Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

16433663-mmmain.jpg

5 Syracuse Players to Watch in 2015; Ervin Philips Could Be In Line to Start (PS; Bailey)

We started the series off with true freshman linebacker Zaire Franklin yesterday. Today, we'll look at true freshman running back Ervin Philips.

The basics: Philips is listed at 5 feet, 11 inches and 179 pounds. He's carried the ball 42 times, third most among running backs, for 177 yards. He's also caught 14 passes for 48 yards. Playing in all 11 games, Philips has been featured in the team's jet sweep package and also served as the primary kick returner for the first 10 games, averaging 19.1 yards per return.

Why he impresses: Philips is fast. It doesn't take an expert to notice that when he gets going downhill, he moves very quickly. Philips' straightaway speed has only been flashed at times, though, as SU's offensive line has dealt with numerous injuries this season. He's shown some hesitance at times this year — most notably in the kicking game — but has been a refreshing performer amid a group that has struggled this season.

Why he matters in the big picture: Seniors Prince-Tyson Gulley and Adonis Ameen-Moore will be gone this offseason and Philips is on pace to be the leading returning rusher in terms of yards and carries, heading into the Orange's season finale at Boston College. Redshirt sophomores Devante McFarlane and George Morris II appear to be behind Philips, while Class of 2015 verbal commitment Dontae Strickland could also work his way into the mix. It's likely that at least three backs see significant reps, but Philips could be in line to start.

Other

16429730-mmmain.jpg

'Major Concert' Coming to Carrier Dome in 2015. Who Will It Be? (PS; Baker)

On Monday, Dec. 1, Syracuse University and AEG Live will announce a "major concert" coming to the Carrier Dome in 2015.

AEG Live's Senior Vice President Debra Rathwell will host a press conference at 10 a.m. Monday along with several SU officials, to announce the concert.

"This event is anticipated to be one of the biggest Syracuse has seen in years," said a press release from AEG Live.

Right now, that's all we know for sure. But in the meantime, we can make some educated guesses.
Taking all that into account, here's my best guess: Paul McCartney.

-b10190294baa39f9.jpg

Black Friday by the Numbers (PS; Tampone)

Black Friday and the rest of the holiday shopping season is often the make or break period of the year for retailers.

Regardless of what you think of all the hype, stores really do rake in a lot of money around the holidays. Call it rampant consumerism fueled by corporate greed if you want to, but the spending is real.

The predictions and projections about how much money changes hands throughout the season, and on Thanksgiving weekend in particular, are often gaudy. And wrong occasionally, of course.

ACC Week 14 predictions (ESPN)

Syracuse at Boston College: The Eagles were the latest team to nearly upend Florida State last week, but that hasn’t always been a recipe for success afterward. It will be interesting to see if the physical and emotional toll of that loss carries over, but Syracuse certainly hasn’t been playing good football either. BC 33, Syracuse 13

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1
Going to tweet out some notes from last night's interviews.

Tim Lester said Austin Wilson was "back to himself" in practice. His throws were off during bye. Lester talked w/ him about mental approach.

Lester said he still doesn't let Terrel Hunt answer questions in QB meeting room. Knowledge of coverages still way ahead of Long, RS frosh.

Lester said Terrel Hunt continues to help in the booth. Gets frustrated/sad at times during pregame, but helps w/ coverages and coaching.

Lester said he has the playbook for the new offense. He's been running it for years. "It's been sitting on my shelf for two years."

Lester: "I know the ups, the downs, the names. For me, it's more about teaching the coaches before we teach the players."

Lester said he's not sure if he'd rather have bowl practices, but key for players will be mastering verbiage and that can be done off field.

Lester said tweaks have been made over time: "One word makes more sense than another word, it starts with 'S' and it's a strong-side run."

Majority of changes to playbook came in 5 years after working as defensive coordinator at North Central College in 2007.

Lester on offense: "I've had people tell me it's spread. I've had people tell me it's 12 personnel. I've had people tell me it's 20."

Lester said a mobile QB helps in system, but not necessary. Reads/throws more important. "I'd take (Ryan) Nassib in a heartbeat to run it."

Lester said he'd like to call it in booth, but is flexible. Called it on field from 2008-12 as head coach at Elmhurst.

Last edited: