Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
giphy.gif

Welcome to National STEM Day!

National STEAM Day is "meant to inspire kids to explore and pursue their interests in Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math." Created by MGA Entertainment, it was inspired by their brand Project Mc², a company that encourages girls to explore S.T.E.A.M. with experiment sets, dolls, and a Netflix Original Series, Project Mc². Produced from 2015 through 2017, the series focuses on S.T.E.A.M.: Four girls—McKeyla McAlister and her three friends—work for the government in a secret spy organization that is trying to protect the world. It is named NOV8—pronounced "innovate"—which explains why National S.T.E.M./S.T.E.A.M. Day is held on November 8. Most of the fastest-growing occupations involve S.T.E.A.M., and an early interest in it can help young people later in life. The day motivates kids to pursue these subjects, with a specific goal of encouraging girls to build an interest in them, as there is a gender gap in S.T.E.A.M.-related fields.

SU News

Film Review: What led to Carlos Del Rio-Wilson’s 4 interceptions? (DO; Alandt)

Following an undisclosed injury to Garrett Shrader, Carlos Del Rio-Wilson started his first game since last year’s loss at Pittsburgh on Nov. 5.

Offensive coordinator Jason Beck moved to the sidelines for the first time this season to have better communication with the backup quarterback. Babers praised Del Rio-Wilson after the game and said he threw deeper balls than Shrader has been able to make this year.

But in the end, Del Rio-Wilson turned in one of the worst performances an SU quarterback has had in recent memory, going 7-for-17 for 37 yards and four interceptions.

“I just feel bad for him,” Babers said Monday, adding not to judge a player off of one outing.

Here’s what led to each of the turnovers that led the Orange (4-5, 0-5 Atlantic Coast Conference) to their fifth-straight loss:

Tunnel vision leads to 1st pick

Spurred by a healthy dose of option runs, quarterback keepers and run-pass option plays, the Orange reached midfield when Del Rio-Wilson dropped back and surveyed his three receivers. Boston College did a good job clamping down Damien Alford on a wheel route on the outside. But Umari Hatcher blew past his man and called for the ball on the far sideline.

Instead, Del Rio-Wilson hardly went through his progressions. He stared down Isaiah Jones on an eight-yard post route across the middle of the field. Hatcher’s route cut through Boston College’s zone defense — coincidentally right where Del Rio-Wilson ended up throwing the ball.

He was basically throwing into double coverage with the Eagles’ mike linebacker on Jones man-to-man while CJ Clinkscales sat in coverage just in front of the first down marker.

Once Del Rio-Wilson wound up to gun it into an already collapsed window to Jones, all Clinkscales needed to do was take one step forward and make the straightforward catch.

From the second Del Rio-Wilson received the snap, he watched Jones run his route and didn’t break his gaze for another receiver. If he looked further down the field, he would have realized Hatcher was outside to his right for a wide open shot that would have netted a first down. On the other flank, Alford was about to break away from his man down the sideline.

Alijah Clark on his 1-week, ‘half’ suspension: ‘The point that was supposed to be made was made’ (PS; $; Leiker)

Syracuse football’s Alijah Clark said the “situation” that spurred his suspension last week occurred around Monday, Oct. 30, and that he knew that day he would be unable play defense in Friday night’s game.

Following SU’s loss to Boston College, Dino Babers said that Clark was given a “half” suspension for a violation of team rules. The starting safety could play on special teams but not defense.

Neither Babers nor Clark disclosed what team rule the latter had broken.

Clark, speaking with reporters Tuesday, said he knew when the suspension was handed down by Babers that it would only be for one week.

He said he agreed with Babers’ decision to suspend him because “expectations are expectations, and it doesn’t change for nobody.”

“One thing coach Babers made clear to me was sometimes you gotta go through the consequence to really learn from it,” Clark said. “Really sticking to it, sticking to his word I feel as though made me grow more as a man and outside of football.”

He also clarified a post he made on X, formerly known as Twitter, with two thumbs down in response to a reporter’s post about Babers’ comment on the suspension.

