver and others for playing time. Still, those positions, especially at safety, are not secure. How it all mixes together with new faces will be something to monitor.

Why Dino Babers says he's the right man for the job in 2023 (cnycentral.com; Sladek)

Entering his 8th season as head coach of the Syracuse University football program, Dino Babers can now say he's lived in central New York for longer than any other one place in his life.

From growing up an Army brat, to making a full-time career coaching football, Babers knows a thing or two about moving towns. But Syracuse, "feels like home."

Dino Babers enters his 8th season as head coach of the Syracuse football team.

On Monday, CNY Central sat down with Babers to talk about the upcoming season and reflect on his first 7 years leading the Orange. Since taking over in 2016, Syracuse holds an overall record of 36-49, with periods of high's and low's inside the Loud House. The 2018 team finished 10-3 with an electrifying win over West Virginia in the Camping World Bowl. In 2020, Covid-19 and injuries plagued an SU team that finished 1-10.

After a disappointing 5-7 season in 2021, a growing number of SU fans began to support a "Bowl Game or Bust" expectation for Babers in 2022.

He'd deliver.

Yet 2022 had the highest of high's and the lowest of low's all wedged together. The Orange started off 6-0 and reached as high as No. 14 in the Polls, pumping life into the SU fanbase.

Oklahoma Sooners pick up prediction for 2024 3-star athlete Andy Bass (usatoday; Williams)

The Oklahoma Sooners are looking to close the offseason by locking up commitments from several 2024 prospects over the next few weeks. One player they’ve picked up momentum for in recent days is Heritage Hall three-star athlete Andy Bass.

Bass dropped his top three on Sunday: the Oklahoma Sooners, Kansas State Wildcats and Syracuse Orangemen.

On Monday morning, Rivals and OUInsider’s Parker Thune flipped his Rivals futurecast that once favored the Orange to the Sooners.

Bass, who played quarterback for his high school squad is being considered at running back and slot wide receiver for the Sooners. An elite athlete, Bass is able to make plays in the open field with fantastic lateral agility and breakaway speed.

If the Sooners land Bass as part of their 2024 recruiting class, Jeff Lebby would have another fantastic athlete to get the ball to in the running game or the passing attack. Oklahoma already has tight end Davon Mitchell and running backs Taylor Tatum and Xavier Robinson. Wide receivers Zion Kearney, Zion Ragins, Ivan Carreon, Dozie Ezukanma and K.J. Daniels give the Sooners an incredible stable of playmakers for Lebby to work with once they get on campus.

A team can’t have too many playmakers and with Thune’s prediction favoring the Sooners, it looks as if Oklahoma is on the verge of landing one of the best playmakers in the Sooner State.

Syracuse football recruit Andy Bass has SU and two Big 12 schools in Top 3 (PS; Leiker)

Syracuse football is in the running for one of the top players in Oklahoma.

Andy Bass, a three-star QB and the No. 15 player in the Sooner State, announced a top 3 of SU, Oklahoma and Kansas State on Sunday night. He has not set a date for his commitment.

Bass plays at Heritage Hall in Oklahoma City. He led the Chargers to a state title last year with a 13-1 overall record. It was his first season on varsity at Heritage Hall after transfer rules within the state made him ineligible for the top squad his sophomore year.

Bass (5-foot-11, 200 pounds) completed 200 passes (62.7% of his attempts) for 2,833 yards and 28 touchdowns. He had eight interceptions.

Top 3 ‼️ Where to? pic.twitter.com/3roTqhim03
— Andy Bass (@theandybass) July 30, 2023

While Bass holds offers from both Syracuse and Oklahoma, he would only be a preferred walk-on at Kansas State according to 247 Sports.

If he chooses Syracuse, Bass would be the second QB verbally committed to the class. The Orange earned the commitment of Georgia native Jakhari Williams. Williams was a four-star at the time of his commitment but has since been downgraded to a three star.

Williams is still the No. 29 quarterback in the country. Bass, meanwhile, is ranked by 247 Sports as an athlete and is No. 155 in the country.

2025 ATH Al-khabir Bethune reacts to Syracuse offer (247sports; Finneral)

Class of 2025 athlete Al-khabir Bethune received an offer from Syracuse football in late April. He respects the Syracuse program and the level of competition they face.

“I think it’s a great organization, if you ask me,” Bethune said. “The division they play in the ACC, I feel like that is a great place to play in. I feel like I can really see myself getting into one of those divisions like the ACC and SEC. That’s where I really want to play. Them offering me, it felt great. First Power Five offer, there’s no better feeling than that.”

Bethune plays at Plainfield High School in New Jersey. He visited Syracuse in June and really enjoyed seeing the facilities and learning more about the football program.

“It went great,” Bethune said. “Their whole facility is great and it’s modern. They’re still rebuilding stuff, so it’s going to be way better than how it was when I last went down there. It was a great facility.”

Bethune is an athlete who plays wide receiver and defensive back. He said he is being recruited as an athlete by Syracuse and doesn’t necessarily know what position they would use him at. He has been able to step up his football knowledge through conversations with the Orange coaches.

“I feel like they really knew what they were talking about based on coverages and everything else,” he said. “They really taught me a lot of things.”

Bethune also has offers from Temple, UMass, Akron, Sacred Heart and Long Island. Syracuse is currently his top choice out of those schools.

“Right now, Syracuse is my biggest offer,” Bethune said. “That’s at the top of my charts. I feel like Syracuse is at the top of my charts.”

Bethune is six-foot-three, 190-pounds and has impressive speed and length at the wide receiver position. He said a few things in particular make Syracuse stand out among the schools recruiting him.

“I feel like I have a connection with coach [Nunzio Campanile],” Bethune said. “He really makes me feel at home when I’m talking to him. Also like I said, the division. I really like the ACC, I really like the competition.”

Bethune said last year was a ‘rebuilding year’ at Plainfield. He said the team returns many important players and expects to have a much better season. Bethune has been hard at work to put himself in the best position for his junior year.

Syracuse football position preview: Secondary (TNIAAM; Wall)

As we approach the start of camp for the Syracuse Orange football team, it’s time to dig in and look at the position groups. Today we look at the secondary.

Let’s start with the bad news first. Gone are Garrett Williams, Duce Chestnut and Ja’Had Carter. That trio had six of Syracuse’s nine interceptions last year. There’s no denying that’s a lot of talent to replace, especially when the Orange expected Chestnut and Carter to be anchors for this season. Can this defense regroup without the three playmakers around?

The good news is that Syracuse returns a lot of experienced players. Justin Barron, Alijah Clark, Isaiah Johnson, Jason Simmons, Jr., Jeremiah Wilson and Aman Greenwood have all seen significant snaps.

Johnson and Wilson appear to have the inside track on the starting corner positions while the other four will compete for the three safety spots. Wilson struggled against Florida State but he made a strong impression in his first season and he could take a big step forward this fall, while Johnson brings size and experience to the other corner. Tony White liked to leave his corners in man coverage, so we’ll have to see if Rocky Long does the same.

Barron, Clark and Simmons, Jr are likely to start. Barron and Clark were among the top tacklers on the team last year, but success for this group would be more evident in the third-down conversion rate of opposing offenses. Last year Syracuse allowed opponents to convert on 40% of third-downs, and that’s not a winning formula. The defense needs to get off the field in these situations and the safety group will be critical in these situations.

Where Do SU Football Alums Stack Up On Their NFL Rosters? (orangefizz.net; Aitken)

There are 16 former Syracuse football players on NFL rosters. However, guys like Chandler Jones and Zaire Franklin have clear roles on their teams. But five SU alums are entering their rookie seasons, so training camp is an especially important time for them. How are they doing so far, and where do they stack up on their teams?

Sean Tucker – Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Sean Tucker has been through a lot this offseason. He discovered a heart condition that forced him to withdraw from most of the NFL combine and then went undrafted. However, Tucker has worked through that to get an opportunity with the Buccaneers, and there’s plenty of opportunity there.

The lead back for Tampa Bay will likely be last year’s secondary back, Rachaad White. With the starter Leonard Fournette still a free agent, it makes sense for White to step up. However, after that, it’s wide open. There’s fourth year back Ke’Shawn Vaughn, journeyman Chase Edmonds, and former practice squad player Patrick Laird. None of those guys have a secured spot, so if Tucker plays well enough, he could rocket up on the depth chart.

Matthew Bergeron – Atlanta Falcons

Matthew Bergeron is already an example of the opportunities that can arrive in training camp. Less than a week into the practices, the Falcons starting left guard, Matt Hennessey went down with a lower body injury. That gave Bergeron, the 38th overall pick in the 2023 NFL draft, an opportunity to take starting reps.

Bergeron is entering the unknown. He’s a left tackle by trade, and has never played left guard before. Hennessey’s status is also cloudy – the Falcons’ coach indicated he won’t be out long, but didn’t give a time table. However, it seems as though Bergeron has a decent shot at competing for a starting spot in Week 1.

Andre Szmyt – Chicago Bears

Andre Szmyt, the former Lou Groza winner for best kicker in college football, is on the outside looking in to make the Bears roster this year. Although Szmyt had a great track record in college, he’s working against an experienced kicker in Cairo Santos.
The Chicago special teamer made over 90% of his field goals last year, which ranked 7th in the NFL. While he did miss a concerning five extra points, it seems as though his starting spot is safe. The Bears’ special teams coordinator has spoken highly of Santos, but that doesn’t mean Szmyt has nothing to play for. If he performs well in training camp and preseason games, there’s a chance another team likes what they see and offers him a spot.

Garrett Williams – Arizona Cardinals

It was known going into training camp that Garrett Williams was still working to rehab from a torn ACL he suffered last October. The Cardinals actions this past week confirm that the cornerback isn’t at 100% yet. Last week, he was added to the active/non-football injury list.
This isn’t a surprise, and isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Williams has time to work through his injury, and when he returns, there will be plenty of opportunities for him. The Cardinals don’t have much depth in the secondary, so that certainly bodes well for the 2023 third round pick.

Mikel Jones – Los Angeles Chargers

Mikel Jones faces a tough situation with the Chargers. Entering training camp, the team has 17 linebackers on its roster. Four of them are 2023 undrafted free agents, including Jones. While the three-time All-ACC player clearly has talent, the road to a spot on the Los Angeles roster is a tough one.

Syracuse Football: Cuse in strong company with 2 on Maxwell watch list (itlh; Fiello)

Every year, the Maxwell Award goes to the most outstanding offensive player in college football, and Syracuse football is getting some preseason love for this annual honor.

Recently a list of 85 names was released for the initial Maxwell Award watch list for the upcoming season, and Syracuse football is one of 16 teams with multiple players on this list ahead of the 2023 season.

1-of-16 schools with multiple players on the @MaxwellFootball Award Watch List!
Watch out for this duo
Details: Shrader and Gadsden Make Maxwell Watch List - Syracuse University Athletics pic.twitter.com/apwDJ0R6BM
— Syracuse Football (@CuseFootball) July 31, 2023

The Syracuse football players listed were Syracuse football quarterback Garrett Shrader and wide receiver/tight end Oronde Gadsden II, according to the official Cuse website and social media page.

For more information about the award and the full list, here’s a link to the official website if you’re interested.

Syracuse football is well-represented on the Maxwell Award watch list.

Obviously, the season hasn’t started yet so anything can happen but this is a very nice accomplishment to get not just one but two players mentioned. Both men earned this honor and are going into the season with high expectations.

Even though ACC Network college football analyst Eric Mac Lain doesn’t have Shrader listed in his top 5 quarterbacks in the ACC, I fully expect he will prove he should have been on the list when the season kicks off September 2nd.

TNIAAM Reacts: Vibe check as Syracuse Football prepares to start camp (TNIAAM; Wall)

Syracuse Orange football camp kicks off this week and after last season’s Pinstripe Bowl appearance we know expectations are that the Orange will be bowl bound again.

Of course it can’t be all serious around here so we asked which Syracuse representative had the best drip in Charlotte last week? It was a close contest but Oronde Gadsden II got the nod from you.

Syracuse_1_072823.png

Many of you expect the Orange to finish at least .500 in ACC games this Fall. We’ll find out which of these games you expect to be wins as the season approaches.

Syracuse Football: My favorite 7 Cuse football games of my fandom (itlh; Fiello)

Ever run into people who are excited about the upcoming Syracuse football season but also want to tell you about their past experiences? Like a Big East fan who remembers those days vividly and misses them? Or how about the uncle who saw Ernie Davis play once?

I think most of us have memories we cherish and in some cases, it’s probably why we are the fan that we are today. We watched them with family and loved rooting for the Orange with grandpa and grandma or mom or dad were alums. Or maybe you watched when Kirby Dar Dar did the reverse against Florida in 1991 and wanted to be like him.

In my case, I became a fan for multiple reasons but there are definitely games and plays I look back on fondly and smile still because they likely solidified it for me.

So before the season starts, I’ll share with you some of the games I loved most. Now I started the idea with only five but realistically there are 7 I thought of instantly and I can’t just eliminate any so it’s my “Fav 7” instead of “Fav Five.”

And along the way, I’ll share some more tweets from other Orange fans kind enough to share their favorite games as well. We all have different games for differing reasons but as you’ll see, some of the Twitter games seem to be about in line with my tastes as well. And much like you reading this, we here at Inside The Loud House are fans too and like sharing your thoughts as well.

Keep in mind, I was born in 1972 but my memories really only go back up to the 80s and the Coach Dick MacPherson era. So I’m doing this in chronological order starting with 1984 and going to 2017. Her are my Fav 7 and a few others from Twitter.

Panther-lair - 2023 Season preview: Syracuse ((r1vals; Hammett)

The 2023 Pitt football season is less than two months away. The Panthers are coming off a 9-4 season, which was capped off with a dramatic 37-35 win over UCLA in the Sun Bowl. After starting the 2022 season with a disappointing 4-4 mark, Pitt surged down the stretch and won its final five games and finished No. 22 in the final AP poll. 2022 marked the second straight season Pat Narduzzi’s team finished the year ranked.

The Panthers’ success on the field translated to some notoriety off of it. Pitt boasted six NFL draft picks in April, including Calijah Kancey, giving the Panthers a second straight year with a first round pick. The talent lost is undeniable, but Pitt still returns some key players and ending the year with a five-game winning streak creates some optimism for the 2023 season.

Given we are in the month of July, we will start to slowly prepare for the start of training camp next month and the season opener on September 2nd. We will take a game by game look ahead at all 12 of Pitt’s regular season matchups.

Today we will look at one of the more intriguing games on the schedule, not so much due to the opponent, but because of the location. Pitt will travel to New York City on November 11th to take on Syracuse with the game being held at Yankee Stadium. The game is celebrating the 100-year anniversary of the first football game being played at Yankee Stadium, a 3-0 Syracuse win over Pitt, back in 1923. There is plenty of history here between the two programs.

Let’s take a closer look at the Syracuse Orange.

Game details: Saturday November 11, 2023. Yankee Stadium (46,537 capacity) 3:30 TBA

Opponent: Syracuse University, established 1870

School location: Syracuse, New York

2022 record: 7-6 (4-4 ACC)

Postseason: 28-20 loss to Minnesota in Pinstripe Bowl

Head Coach: Dino Babers, 8th season, 36-49 (73-65 in 11 seasons overall)

Returning Starters: 11 (5 offense, 6 defense)

Last Meeting: November 5, 2022: Pitt 19, Syracuse 9

All-Time Series: Pitt leads 43-31-3

Rivals Recruiting Rankings by year:

2023:
96th

2022: 65th

2021: 51st

2020: 54th

2019: 64th

Offense

2022 season ranks

Total:
75th (374.8 ypg)

Scoring: 69th (27.7 ppg)

Passing: 66th (232.3 ypg)

Rushing: 73rd (142.5 ypg)

KEY Players

Garrett Shrader QB

Lequint Allen RB

Oronde Gadsden TE

Damien Alford WR

Chris Bleich RG

Outlook
: The Syracuse offense has largely been defined by its star running back the past three seasons. Sean Tucker left Syracuse as the program’s third all-time leading rusher after posting 3,182 yards and 27 touchdowns for his career. Tucker also amassed 64 receptions for 622 yards and four scores as a receiver. He was a key component to what Syracuse liked to do on offense, but the Orange should at least have some firepower in the passing game for this season.

Garrett Shrader took a significant jump from 2021 to last season as he totaled 2,640 passing yards and 17 touchdowns while completing 65% of his passes. Shrader is dangerous runner as well and has over 1,200 rushing yards and 23 scores over the past two seasons as the team’s top quarterback. An injury kept Shrader out of the Pitt game last season and the offense sputtered that day at Acrisure Stadium.

The running game will take a hit losing Tucker, but LeQuint Allen gained some experience as a freshman and looked solid in the bowl game back in December with 94 yards on 15 carries against Minnesota. It will be hard to replace Tucker fully, but Allen has some ability.

ACC News

Time to send a lifeboat... (RX; HM)

Time to send a lifeboat...

Rumors are starting too leak like the Titanic, and those rumors aren't good...

. @drewjay on Jason Scheer's report about the Pac-12 media rights deal being around $20 million and heavy streaming:

"That is not palatable. If that's the case, I would not be surprised if you see a mass exodus from the Pac-12. I cannot imagine schools like Oregon, Washington,… pic.twitter.com/Dr1POka80o
— Benjamin Criddle (@CriddleBenjamin) August 1, 2023

If the best the Pac-12 can get really is just $20 million per school per year, it's time for the ACC to step in. This isn't "poaching" (the Big Ten and Big XII have already done that damage) - this is a rescue mission!

Rx: What I would do if I were the ACC Commissioner...

Don't wait for other teams to start leaving - be proactive!

Virginia Tech Football 2023 Fan Day date announced - Virginia Tech Athletics (hokiesports.com)

As kickoff for football season draws closer, the Virginia Tech athletics department announced a date for the 2023 edition of Fan Day.

Fan Day presents Hokie Nation with the opportunity to interact with head coach Brent Pry and the rest of Tech's staff and players on Sunday, Aug. 13, inside the Beamer-Lawson practice facility. The event is free and open to the public.

Triumph NIL will host an exclusive session at 1 p.m. ET for its subscribers to meet with select Virginia Tech student-athletes and Pry. Hokie Kids' Club maroon level members will receive exclusive early access, starting at 1:15 p.m. The general public will enter 15 minutes later at 1:30 p.m. The Fan Day festivities will conclude at 2:45 p.m.

Fans who subscribe to TriumphNIL.com will receive meet and greets, podcasts, livestreams and more. Hokie Kids' Club memberships are still available for the upcoming season. Those who secure Maroon memberships by Friday, Aug. 11 can take advantage of an exclusive ticket offer for Tech's home games against Old Dominion and Purdue this fall.

My 2023 ACC Preseason Football All-ACC Ballot, Order of Finish (247sports.com; Lemons Debro)

Another checkmark on the road back to college football will be checked in the next couple of days as the ACC's order of finish, as voted on by media, will be announced on August 1st and the Preseason All-ACC team will be revealed the following day.

As is customary, I don't really care for these things to be confidential, so I've compiled my ballot and thoughts of the "Why" behind said picks.

With preseason stuff, I try and lean more of the"these are the top guys coming back" mindset versus trying to project all the way out through December. There are parts you have to project like order of finish, and I do like to take into consideration changes on the team whether it be at the coordinator level or the player level.

I also acknowledge nothing in the ACC ever makes sense, so I'll be sure to take it on the chin when 85% of these things end up being wrong by week 4.

But enough from me, who was on my ballot?

QUARTERBACK

My Pick: Drake Maye, North Carolina
Others considered: Jordan Travis, Florida State| Riley Leonard, Duke
This was tougher than I originally thought it would be.
Leonard was the first one out, but it wasn't easy. At the risk of Devin Leary'ing him, he was a *lot* better than people give him credit for and should be included more in discussions of the upper-echelon quarterbacks in the ACC.

Drake versus Travis was the talk of ACC Kickoff, and I get the argument for both.

Travis returns a ton of his offense, gets some shiny new toys to throw with, and all the marquee games he can handle to boost his stock. Meanwhile, Maye lost Josh Downs, his offensive line isn't great, and the new offensive coordinator is going to seemingly make it a point to run the dang ball, which might take a hit to Maye's counting stats.

Clemson Football: Be skeptical of some conference realignment claims (rubbingtherock.com; Chancey)

Rubbing The Rock recently published an article about conference realignment rumors that could impact Clemson Football. The rumors discussed were specifically referred to as just that: rumors. Things that were being said but not backed up by evidence or multiple sources. They are fun to talk about but questionable regarding authenticity.

Sometimes rumors are about mundane things, like a phone call between two conferences. That rumor was unproven, but not unrealistic. Phone calls happen all the time, but they don’t often amount to anything.

Another rumor was that Florida State was actively trying to exit the ACC. Water is also wet, by the way.

There is a saying, “Where there is smoke, there is fire”, which has been considered wisdom for many years. Carl Sagan also once said “extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence”.

The latest buzz in college football realignment is that the Big Ten is about to expand again. This appears to have come from Jack McGuire on Twitter.

Scoop City has received a serious rumor that the Big Ten will add Washington, Oregon, FSU, and Clemson this week. pic.twitter.com/5Qpq3MRDW4
— Jack McGuire (@JackMacCFB) July 30, 2023

McGuire is an employee of Barstool Sports. His LinkedIn describes him as a blogger and social media person. His Twitter indicates he is connected to Unnecessary Roughness. After a brief but honest search about Scoop City, I must admit I did not immediately figure out what it is.

This comes while Greg Swaim claims Florida State has negotiated a deal to exit the ACC.

BREAKING: Here's the update on #FSU, as we're now hearing it will be a negotiated buyout of the contract, down to $300M, but paid in installments of close to $30M annually. The #Noles get roughly double that from the #B1G or #SEC each year though.
— SWAIM SHOW (@GSwaim) July 30, 2023

Swaim has made a lot of claims of insider knowledge on realignment over the past year, so many that it would be nearly impossible for some of them to not have come true.

Rumors are rumors, but there is a difference between claiming a phone call happened from claiming that a blockbuster deal to add four schools at one time is being brokered. There is a difference between claiming Florida State is trying to get out of the ACC and claiming they have negotiated a $300 million deal to exit.

That hasn’t stopped people from assuming that Clemson is now imminently headed to the Big Ten. Now people are either happy because the Tigers will move to a Big Two conference, unhappy because they wanted to go to the SEC or unhappy because they don’t think a southern school should join a conference with Rutgers or Minnesota.

Whoa there, friends, back it up for a minute.

McGuire’s tweet and Swaim’s tweet could turn out to be true. Someone once broke the news that Oklahoma and Texas were going to the SEC. Someone broke the news that USC and UCLA were going to the Big Ten. Soon after those claims were made, others in the industry began claiming independently that they were true.

After these claims were made, there was a pause by many to see if people like Bruce Feldman, Stewart Mandel, Brett McMurphy, Ross Dellinger, Andy Staples, or anyone with some clout would independently state the same or believe what was being claimed. This time there was none of that.

Some claims about Clemson Football and conference realignment should be scrutinized

William Qualkinbush has put it best on Twitter:

When the Big 10 & SEC say they want to integrate their new teams before deciding about future expansion, I believe them. It makes sense.
When people float rumors about negotiated settlements with the ACC, I don’t believe them. It doesn’t make sense.
Be patient. Not right now.*
— William Qualkinbush (@QualkTalk) July 31, 2023

That harkens back to an older tweet expressing the same sentiment.

My 3 rules of reading Twitter reports:
1. If you haven’t heard of the person, do some research.
2. If the person works for a credible outlet, see if other credible people you trust are corroborating.
3. If not, ignore the tweet.
Seems like a good time for this.
— William Qualkinbush (@QualkTalk) December 3, 2021

Then Dellinger did speak up, but he didn’t confirm anything. Instead, he threw shade.

A reminder of the Conference Realignment Season Creed:
Consider everything;
Believe nothing. pic.twitter.com/BjD0xsZbOv
— Ross Dellenger (@RossDellenger) July 31, 2023

Lastly, Josh Pate fired a direct broadside at McGuire.

i dare this to be right
— Josh Pate (@LateKickJosh) July 30, 2023

Sometimes, we just can’t believe what is being claimed, and this is a fantastic example. McGuire could turn out to be correct, but the current evidence just doesn’t support that conclusion. Swaim’s claim could be accurate, but until it is corroborated by others who have connections, it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Rumors are fun to talk about, but they must be held at arm’s length, because more often than not they turn out to simply be false smoke spread by someone to start a fire.

Dabo Swinney weighs in on Notre Dame playing partial ACC football schedule (on3.com; Connolly)

As conference realignment continues to take place throughout college football, Notre Dame continues to play a partial ACC schedule.

The Irish are set to face five ACC teams per year for the next decade-plus as a part of their agreement with the league. Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney was asked at the 2023 ACC Football Kickoff event if Notre Dame playing a partial ACC schedule is good for Clemson and good for the league.

“I mean, I think anytime you can play good teams it’s good for you, regardless of if they’re in the league or not in the league,” Swinney said. “I think it’s great any time you can play great teams. Certainly Notre Dame is one of those teams.”

Clemson and Notre Dame have faced off five times since 2015, including last season, when the Irish earned a 35-14 win. The two programs are also set to meet again in 2023.

As for future games, the Tigers and Irish are scheduled to play in 2027, 2028, 2031, 2034 and 2037, in addition to this upcoming year.

Whether it be Notre Dame or another powerhouse program, Clemson has a simple philosophy as far as its scheduling. The Tigers play eight conference games, South Carolina and an additional Power 5 program out of conference each year. That means Clemson faces 10 Power 5 programs and two non-Power 5 programs annually.

“That’s kind of been our scheduling model since I got the job,” Swinney said. “We’ve tried to play 10 ‘all ins’ if you will. And we’ve tried to play one team from our state. And then another Group of 5 type of team. That’s kind of been our model for a long time. I know not everybody really subscribes to that, the 10 Power 5 type games.”

https://www.si.com/college/westvirg...a-decade-late-and-a-few-million-dollars-short (SI; Callihan)

The landscape of college athletics continues to change by the day it seems. Geography no longer matters in conference realignment, which began a decade ago when West Virginia landed in the Big 12 Conference.

But for years, WVU was the outlier. They were the only school that had to travel as far as they did for conference matchups. That will all change starting this year thanks to the Big 12's additions of Central Florida and Cincinnati. Next year, UCLA and USC will transition to the PAC 12 and will have their own long distance issues to deal with. The Big 12 is continuing its expansion search with other PAC 12 institutions and while all that is going on, other leagues feel the need to make a move themselves to ensure the stability of their respective conferences long-term.

Last week, a report from ESPN surfaced that the ACC ran a model for expansion that included West Virginia among SMU, Oregon and Washington.

For years, West Virginia fans have loved the idea of leaving the Big 12 for the ACC due to all the history they have with the schools in that league, not to mention the travel is more ideal. But there was really no interest. Not even a rumor. When the Big 12 initially found out they would be losing Oklahoma and Texas, some thought the league would collapse and that maybe WVU would end up in the ACC.

Florida State is not staying put in the ACC | College Football Recruiting Show (cbssports.com; video; cbs sports)

FSU not staying put in the ACC...

Durham on the ACC: 'I think it's gonna be one of the better products nationally' (clemsonsportstalk.com; Swann)

On the history of the ACC Kickoff:

"I hadn't thought about that. This is 2023, so this would be 28 years of coming to this. Yeah, because I started '95. I haven't been to every one. I laid off a few years, then when I started doing some day-to-day radio in Atlanta I came more consistently. When I went to TV and left Georgia Tech, I came every year. It's changed a lot. It used to be three days with nine teams, and there was golf involved. There was one day we were all here, and nobody did this. One year, we did golf in the morning, and two or three schools in the afternoon. A coach would show up, and a coach would stay for three days. In fact, when I first went in '95 they would bring their whole staffs and ADs would be there."

On being named play-by-play man for ACC Primetime Football:

"Yeah, I'm excited. I'm honored-- humbled to a degree. It's a goal where I came in and was fortunate to start with the network on the ground floor with Packer and I doing the show. Then I was doing games, and when I went to games full time last year, one of my goals was ultimately, could I move up the chartin football. That happened a little bit last year, and now I'm just thrilled to join Tim Hasselbeck. Taylor Tannenbaum is coming over to do sidelines with us because Kelsey (Riggs) is taken on the host of The Huddle role, which is great for her and great for Taylor."

On what ACC Primetime Football brings the league:

"More excitement for me also being a part of having a large production on site for those Saturday night games. We'll be in Clemson in week three for the Florida Atlantic game. We'll have ACC Huddle there, ACC PM will be there on Friday. It'd be great to have those guys in the stadium at the rim of Frank Howard Field, to be a part of the environment that night. It'll be fun to be there for our game and our game broadcast, but also to be with these guys. It really creates a camaraderie that we quite haven't been able to achieve, in all honesty, with ACC Network. I think the the effort of the institutions and the effort of ESPN and ACC to get all this done, I think is really, really been good. I'm excited to be on the ground for the bigger show now traveling."

On the ACC in 2023:

"I think it's gonna be pretty good. I think it's gonna be one of the better products nationally, but we're gonna have to prove it as the year goes on. It's really going to have to happen through the month of September. A lot of important games: Florida State-LSU, Texas A&M-Miami, Carolina-South Carolina, and I can say that, and I will say that, Carolina-South Carolina in Charlotte. Well, 49 states and the District of Columbia, Lawton, Where's Carolina? Chapel Hill. So that was my old man's line. I can't take credit for that one.”

Leave ACC without paying for GoR? (RX; HM)

Leave ACC without paying for GoR?

Asking for a "friend"...

Q: Is there any way for an ACC football-first school like, say, Florida State to exit the ACC without paying anything to get out of the Grant of Rights?(To be clear, I'm not asking if they could avoid paying the exit fee, just the GoR)

A: Maybe - but it would have to be in conjunction with ESPN. (read on...)

What is a Grant of Rights, really?

According to the website LawInSport.com,

A “Grant of Rights” is an agreement between a collegiate athletics conference (tournament organizer) and its respective members (the schools) where the members “agree to transfer their media rights to their conference for a set period of time.”

Can a majority of teams nullify the GoR?

Short answer: apparently not. Here's a statement from the original ACC GoR (2013; my italics):

This agreement may not be modified or amended other than by an agreement in writing signed by duly authorized representatives of the Conference and each of the Member Institutions that are then members of the Conference.

Did you see that? Not "a majority", but "each" school. While we're at it...

Would adding some Pac-12 schools nullify the GoR?

Again, no, because it states "each of the Member Institutions that are then members...". So add as many schools as you want - the GoR remains intact (as long as all new members sign it, too).
What are the stakes? From an article by Andy Staples in The Athletic [How would a school challenge a grant of rights?]:

Another look at Pac-12 Schools (RX; HM)

Another look at Pac-12 Schools

Here's another useful way to look at the schools in the Pac-12:

PAC-9 vs. BIG TEN + BIG 12:
Who fits best with whom?

We've looked at variations of this chart a lot before, but retweeting an update that my awesome Wildcat friend @ironmikeluke and I talked about, comparing how the Pac-9 schools fit institutionally and athletically relative to… pic.twitter.com/SniVtKYSMN
— Tony Altimore (@TJAltimore) July 30, 2023

Again, I stick with my mantra: Stanford is the first team the ACC should add, and the University of Washington is second (I don't want two California schools, and Stanford is much better than Cal). After that, you can make arguments for several schools (for me, it's Oregon and Arizona State).

Teams That Could Step Back in 2023 (RX; HM)

Teams That Could Step Back in 2023

From Yahoo! Sports: "10 college football teams who could take a step back in 2023" by Sam Cooper, here are his picks, with his reasoning for a couple of schools...

Cincinnati (9-4 in 2022)
Coastal Carolina (9-4)
Duke (9-4)

Duke was one of the biggest surprises in the sport last fall, winning nine games in its first season under coach Mike Elko. The Blue Devils won 10 games combined in their previous three seasons, so it was a huge and unexpected leap forward in the win column.
From an overall talent perspective, Duke looks like it should be just as good in 2023 but their record won't reflect that. The schedule is significantly more difficult compared to last season when they avoided Clemson, Florida State, NC State and Louisville in ACC play. This year, with divisions eliminated in the ACC, Duke has to face Clemson, NC State and Pitt at home and gets Florida State, Louisville and North Carolina all on the road. There’s also a home game vs. Notre Dame.
On top of the much tougher schedule, Duke won’t be overlooked by ACC competition like it was last year. The Blue Devils were also aided by one of the top turnover margins in the country and there are some concerns about the offensive line, pass rush and secondary. This looks more like a 6-6 team than one that can get back to eight or nine wins.

Fresno State (10-4)
Mississippi State (9-4)
Oregon State (10-3)
South Carolina (8-5)

In general, I believe South Carolina is trending in the right direction under Shane Beamer, especially with the level of recruiting we’ve seen recently. At the same time, I think it’s far more likely that the Gamecocks drop back down to 5-7 or 6-6 than take a leap forward to 9-3 or 10-2 in 2023. There are just too many losable games on this schedule and too many question marks about the roster.

$300 million buyout in line for FSU leaving ACC, Noles to reap 2x profits if the program joins Big Ten or SEC: Reports (sportskeeda.com; Yusaf)

Florida State's attempt to exit the Atlantic Coast Conference is reportedly gaining momentum. The rumors of the Seminoles' plan to leave the conference started last week, but how the university would navigate its binding contract with the ACC wasn't known then.

However, the latest reports suggest the university will arrange a buyout. According to college football insider Greg Swaim, Florida State will negotiate a $300 million buyout to exit the ACC. This will be the most expensive conference exit in the history of college sports.

The Seminoles are expected to make the massive buyout payment in installments. Swaim reports that the university will pay $30 million annually over ten years. The fee eclipses the $100 million paid by Texas and Oklahoma to exit the Big 12 early.

SWAIM SHOW
@GSwaim
BREAKING: Here's the update on #FSU, as we're now hearing it will be a negotiated buyout of the contract, down to $300M, but paid in installments of close to $30M annually. The #Noles get roughly double that from the #B1G or #SEC each year though.

Other

YUPPAQGQLRAOPD67ZTILVHNNYE.jpg

Rendering shows Micron Technology Inc.'s planned semiconductor fabrication facility in Clay. Micron says the $100 billion plant will create 9,000 jobs over 20 years and four times that many support positions at related suppliers and service companies. (Micron Technology)

Micron’s environmental impact at Clay chip fabs doubles in latest estimates (PS; $; Coin & Knauss)

Last fall, it looked like Micron Technology’s planned semiconductor plant in Clay would need a maximum of 20 million gallons of water every day.

With a water recycling program, officials said, the amount might be half that. In that case, the Onondaga County Water Authority said, it could provide that much without building an expensive water line from Lake Ontario to the plant.

But an environmental report recently filed by Micron now says that when the huge plant is done in 20 years, it would need 48 million gallons of water a day. That’s double the estimate of less than a year ago, and it’s more than the 40 million gallons the entire city of Syracuse uses in a day.

Providing that much water to the Micron plant would require the construction of that 54-inch diameter line from Oswego to Clay, the company says.

That line could cost $100 million, and it’s not clear how much taxpayers would be on the hook for.

It’s not just the water. The projected electricity use, which in October was estimated at more than the state of Vermont consumes, has also doubled. Now it looks like the plant will use as much power as Vermont and New Hampshire combined.

As the Micron project comes into sharper view, one thing is clear: It appears it’s going to have a much bigger environmental impact than was forecast when President Joe Biden came to town in October to tout the deal.

How incoming tenants at Great Northern Mall could fit into big transformation plans (PS; $; Doran)

Three tenants are lining up to move into the former Sears building at Great Northern Mall.

Sky Zone Trampoline Park, CNY Gym Centre and VET4U, a pharmaceutical mail-order company, have plans to rent the empty space, James Ranalli III, president of Ranalli Generations LLC, told syracuse.com | The Post-Standard.

Those businesses could fit seamlessly into another developer’s plans to turn Great Northern Mall into a residential, business and retail hub, Ranalli said.

Guy Hart Jr. is a local developer with plans to turn the former mall into a “town center,” a place where people can work, play, shop and live all within a walkable area. He envisions a community of medical offices, entertainment offerings and hundreds of homes.

Hart says he wants to work with Ranalli, who bought the old Sears building last year. Ranalli agrees.

“Our plan won’t hurt anything Hart is doing, and we want to work with him in any way we can,” Ranalli said. “We are 100 percent in favor of doing anything we can to get that property back on the map, and looking pristine again.”

Ranalli said he sees Sky Zone and the gymnastics center as some of the entertainment components of Hart’s overall plan. The pharmaceutical distributor will benefit residents and medical offices in the area, Ranalli said.

The Sears building, vacant since it closed in 2018, was purchased by Ranalli Generations LLC in April 2022. Ranalli Generations LLC, a company formed by the same family that owns United Auto Supply, bought the 147,000-square-foot former anchor store for $2.25 million, according to Onondaga County property records.

The Sears building is owned separately from Great Northern Mall. Hart and his company, Hart Lyman Cos., are poised to close and take possession of the former mall soon, Hart said.

Great Northern Mall developer buys shopping center and reveals new partner (PS; $; Doran)

Guy Hart, the local developer behind the effort to transform Great Northern Mall into a living, working and entertainment community, has bought the shopping center and now has a new partner.

Hart, of Hart-Lyman Cos. closed on the sale of the mall on Friday. The purchase price was about $9 million, Hart said.

His new partner in the redevelopment is Conifer Realty, a real estate company that specializes in building housing communities.

Hart said Conifer will help him achieve his vision of remaking the former mall into a “town center” complete with hundreds of homes, entertainment and restaurant spaces, and medical offices. It will have apartments, townhomes, offices, national retailers and maybe a national grocery store and movie theatre.

Conifer and Hart-Lyman Cos. are equal partners in the redevelopment project, and both have a financial investment in the project, Hart said

“I am thrilled to embark on this transformative journey with Conifer,” Hart said in a statement. “Our combined vision for this town center concept is unparalleled in Central New York, and we are committed to delivering a project that will exceed expectations, enhance the community, and create lasting value.”

Last edited:

This would solve Micron’s need for energy and it’s doable and in addition would give us all free energy! Just ask yourself, why am I paying for energy?​