Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
e4d4db2e-0b7b-42e3-803f-df2d17b014f0_750x422.jpg
Welcome to National Cinema Day!

National Cinema Day: See ‘Barbie,’ more movies in theaters for just $4 (PS; AP)

Still haven’t seen “Barbie” or “Oppenheimer”? This Sunday, you’ll be able to catch up for $4 a ticket in movie theaters nationwide.

Theater owners announced Monday that the second annual National Cinema Day will be held Sunday, Aug. 27. For one day, all movies — in all formats and at all showtimes — will be $4 at participating theaters. More than 3,000 theaters are participating, which accounts for most of the cinemas in the U.S., including the leading chains AMC and Regal.

It’s the second straight year theaters are trotting out the one-day event at the tail end of summer. Last year’s inaugural National Cinema Day, put on by the Cinema Foundation, a nonprofit affiliate of the National Association of Theater Owners, was judged an enormous success. An estimated 8.1 million moviegoers bought $3 tickets on Saturday, Sept. 3. The average movie ticket in 2022, according to NATO, cost $10.53.

SU News

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/football/three-reasons-syracuse-bowl-game-not (SI; Crawford)

Awe, it is, in fact, that time of the year again. T-shirts and shorts are still wearable, the activity and buzz on campus is picking up with classes beginning in less than a week, and your Syracuse football team is closing the curtains on their 2023 iteration of fall camp. After an action-packed offseason that had fans and the community at-large waiting with bated breath concerning LeQuint Allen’s status, as well as several last-minute additions that could prove to be crucial, the dust seems to have settled a bit with what the roster will look like headed to the first game. As we’ve seen, the peaks and valleys with this team can be extreme, especially once ACC play hits. With that knowledge, let's cover three reasons why this Orange team could be repeat bowl eligibility status this year, which could do a lot of in terms of job security for one Dino Babers, as well as three reasons that could get in the way of a second straight winning season and turn the heat up even more for the cushions of Baber’s already lukewarm seat.

REASONS THEY WILL

1. Garrett Shrader takes a big jump (as expected)
    Shrader was the definition of an enigma last year, looking like one of college football's most lethal dual-threat quarterbacks in September and October, highlighted by being named to Davey O’Brien Award Midseason Watch List after his five touchdown performance vs. UConn. As ACC play hit, however, his play took a sharp nosedive, in no small part to injuries. Regardless, your starting quarterback completing a woeful 31% of his passes during the meat of conference play (Notre Dame, FSU, and Wake Forest) simply cannot happen. Shrader is one of the most talented and experienced quarterbacks in the ACC this year, and with no Sean Tucker in the backfield, the onus is going to fall on him for SU to have an explosive offense. Shrader’s still not quite up to 100% health-wise, but I like the approach he has taken with his surgically-repaired elbow, testing the limits of it and letting him get stack reps with his receiving corp while also being intentional about his pitch count and acknowledging that they want to keep him healthy for the more grueling part of the year.

Syracuse football’s Oronde Gadsden II named preseason All-American by the Associated Press (PS; Carlson)

Syracuse tight end Oronde Gadsden II was named to the Associated Press’ preseason All-American team on Monday, one of the most notable preseason honors that a college football player can receive.

Gadsden was named to the organization’s second team. The organization named Georgia tight end Brock Bowers as its first team tight end. The teams were published by the AP on Tuesday.

It marks the second consecutive season that a Syracuse football player entered the year with substantial national hype. Running back Sean Tucker was named to second team by the AP in the preseason last year.

Gadsden is one of 10 players in the ACC to be listed as an AP preseason All-American. Clemson led the way with four players making the list, while North Carolina had two. Syracuse, Florida State, Miami and Boston College all had one each.

Florida State defensive end Jared Verse, a transfer from Albany, and Miami safety Kam Kinchens were the only two first-team selections.

What Does Success Look Like for Garrett Shrader? (orangefizz.net; Simone)

Garrett Shrader took a massive leap forward last year. The numbers prove that, with the QB throwing for 1,200 more yards than he did the year prior, while his touchdowns jumped by eight and his interceptions only by three.

His yards per attempt mark was 8.3 after it mired at 6.2 in his first season as a starter for Syracuse, and his completion percentage was nearly 65% after posting a 53% mark the year prior.

