Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

0413liamjpg-6b3812ab1eb20e91.jpg

Red Bank Catholic Tackle Liam Smith Picks Duke Over Syracuse, RU and Virginia (nj.com; Hunt)

Offensive tackle Liam Smith, No. 13 in the NJ.com Top 50, has committed to Duke over finalists Rutgers, Virginia and Syracuse, he told NJ Advance Media on Monday.

"I just thought Duke was the perfect fit for me," said Smith. "It had everything that I wanted in my school — the great academics. I know I'll get a great education there and the program is really exciting, right now. They are coming off three of the best seasons in history and I really like the coaching staff and the players on the team. I think it's a good group of guys to be around and I think there is a chance for us to be an elite football program in the ACC and in the country going forward, so I was thrilled for the chance to be apart of that."

The 6-5, 280-pound junior received his offer from Duke last year. He also holds offers from Miami (Fla.), Pitt, UConn, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Temple, Yale and Old Dominion.

Other

2014-11-09-kr-AAClass5.jpg

CNS Makes it Official, Hires Dave Kline to be Northstars Football Coach (PS; Webb)

Dave Kline is officially the new varsity football coach at Cicero-North Syracuse High School.

The North Syracuse School District board of education approved the hiring of Kline during its meeting on Monday night.

Kline has served as head football coach at Henninger High School since 2004. He replaces Joe Sindoni, who was not retained after two seasons as head coach at C-NS.

Kline will be paid a salary of $8,545 to coach the Northstars. He could not be reached for comment Monday night

-3f6a06721ad3ef72.jpg

LeMoyne College Nursing Students Get Some Sun Monday Afternoon at Green Lakes State Park

Summer Weather Isn't Sticking Around CNY the Rest of the Week (PS; O'Toole)

Monday was the warmest day of the year so far, hitting 80 degrees in Syracuse. But Central New Yorkers shouldn't count on the summer-like weather to stick around.

A cold front crossed the region and brought rain overnight. As the front passes, high pressure will push down from Canada with "fair weather" Tuesday and Wednesday, the National Weather Service said.

Temperatures are expected to drop 20 degrees, into the low 60s for a high, the weather service said. The high temperature by the end of the week and weekend will be in the high 50s, if the forecast stays true.

Your forecast

• Today: Partly sunny, then gradually becoming sunny. West wind 6 mph to 11 mph. High near 60.
    • Tonight: Clear. West wind 6 mph to 8 mph. Low around 34.
    • Wednesday: Sunny, light and variable winds during the day. Clear at night. High near 61. Low around 33.
    • Thursday: Mostly sunny with a 20 percent chance of showers after 1 p.m.; a 40 percent chance of rain at night. High near 64. Low around 47.
    • Friday: Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of rain during the day; a 30 percent chance of rain at night. High near 59. Low around 44.

alanna_jones_nw.jpg

JD Golfer's College Signing Helps Fulfill Grandtaher's Legacy (PS; Weidner)

The earliest golfing memories Alanna Jones can conjure up are of hitting balls with her older sisters from the end of her grandparents’ driveway and into a neighbor’s yard.

“I’ve been golfing for as long as I can remember. Pretty much from the moment I started walking,” the Jamesville-DeWitt senior said last week.

Golf has always been a family affair for Alanna, the fourth of five Jones sisters from DeWitt.

And while her travels include a visit with the legendary Tiger Woods, whom she received a private golf lesson from in 2005, Jones will think more about her family – especially her late grandfather, Ernie Jones – Wednesday afternoon when she signs a national letter of intent to play golf at Long Island-Post University.

Alanna’s parents, Ron and Wilhemina Jones, believe she is the first African-American from the area to earn a college scholarship in golf.

Longtime Syracuse Golf Association junior program director Barbara Moon, who has been a mentor to Jones, and her coach at J-D, longtime area pro Joe Tesori, can’t think of another African-American player to receive a scholarship for golf.

Carlson once again bringing the bright and shiny outlook. Can he find another job, please?
I can tell you with 100% certainty (without naming specific names) that his negativity is definitely being noticed by some players/recruit types.

jekelish said:
I can tell you with 100% certainty (without naming specific names) that his negativity is definitely being noticed by some players/recruit types.

I miss our old guys. They would tell it like it is - but always with the hope it would get better.