Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - For Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday For Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

101814_S_WakeForestFootball_MargaretLin_PE-133.jpg

Clemson Game Gives AJ Long a Chance to Solidify His Grip on the SU QB Position (DO; Klinger)

AJ Long has packed a lot of firsts into a two-week stretch and his next one could be the most important of them all.

His first college appearance yielded his first touchdown pass in a loss to then-No. 1 Florida State on Oct. 11. His first start brought his first touchdown run and collegiate win in Syracuse’s 30-7 blowoutof Wake Forest last weekend.

Each injects a little more life into a team clawing out of early-season irrelevancy. And now Long has a chance to transformthe guarded optimism that accompanies a true freshman into a more solidified spot.

SU (3-4, 1-2 Atlantic Coast) travels to No. 21 Clemson (5-2, 4-1) on Saturday, which will be Long’s first real test as a starter and first opportunity to make a marquee victory his own. A win against the Tigers looks a bit more attainable after their narrow 17-13 win over Boston College last week, and would push Long from Syracuse’s freshman quarterback to Syracuse’s quarterback.

“It’s a dream that I’ve accomplished,” Long said before the Wake Forest game. “At the same time, I know it’s not my team. I wouldn’t be in this situation had Terrel (Hunt) not got hurt.

16141079-mmmain.jpg

Is AJ Long a Better Passer From the Pocket or On the Run? (PS; Bailey)

In the weeks preceding the game, SU head coach Scott Shafer and offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Tim Lester praised Long's ability to avoid pass rushers while keeping his eyes locked downfield. It was easy to see why.

But to fully understand how effective he was on the run compared to in the pocket, Syracuse.com went back and charted all of Long's throws in the last two games.

Let's take a look at his lines in the pocket and on the run:

AJ Long's stats in the pocket and on the run
Place.C/A.YardsTDsINTsCompletion %Accuracy*YPA
Pocket30/4222321
On run8/171150147.13.69

*Accuracy score is ranked 1-5 (5: On the numbers/perfect throw, 4: Should catch, 3: Catchable, 2: Borderline uncatchable, 1: Uncatchable). Throwaways and tipped balls are not counted.

16141706-mmmain.jpg

I Hope the Official Is Apologizing to Austin After Missing the Illegal Helmet to Helmet Hit That Knocked Wilson Out of the Game

SU Football Injury Update: Austin Wilson, Ivan Foy Remain Sidelined in Practice (PS; Mink)

Syracuse football's weekly injury report will be finalized and released Thursday night, but a couple of offensive players seem like safe bets to miss Saturday's game at Clemson.

Quarterback Austin Wilson, who started two weeks ago against Florida State and shared time with AJ Long, has not practiced this week, offensive coordinator Tim Lester said Tuesday night.

And starting right tackle Ivan Foy, who has missed the previous three weeks with a couple of lower-leg injuries, "hasn't done anything," Lester said. Head coach Scott Shafer previously said Foy's status would be evaluated week-to-week.

"I haven't seen any inklings on any paper saying he will be back," Lester said.

16141682-mmmain.jpg

SU's Plan to Simulate Death Valley? Blasting the Clemson Fight Song and Silent Snap Counts (PS; Mink)

Syracuse has implemented a few changes to its practice routine this week as it prepares for a raucous atmosphere Saturday night at Clemson.

The Orange has been using a silent snap count and blasting the Clemson fight song through the Carrier Dome speakers during practice this week in an effort to emulate the scene of 80,000-plus fans awaiting it down in Death Valley.

Syracuse previously used these tactics earlier this season before the Notre Dame at MetLife Stadium and last November in the week leading up to the game at Florida State.

Former Players

-23c43dafa44fd793.jpg

Jameel McClain Has Some Fun with Cowboys QB Tony Romo (PS; AP)

New York Giants linebacker Jameel McClain had an amusing exchange with Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo during Sunday's game.

As Romo is at the line of scrimmage, he identifies McClain as the "Mike" linebacker. McClain can be clearly heard during the broadcast yelling back to Romo "I'm not the Mike."

Today is Wednesday my friend. And...thank you so much for continuing this tradition!

You have to get up pretty early to slip one by ol' SmilinBob :cool:

Maybe Tom hasn't posted the Wednesday articles yet?

CTO asked me to edit the site since newspapers and the fancy interwebs no longer care to!

Reactions: 007
Today is Wednesday my friend. And...thank you so much for continuing this tradition!
Thank you. Busy week for me...

Phil D'Abbraccio‏@PhilDAbb 4m4 minutes ago
Dabo Swinney: SU "is coming in and this is a team that I think just played their best game... They have a quarterback who's sparked them."

Phil D'Abbraccio‏@PhilDAbb 3m3 minutes ago
Swinney on Long: "He's got a gunslinger mentality. He throws a nice deep ball... He's made a lot of critical play with his feet."

Phil D'Abbraccio‏@PhilDAbb 2m2 minutes ago
Swinney says the Syracuse defense is better than last year. Name-drops Cam Lynch as one of the ACC's best pass rushers.

Phil D'Abbraccio‏@PhilDAbb 2m2 minutes ago
Swinney says Syracuse is an aggressive defense, pointing to the Wake Forest game. "Makes you really be dialed in."

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 35s
Scott Shafer is about to go on the ACC coaches' teleconference. Will provide updates.

Shafer said that he thinks Clemson QB Cole Stoudt is "finding his way in the offense." Found ways to win against Louisville, BC.

Shafer calls the Dabo swear-out "water over the damn." They've long since made up and laugh about it now.

Shafer on the red-zone struggles: "You're trying to come up with more touchdowns than field goals."

Asked Shafer if team could make a bowl w/out improving red-zone performance (3rd-worst in FBS TD%): "That's not a very good question."

Lester joked about RZ performance last night. "This week we got in a little bit of trouble in the red zone - surprise, surprise."

Phil D'Abbraccio ‏@PhilDAbb 12m
Scott Shafer: CU QB Cole Stoudt has a lot of good tools around him. "They've gone through some learning experiences and found ways to win."

Shafer: AJ Long "wishes he could have a couple reads back... Pleased with the way he competes. He's learning."

Shafer on D: Anytime you have that performance, you feel good about it. Adds that WFU's struggles mean you look at it in relative terms.

Shafer says Clemson's defensive line is one of the best he's seen in years. "These guys are unbelievable up front."

Full quote from Shafer on his defense: "Let’s also stay in the real world, understanding Wake has really struggled on offense this year ... Shafer continued: "As much as I was pleased with that performance, we also have to look at it in relative terms."

Last edited:
The breakdown of Long's passes shows that hopefully he learned one lesson.. One the FSU interception he didnt get OB, he only need to make a 10 yd throw to the sideline and not a 25 yd throw down the field, easier throw and probably avoids a hit since he wouldnt need to slow down and turn his shoulders to make the shorter pass..

he is absolutely correct!! he is calling out the coaches and the players to man up, focus and execution. the tone i sense is he is sick of the bs , and grow up, play smart and mature and take care of business. we really need to get rid of the no huddle--we need to focus,communicate and concentrate. we are not a team that can be spontaneous, and creative. we are to immature.