Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
BladeHQ-National-Knife-Day-Deals-2023.jpg

Welcome to National Knife Day!

Grab or pull out your knives! Today we celebrate them, no matter their size, style, or brand! It is unknown who started National Knife Day or when they started it, but it was being celebrated by at least 2011. It is also unknown why the observance takes place on August 24, but one explanation appears to be that the date is connected to the Bowie knife. It was on this date in 1838 that Rezin Bowie, the brother of the knife's namesake, wrote a letter to the Planters' Advocate claiming he was the person who had created the knife.

SU News

2023 SU football predictions: Record, MVPs, NIL. Who must get paid to stay? (PS; $; Staff)

The Syracuse football team kicks off its season at 4 p.m. Sept. 2 when it hosts Colgate in the JMA Wireless Dome.

Can the Orange make a bowl game in back-to-back seasons for the first time under eighth-year coach Dino Babers?

Our football staff tackles this question and more in our annual season predictions.

SU record and bowl game

Brent Axe: 7-5; Military Bowl

If SU takes care of business in the first four winnable games, survives and manages to grab a win in the brutal Clemson-UNC-Florida State stretch, that leaves just two wins in the last five games to match this prediction. I think this team is more than capable of that.

Chris Carlson: 7-5; Military Bowl

With the Pinstripe Bowl/Yankee Stadium out of the picture because of last year’s visit and this season’s game at Yankee Stadium, Dino Babers will return to Syracuse next year on the heels of a visit to the Military Bowl.

Syracuse has a strong set of alumni in Washington D.C., and the school takes pride in its Military Times ranking as the No. 1 private school for veterans.

Emily Leiker: 7-5; Duke’s Mayo Bowl or Military Bowl

There are nine winnable games on Syracuse’s schedule, plus at least one solid chance at an upset.

That doesn’t mean I’m picking the Orange to go 9-3.

I think Syracuse makes it to 7-5, possibly dropping an unexpected game in the wake of the tough three-game stretch against the conference’s best (which it is likely to lose all of, though that doesn’t mean they can’t be close), and then another late in the season against a mid-tier opponent.

As for bowl game, it seems bowl selectors like to place Syracuse somewhere where there’s a storyline, like the return to Yankee Stadium last year. I could see them being placed in the Duke’s Mayo Bowl because of Garrett Shrader’s connection to Charlotte, or the Military Bowl, because of Dino Babers’ ties there.

Nate Mink: 6-6; Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl

There’s a scene in the HBO show “Succession” when the family patriarch bluntly tells the power-hungry kids: “You are not serious people.”

That about sums up this dour outlook, a result of the university balking at a contract extension for Babers after last year’s team started 6-0 for the first time in 35 years and again proved it can compete with the ACC champions.

Campus officials, board members and donors who think all is well in Orange land after a Christmastime bowl in New York should prepare to have their bedtime story disrupted.

Instead of proactively working to secure stability last October, SU stood pat, then saw half the coaching staff and top defensive talent bolt before the ball even kicked off in Yankee Stadium.

Veteran presence, young talent give SU newfound defensive line depth (DO; O'Brien)

Syracuse’s defensive line was mostly intact before it played Minnesota in the 2022 Pinstripe Bowl. Though the Orange missed Stefon Thompson due to a lower body injury, and lost starting defensive end Steve Linton to the transfer portal in early December, Caleb Okechukwu and Kevon Darton combined for five tackles against the Golden Gophers.

Now, heading into the 2023 season, the Orange have returned both Okechukwu and Darton with Chase Simmons and Terry Lockett set to back them up. Thompson has since recovered from his lower body injury too.

SU retained the services of Denis Jaquez Jr., who missed the latter half of last season due to an arm injury. Syracuse also picked up former Alabama lineman Braylen Ingraham in the transfer portal.

Freshmen Ty Gordon and Rashard Perry and sophomore Kevin Jobity Jr., among others, have impressed veterans in the unit throughout training camp. Lockett said he feels the Orange have a deep defensive line this year and many players are ready to get in-game experience. Syracuse head coach Dino Babers agreed.

“It’s better, way better,” Babers said of the defensive line’s depth. “I really think this is as deep as we’ve been in a long time.”

With many of the returning defensive linemen holding three or more seasons of experience, SU has a chance, once again, to place in the upper half of scoring defenses in the Atlantic Coast Conference. The unit also has potential to take pressure off some of the pass rushing linebackers like Thompson and Marlowe Wax.

“It’s definitely nice to have,” Okechukwu said. “Everybody’s here healthy and hopefully we have a whole year. I know if we have that, we’re going to be dangerous up front.”

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/football/syracuse-football-2023-depth-chart-predictions (SI; McAllister)

Training camp is wrapping up for Syracuse football and the Orange is starting to turn its focus to the season opener against Colgate. With that in mind, here is our prediction for what the two-deep depth chart will look like for that first game.

OFFENSE

PositionStarterBackup
QBGarrett ShraderCarlos Del Rio-Wilson
RBLeQuint AllenJuwaun Price
TEOronde GadsdenMax Mang
WRDamien AlfordDonovan Brown
WRIsaiah JonesUmari Hatcher
WRTrebor PenaD'Marcus Adams
LTEnrique CruzMark Petry
LGKalen EllisWes Hoeh
CJosh IlaoaJ'Onre Reed
RGChris BleichJakob Bradford
RTJoe MoreDavid Wohlabaugh

DEFENSE

PositionStarterBackup
DECaleb OkechukwuKevin Jobity
DTTerry LockettKevon Darton
DEDenis JaquezChase Simmons
LBStefon ThompsonLeon Lowery
LBMarlowe WaxMekhi Mason
LBDerek McDonaldKadin Bailey
CBIsaiah JohnsonJayden Bellamy
CBJeremiah WilsonQuan Peterson
SAlijah ClarkJaeden Gould
SJustin BarronMalcolm Folk
SJason SimmonsBralyn Oliver

SPECIAL TEAMS

PositionStarterBackup
KBrady DenaburgIan Hawkins
PJack StonehouseMax Von Marburg
LSEthan StangleMike Midkiff
HJustin BarronDan Villari
KRTrebor PenaD'Marcus Adams
PRTrebor PenaD'Marcus Adams

(youtube.com; podcast; Orange Zone)

The season's so close you can almost taste it and we're on the edge of our seats waiting for it to finally arrive. On this week's episode of "The Orange Zone Podcast" Tommy Sladek and Samantha Croston wrap up Syracuse football training camp with a final set of observations and their expectations for the upcoming season (02:40-16:36).

Meanwhile former Orange are coming down the home stretch of their first NFL training camps, and we're keeping close track of their progress as they look to make a name for themselves at the next level (16:36-20:40).

One rookie is in line to start Week one, and that's also the inspiration for Producer Brendon's trivia (20:41-23:34).

And we'd be remiss if we didn't mention the big moment for SU men's soccer. A pair of banners will be hoisted this week as they celebrate the program's first national championship (23:35-25:08).

Keeping Up With The 315 8-23-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian Higgins goes over the player he is most excited to watch this season for Syracuse football on offense, defense and special teams this season. Then, he reacts to some (more) breaking conference realignment news. Finally, Brian chats about how the league could maybe make FSU or Clemson happy.

Juwaun Price "The 315" 8-23-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Syracuse running back Juwaun Price chats with Brian Higgins about how he’s been working on his game so he’s ready for an enhanced role this season, why he transferred from New Mexico State to Syracuse and more.

The Garrett Shrader Mystery, O-Line Update + What Is Success In 2023? (youtube.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

On your Wednesday Episode of Locked On Syracuse, Owen Valentine is joined by Emily Leiker of Syracuse.com to continue breaking down Syracuse Football's preseason action. What is the latest on Garrett Shrader? Who are some new impact guys? What does success look like this season? You can find episodes of the Locked On Syracuse podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Audacy or wherever you get your podcasts. Please leave us a like and rating as we would leave to hear your feedback. Be sure to tell your friends if you enjoy the pod!

Axe: My key observations from Syracuse football training camp (podcast) (PS; podcast; Axe)

Syracuse football training camp is winding down and the 2023 season opener against Colgate is in sight.

Episode 4 of “Syracuse Sports” offers up my key observations from the last two days media members were allowed to peek behind the curtain.

I also chat with Mark Packer from the ACC Network on conference realignment, SU’s role in the ACC 10 years into the league and what he’s hearing about SU football.

In “One More Thing,” I’ll tell you why it doesn’t matter the Syracuse Mets are once again near the bottom of the Triple-A standings.

As always, we want to hear from you! If you have an idea for the show or a burning question you want answered, you can write me at baxe@syracuse.com and find me on Twitter/X @brentaxemedia or Threads @brent_axe.

The “Syracuse Sports” voicemail line is 315-552-1964. Leave us a message anytime and it could be featured on a future episode!

You can access the show on syracuse.com or listen on Spotify, YouTube and Apple.

Syracuse football needs success on front and back of schedule. (youtube.com; podcast; Lindsley)

Syracuse football needs success on front and back of schedule. #cuse #acc #syracusefootball #sports #sportsnews #football #footballshorts #syracuseuniversity #atlanticcoast

Episode 431- Syracuse Football: Orange Football Preview! (youtube.com; podcast; Cuse Militia)

Episode 431- Syracuse Football: Orange Football Preview!

Syracuse Football: Projecting the Orange’s record during the 2023 season (itlh; Adler)

It’s almost time for the Syracuse football 2023 season to get underway! I can’t wait, and I’ve seen a lot of my fellow Orange fans express excitement over the team’s prospects for the upcoming campaign.

The ‘Cuse will kick off its 2023 term when the Orange hosts fellow Central New York squad Colgate in early September. The Atlantic Coast Conference’s preseason media poll, released at the beginning of August, has Syracuse football projected to finish at No. 10 in the league.

Several other national pundits, in recent days, have also forecast the Orange to hover around the No. 10 spot in the ACC. I’m biased, but I think the ‘Cuse will fare better than these prognostications.

Our boys will take on several opponents that are ranked in the preseason top-25 polls, and the Orange does have a brutal stretch of games from late September until mid-October. As you’ll see below, I believe that the ‘Cuse will get to another bowl game in 2023.

Here is my projected 2023 record for Syracuse football.

2023 Schedule

Saturday, Sept. 2
vs. Colgate (Patriot League)

Record last year: 3-8
Preseason top-25 rankings: NA
Projected conference finish: No. 3

My prediction: The Orange will easily dispatch of Colgate in the season opener.

Saturday, Sept. 9
vs. Western Michigan (Mid-American Conference)

Record last year: 5-7
Projected conference finish: No. 6 in West Division

My prediction: Another relatively “easy” win for the ‘Cuse.

Saturday, Sept. 16
at Purdue (Big Ten Conference)

Record last year: 8-6
Projected conference finish: No. 6 in West Division

My prediction: This one is a toss-up to me. The Orange snuck by Purdue at home last year. It’s always tough to knock off a Big Ten foe on the road, however, the Boilermakers aren’t expected to be among the Big Ten’s elite in 2023. I’ll go with the ‘Cuse to defeat Purdue away from the Hill.

