Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

17052688-mmmain.jpg

SU OL Sean Hickey Sees Justin Pugh as Role Model (nj.com; Powell)

NFL prospects at the Scouting Combine are looking for any edge they can get to keep their head from spinning and impress the teams that want to meet with them. For Syracuse offensive lineman Sean Hickey, leaning on hisformer college teammate Justin Pugh for advice helped him prepare for the week to come.

Hickey, a fifth-year senior, won third team All-ACC honors in 2014, helping to anchor an offensive line that had its fair share of injuries. Hickey is a tackle by trade, and told reporters at the Combine on Wednesday that he's comfortable on both the left and right side.

In fact, when Pugh, now the Giants' right tackle went down with an injury during his junior year, it was Hickey who stepped in at left tackle and held the fort for the Orange. Hickey went as far to say that he modeled his game by watching Pugh, especially in pass protection.

"[Pugh's] a real big influential player for me, especially early on in my career, how I kind of set up my pass blocking game was around him, his pass sets [were] one of the best pass sets that I've seen to this day in college football," Hickey said. "Very smooth, very clean, and I tried to model myself, when I was a young age, after his pass set and the way that he played the game and I thought that helped me in my career, he was a very big part of my career."

ACC News

BC Wants to Emphasize Pass Game This Spring (espn.com; Adelson)

Before Steve Addazio arrived at Boston College, the Eagles went through a revolving door of offensive coordinators.

So when Ryan Day left for the Philadelphia Eagles last month, the last thing Addazio wanted to do was make wholesale changes at that particular spot. So he promoted receivers coach Todd Fitch to offensive coordinator, believing the move to be as seamless a transition as possible.

“I didn’t want someone to come in here and start over again,” Addazio said in a recent phone interview. “It’s been a developed path we’ve been on, so I wanted to make sure we had continuity. I felt our players and our team needed continuity. One of the raps here was -- I forgot how many coordinators they had here over the last six years. That’s unnecessary given the fact that I’m extremely involved in everything that happens on a day to day basis on offense.

One of the biggest challenges for new offensive coordinator Todd Fitch will be breaking in a new starting quarterback.

“Todd had been a very successful coordinator, and I’ve worked with him now for two years. I’m very comfortable with Todd. He’s an experienced, veteran playcaller, has a great, even temperament and is a sharp guy, so I thought that was just a match.”

Other

RochesterSahlensStadium.jpg

Sahlen Stadium in Rochester Hosted the Western regional football semifinals lsat season

Section III, CNS Contemplate Bid on State Football Semifinal Playoffs (PS; Webb)

Section III and Cicero-North Syracuse High School will likely place a bid with the New York State Public High School Athletic Association to host the state football semifinals for the Western region this fall and in 2016.

Executive director John Rathbun of Section III said he's meeting with a group later this week and "all options are on the table fight now."

Last year's semifinals for the Western region were held at Rochester's Sahlen's Stadium.

Kevin Stevens of the Press & Sun-Bulletin of Binghamton called Sahlen's, "the widely loathed Rochester facility."

Section IV in the Binghamton area has already announced plans to bid on the state football semifinals. Why not considering the domination of Maine-Endwell and Chenango Forks.

Syracuse has plenty going for it including its central location and a premier high school facility in Bragman Stadium at C-NS. Section III and C-NS hosted the state football quarterfinals last year.

Pat Spadafore ‏@PatSpadafore Feb 18
Trevor AshI @MaroonsFootball football star, and mom, count on kindness to lighten prep school financial burden. http://ow.ly/JfyS8

"But the Auburn senior came up short on the SAT scores he needed to be eligible for Division I football.

That meant he couldn’t sign on the dotted line two weeks ago when athletes across the country sent in letters of intent to accept scholarship offers.

Ash – an All-Central New York receiver who led the area with 64 catches, 903 yards and 13 touchdowns last season – isn’t ready to give up his dream of playing Division I football.

Trevor Ash was unstoppable in a playoff loss to Henninger in November. (David Lassman | dlassman@syracuse.com)
He and his mother have decided on an expensive detour, one that involves attending and playing football at Milford Academy in New Berlin. It’s a prep school where athletes who need a help in the classroom live and breathe academics and football for 16 weeks each fall.

“I don’t know. I’ve always struggled with tests for some reason,” said Ash, who made Auburn’s honor roll for the fall marking period but scored about 100 points below the 900 he says he needed to be eligible to play Division I football on the NCAA’s sliding scale."

I don't want to sound mean, but you only need a 900 SAT to meet NCAA standards?

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 5m5 minutes ago
Via @MatthewFairburn: Sean Hickey finished 3rd among OL in bench press at the combine. Mizzou's Mitch Morse, Miami's Ereck Flowers beat him.

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 23m23 minutes ago
Hickey said he was expecting mid-to-high-30s in December. Has topped 40, but knew Combine day would be a grind. Not ideal place for PRs.

Stephen Bailey @Stephen_Bailey1 · 27m 27 minutes ago
OL Sean Hickey's 35 reps on the bench press are the most for a former Syracuse player ever at the NFL Combine.

Stephen Bailey @Stephen_Bailey1 · 28m 28 minutes ago
Center Ryan Bartholomew (2011) and defensive end Ryan LaCasse (2006) had 34.

Stephen Bailey @Stephen_Bailey1 · 45m 45 minutes ago
RT @MatthewFairburn: Syracuse OL Sean Hickey bench pressed 225 35 times. That's the third highest total at this point.

I don't want to sound mean, but you only need a 900 SAT to meet NCAA standards?

And that's with the new scoring system they have.