Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

149047%20MAINLAND%20MIAMI%2023.jpg

SU Verbal Commit Keivonnis Davis Visits Syracuse, Being Recruited by George McDonald at NC State (PS; Bailey)

Syracuse defensive end commit Keivonnis Davis visited SU for the first time on an official visit this weekend and came away impressed with the program's "family feel."

Davis initially experienced that atmosphere on his first night in Central New York. The Orange coaching staff, accompanied by wives and children, went with Davis and the seven other recruits who were visiting to Dave & Busters at Destiny USA on Friday.

Davis got to know SU defensive line coach Tim Daoust, his wife, Jennifer, and his daughter, Leona, among other coaches' families.

"That family feel right there was one of the first things I felt," Davis said in a phone interview on Sunday. "Most of the coaches who do have wives, they all invited them."

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Miami (Fla.) Central High School product toured the new Ensley Athletic Center, looked into academic possibilities and met with current Orange players — including former Miami Central linebacker Oliver Vigille. In addition to Daoust, Davis got to chat 1-on-1 with defensive coordinator Chuck Bullough and head coach Scott Shafer.

Davis said the visit made it clear that he would be comfortable attending SU, but he will continue to explore his options and visit schools.

"It would be a perfect situation for me because I could get out and spread my name beyond Miami," Davis said. "It would help guide me down the right path."

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptu1ndkwymzizgy5zwu0ntczmtqwntfjodg4mzvkmge01.jpeg

O'Korn Officially on the Prowl for a Transfer (nbcsports.com; McGuire)

New Houston head coach Tom Hermanis ready to start doing his thing with the quarterback situation at Houston. He will have one fewer option to work with this spring. John O’Korn is now officially on the move. The school confirmed the decision to transfer on Saturday.

The Houston Chronicle reports O’Korn has been given permission to speak to Texas, TCU, Wisconsin and Florida about a potential transfer. If he transfers to another FBS program, he will have to sit out the 2015 season due to NCAA transfer rules.

Earlier this month O’Korn was given permission to speak to four schools – Texas, TCU, Wisconsin and Florida – about a possible transfer.

16548726-mmmain.jpg

More on Possible SU QB Target Hard Working Canuck Michael O'Connor (pennlive.com; Pianovich)

Freshman quarterback Michael O'Connor will seek a transfer from Penn State, the program announced Thursday afternoon.

O'Connor originally committed to the Nittany Lions when Bill O'Brien was the head coach and enrolled at the school in January. Under James Franklin's staff, O'Connor - a 6-foot-5 pro-style passer -- was listed as the third-string quarterback on the depth chart all season behind Christian Hackenberg and fellow freshman Trace McSorley.

"We thank Michael for his contributions to the program," Franklin said in a statement, "and wish him well in his future academic and athletic endeavors."

A native Canadian, O'Connor redshirted this season and will have four years of eligibility remaining wherever he transfers.

O'Connor was one of the most touted pocket passers in the 2014 recruiting class and was tabbed as a four-star prospect from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. where he played for Heisman Trophy winner Chris Weinke. He also had offers out of high school from Michigan State, Mississippi State, Rutgers and Vanderbilt, Franklin's former school.

In the only game action in which Penn State fans got to see O'Connor, he went 11-for-16 for 81 yards in April's Blue-White Game. And when Franklin was asked about his backup quarterbacks last month, he praised O'Connor's work ethic.

When it comes to Davis I still think he wants to go to a bigger school than SU, just by this statement alone,

"It would be a perfect situation for me because I could get out and spread my name beyond Miami," Davis said. "It would help guide me down the right path."

Only time will tell.

It's not going to happen but it would be nice to get Adkins back on the SU staff.