Saturday, Sept. 23
vs. Army (Independent)

Record last year: 6-6
Projected conference finish: NA

My prediction: Army shouldn’t be overlooked here, but I’ve got Syracuse football besting the Black Knights to move to 4-0 in the non-conference portion of the 2023 stanza.

Saturday, Sept. 30
vs. Clemson (ACC)

Record last year: 11-3
Preseason top-25 rankings: No. 9 in both AP and Coaches top-25 polls
Projected conference finish: No. 1

My prediction: Man, those Tigers. In 2022, the Orange was 6-0, ranked in the top 15 and had Clemson on the ropes in Death Valley. But the ‘Cuse couldn’t seal the deal. Syracuse football often plays the Tigers tough, and call me crazy (and some folks will), but I like the Orange to upset Clemson inside a rocking JMA Wireless Dome.

Why Syracuse football will finish 6-6 in 2023 (TNIAAM; Haller)

I’m not quite sure what this record would bring in the grand scheme of things. 6-6 can mean a lot of different things on the “look test” and that would determine the trajectory of a bowl eligible Orange coming out of this year.

Colgate Raiders - Win (1-0, 0-0)

Dino actually gives his starters some rest in a blowout win in the Dome opener. Colgate doesn’t have remotely the legs to keep up with LeQuint Allen and company and the Orange head back to South Campus having taken care of business.

Western Michigan Broncos- Win (2-0, 0-0)

Looking comfortable again, Syracuse relatively walks to a win in this one. The starters come in after the half for a token performance, but a breakout day for Isaiah Jones cements his chemistry with Garrett Shrader and Carlos Del-Rio Wilson closes this one out.

at Purdue Boilermakers-Loss (2-1, 0-0)

One of the first tossups on the schedule, the trip out to Indiana doesn’t go well for the Orange. They hang in there for most of the game, but Devin Mockobee ends up breaking a late run on a gassed Orange defense to put the nail in the coffin against the Orange.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...season-record-predictions-odds-august-23-2023 (SI; Lammey)

The Syracuse Orange football team is coming off one of their best seasons in school history, as they nearly cracked the top 10 in the rankings. If not for an untimely injury to QB Garrett Shrader, followed by a few other significant starters, they likely would have broken that threshold. Regardless, last season has made the Syracuse Orange win total a hot topic heading into the new season.

Therefore, our experts have provided their best Syracuse Orange predictions, and we’ll break them down paired with a $1,000 PointsBet sign-up bonus.

Syracuse Orange NCAAF Season Record & Schedule Predictions

As mentioned, the Orange are coming off an incredible season that was derailed nearly entirely due to injuries. However, hopes are still high in Syracuse. That’s because Shrader will be back in action.

The QB is returning for his senior year, which means another undefeated start to the year is in play. It certainly helps that the Orange get the season started with back-to-back home games against lesser opponents. That’s just the start to locking in our Syracuse Orange predictions based on the Syracuse Orange win total, so let’s get into our full analysis.

Syracuse University Football Win Total & Win-Loss Record Predictions for 2023-24

The Orange get their season started with a matchup against Colgate. Fans should feel confident in Shrader and company beginning the year with a victory, as they’re expected to be such heavy favorites that lines are not even currently available. It may not be the 59-0 thrashing they put on Wagner to end last year, but Colgate simply isn’t on the same tier as Syracuse.

They follow that up with a matchup against Western Michigan - a MAC team - at home, that we’re projecting them to win. Then comes their first road game, which is a step up in competition against Purdue. Although a close one, it was a game Syracuse won last season. With a home game against Army in Week 4, the Orange have every opportunity to begin the year 4-0.

Then, the gauntlet ensues. It begins with a game against Clemson, which many analysts may quickly write off as a loss. However, let’s not forget that the Orange went into the Tigers home last season, was leading 21-10 at halftime and it was only a devastating fourth quarter that saw them fall in the end.

Following that Clemson matchup, the gauntlet continues with UNC, Florida State and Virginia Tech on the road. A single win in that four-game stretch would be huge, as the Orange finish out the year with Boston College, Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech and Wake Forest. Those are all winnable games, and as long as they don’t lose more than two of them, they should be perfectly set up for a seven-win season.

Can Drake Maye lead UNC football back to ACC championship? Our game-by-game predictions (fayobserver.com; Baxley)

UNC football has a neutral-site opener to start a four-game stretch that could define the Tar Heels’ 2023 season.

Following a tough nonconference start, head coach Mack Brown’s squad enters league play and caps its regular season with road games at Clemson and NC State.

UNC will start the year at No. 21 in the AP Top 25 poll. Here are game-by-game predictions for the 2023 Tar Heels football season:

Sept. 2: vs. South Carolina in Charlotte

Last season: Did not play. South Carolina went 8-5.

The buzz: College GameDay chose this matchup as its site for the opening week of the season. Drake Maye and Spencer Rattler should put on a show in Bank of America Stadium, a place both could be playing at as NFL quarterbacks one day. But the Gamecocks have won four of the last five in the series.

The pick: South Carolina wins, 31-30

Sept. 9 vs. App State

Last season: UNC won, 63-61

The buzz: The 2022 meeting was one of the wackiest games of the season. The Mountaineers won 34-31 at Kenan Stadium in 2019, but the Tar Heels have the pieces to enjoy a comfortable home opener against an in-state opponent.

The pick: UNC wins, 40-21

Sept. 16 vs. Minnesota

Last season: Did not play. Minnesota went 9-4.

The buzz: This will be the first meeting between the programs. The Golden Gophers have logged a winning record in four of the last five seasons, with four bowl victories. But I think they’ll have trouble slowing down Maye at home.

The pick: UNC wins, 31-24

Sept. 23 at Pitt

Last season: UNC won, 40-24

The buzz: The first true road game for the Tar Heels comes at a place where they’ve struggled in recent years. UNC hasn’t won at Pitt since 2017, with the Panthers earning two victories in that stretch. It’s a tough start to the ACC schedule.

The pick: Pitt wins, 28-27

Oct. 7 vs. Syracuse

Last season: Did not play. Syracuse went 7-6.

The buzz: The Tar Heels cruised to a 31-6 win at Kenan Stadium the last time they played the Orange. Following an open week, UNC will build confidence on both sides of the ball.

The pick: UNC wins, 38-20

Oct. 14 vs. Miami

Last season: UNC won, 27-24

The buzz: This should be another quarterback duel between Maye and Miami’s Tyler Van Dyke. Three of the last four games in the series were decided by a field goal. UNC adds another close win here.

The pick: UNC wins, 32-28

https://syracuse./news/quarterbacks-2023-syracuse-football-preview (r1vals.com; Stechschulte)

Garrett Shrader
saw his statistical production move in opposite ways last season after taking over the starting role in 2021. Shrader came close to doubling his passing yardage, jumping from 1,445 yards to 2,640, in large part due to his completion percentage jumping from 52.6 percent to 64.7 percent. Even better was that his increased accuracy was coupled with a jump in production, as his yards per pass attempt jumped from 6.18 to 8.33, an increase of nearly 35 percent. The senior also had a tidy 17-to-7 touchdown-to-interception ratio.

Shrader’s production with his legs went in the opposite direction, however, as he slid from 781 rushing yards, 4.5 yards per carry, and 14 touchdowns to 453 yards, 3.0 yards per carry, and nine scores. Part of that was due to suffering a leg injury late in the season. While Shrader only missed one-and-a-half games, the lingering effects submarined his ground game.

In his last five games of the season, including the Notre Dame game in which he was injured, Shrader had 51 carries for 73 yards, averaging 1.4 yards per carry. Prior to the injury, the quarterback toted the ball 99 times for 371 yards, averaging 3.8 yards per rush.

Shrader’s health is paramount for the success of the Orange. In addition to keeping his rushing ability available, Shrader is on a “pitch count” in preseason camp following offseason surgery on his right elbow that shelved him during spring practice. Expect the coaching staff to protect Shrader during practice into the season, as well, to preserve him for games. This is Shrader’s team and its success relies upon his availability.

Carlos Del Rio-Wilson should be the backup again this year after he spelled Shrader last season. Del Rio-Wilson saw action in seven games last season, but the overwhelming majority of his snaps came in the second half against Notre Dame after Shrader’s injury and the following week against Pittsburgh. The redshirt sophomore finished the season 22-of-51 through the air for 342 yards with a touchdown and a pair of interceptions.

https://syracuse./news/running-backs-2023-syracuse-football-preview (r1vals.com; Stechschulte)

Sean Tucker
is off to the NFL, taking almost 3,200 rushing yards and 31 total touchdowns with him. A good sign for the Orange was LeQuint Allen seemed to pass his audition to fill Tucker’s cleats last December.
Allen appeared in every game last season, showing a knack for big plays during spot duty during the regular season and an ability to handle an every-down role in the Pinstripe Bowl.
His first explosive play was a 90-yard run against Wagner early in the season, then Allen added a 33-yard touchdown pass and a 41-yard scoring reception against Wake Forest.

After averaging 6.7 yards per carry during the regular season, Allen took over the lead back duties against Minnesota, turning 15 carries into 94 yards and snared 11 passes for 60 yards. The starting role should be his to lose.
Juwaun Price is the only other running back who had a carry last season, getting eight rush attempts for 39 yards. Price rolled up 900 yards and 11 touchdowns over a couple seasons at his first collegiate stop with New Mexico State and is expected to handle the primary backup duties.
Behind Price is a slew of new faces on the roster. Junior college transfer J.J. Branham is more of a thumper while freshmen Ike Daniels and Muwaffaq Parkman profile as speedier options.

https://syracuse./news/tight-ends-2023-syracuse-football-preview (r1vals.com; Stechchulte)

While he may be undersized or at least significantly lighter than a typical tight end, Oronde Gadsden II’s production was anything but light.
Gadsden proved to be a mismatch for most Syracuse opponents, as he rolled up 61 receptions for 969 yards and six touchdowns to pace the Orange last season.
While he did suffer through a couple off games in early November, Gadsden was a consistent threat, posting at least four catches and 66 receiving yards in nine contests last season.
Gadsden was named First Team All-ACC tight end prior to this season and to multiple national award watch lists, as well.

Maximilian Mang fills the blocking tight end spot for SU, appearing at the position in every game over the last two seasons. Mang was a minor contributor in the pass game last season, catching five passes.
There is some interest beyond those top two at the position.
Steven Mahar Jr. suffered a torn ACL in preseason camp and will miss the season, but Dan Villari, a former quarterback who transferred to the Orange from Michigan and converted to the position last year, started the final three games last season.
Freshman David Clement, who missed his senior year of play in high school due to injury, was enrolled at Syracuse for this past spring semester and is a very intriguing prospect at 6’6” and 275 pounds.

Syracuse Football: Is it possible for Cuse to win the ACC championship? (itlh; Fiello)

Once upon a time, this young blogger used to contribute Syracuse football articles occasionally to the Troy Nunes is an Absolute Magician blog as well as trying to establish my own blog. They’re a huge reason I wanted to try blogging, especially at the encouragement of founder Sean Keeley.

I bring all this up because annually about this time of year, they do a joint series of posts breaking down different record scenarios for the team, from worst to best. It’s not to be pessimistic or anything but simply discuss various scenarios that could lead to certain outcomes.

And I’m a fairly positive guy so I always liked the latter ones with the better records. I do so because, in my head, I don’t doubt my favorite team and have a belief they can win any game they play.

So it shouldn’t surprise anyone if I tell you right now that not to take away from their posts or steal their idea, I think there is a likely scenario where the Orange can win the ACC championship in football. I’m not saying take your paycheck to a gambling site and bet on me but I think it’s important to not count them out, too.

Some will see this as “fan fiction” but I plan to actually show a way this can happen. I don’t automatically think Syracuse football will win or lose any game because there are always things that can happen but here is my positive yet likely possible response to how it can happen.

Syracuse football: Orange in the NFL update (TNIAAM; Wall)

The NFL preseason is halfway done so let’s check in on some former Syracuse Orange players as they attempt to make the final 53-man rosters. Here are some updates from the last week:

Matthew Bergeron (Atlanta Falcons) appears to have a starting job secured. The 2nd-round pick should open as Atlanta’s left guard.

Riley Dixon (Denver Broncos) - Dixon delivered a 60.3 yard average on his four kicks on the road against the San Francisco 49ers. Probably excited that Denver is wearing Syracuse uniforms this season.

Sean Tucker (Tampa Bay Buccaneers) - Tucker started off slow in his first action as he 6 carries for 10 yards and 1 reception for 3 yards. However, he got a chance earlier this weekend and he delivered 7 carries for 37 yards and 3 receptions for 18 yards. Orange fans have seen this before.

Firmly believe that Sean Tucker should be RB2, if not 1B, to Rachaad White in TB.

Does a phenomenal job being patient then exploding past a tackle to gain chunk yardage.

Performed well in clutch moments today, including getting 15 on a 3rd-and-16 play, then converted 4th down. pic.twitter.com/KI9nBTpgVi
— Jeff Mueller, PT, DPT (@jmthrivept) August 20, 2023

Tommy DeVito (New York Giants) - 24/35 for 233 yards, 1 touchdown and 1 interception in his two preseason appearances. DeVito’s putting himself in position to land a practice squad spot somewhere in the NFL this season.

ACC News

ACC seriously considering adding Stanford, Cal, SMU (theathletic.com; $; Auerbach)

The ACC is seriously considering adding Stanford, Cal and SMU, multiple sources briefed on the discussions said Wednesday. There have been discussions periodically over the past month. Here’s what you need to know:
  • A group of ACC presidents met Wednesday morning to discuss finances, one of the sources said. Another set of presidents is expected to meet separately as a small group later this week, and there is a meeting of the league’s athletic directors expected as well.
  • The ACC had a number of meetings this month to discuss expansion and sift through the financial details that could make it possible, but it has not yet conducted a formal vote amid pushback from within the league.
  • The conference needs 12 of 15 member schools to vote “yes” in order to add any new members. Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina and NC State opposed the additions of Cal and Stanford when the league presidents met two weeks ago to take a straw poll.

What hurdles remain?

There are multiple financial models still under consideration, the sources said, as ESPN first reported. And that’s where the key to final approval will be. SMU is willing to join the ACC and accept no media rights revenue for seven years, and Stanford and Cal are willing to join as partial members.

Because ESPN has a pro rata clause with the ACC, the league would be paid out for full shares for each addition. If that money is pooled after paying out the partial shares to the Bay Area schools, it allows the ACC to bring in new, additional revenue that it can disperse however it chooses.

The expectation, sources said this week, is that the money would be dispersed based on performance. So, football success would drive additional revenue. This has been a sticking point among the four dissenting schools. Florida State and Clemson have been particularly vocal about falling behind their peers in the SEC and Big Ten over the next decade, believing that they need to close a gap that could stretch to $30 million on an annual basis in media rights payouts. A performance-based model for the additional revenue gained by expansion could help.

Two of the sources said they believed the ACC is closer to adding the three schools than it has been at any point this month, and that a final decision could be made by the weekend.

Stanford, Cal seek salvation: ACC invitations, or rejections, should come soon (seattletimes.com; Wilner)

The fate of the Stanford and Cal athletic departments is expected to be decided by early next week, and possibly in the next 72 hours, as the schools anxiously await invitations from the ACC.

Adrift for 19 days following the collapse of the Pac-12, the Cardinal and Bears have experienced fits and starts in their ongoing pursuit of shelter in a conference based in the Eastern Time Zone.

The Bay Area schools are being considered for membership in the ACC starting next summer along with SMU, which is located in Dallas.

Among the many unknowns: Which Olympic sports teams would compete in the ACC alongside the football and basketball programs?

“It looks like it’s happening,” an industry source with knowledge of the ACC’s plans, said Wednesday.

However, the source cautioned that the apparent momentum for Stanford and Cal could disappear quickly — such is the deeply complicated, highly fluid nature of conference realignment. The schools were optimistic last week, as well, only to have obstacles surface within the ACC’s power structure.

To gain admittance, Stanford and Cal would need approval from 12 of the ACC’s 15 schools. Thus far, four have stood in opposition: North Carolina, N.C. State, Clemson and Florida State.

What could prompt at least one to switch positions? Money.

Stanford and Cal have offered to join the ACC at discounts — they would not receive full annual revenue shares from the conference’s media rights deal with ESPN. That would create additional cash, from a pool of money generated by expansion, for the ACC’s existing schools. (SMU has offered to join with no media revenue for a number of years, according to ESPN).

The ACC presidents are expected to discuss the situation Thursday, according to Yahoo.

ACC progressing toward westward expansion with Stanford, Cal, SMU potential targets, AP source says (apnews.com; Russo)

The Atlantic Coast Conference is making progress toward an expansion that could grab Stanford and California from the sinking Pac-12, a person with direct knowledge of the ACC’s potential move told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the conference was not making its internal discussions public.

“It’s gaining momentum,” the person said about the possibility of expansion being approved.

Two weeks ago, the ACC got so far as to gather its entire board of university leaders twice in three days to consider adding Stanford, Cal and possibly SMU, the Dallas-based American Athletic Conference school. They never took an official vote, knowing they would not have had the necessary 12 of 15 votes for expansion to be approved.

How new revenue generated by adding members to the conference would be distributed has been a sticking point for several schools, among them Florida State, Clemson and North Carolina.

But expansion was never a dead issue.

The person said Commissioner Jim Phillips has continued to work on a revenue distribution model that would direct a large portion of the money ESPN would pay the conference to cover three new members to a pool that pays out performance-based bonuses.

The person said the league was trying to arrange a meeting of its athletic directors for Thursday, but there was no meeting of the full board of presidents and chancellors yet scheduled.

ACC AD speaks on conference expansion, possible changes to College Football Playoff (youtube.com; podcast; Ovies & Giglio)

#WakeForest AD John Currie joined Ovies and Giglio to discuss the tumultuous summer within the #ACC but an outstanding year for the Demon Deacons. What's the sell for Stanford and Cal to be part of conference expansion? Does he agree with #SEC commish Greg Sankey on changing the #collegefootball playoff format?

ACC EXPANDING⁉ Cal, Stanford & SMU named in conference realignment report | College Football Live (youtube.com; podcast; ESPN)

The College Football Live crew consider the additions of the California Golden Bears, Stanford Cardinal and SMU Mustangs potentially joining the ACC before debating whether the College Football Playoff will see new teams and if the Pac-12 will provide the most dramatic games of the season.

ACC expansion: Conference renews discussions to add Stanford, California, SMU at reduced price, per reports (cbssports.com; Jeyarajah)

The ACC has renewed conversations of adding California, Stanford and SMU, according multiple reports. There is renewed optimism that Cal and Stanford can make a deal with the ACC, sources subsequently told CBS Sports' Matt Norlander.

A group of ACC presidents met Wednesday morning to discuss potential financial models that could make sense. If admitted, the schools would come at a far lower price point: Cal and Stanford would receive an equal lesser shares, while SMU is supposedly willing to abstain from media payouts for up to seven years, per ESPN.

The addition of three schools would unlock further compensation from television partners, according to ESPN. But with the three potential additions willing to take less money -- one of them none at all -- additional funds could therefore be distributed to existing members. The ACC distributed nearly $40 million per school for the 2022 calendar year, and numbers should continue to go up with escalators in the league's lengthy television contract with ESPN.

Several ACC schools have been openly lobbying for additional revenue pathways in recent months after the Big Ten and SEC signed massive new television contracts. The ACC previously endorsed an incentive-based initiative to reward high-achieving programs with additional revenue based on postseason success. The details are still being worked out, but the incentive programs is expected to start in 2024-25, the first year of the expanded College Football Playoff.

https://www.si.com/college/cal/news/acc-cal-stanford-football-hoops-only (SI; Curtis)

The latest twist in the possibility that Cal and Stanford could join the Atlantic Coast Conference is provided by Mike Silver, who reports that the ACC might consider adding Cal and Stanford in football and basketball only.

Also, Nicole Auerbach of The Athletic is reporting that the ACC is believed to be closer to adding Cal, Stanford and SMU than it was before, and that a final decision could be coming in a few days.

And this from Pete Thamel of ESPN, also suggesting Cal and Stanford are very much in the picture for the ACC:

PREVIEWING Clemson, Florida State, Miami Football | ACC Analyst on 2023 CFB Season (youtube.com; podcast; On3)

PREVIEWING Clemson, Florida State, Miami Football | ACC Analyst on 2023 CFB Season

Rx: How to Get Expansion Approved (RX; HM)

Rx: How to Get Expansion Approved

I have a guaranteed way to get the votes to add Stanford, Cal, and SMU. Want to know what it is? Read on...

Did you ever see the movie "Ransom"? It's been on televsion many times. It's about a rich man whose son was kidnapped, and of course they demanded a ransom. He knew the odds weren't great of ever seeing his son alive again, so he decided to try a different strategy: he put a multi-million dollar bounty on the heads of the kidnappers, which he would also pay if his son was returned safely. That made it a race against time: will the kidnappers return his son safe, or will a bounty hunter kill the kidnappers first? In the end, one of the kidnappers killed the other and returned the boy for the money.

Using that same basic strategy of pitting the kidnappers against each other, it's time for the other 11 ACC teams to pit the 4 who have kidnapped expansion against themselves. Here's how I propose doing it:

1. Set aside $12 million per year (of the estimated $72 million the ACC will pocket during the 7-year reduced share period) as a "bounty" of sorts.

2. Tell the 4 "No" voters that the $12M/year will be split among the ones who flip their vote to "Yes" (provided no one else flips to "No", of course - it has to pass).
If just one team flips, congratulations - they get an extra $12M every year for the next 7 years!

If two teams flip their votes, they split it $6M/year each.

If three teams flip, they each get a cool $4M/year extra.

If all four flip, it's still an extra $3M/year each.

Rivalry Reignited (RX; HM)

Rivalry Reignited

From Fansided:

3 college football rivalries that will be reignited this season

1. NC State at Duke (Oct. 14)

The first pick on our list is Week 7’s NC State-Duke, where the Wolfpack is supposed to trek into Durham to take on one of its least-favorite schools in league play. But while that introduction may sound promising, Duke is always a problematic name to hear in instances such as these.
Typically, the minute the Blue Devils come up in a sports discussion that isn’t basketball-related, nausea sets in for many—particularly when the sport in question is football, a game they’re known for sucking at. However, for those who know the circumstances of their rivalry with the Wolfpack (both historical and present), there is actually much more to it than meets the eye.
For starters, let’s take a look at the history shared between the in-state foes. Of the six rivalries split amongst the four “Tobacco Road” universities (Duke, North Carolina, NC State and Wake Forest), the one between the Devils and Pack is easily the closest, with the former holding a narrow four-game edge (41-37-5, with the second-closest being between them and the Demon Deacons at 59-41-2).
As for how the two ACC powers sit right now, NC State is coming off of an 8-5 run while Duke is coming off of a slightly superior 9-4 one. This only makes the pair’s encounters all the more captivating, as it means they come in with decently high expectations, possibly making things more interesting for what would normally be any uninvolved college football fans out there.
Yet through it all, in spite of the closeness visible through their geographical and competitive ties, this season will be only the second to include their rivalry since 2013. That is simply unacceptable; especially if both squads can remain as successful as they’ve been lately, the clash between the Blue Devils and Wolfpack is one that we should have the privilege of witnessing far more frequently than twice per decade.
Luckily for us, the ACC’s new, non-divisional scheduling format has made that change for the coming years, starting with this one—better late than never, I suppose.

Of course I'd like to add to that, so here's my list of some other semi-dormant ACC rivalries "reignited" this year:

Cincinnati at Pitt (Sept. 9th)
Last time played: 2012 (UC won 34-10)
Was annual from 2005 to 2012; is a trophy game

NC State at Virginia (Friday, Sept. 22nd)
Last time played (non-pandemic): 2018 (NC State won 38-21)
Was annual from 1960 to 2003

Virginia Tech at Florida State (Oct. 7th)
Last time played: 2018 (VT won 24-3)
Met in ACC CG in 2005 and 2010
Was an annual game from 1955 to 1980.

Boston College at Pitt (Thurs., Nov. 16th)
Last time played: 2019 (BC won 26-19)
Only played twice since 2004 (when BC joined the ACC).

2023 CFB Report Preseason Top 40 (RX; HM)

2023 CFB Report Preseason Top 40

This is what CFB Report thinks of ACC football...

Our Final College Football Preseason Rankings pic.twitter.com/rLQAXLkPLU
— College Football Report (@CFBRep) August 23, 2023
...just 5 teams in the Top 40?

SEC: 10 teams
B1G: 7 teams
Pac-12: 6 teams
ACC: 5 teams
Big XII: 5 teams
All Other: 7 teams

The only ACC teams they put in the Top 40 were Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, Duke and Louisville. Meanwhile, they ranked Tulane, Texas Tech, Kansas State, South Carolina, BYU, Maryland, Auburn, Kentucky, Illinois, South Alabama, Boise State, UTSA, Troy, and FAU ahead of ACC programs like Pitt, NC State, Miami, and Wake Forest.

#Disrespect

2023 Best Unranked (preseason) (RX; HM)

2023 Best Unranked (preseason)

Just because you start the season unranked doesn't mean you have to end it that way.

Unranked Teams Most Likely to Finish Ranked in College Football (2023)

1 Miami Hurricanes
2 Missouri Tigers
3 Kansas Jayhawks
4 Texas Tech Red Raiders
5 Virginia Tech Hokies
6 West Virginia Mountaineers
7 Pitt Panthers
8 Auburn Tigers
9 Boise State Broncos
10 Minnesota Gophers pic.twitter.com/2Oz6VvW2lb
— College Football Blue Bloods (@bluebloodsbias) August 23, 2023

Unranked ACC teams most likely to finish in the Top 25 include:
Miami Hurricanes - Sooner or later they have to come back, right?
Virginia Tech Hokies - ok, I fully expect VT to go to a bowl, but Top 25 might be a bit much to ask.
Pitt Panthers - 2022 was a rebuilding year for Pitt, who finished 9-4 and ranked #22.

CFB analyst bold prediction Miami Hurricanes leave ACC by 2026 (caneswarning.com; Rubenstein)

In the CBS Sports “ACC expert picks 2023: Most overrated and underrated teams, projected order of finish, bold predictions” college sports analyst Jerry Palm stated the Clemson Tigers, Florida State Seminoles and Miami Hurricanes will leave the ACC by 2026 setting the impetus for the next round of conference realignment.

Florida State will remain in the ACC through at least the 2024-25 school year after the August 15 deadline of an intention to leave the conference in 2024 passed. Miami Hurricanes athletic director Dan Radakovich told ESPN earlier this month that it is in the best interests of the ACC to stay together.

Radakovich left Clemson for Miami in December 2021. Florida President Richard McCullough and Athletic Director Michael Alford have been very vocal about what they see as an unfair financial distribution model in the ACC. Florida State believes that they produce far more money for the ACC than it receives.

Radakovich has taken a more equitable view and what is in the best interests of the ACC as well as Miami. There have been reports that Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina, Miami, North Carolina State, Virginia and Virginia Tech met to determine a potential new financial distribution model for the ACC.

Florida State, Clemson, Miami, and Virginia Tech leaving the ACC before 2036 is inevitable, and the seismic changes in college football are not over. The next major collapse is on the way. Do you want to bitch and moan about the next collapse coming, cry about it, or accept the… pic.twitter.com/0O5JWrIowb
— Big Ten information. College football fan (@Genetics56) August 15, 2023

Jerry Palm: Clemson, Florida State and Miami, at a minimum, will leave the ACC but not before the 2026 season. That will be the impetus for the next round of realignment.

Predicting what will happen three years out in conference realignment is definitely a bold prediction. A year ago, no one could have projected the chaos this summer let alone three years from now. The ACC will likely have to renegotiate its TV contract to stay together. The ACC grant of rights runs through 2036.

Other

PZCX5ALODRCB3LMV4VVGTTZTTQ.jpg

Fruit and yogurt bowl from Bagabowl at the New York State Fair.

11+ ways to do breakfast at the 2023 New York State Fair (PS; $; Stevenson & Ditota)

Wakey, wakey, eat eggs and bacy (bacon): a day at the New York State Fair shouldn’t be started on an empty stomach.

Here’s a list of morning meals, both savory and sweet, to try at this year’s Fair.

Breakfast Burrito

Who: Bosco’s at the Fair
Where: Restaurant Row
How much: $10
What it’s like: Eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes and American cheese are all wrapped together in the burrito, literally. The hearty, garlicky and peppery breakfast burrito is a nice contrast to the French Toast Sticks.

Hidden gems of the NYS Fair: 5 things you didn’t even know you needed to try (PS; Miller)

You can find almost any type of food and drinks at the New York State Fair. But finding something good that’s also unique, a bargain and unknown is a little tougher. That’s where we come in.

Reporters Charlie Miller and Annie Hayes spent Opening Day roaming the Fairgrounds looking for some hidden gems. Here are a few of our State Fair diamonds in the rough.

Banh Mi and Boneless Wings

Hidden Gems of the 2023 State Fair

The banh Mi from Dang's Cafe is among the hidden gems at the New York State Fair. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

Who: Dang’s Cafe
Where: The Eatery Building
How much: $5 boneless wings and $13 banh mi
What’s it’s like: We came to Dang’s Cafe knowing that the banh mi was stellar but were pleasantly taken aback by the boneless wings.

The 8 heartiest sandwiches we found at the 2023 New York State Fair (PS; $; Carlson)

It’s just two slices of bread and some fillings, right? Wrong. The sandwich is a go-to food for diners on-the-go at the New York State Fair. It’s walkable, versatile, and there’s no shortage of options, from spicy bahn mi to a steak sandwich.

Here’s a look at some of the fair’s best sandwiches (and we were generous with what defines a sandwich):

Banh Mi

Who: Vietnamese Vegetarian Cuisine
Where: Asian Village
How much: $12
What’s it like: If you’re a repeat visitor to the Fair, you might feel the need, or at least benefit from, adding some vegetables to the four traditional food groups: meat, bread, sugared and fried. If so, the Bahn Mi at one of the Fair’s newest spaces is a great deal. You can enjoy a full sub roll full of vermicelli noodles, sliced cucumbers, sliced carrots, taro and jicama. It’s enough to fill you up, without over-filling you, and you’ll be refreshed by the brightness and snap of the vegetables.

Turkey BBQ Sandwich

Who: Hickory Tree Turkey BBQ
Where: Just outside the Expo Center on the midway
How much: $10.50 or $15 with fries
What’s it like: If, like Jules Winnfield (Samuel L. Jackson’s character in Pulp Fiction) you don’t eat pig, this is a good stop for you. The soul food stand advertises its cracklin-topped crack-n-cheese as its specialty but the stand does a solid turkey-based version of a pulled pork sandwich. While the turkey doesn’t have quite the flavor of pork the pulled texture gives you the same experience and, if you pile it high with barbecue sauce and cole slaw, you’re barely going to miss it. It’s a walkable item that can be bought with or without fries.

Grilled Prime Rib Sandwich with onions

Who: Bosco’s at the Fair
Where: Between the goat, llama and swine barn and the horse barn
How much: $16 (mushrooms and cheddar cheese sauce $1 extra)
What’s it like: Bosco’s claims the sandwich is famous and it’s not hard to see why. This was like eating a prime rib while strolling the fair. It wasn’t exactly steakhouse thick, but the sandwich included included two hearty pieces of meat that were surprisingly tender given the location and price. They even came with the fat cap that was cooked nicely and gave off a deliciously grilled taste. I ate sitting down so I don’t quite understand the need for the sub roll, but I suppose that’s what makes it walkable.

7 seafood spots at the NYS Fair: Where to find lobster, fried fish, clams and ...shark? (PS; $; Moriarty & Croyle)

Italian sausage sandwiches, gyros filled with beef and lamb, chicken tenders from Tully’s, and hot dogs and hamburgers are some of the most popular staples at the New York State Fair. But what about those of us looking for something from under the sea? Take a break landlubbers, here are some of the fish and seafood tastes we found on our tour of the State Fairgrounds on opening day.

Maine Lobster Roll

Who: Bold Coast Lobster Co.
Where: In front of Dairy Products building
How much: $21 (cash and credit card)
What’s it like: The lobster meat came on a fresh, toasted and buttered bun with a lemon wedge. The lobster was meaty and plentiful. Just what you want from a lobster roll.

Scallop Portion

Who: Doug’s Fish Fry
Where: In the back of the Horticulture Building
How much: $21.75 (cash and credit card)
What’s it like: The scallops came piping hot and were nice and tender. The portion size was OK, but you might not find it a completely satisfying lunch. If you’re hungry, go for the scallop dinner, which costs $29.50 and comes with the same amount of scallops but includes fries and cole slaw. Warning: Service at Doug’s was awfully slow. The three gentlemen behind the counter were working very hard, but it took almost half an hour for us to get our scallops after ordering.

Last edited:
That depth chart seems a bit off.

Don't get me wrong, Mike McCallister is fantastic. But no Joe Cruz on the two deep?