There were individual games where he even looked like one of the best quarterbacks in the conference. Against Boston College in the regular season finale, he completed over 75% of his passes for 285 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions. Those types of numbers seemed impossible the year prior, especially from the accuracy standpoint.

There were, however, some clunkers as well, namely throwing for just 100 total yards on 30 combined passes in losses to Notre Dame and Florida State. There is a reason for that though, it being a mid-season ankle injury he struggled through and even missed the Pitt game because of. In every other game (when he was healthy), he was always at least serviceable. He may have not always been the reason why the Orange won, but he was never the reason why they lost.

Last season should certainly be characterized as a successful one for Shrader, which begs the question of what success looks like this year. Step one is health. Obviously, that’s not entirely in his control, but as a quarterback who likes to run, Shrader needs to protect himself.

(twitch.tv; radio; Orange Nation)

Mike McAllister "Orange Nation" 8-21-23

Keeping Up With The 315 8-21-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian Higgins opens the show discussing what the ceiling and floor could be for Syracuse football this season and how much the health of one guy could change that. Then, he tells a weird mail story about an oversized book getting sent to his home, which gets about as weird as you might expect it to.

Isaiah Johnson "The 315" 8-21-23 (ESPN; The 315)

Syracuse R-Sr. Defensive Back Isaiah Johnson joins Brian Higgins to discuss the upcoming season, Myles Farmer’s addition to the secondary, new DC Rocky Long, new DB coach Travis Fisher, how he earned his new jersey number this season and much more.

yearly expectations - cusesportstalk on Twitch (twitch.tv; radio; The 315)

Expectations for Syracuse football for 2023

Syracuse football recruit spotlight: 2024 QB Jakhari Williams (cbssports.com; video; Finneral)

247Sports' James Finneral highlights 2024 Syracuse quarterback commit Jakhari Williams.

Former Corcoran football player escapes ‘dark path’ to make dream of playing at Syracuse come true (PS; $; McClendon)

Marcale Billue grew up on Syracuse’s West Side, where he saw how violence and poverty affected the lives of young children and teenagers.

The Corcoran graduate, who just earned a spot on Syracuse University’s football team as a walk-on, said he remembers living in a dangerous situation, both physically and emotionally. He thought he was heading down a path that might lead to prison or possibly even death.

“I wasn’t really living a healthy lifestyle,” he said. “It was the house that I was living in. It wasn’t as clean as a house should be. I didn’t have food and I didn’t really have anybody on my back telling me that I have to go to school, I have to maintain grades. Nobody would check up on my grades and stuff like that.”

Billue remembered the exact moment his life started to change for the better. It was in January 2020, when his older cousin, Mered Billue, took him into his home and under his wing.

“It meant a lot,” Marcale said. “It impacted me a lot. (Mered) had his own family, but he invited me into his family. Like, I was his little brother and he got me situated and stuff like that.”

Mered, a co-founder of Rebirth SYR, is an avid fighter for social justice in and around the Syracuse area, especially since the protests that began in the city after the murder of George Floyd in 2020.

After moving in with his cousin, Marcale began to excel in the classroom and on the football field playing for Corcoran coach Tyrone Fisher.

“I think the way he grew up and the situation that he grew up in, the very difficult things he was seeing in life, I think his cousin Mered put him into a better living situation,” said Fisher, who is heading into his 13th season at the helm of the Cougars program. “I think (Marcale) just saw that not everything is what it seems right here in front of you. Things don’t always have to be violent. Things don’t always have to be dealt with with anger.”

Former Syracuse football player Josh Black scores WWE wrestling contract (PS; Herbert)

Former Syracuse football star Josh Black is stepping into the ring with a new career.

The Rockford Register Star reports Black has scored a 3-year rookie contract with World Wrestling Entertainment, better known as the WWE, after impressing the pro wrestling organization at a tryout earlier this month.

“I waited and waited, but it was so worth the wait,” Black told the publication. “I was a little struck. It was one of those moments, where you are like ‘Is this really happening?’”

According to Wrestling Inc., Black was one of 54 former college athletes that competed for a pro wrestling contract during a “secret” tryout at WWE SumerSlam in Detroit, Michigan. WWE Vice President of Global Talent Development William Regal and WWE trainer Matt Bloom were reportedly at the event, which included former Arizona and Texas Tech linebacker Colin Schooler, San Diego State defensive lineman Anthony Luke (who is the boyfriend of current WWE Superstar Maxxine Dupri), and Team USA track athlete Destinee Brown.

New partnership between Syracuse University and Onondaga Community College (youtube; video; NewsChannell9)

New partnership between Syracuse University and Onondaga Community College

Syracuse football: opening odds for Orange wins in 2023 (TNIAAM; Ostrowski)

After the Syracuse Orange finished the 2022 regular season with a 7-5 record, early odds predict a similar outcome in 2023.

DraftKings has the O/U set at 6.5 wins for the upcoming season. Additionally, SU’s O/U for ACC wins is 3.5.

The Orange are right in the middle among ACC teams’ projected wins this year, with Clemson and FSU leading the pack. Keep in mind that they rank 55th in ESPN’s SP+ entering the new season.

Here’s a peek at the entire schedule’s outlooks:

• Colgate (N/A)
  • Western Michigan (3.5)
  • at Purdue (5.5)
  • Army (6)
  • Clemson (10)
  • at North Carolina (8)
  • at Florida State (10)
  • at Virginia Tech (5)
  • Boston College (5.5)
  • Pittsburgh* (7)
  • at Georgia Tech (4.5)
  • Wake Forest (6.5)
*Hosted at Yankee Stadium

Our football crew agree that the non-conference portion of the schedule is significantly easier than ACC play (as it should be), but there are plenty of chances for ‘Cuse to take the over in both categories.

Why Syracuse football will finish 4-8 in 2023 (TNIAAM; De Guzman)

Ed. Note — As has become tradition, TNIAAM writers will tell you all week why and how this year’s Syracuse Orange football team will finish with certain W-L records. These projections will be more pleasing as we go along and we will all give our actual predictions for the season next week.
  • Monday: 4-8 (Christian)
  • Tuesday: 5-7 (Kevin)
  • Wednesday: 6-6 (Steve)
  • Thursday: 7-5 (Dom)
  • Friday: 8-4 (Mike)
  • Saturday 9-3 (Special Guest)
If you’ve kept up with the site over the past couple of years, you know that I tend to see things on the pessimistic side. Maybe years of dissatisfaction with Syracuse football as a relatively new fan will do that. And while there is reason for hope this season, there are also plenty of reasons for pain.

Colgate Raiders - Win (1-0, 0-0)

The best we can hope for is that Dino Babers actually decides to take the starters out of the game earlier than he has to give the backups a good amount of field time.

Western Michigan Broncos - Win (2-0, 0-0)

Time to earn your spot on the field. There are a few position battles going up and down the depth chart as well as players returning from injury. We should have a clear idea of who are the actual defined starters.

at Purdue Boilermakers - Loss (2-1, 0-0)

Reports of Purdue’s demise is greatly exaggerated as Syracuse looks sloppy in a hostile Big Ten environment. The Orange return to Central New York with their application to join the Big Ten denied.

Disloyal Idiots Podcast: Depth Chart means season preview! (TNIAAM; podcast; Idiots)

The Syracuse Orange news never stops, so we’re here to talk about it!

In this week’s edition of the Podcast, the guys talked about...

• SYRACUSE FOOTBALL DEPTH CHART IS HERE!
  • We talk offense, including backup quarterback controversy, offensive line shuffling, and how the heck Oronde Gadsden gets utilized.
  • What’s the biggest vulnerability for the Orange? Surprise, it’s the offensive line.

I Think You Should Leave: the ACC football edition (TNIAAM; Wall)

As the Syracuse Orange football season approaches, we dive fully into previews and that includes the #jokesandgarbage.

With all the talk about realignment and the Florida State threats, what better combination to match ACC Football teams with than the “I Think You Should Leave” sketches that best fit their program.

Boston College Eagles- “Focus Group”

Not much else you can say about a BC team that had a 1st round NFL draft pick at WR and lost to UConn by a 13-3 score.

Clemson Tigers- “Garfield House”

If you had to pick one college football HC who would have an Odie recliner, it’s 1000% Dabo. Real-life Jon Arbuckle for sure.

ACC News

ACC Preview: Can FSU win the conference for the 1st time since 2014? | College Gameday Podcast (youtube.com; podcast; ESPN College football)

On the College GameDay Podcast, Rece Davis and Pete Thamel continue their conference previews with the ACC. They break down the latest news with Stanford and Cal, if this is the year Florida State finally wins the conference and who will be a breakthrough team this season.

Dorrance: I want Cal and Stanford to die on the vine :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsportsfan.com; video; Hintz)

UNC women's head coach Anson Dorrance didn't hold back when it came to talking about the ACC exploring expansion with Stanford and Cal. Dorrance acknowledged that the two programs are elite, but for the boots on the ground the move would not be good. The concern is not only from a budget and travel standpoint, but from a recruiting aspect as well

Mandel's ACC predictions: Can FSU take the next step? Will Clemson's offense rebound? (theathletic.com; $; Mandel)

While we will dearly miss the ACC Coastal Division, it’s probably for the best that the league’s championship game will no longer be top-10 Clemson vs. barely-ranked somebody almost every year. The past six ACC championship games have been decided by at least 24 points (and as many as 45).

And this may well be the perfect year to go “two best” since two teams, Florida State and Clemson, seem a cut or two above the rest of the pack. Will one or both go into December with College Football Playoff hopes intact or will it instead be an Orange Bowl play-in game?

See my answer below.

(Predictions for other leagues: Big Ten)

ACC

TEAMACCOVERALL
FSU7-110-2
Clemson6-29-3
Pittsburgh6-29-3
Duke5-38-4
UNC5-38-4
UL5-37-5
Miami4-47-5
Wake Forest4-47-5
NC State3-56-6
Georgia Tech3-55-7
Virginia Tech3-55-7
Boston College2-66-6
Syracuse2-64-8
Virginia1-73-9

Championship game

Florida State over Clemson

A few thoughts on the top contenders

Florida State: Week 1 against LSU may determine whether this highly regarded Noles team will be regarded as nationally elite or nationally relevant. I’m taking LSU. But quarterback Jordan Travis, a fortified offensive line and a seemingly stacked defense could be enough to end a seven-year losing streak to Clemson and win its first trophy since 2014.

Clemson: The dream scenario for Dabo is that new offensive coordinator Garrett Riley restokes the magic, turns quarterback Cade Klubnik into a superstar and turns the Tigers back into national title contenders. They have the defense to do it, with tackle Tyler Davis and linebackers Jeremiah Trotter Jr. and Barrett Carter. But there are still questions on the offensive line and at receiver.

ACC expert picks 2023: Most overrated and underrated teams, projected order of finish, bold predictions (cbssports.com; Patterson)

The 2023 ACC football season is shaping up to be one of the most unique in league history as the conference says goodbye to divisions and eyes a return to the College Football Playoff after a two-year absence. While the ACC is undergoing a major shift, the conference championship race features a return to normalcy, of sorts, as No. 8 Clemson and No. 9 Florida State enter the year as the league's clear-cut frontrunners.

The ACC Championship Game has featured either Clemson or Florida State in all but four season since division play began in 2005 with the two programs combining for 12 of 18 conference titles in that span. The Tigers and Seminoles have been the class of the conference, though not always at the same time. Clemson has had the upper hand recently, winning the ACC in seven of the last eight years. Mike Norvell's breakthrough 2022 season with Florida State, however, has the 'Noles back in the top 10 and eyeing a return to the top of the league.

The two will face off at least once, on Sept. 23, and possibly stage a rematch on Dec. 2 in the ACC Championship Game now that they're no longer members of the same division.

https://www.si.com/fannation/colleg...tball-expansion-florida-state-acc-exit-rumors (SI; Parks)

Amid rumors and speculation that Florida State was interested in leaving the ACC at some point, and after the school's president admitted as much during a recent board meeting, all eyes are currently on the Seminoles to make the next move in college football conference realignment, according to insiders.

Florida State, like all other ACC schools, had until Aug. 15 to tell the conference if it wanted to leave by next summer, but now many inside the league are of the opinion that FSU will give the ACC notice of its intention to exit in time for 2025 in a matter of days or weeks, according to Sports Illustrated.

Florida State is not happy

It has been known for some time that Florida State, among others, was not pleased with the financial situation in the ACC. This offseason, it was revealed to be one of the so-called "Magnificent Seven" schools that were scouting a possible exit from the ACC's grant of rights agreement that expires in 2036.

The ACC responded by announcing a plan to direct revenue in a different way going forward, revealing an "incentive initiative" in the hopes that it would satisfy those schools. Judging by McCullough's comments, it doesn't appear that will be enough.

ACC Football: Preview and Predictions for 2023 Season (BR; Moriarty)

The 2023 college football season is just weeks away, and the ACC looks like it will have a couple of legitimate College Football Playoff contenders in Clemson and Florida State.
Playoff contenders aside, the league also features some talented quarterbacks, high-powered offenses and impressive defensive units.
Conference realignment rumors have been heating up within the last few weeks, as Cal and Stanford look like possible additions to the ACC. In 2023, it will include the usual teams like Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Duke, Louisville and others.

Let's preview the ACC for the 2023 season.

North Carolina QB Drake Maye

Drake Maye had a breakout season in his first year as the North Carolina starter in 2022. He finished with 4,321 yards passing with 38 touchdowns and seven interceptions, while adding 698 yards and seven touchdowns on the ground. His 5,019 yards of offense were first in the country.

In 2023, he might regress a bit—his offensive coordinator from last season, Phil Longo, is now with Luke Fickell at Wisconsin. He also lost leading receivers Josh Downs and Antoine Green to the NFL, and the NCAA denied the hardship waiver of Kent State transfer Devontez Walker to play for the Tar Heels this season, so guys such as Bryson Nesbit and J.J. Jones will need to step up.

Clemson QB Cade Klubnik, LB Jeremiah Trotter

After a season of mostly backing up DJ Uiagalelei last season, Cade Klubnik will be Clemson's starter for 2023.

Uiagalelei transferred to Oregon State following Clemson's 2022 ACC Championship game. Klubnik came off the bench for him against North Carolina in December and threw for 279 yards and a touchdown with another score on the ground.

Klubnik should thrive in new offensive coordinator Garrett Riley's scheme. A former 5-star recruit from Austin, Texas, he was 2022's No. 1 overall quarterback recruit.

On defense, Clemson returns its leading tackler in linebacker Jeremiah Trotter. He finished with 92 total tackles, 6.5 sacks and another six pass breakups. He'll lead a veteran linebacking corps in 2023, featuring the likes of Jalyn Phillips and Barrett Carter.

CBS Sports panel makes its 2023 ACC predictions (tigernet.com; Staff)

CBS Sports analysts broke down the Clemson versus Florida State debate and more for the 2023 ACC football race on Monday.

Five of the eight panelists pick Dabo Swinney's Tigers to take the ACC crown, while the remaining three pick Florida State to win its first conference title since 2014.

"(Garrett) Riley's hire sparks memories of what Chad Morris once did to bring a new energy to Clemson's offense," said CBS Sports' Chip Patterson. "I think it will certainly benefit (Cade) Klubnik as the former five-star prospect takes control of an offense that should be quarterback friendly and allow the Tigers' wide receiver room to step forward as well. Throughout these "down years" — with 12-straight double-digit win seasons, not making the playoff could be considered a down year, I suppose — the defense has remained strong. I think that group will maintain the standard thanks to the best linebacking corps in the conference and a disruptive interior defensive line.

"If the passing attack improves significantly, Clemson might not just be a conference champion but a legitimate playoff contender. Even if it's only marginal improvements, the Tigers are wellpositioned to win their eighth ACC title in a nine-year run."

On the panel, NC State has the most third-place votes (3), with UNC (2), Pitt (2) and Louisville (1) also garnering interest.

In the bold predictions category, one has FSU sweeping the season series with Clemson, and another has a major reversal of fortunes in Charlotte.

"The Seminoles are for real, and will prove it on Sept. 23 in a win over Clemson in Death Valley. They'll drop one game along the way but top the Tigers for a second time in the ACC Championship Game. That'll give them their first College Football Playoff appearance since 2014," Barrett Sallee said.

WOW! Are Stanford and Cal Headed To The ACC?? Get Ready!! (youtube.com; podcast; Talking College Football)

On this episode of Talking College Football with JJ Kitchen, JJ talks about Conference Realignment and the buzz and rumors about Stanford and Cal nearing the possibility of entering the ACC. As always you can find JJ on Twitter at JJ_Kitchen40. Please Subscribe, Comment, Like, and Share the video! JJ loves the conversation with everyone and hopes to hear from everyone.

Realignment Rumors 2023 Aug 21 (RX; HM)

Realignment Rumors 2023 Aug 21

BearGreg posted this on the BearInsider (Cal website):

Tuesday the 22nd looms as the day when the ACC may make an official vote

The economics are continuing to be negotiated. However, the Tweets and rumors that Stanford or anyone else will be taking no revenue are patently false. That's not to say that Cal and Stanford will get an equal share in year one as the discussion of what that number will be is likely what's holding up the proceedings at this point.

BGB: Best Team by State, 2023 Final Preseason (RX; HM)

BGB: Best Team by State, 2023 Final Preseason

Big Game Boomer is at it again... but this time, I think he got it right!

The Best College Football Team In Every State

(Final Pre-Season) pic.twitter.com/uzTFTp2wRK
— Big Game Boomer (@BigGameBoomer) August 21, 2023
Here's the breakdown of his picks for "best team" in each of the ACC footprint states:

MA - Boston College
NY - Syracuse
PA
- Penn State
KY - Louisville
VA - Virginia Tech
NC - Duke
SC - Clemson
GA
- Georgia
FL - Florida State

BONUS

IN - Notre Dame

2023 Preseason AP All-Americans (RX: HM)

2023 Preseason AP All-Americans

From Associated Press: 2023 Preseason AP All-America team

FIRST TEAM

OFFENSE

Quarterback — Caleb Williams, third-year, Southern California.
Running backs — Blake Corum, fourth-year, Michigan;
Quinshon Judkins, second-year, Mississippi.
Tackles — Joe Alt, third-year, Notre Dame;
Olu Fashanu, fourth-year, Penn State.
Guards — Cooper Beebe, fifth-year, Kansas State;
Zak Zinter, fourth-year, Michigan.
Center — Sedrick Van Pran, fourth-year, Georgia.
Tight end — Brock Bowers, third-year, Georgia.
Wide receivers — Marvin Harrison Jr., third-year, Ohio State;
Rome Odunze, fourth-year. Washington;
Emeka Egbuka, third-year, Ohio State.
All-purpose player — Travis Hunter, second-year, Colorado.
Kicker — Joshua Karty, fourth-year, Stanford.

DEFENSE

Edge rushers — Jared Verse, fourth-year, Florida State;
Bralen Trice, fifth-year, Washington.
Interior linemen — Jer’Zhan Newton, fifth-year, Illinois;
Dontay Corleone, third-year, Cincinnati.
Linebackers — Harold Perkins, second-year, LSU;
Jamon Dumas-Johnson, third-year, Georgia;
Tommy Eichenberg, fourth-year, Ohio State.
Cornerbacks — Kool-aid McKinstry, third-year, Alabama;
Kalen King, third-year, Penn State.
Safeties — Kam Kinchens, third-year, Miami;
Malaki Starks, second-year, Georgia.
Defensive back — Cooper DeJean, third-year, Iowa.
Punter — Tory Taylor, fourth-year, Iowa.

SECOND TEAM

OFFENSE

Quarterback — Drake Maye, third-year, North Carolina.
Running backs — Raheim Sanders, third-year, Arkansas;
Braelon Allen, third-year, Wisconsin.
Tackles — JC Latham, third-year, Alabama;
Kelvin Banks Jr., second-year, Texas.
Guards — Donovan Jackson, third-year, Ohio State;
Christian Mahogany, fifth-year, Boston College.
Center — Zach Frazier, fourth-year, West Virginia.
Tight end — Oronde Gadsden, third-year, Syracuse.

Quick Thought on the CFP: Is 6 champs too many? (RX; HM)

Quick Thought on the CFP: Is 6 champs too many?

The ESPN article CFP must be reconsidered amid realignment, SEC commish says pretty much states the obvious. If we were planning to set aside 6 spots for the highest-ranked conference champs before the Pac-12 was decimated, maybe we only need 5 now...?

FWIW, I totally agree. There is simultaneously a need for another at-large bid and one less autobid, and it would be disingenuous not to roll with the changes. In fact, I think you could make an argument for just 4 autobids now that the American Athletic has been knee-capped by the Big XII, too. There just aren't a lot of good teams outside of the top 4 conferences (SEC, B1G, ACC, and Big XII).

Every ACC program's true away record across the past 5 seasons - Saturday Road (saturdayroad.com; Friedlander)

We’ve already covered every ACC program’s home record across the past 5 seasons, but what about their records on the road? Wake Forest will kick off the 2023 ACC football schedule in their Thursday night game against Elon on August 31, followed closely by NC State/UConn.

Only 4 ACC programs are above .500 across the past 5 seasons on the road: Clemson, Pitt, Miami and Wake Forest. Clemson has the best road record in the ACC at 20-4 while Virginia sits at the bottom with a 6-17 record across the past 5 seasons.

This list only counts true road games, which means bowl games and other neutral site games are not reflected on the records below.

Here’s how the full list shakes out:

• Clemson: 20-4
  • Pitt: 15-11
  • Miami: 13-11
  • Wake Forest: 13-12
  • NC State: 10-15
  • North Carolina: 11-16
  • Boston College: 11-17
  • Virginia Tech: 10-16
  • Duke: 10-17
  • Syracuse: 9-17
  • Florida State: 9-17
  • Georgia Tech: 9-17
  • Louisville: 7-17
  • Virginia: 6-17
Ultimate College Football Preview: ACC (cbs8.com; podcast; Locked on the ACC)

Locked On gets ready for the college football season with a preview of the ACC.

Other

R46SGQPGLVFGNEW3P7ZDOR4HCI.JPG

The midway looked pre-pandemic during day 9 of New York State Fair, Syracuse, N.Y., Saturday Aug. 28, 2021. Scott Schild | sschild@syracuse.com Scott Schild | sschild@syracuse.com

Here’s everything you need to know for the 2023 NYS Fair: food, animals, rides, music, new attractions and more (PS; Baker)

It’s State Fair season here in Central New York.

The New York State Fair opens Wednesday, Aug. 23 at 9 a.m. It’ll run daily until Monday, Sept. 4 (Labor Day). Hundreds of thousands of people are expected to flood the fairgrounds in Geddes over those next two weeks.

Little has changed at this year’s fair, an event steeped in nostalgia and tradition. But there are a few new attractions on hand. Early visitors will find the Asian Village near Gate 4 with food, dances, and other entertainment. The village will be open from Aug. 23-26 only.

There’s also a new dinosaur exhibit coming to the cavernous Exposition Center at the west end of the fairgrounds.

A handful of food vendors will make their debut at the Fair, including places like Baga Bowls, Syracuse Halal and The Eatery Pub. Some others are skipping the festival this year, like Wrap It Up, the New York Brew Pub and the Baldwin Fund.

And, of course, prices are ticking upward. It’ll cost a few bucks more to park and enter the fair this year.

Here’s a rundown of everything you need to know if you’re headed to the Fair in the coming days or weeks.

How do I get tickets?

Entry to the fair is $6 for an adult. Seniors 65 and older get in free. So do kids 12 and under. You can buy tickets online in advance. You won’t be able to pay cash for tickets at the gate — you’ll need to purchase them on your phone, or using a kiosk at the gate. Your best bet? Get them ahead of time.

The fair is offering a new “frequent fairgoer” ticket this year. It’s $20 and gets you access every day.

There are a handful of special days and free admission days for people in certain groups (like military, law enforcement or Native American days).

Wristbands for rides on the Midway are also available online.

NYS Fair Food Hall of Fame #1: A ‘Syracuse thing’ known round the world (PS; Miller)

The menu at Sal Zazzara’s first State Fair food tent listed three items when it opened back in 1958: hot dogs, pizza and fried dough. For some reason, though, his customers bought just slices and hots. The fried dough flopped.

Perhaps it was because other vendors were selling funnel cakes and elephant ears, a more traditional fried dough at the time.

At his fourth Fair, in 1962, he and his brothers gave away samples of the hand-cut sugary donut-like bread. By the end of the first day, he saw something he hadn’t before seen at his tent: a line of customers. That line has only grown over the past 61 years. And that’s why Villa’s Pizze Fritte has grabbed the No. 1 spot in the New York State Fair Food Hall of Fame.

“There’s nothing like it anywhere else,” said Grazi Zazzara, Sal’s son who now runs the stand. “You can go all over the country ... no ... you can go all over the world and find people who know Pizze Fritte. This is a Syracuse thing that is known all over.”

Pizze Fritte

Grazi Zazzara and his Pizze Fritte booth at the New York State Fair. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

Over the past six decades, the 2-foot-long Pizze Fritte has become the iconic food of our Fair. For some fairgoers, it’s the first thing they get after walking through the gates. Others treat it as a nightcap for the the drive home. (And of course you get a few extras for breakfast the next day.)