Clark’s post has since been deleted.

How many teams have been to fewer bowl games than SU in Babers era? (PS; $; Carlson)

The odds of Syracuse reaching the postseason plummeted following the Orange’s painful, 17-10 loss to Boston College on Friday.

Syracuse played without its starting quarterback, whose status is uncertain for the rest of the season. It played without its top receiver, who has been out since the second game. The Orange were without at least one, and possibly two, offensive linemen who would have been starters if its entire unit was healthy.

The Orange has shown few signs it can successfully navigate those missing pieces, looking punchless in a fifth-consecutive loss against the Eagles last week.

Syracuse needs to win two of its next three games to become bowl eligible and boost itself up a list composed largely from the worst Power-Five football programs in the country.

Syracuse has been to just two bowl games since Dino Babers took over the program in 2016. The only schools that have appeared in fewer are Arizona, Kansas, Rutgers and Nebraska. Three of those schools have actually qualified this season, while Nebraska is only one win away.

Programs tied with Syracuse at just two bowl appearances over the last seven seasons are Vanderbilt, Colorado, California, Oregon State, Georgia Tech and Illinois. Oregon State has already qualified this year. Georgia Tech likely needs to beat the Orange. The others are in rough shape.

What you need to know about SU football's Week 11 opponent: the Pittsburgh Panthers (cnycentral.com; Hodges)

Allow me to offer a piece of advice for anyone considering themselves a Syracuse Orange football fan: sometimes it's alright to step away and take a break. Now I'll be honest, I'm not a Syracuse Orange football fan. Rather, I'm an observer analyzing what happens on and off of the field, giving opinions based upon what I see.

So, what's my opinion right now? The entire fanbase needs that break.

As for me, the football season rolls on and the Orange go to the city where dreams can be realized or crushed. New York City, site of the Cuse's season-ending Pinstripe Bowl loss to Minnesota last year for a game 100 years in the making against a similarly struggling team, the Pittsburgh Panthers.

Something has to give in this game. Syracuse has lost five straight, Pitt has lost three. Both have been beat down by the ACC's best programs and both are hoping to salvage something from what have been more than disappointing seasons.

So what does Pitt have to offer come Saturday afternoon? Here's what you need to know about the Panthers.

Stop me if you've heard this before: fans clamoring for a coach to get kicked to the curb. If you're being honest you would have stopped me because that's exactly what Syracuse and Pitt fans are doing. For the Orange it's head coach Dino Babers. for the Panthers it's offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti Jr.

Their complaints are legitimate.

The Panthers are the worst scoring offense in the ACC (20.7 PPG) and part of that has to do with their lack of a rushing attack. They grind out just over 100 yards per game on the ground, good for second worst in the conference. Meantime the Panthers passing attack isn't anything to write home about either. Their original starting quarterback, Phil Jurkovec, was benched and transitioned to tight end midway through the season. He was replaced by Penn State transfer Christian Veilleux who has since drawn the ire of the Pitt fanbase.

Another stat to keep an eye one: time of possession. Pitt is second worst in that category this year, and while in most cases that would bode well for the Orange it's my job to inform you that the worst team in that category is the Orange.

Pittsburgh, Syracuse limp into meeting at Yankee Stadium (cbssports; FLM)

Pitt and Syracuse have taken a beating in Atlantic Coast Conference play this season, leaving both teams longing for a victory Saturday when they meet at Yankee Stadium in New York City.

The Panthers (2-7, 1-4) have lost three straight games, including the last two by a combined margin of 82-14. They fell to Florida State 24-7 last weekend, although the game was tight until the Seminoles scored two touchdowns in the final four minutes of the third quarter.

Pitt ranks 110th in the nation in scoring with just 20.7 points a game, much to the dismay of coach Pat Narduzzi.

"We've got to get the ball to the right guy at the right time, and again, it's always something you can do better," Narduzzi said. "When you watch the tape, you look back (and think), 'Hindsight, man, I wish we would have tried that.' You don't get a second chance."

Syracuse (4-5, 0-5) is the only winless team in ACC play, as the offense has disappeared following a 4-0 start.

Carlos Del Rio-Wilson started last week's 17-10 loss to Boston College in place of Garrett Shrader (undisclosed injury). Del Rio-Wilson battled through injuries of his own to go 7-for-17 for 37 yards, with four interceptions.

Syracuse coach Dino Babers has not made any decisions about Saturday's starting quarterback, although he realizes the coaching staff and players need to take advantage of available opportunities.

"What we have to do is put those guys in a situation to make plays," Babers said. "And then they have to be able to go out there and make the plays. Those kids, I thought, were in position to make plays. We just didn't make enough plays to win the game."

(soundcloud.com; radio; The 315)

Syracuse football safety Justin Barron joins Brian Higgins to discuss his leadership style during the team's slump, how he's been playing through injury, and more.

Pitt Football | Syracuse Week | Tiquan Underwood | 11/7/2023 youtube; video; UPMC Pitt)

Pitt Football | Syracuse Week | Tiquan Underwood | 11/7/2023

Syracuse football is spiraling, is Dino Babers on an even hotter seat than before? #shorts #syracuse (youtube; podcast; Kenny)

Syracuse football is spiraling, is Dino Babers on an even hotter seat than before?

Trying to stop skid, SU football faces quarterback issues (spectrumlocalnews.com; MacWilliam)

If a mid-season nose dive in the standings wasn’t enough, Syracuse football now faces uncertainty under center.

Garrett Shrader sat out the 4-5 Orange’s loss to Boston College on Friday, and coach Dino Babers said he’s unsure if Shrader will be available for the rest of the season. Shrader has thrown for 1,508 yards and nine touchdowns this season with a 136.74 QB rating.

In Shrader’s place, Carlos Del Rio-Wilson completed 7 of 17 passes against BC, but for just 37 yards, and he was intercepted four times. The Orange — now 0-5 in Atlantic Coast Conference play — had just 246 yards of total offense in the loss, having the ball for just 17 minutes and 44 seconds to Boston College’s 42:16.

Compounding the offensive issues: Del Rio-Wilson is also dealing with an injury, suffered in Friday’s loss. Babers said Monday that the Orange have to find ways to help the QB out if he’s the starter moving forward.

Syracuse will attempt to stop a five-game losing streak Saturday at Yankee Stadium when it faces 2-7 Pittsburgh. The Panthers have lost their last three games since an Oct. 14 home win over No. 11 Louisville, but two of those losses have been to Top 25 teams.

Kickoff is 3:30 p.m. Saturday in the Bronx.

Syracuse football: Duke’s Mayo Bowl O’Meter update (TNIAAM; Chiappone)

It wasn’t too long ago since optimism was high for the Syracuse Orange football team and our beloved Duke’s Mayo Bowl O’Meter.

Actually... who am I kidding: it’s been nothing but misery since September 23. Following a promising start, Syracuse’s crash down to Earth continues heading into this weekend’s game versus the Pittsburgh Panthers. The Orange sit at 4-5 on the year and winless in the ACC, needing at least two wins in their final three games to clinch a bowl game and be a part of the #BRANDED content we’ve got in store.

The Orange’s twang is slowly running out, and the lack of morale is shown with the needle not moving (yet again) on our Bowl O’Meter:

ACC News

Louisville football rises in latest CFP rankings ahead of ACC home finale vs. Virginia (yahoo.com; Cubit)

Louisville’s first season under Jeff Brohm has featured a level of success the Cardinals haven’t seen since 2016.

For the first time since then, the Cardinals are part of the College Football Playoff rankings, coming in Tuesday night at No. 11. U of L debuted in the rankings at 13th last week but moved up two spots after a 34-3 home win over Virginia Tech. It’s the program’s best ranking since being 11th on Nov. 20, 2016.

Louisville’s No. 11 spot is the same as its No. 11 ranking in the US LBM coaches and AP Top 25 polls. The Cardinals are one of three ACC teams in the rankings, with North Carolina debuting at No. 24 and undefeated Florida State at No. 4.

The Cardinals will look to keep climbing in the rankings heading into the final weeks of the regular season. U of L has a home game against Virginia at 7:30 p.m. Thursday before traveling to Miami on Nov. 18. They wrap up the regular season by hosting Kentucky in the Governor’s Cup on Nov. 25, with hopes of bringing the trophy back to town for the first time since a 44-17 victory over the Wildcats in 2017.

Besides the Governor’s Cup, Louisville has high postseason goals, with a strong chance of making the ACC championship game on Dec. 2 in Charlotte, North Carolina. The Cardinals also likely will play in a New Year’s Six bowl game, with projections placing the team in the Orange Bowl. They’ve played in the Miami-based bowl game once, beating Wake Forest 24-13 to cap an 11-1 season in 2007. Their other New Year’s Six bowl appearances came in 1991 (Fiesta Bowl) and 2013 (Sugar Bowl).

Holliday: NC State whips Miami, stays in ACC title race :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsportsfan.com; Hollliday)

Dave Doeren could not conceal the excitement after his Wolfpack took down Miami. “Chancellor Woodson, turn on the red light "Big Dog,” Doeren shouted following a live interview on the ACC Network. The win was No. 78, one more than the legendary Earle Edwards, whose teams won five ACC titles and secured the program’s first bowl victory in 1967.

“It’s been a great journey,” Doeren said after the game. “I’m really glad it’s behind me now.”

Miami spent Saturday night playing from behind, NC State saw to that. Yes, the Hurricanes kicked a first quarter field goal, but for the second straight week NC State scored the first touchdown in a game against a favored opponent. The way the Wolfpack plays defense, that first touchdown can mean a lot.

Offensive coordinator Robert Anae has taken some heat for NC State’s inconsistent production, but that first touchdown drive was vintage Anae. Considered one of the more creative play callers in the ACC, Anae put the ball in the hands of speedy K.C. Concepcion on the jet sweep. The play gained 36 yards. M.J. Morris then passed 15 yards to Terrell Timmons, just his ninth reception of the season. Anae then called for a direct snap to Concepcion, which gained nine yards, and then a pass to a receiver even more under the radar than Timmons! Reserve linebacker Jordan Poole made his debut on offense, and caught Morris’ 12 yard toss – Poole’s first catch in a Wolfpack uniform went for a touchdown.

https://www.si.com/college/georgiatech/football/acc-football-predictions-for-every-week-11-game (SI; Caudell)

One spot in the ACC Championship was clinched last week when Florida State defeated Pitt and there are a group of teams vying for the other spot. Louisville is in the driver's seat going into their final two ACC games against Virginia and Miami, but they will have to avoid being upset in those games.

Duke, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Boston College, NC State, and Virginia Tech all have two conference losses and are trying to remain in the conference title picture in the final weeks.

ACC play begins on Thursday this week with Virginia and Louisville and will continue throughout the day on Saturday.

I was 5-2 last week, with my losses being Notre Dame and Miami and that brought my record to 60-19 for the year.

Note: I will be writing a full matchup breakdown and preview for Georgia Tech and Clemson later this week.

So who wins this week's games in the ACC? All odds are courtesy of Caesars

Thursday, Nov. 9th

Virginia at Louisville (-20.5) (7:30, ESPN)

The Cardinals can move one step closer to clinching a spot in the ACC title game if they can beat Virginia this week. The Cavaliers appeared to be making progress after a win over North Carolina and a close loss to Miami, but they were throttled last week at home by Georgia Tech and now their hopes of making a bowl game are officially over. Louisville is at home and will come out motivated to move closer to a big matchup in the ACC Championship game against Florida State.

Final Score: Louisville 38, Virginia 7

Saturday, Nov. 11th

Virginia Tech (-1.5) at Boston College (12:00 p.m. ACC Network)

Virginia Tech was in the midst of the ACC title race but got thumped by Louisville last week, slowing the momentum this program had created. Boston College got bowl-eligible by defeating Syracuse last week and has won five in a row. I think the Hokies are the better team, but playing at home will give the edge to Boston College in this old Big East Rivalry. Quarterback Thomas Castellanos will make enough plays for the Eagles in this game for them to win.

