Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

jamison-crowder-running.jpg

Duke WR AA Candidate Jamison Crowder

Shafer Crowds Jamison Crowder, Duke's Offense (DO; Klinger)

Syracuse faces a No. 22 Duke team that hardly turns the ball over. The Blue Devils have only coughed the ball up five times this season and generally don’t make many mistakes on offense.

In his Tuesday teleconference, SU (3-6, 1-4 Atlantic Coast) head coach Scott Shafer ran the rule over Duke’s (7-1, 3-1) attack, focusing on quarterback Anthony Boone, wide receiver Jamison Crowder and the Blue Devils experienced offensive line.

“I think it starts with the quarterback and they have a big-play guy in Crowder, a very quick agile guy that can make plays both in the quick passing game and down the field,” Shafer said. “They have good balance in their run-to-pass ratios and the different down-and-distance categories.”

Duke Readies to Face Syracuse for First Time as ACC Foes (dukechronicle.com; Elder)

A Duke versus Syracuse matchup with national implications normally means a basketball game, but not this weekend.

What do you think?

The No. 22 Blue Devils will look to stay in contention for a spot in this season's college football playoff by taking care of business against the struggling Orange at the Carrier Dome Saturday at 12:30 p.m.

What do you think?

"Syracuse is an interesting team," Duke head coach David Cutcliffe said. "They've got a lot of veteran players in the locker room. They've got some depth, and they play a lot of people in a lot of areas on offense and defense. They've got some people that can run; this is another big, physical offensive and defensive front."

What do you think?

It is that large Syracuse offensive line and power running game that has the Blue Devils (7-1, 3-1 in the ACC) most worried following a weekend of disastrous run defense against Pittsburgh. The Panthers ran for 394 yards, and tailback James Conners was all but unstoppable, running for 263 yards and three touchdowns on 38 carries.

Duke is fun to watch. The Duke game last week against Pitt was a fun watch. Duke's offense executes really well, and Duke had a KO return for a TD. Pitt had almost 600 yards with over 350 yards on the ground. James Conner rushed for 236 yards alone on 38 carries. Pitt missed a chip shot field goal at the end of regulation that would have won the game (shades of Nova). SU was able to run the ball well earlier in the season with a healthy offensive line, but right now the line is battered. I'm keeping my expectations on the down low, but at the same time I am keen to see if SU can pull off the upset.

Last edited:
Where is Jerome Smith when we need him?

Yes! Jerome Smith was interviewed on the sideline during halftime of the NC State game. I missed the interview. Did anyone catch that? How did that go?

Yes! Jerome Smith was interviewed on the sideline during halftime of the NC State game. I missed the interview. Did anyone catch that? How did that go?

He was on the sidelines with Marquis Spruill. They talked about how they were both on the Atlanta Falcons, had just gotten back from London, and had the weekend off which is why they were at the SU game. Both seemed to be enthusiastic about SU, and were confident that they'd win. Both mentioned that they were on the sidelines trying to "coach up" the players, many of whom they knew.

I think that was right before the pick six. But it was nice to see them out there supporting the team.

He was on the sidelines with Marquis Spruill. They talked about how they were both on the Atlanta Falcons, had just gotten back from London, and had the weekend off which is why they were at the SU game. Both seemed to be enthusiastic about SU, and were confident that they'd win. Both mentioned that they were on the sidelines trying to "coach up" the players, many of whom they knew.

I think that was right before the pick six. But it was nice to see them out there supporting the team.

Thanks, I'll see if I can take a look at that tonight!

Stephen Bailey‏@Stephen_Bailey1 6m6 minutes ago
CB Gerald Robinson tweets that he has decommited from Syracuse. He's the fourth in this class.

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1
Scott Shafer coming on the ACC teleconference in a few minutes. Will provide updates.

Shafer talking positively about Adonis Ameen-Moore. Did well to cut weight, fill his role as a backup.

Shafer called SU's "unselfish brotherhood" through 9 straight games and a coaching change what he loves most about the team.

Shafer said DT John Raymon taking it day by day. "You just feel bad for him, simple as that."

Shafer says Terrel Hunt's injury is day by day, week by week. No timetable update.

Last edited:
Syracuse football's 'next man up' philosophy pushed to the limit (PS: Axe)

The Syracuse offensive line has become a walking MASH unit with several players nowhere near 100%, some not even at 50%, but trying to stay on the field.

Right guard Nick Robinson tried to play against N.C.State but had to leave the game. Michael Lasker, normally a tackle, could not handle the position in his place.

Left guard Rob Trudo has been battling a lower-body injury that has been described to me as "a guy playing on one leg."

Center John Miller has been hampered by nagging injuries, which has put backup Jason Emerich into action at center and guard. Emerich has handled the duties at center OK, but struggles when forced into action at guard.

Omari Palmer has played out of position at right tackle in Ivan Foy's absence. While holding his own as long as could, he is undersized for the position and his struggles were apparent against N.C. State.

An offensive line out-of-sync and hampered by injury creates inconsistency at practice that is spilling over on the field when it counts the most: On game day...

16266940-mmmain.jpg

Daily Orange Sports ‏@DOsports
Duke football head coach David Cutcliffe is joining the ACC coaches' teleconference now. @PhilDAbb will have updates.

Cutcliffe on AJ Long: "He's extremely tough and he's accurate. I think he's a terrific young football player."

Cutcliffe says although Duke and SU didn't play each other last year, he saw SU on tape a lot while scouting common opponents.

Cutcliffe: SU "does a great job of discipline... & competing every down. So you better strap it on & be ready to play. That’s who they are."

Cutcliffe on SU:"Receivers are terrific at catching balls under duress or when they are contested. They seem to win the battle all the time"

ESPN ACC ‏@ESPN_ACC
David Cutcliffe says Scott Shafer has Syracuse disciplined and playing hard. Very experienced group, he adds.

Last edited: