Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

SportsCompilation.jpg

Rebranding Strategy Unifies SU Sports, Proves Effective 10 Years Later (DO; Blum)

Syracuse was a school without a defined identity 10 years ago.

It had upward of 20 different logos, one for each team. Its color schemes were inconsistent from jersey to jersey. The Carrier Dome, its primary home venue, though filled with a sea of people, lacked a color for its fans to distinguish it from the rest.

“We wanted to have a single, systematic branding process that was simplistic in nature, yet represented our sports program across the board,” said Michael Veley, SU’s former associate athletic director for marketing.

So in June of 2004, Syracuse announced its change from the Orangemen and Orangewomen to just simply, the Orange. Every team’s logo would be the S and U interlocking. Every team’s primary color would be orange — the only team in Division I with that distinction at the time.

The change was a culmination of a 24-month project by SU Athletics and Nike to give Syracuse a stronger brand name. After SU renewed its contract with Nike, the company did a study of what the public’s perception of Syracuse was. They conducted focus groups and interviewed students, coaches, fans at the games and even shoppers at the Carousel Center — now known as Destiny USA.

Director of Athletics Daryl Gross pushed the rebranding process along even more when he changed the interlocking SU to the block S logo in 2005, just months after his hire.

ACC News

Four High-Profile Transfers to Watch in the ACC (espn.go.com; Adelson)

Transfers have become as common as uniform changes in college football, but that does not make them any less interesting to discuss.

Four high-profile transfers have decided on different schools in the ACC already, and they could all end up paying big dividends. Two come with baggage and definite risks. So who are they?

Here is a quick look:

Devonte Fields, DE, Louisville. The Cardinals needed to bolster their defensive front with a quality rush end, and they did that with the addition of Fields, a former Big 12 Freshman Defensive Player of the Year. But Fields was dismissed from TCU before the 2014 season after he allegedly assaulted his ex-girlfriend. He ended up at Trinity Valley Community College, where he had 6.5 sacks this past season. He is set to enroll in the summer with two years of eligibility remaining.

Louisville coach Bobby Petrino defended the decision to sign Fields, telling reporters on signing day, “I believe in second chances and sometimes third chances. Every one of them is on an individual basis -- guys on our own team, guys we go out and recruit. You do your research, and you try to make sure that if you have an opportunity to give a young man a second chance, I believe that you should do it.”

Nathan Peterman, QB, Pittsburgh. Peterman is set to enroll in May with two years of eligibility left as a graduate transfer from Tennessee. After failing to win the starting job with the Vols, Peterman decided it was time for a fresh start. He played for Pitt offensive coordinator Jim Chaney at Tennessee in 2012, so the draw was easy. His host during his visit to Pitt was starting quarterback Chad Voytik. Pitt absolutely needed to create competition and depth at the quarterback spot, where it was just Voytik and Trey Anderson last season. Voytik remains the starter, but given the new coaching staff, this will not be a competition in name only.

Last edited:
Wow, talk about ignoring the elephant in the room! Color me Orange, man.

So what happened, they get bored?
The whole rebranding project was done just prior to Dr Gross coming on board. He did not drop the Orangemen and Orangewomen nicknames. Jake did.

Dr Gross and Nike apparently forgot or missed the part in the rebranding where orange would be the primary color for all Syracuse Orange teams.

The story was a strange one...a feel good, pat yourself on the back take for doing something that in fact was never done. The powers that be actually went in the other direction completely regarding colors and consistent branding. SU's uniforms are all over the place...as they have been for many years. Though orange is used less now that it ever has been, at least since I began following SU sports in the early 1970s.

The whole rebranding project was done just prior to Dr Gross coming on board. He did not drop the Orangemen and Orangewomen nicknames. Jake did.

Dr Gross and Nike apparently forgot or missed the part in the rebranding where orange would be the primary color for all Syracuse Orange teams.

The story was a strange one...a feel good, pat yourself on the back take for doing something that in fact was never done. The powers that be actually went in the other direction completely regarding colors and consistent branding. SU's uniforms are all over the place...as they have been for many years. Though orange is used less now that it ever has been, at least since I began following SU sports in the early 1970s.

Yep

ACC ANNOUNCES 2014 ALL-ACC ACADEMIC FOOTBALL TEAM (TheACC)

Riley Dixon, Syracuse, Sr., P, Accounting, Blossvale, N.Y.
Zaire Franklin, Syracuse, Fr., LB, Sport Management, Philadelphia, Pa.
Sean Hickey, Syracuse, Sr., T, Supply Chain Management, Murrysville, Pa.
Cameron Lynch, Syracuse, Sr., LB, Economics, Lawrenceville, Ga.
John Miller, Syracuse, Sr., C, Information Management, Carson, Calif.
Sam Rodgers, Syracuse, Sr-R, LS, Nutrition, State College, Pa.
Rob Trudo, Syracuse, Jr., G, Economics, Farrell, Pa.
*Robert Welsh, Syracuse, Sr., DE, Instructional Design, Bay Shore, N.Y.
*Jarrod West, Syracuse, Sr.-R, WR, Teaching & Curriculum, Bethlehem, Pa.

*Have already obtained undergraduate degree

Nate Mink ‏@MinkNate
9 Syracuse football players grab All-ACC academic honors. Zaire Franklin was the only freshman.

Another note on Franklin. His 44 tackles last year lead all returning players. Holy smokes.

I'm probably reaching an unhealthy stage of man love when it come to Zaire at this point. I loved what he showed on the field last year and to combine his off the field work is just fantastic. I can't wait to watch him another three years.