Final Score: Boston College 27, Virginia Tech 24

NC State (-2.5) at Wake Forest

NC State is coming off of two upset wins against Miami and Clemson and the defense is playing lights out. The offense lacks weapons outside of true freshman wide receiver Kevin Concepcion, but they were able to do just enough to beat the Hurricanes and the Tigers and now will face a less-than-imposing Wake Forest defense. Wake is trying to make another bowl game under Dave Clawson and they need this game, but the Wolfpack defense will play well and win a low-scoring game.

Final Score: NC State 20, Wake Forest 13

Miami at Florida State (-14.5) (3:30 ABC)

One of the sport's best rivalries is one of the most intriguing games on the slate for Saturday. Miami's offense has cratered in ACC play after looking strong to start the year and quarterback Tyler Van Dyke has not looked the same, leading some to wonder if he could be benched. Florida State is four wins away from getting back to the College Football Playoff and their offense is going to be a problem for a Miami defense that allows plenty of explosive plays. Anything can happen in a rivalry game, but I think Florida State wins going away in Tallahassee this weekend.

Final Score: Florida State 41, Miami 17

Pittsburgh (-3) at Syracuse (3:30 ACC Network)

This game is going to be something to behold. Arguably the two worst teams in the ACC will face each other this weekend and both teams need a win. Syracuse can still get to a bowl game but are one of the most injured teams in the country and head coach Dino Babers is on the hot seat. Pitt is 2-7 after a loss to Florida State and now the Panthers can't get to a bowl game. I lean toward Syracuse in this game because I don't think I trust Pitt to be a road favorite, but it is anyone's guess who wins this game.

Final Score: Syracuse 24, Pitt 21

More Links and Stuff 2023 Nov 7th (RX; HM)

More Links and Stuff 2023 Nov 7th

From USA Today...

Week 10 Misery Index

Most-miserable fan base: Florida Gators
However, among "Four more in misery" we find...

Syracuse

Dino Babers spent the first 24 years of his career bouncing around 10 different schools as an assistant without getting much of a look to be a head coach. Then, almost out of nowhere, he got three head coaching jobs in the span of five years and ended up landing the big payday at Syracuse. That dramatic change in trajectory happened largely because Babers was at Baylor for the beginning of the Art Briles era, a time when every moribund program in college football wanted to replicate that offense.
...and among the "Miserable but not miserable enough", we find...

Miami (Fla.)

Here at the Misery Index, we have spent a lot of time chronicling Mario Cristobal’s struggles with game day decision-making and clock management. We haven’t talked enough about how badly they’re still underperforming in Cristobal’s second year. The Canes’ 20-6 loss at North Carolina State — and not one of the better NC State teams of recent vintage, by the way — is an eyebrow raiser. If you take out the fluke loss to Georgia Tech where Cristobal mangled the end-of-game clock situation, Miami fans could have squinted hard and figured out a way to call this season a success. But at 6-3, with Florida State and Louisville next up, how much progress has actually been made from last year when they went 5-7? Even if some reasonable Miami fans knew this would be a long process, there was at least hope in quarterback Tyler Van Dyke playing like the first-round NFL draft prospect some people consider him to be. Instead, he's thrown 10 interceptions over his last four games.

Both schools have seen better days.

What's one reason Boston College is playing so well lately?

A: Elijah Jones is playing shut-down corner!

ACC Fumblerooski 2022-23 (RX; HM)

ACC Fumblerooski 2022-23

This seems like a serious but fixable problem...

Most fumbles since the start of 2022:
Clemson, 43
Pitt, 41
Nevada, 40
Nebraska, 39
Toledo, 39
Arkansas, 38
Auburn, 38
Texas A&M, 37
Boston College, 37#goacc
— ️♈️ (@ADavidHaleJoint) November 7, 2023
Imagine having the top 2 and three of the top 9 worst teams when it comes to fumbling... that's what the ACC has right now, apparently. Want to explain why Clemson and Pitt both took a huge step back this season, or why BC is still not bowl-eligible yet despite excellent play in other areas? Fumbles!
Indeed, there are only four other P5 teams among the top 9 in terms of fumbling the football, meaning nearly half of the teams with the worst cases of fumblitis are ACC teams!
This year alone, Clemson has lost 5 fumbles in just 3 losses:
Clemson fumbles lost

• vs Duke (2)
  • vs FSU (1)
  • vs Miami (2)

CFP Top 25 - 2023 Nov 7 (RX; HM)

CFP Top 25 - 2023 Nov 7

The latest CFP ranking is out...

#4 Florida State (same)
#11 Louisville (up 2)
#24 N. Carolina (NR)

If the playoffs were today...

#1 Ohio State vs #4 Florida State - Rose Bowl (same)
#2 Georgia vs #3 Michigan - Sugar Bowl (same)

Other New Year's Six Participant(s):

#11 Louisville vs #8 Alabama - Orange Bowl (same)

BOTTOM LINE

This past weekend, Florida State beat Pitt 24-7* on the road, Louisville beat Virginia Tech at home 34-3, and the Tar Heels beat FCS Campbell at home 59-7.

FPI Ranking 2023 Nov 7 (RX; HM)

FPI Ranking 2023 Nov 7

Here's the latest FPI Ranking from ESPN:

RankTeamConf.
1Ohio State BuckeyesBig Ten
2Michigan WolverinesBig Ten
3Oregon DucksPac-12
4Penn State Nittany LionsBig Ten
5Alabama Crimson TideSEC
6Georgia BulldogsSEC
7Florida State SeminolesACC
8Texas LonghornsBig 12
9Oklahoma SoonersBig 12
10LSU TigersSEC
11Kansas State WildcatsBig 12
12Notre Dame Fighting IrishIndy
13Ole Miss RebelsSEC
14Tennessee VolunteersSEC
15Washington HuskiesPac-12
16Texas A&M AggiesSEC
17USC TrojansPac-12
18Louisville CardinalsACC
19Oregon State BeaversPac-12
20Clemson TigersACC
21Utah UtesPac-12
22SMU MustangsAmerican
23North Carolina Tar HeelsACC
24Missouri TigersSEC
25Miami HurricanesACC
RankTeamConf.
26UCLA BruinsPac-12
27Oklahoma State CowboysBig 12
28Duke Blue DevilsACC
29TCU Horned FrogsBig 12
30Arizona WildcatsPac-12
31Auburn TigersSEC
32Texas Tech Red RaidersBig 12
33Wisconsin BadgersBig Ten
34Kansas JayhawksBig 12
35Arkansas RazorbacksSEC
36West Virginia MountaineersBig 12
37UCF KnightsBig 12
38Kentucky WildcatsSEC
39Florida GatorsSEC
40Maryland TerrapinsBig Ten
41Iowa HawkeyesBig Ten
42Iowa State CyclonesBig 12
43South Carolina GamecocksSEC
44Rutgers Scarlet KnightsBig Ten
45Troy TrojansSun Belt
46James Madison DukesSun Belt
47NC State WolfpackACC
48Tulane Green WaveAmerican
49Georgia Tech Yellow JacketsACC
50Mississippi State BulldogsSEC
RankTeamConf.
51Liberty FlamesCUSA
52Syracuse OrangeACC
53California Golden BearsPac-12
54Minnesota Golden GophersBig Ten
55Fresno State BulldogsMtn West
56Memphis TigersAmerican
57Air Force FalconsMtn West
58Virginia Tech HokiesACC

https://www.si.com/college/louisville/football/acc-power-rankings-2023-week-11 (SI; McGavic)

You might as well pencil in the ACC Championship matchup at this point.

Even with one league game still left on their schedule, Florida State officially clinched a berth in the conference championship, getting back to Charlotte, N.C. for the first time since 2014.

While the second berth has yet to be clinched, it's looking more and more likely that it will be Louisville squaring off with the Seminoles. In theory, schools like Duke, North Carolina, Virginia Tech and a few others still have a shot, but the Cardinals are the overwhelming favorite to battle FSU.

Anyways, it was another chaotic week in the Atlantic Coast Conference. So where do things currently stand in the conference following ten weeks of football? Check out our week 11 ACC power rankings below:

1. Florida State Seminoles

Record: 9-0, 7-0 ACC
Last Week's Ranking: No. 1
Week 10 Result: W, 24-7 at Pitt

There's just something about Pittsburgh that makes it difficult for highly-ranked teams. Alas, Florida State was able to avoid a similar fate that Louisville had a few weeks back, even though they were short their top tow offensive weapons. But when you have a QB like Jordan Travis and a defense like that, the Seminoles were able to overcome a slow start and punch their ticket to Charlotte.

2. Louisville Cardinals

Record: 8-1, 5-1 ACC
Last Week's Ranking: No. 2
Week 10 Result: W, 34-3 vs. Virginia Tech

Speaking of Charlotte, meet the team who - in all likelihood - will meet FSU there. Louisville's two offensive weapons were also out or limited, but that didn't stop backup RB Isaac Guerendo from running roughshod over Virginia Tech. Add in a defense who has been playing lights out over the last couple weeks, and you get a team that has out-scored their last two opponents 57-3. The Cardinals are hot.

3. North Carolina Tar Heels

Record: 7-2, 3-2 ACC
Last Week's Ranking: No. 4
Week 10 Result: W, 59-7 vs. Campbell

At least North Carolina didn't have to deal with any late game drama this week. Considering they were on a two-game losing streak, this buy game was exactly what the Tar Heels needed. QB Drake Maye, RB Omarion Hampton and that defense all looked good. We'll see if this can parlay this into their rivalry game with Duke.

4. NC State Wolfpack

Record: 6-3, 3-2 ACC
Last Week's Ranking: No. 6
Week 10 Result: W, 20-6 vs. Miami

NC State's defense continues to single-handedly win them games. Miami might not be operating at their peak efficiency with how talented they are, but holding them to 292 yards and forcing four turnovers is impressive. We'll see how the Wolfpack's offense fairs the rest of the way now that they're bowl eligible, especially with the news that QB M.J. Morris will be redshirting.

5. Duke Blue Devils

Record: 6-3, 3-2 ACC
Last Week's Ranking: No. 5
Week 10 Result: W, 24-21 vs. Wake Forest

Duke certainly looks like a different team with Riley Leonard sidelined. It also doesn't help their backup QB is also hurt and are having to roll with option No. 3. Still, the Blue Devils did what good teams do, and found a way to win at the end via game-winning field goal. Even if Wake Forest did outplay them for most of the night.

Virginia Tech Hokies vs. Louisville Cardinals: the Good, Bad, and Ugly of Things (gobblercountry.com; Schneider)

The Only Sounds Heard from this One Were Groans

Before I cop to an error in judgement (as in putting hope and heart above my brain) I do have to say that there is one good thing about Saturday’s football fiasco for the Hokies. It’s over and there are three games against peer teams left before the season wraps. The bad news in that is that two of them are on the road, and the Hokies haven’t won on the road in quite a while.

On a practical level, as an overall observation, it’s obvious that this team is still in an inconsistent state of capabilities. That makes it nearly impossible to reliably face better teams and present real challenges on the field.

Let’s go through the pile and see what needs to be done to sort out the final three games of the 2023 season. No, there won’t be any talk of bowls, booger, or not. The Hokies just aren’t consistent (some will say ‘good’) enough to do that. The upcoming game with BC isn’t going to be easy, and Tech is rolling into Chestnut Hill with a tiny advantage in the odds that doing better against Louisville would have pushed up a bit.

But that’s for the Preview. Let’s stroll through the final wrap of the weekend disaster. We need to, but really don’t feel great about it, we shouldn’t be here at this point in the season.

Was There Any Good?

Aside from the reality that the game is now over, and in the books, the stark thought is, frankly, a loud ‘NO’. This might be the first loss where there just weren’t enough good things going on to even mention some marginally good items. John Love nailed his single scoring opportunity, and Bhayshul Tuten actually gaining some positive yardage, were something good, but so small in the grander breakdown that they just got overwhelmed… sort of like the offensive line.

Maybe the only ‘good’ that comes out of the Louisville game is: “Well, let’s not do that, again.

The Catalog of Bad

The Hokies lost this one at the coin toss. (Tech continues to defy the 50/50 odds of a coin flip and lose them in stultifying numbers.) Given the defense’s reaction to Jeff Brohm’s offensive scheme, winning it and deferring might not have worked out well, either.

An Offensive Roadmap in Crayon

The Hokie Offense was not prepared, at all, for Louisville’s defensive approach. On the first play Kyron Drones missed an obvious blitz and so did the entire left side of the offensive line. There was no protection adjustment and Drones ended up pasted deep in the backfield before he could even make the first read or plant his feet. It looked like a deep shot pattern set that might have had a bubble outlet. But Louisville did to Drones what the Hokies needed to do to Plummer. Louisville spent the entire game in the box, sending the student body after Tech’s backfield. Louisville routinely had a single safety over, and nearly every player in the box or within a few yards of the box. They blitzed nearly all the time, and keyed any player in the backfield who could run. The pass rush just blew through blocks or got off them so quickly that Drones didn’t have a chance to go anywhere meaningful with the ball. After the first drive failure the entire offensive game plan needed to be dumped in the trash, and it wasn’t.

Other

FDDZLVUR55FFTOM5V3GS2SZFQM.jpg

Adelita's just opened in Camillus. (Teri Weaver | tweaver@syracuse.com)Teri Weaver

A Rochester-based restaurant chain is expanding into Onondaga County for the first time (PS; Doran)

A new restaurant has just opened in the former Applebee’s in Camillus.

Adelita’s Mexican Cocina & Tequila opened over the weekend in Camillus Commons, at 5241 W. Genesee St. Plans for the restaurant were first announced in February.

Adelita’s operates two other restaurants - one in the Pittsford Plaza in Rochester and another in Eastview Mall in Victor, near Rochester. The restaurant chain is family owned.

Applebee’s in Camillus closed in October 2020.

Adelita’s officials said they are awaiting their liquor license for the Camillus location, which is expected this week. Meanwhile, the restaurant is serving its Mexican cuisine, offering a varied menu.

YB347PDQ5NCVBCJPUXCINFQCRY.jpg

A mix of rain and ice is expected Wednesday night across parts of Upstate New York. This map shows the extent and expected accumulation of ice through Thursday morning.National Weather Service

Upstate NY’s first messy wintry mix could hit this week (PS; Coin)

The first wintry mix of the season for Upstate New York could arrive midweek.

“A period of light snow and/or freezing rain is becoming increasingly likely Wednesday night into Thursday morning, especially across the higher elevations,” said the National Weather Service office in Albany.

The weather service has issued a hazardous weather alert for nearly all of Upstate east of Syracuse.

As is typical with early-season storms, the impacts from this one will be largely dependent on elevation. Valleys and plains are likely to get just rain, while ice is more likely to accumulate in higher elevations like the Adirondacks, Catskills and hilltops in the Southern Tier.

A warm front is expected to move in from the south on Wednesday, That front is carrying moisture that will start off as rain and then possibly turn into wet snow or ice as temperatures fall Wednesday night into Thursday morning.

Rain and ice instead of snow are more common during warm winters, like last year’s. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the parent agency of the weather service, predicts that this winter will also be warmer than normal in Upstate New York due to an El Nino in the eastern equatorial Pacific Ocean.

Private forecasting company Accuweather also predicts Upstate New York will be warmer than average this winter, but will still see more snow than it has in the past few seasons.

Last edited: