Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

christian-colonpng-ad751681150ed45b.png

Christian Colon At Recent Visit to Tennessee

3-Star DT Christian Colon Buys Robert Washington's Vision for Future of SU Football (PS; Bailey)

Robert Washington is hitting the recruiting trail hard for Syracuse.

Since verbally committing to the Orange on Saturday, the four-star running back has been reaching out to other highly touted recruits he's close with and pitching his vision for SU — a program turnaround reminiscent of Miami's in the 1980s.

"The U wasn't good at all, but then they took a couple friends from the neighborhood," Washington said in an interview on Sunday. "All of the sudden they're going to national championships. It just takes a couple guys to change it. "

Thus far, he's grabbed the attention of four-star defensive back Jared Mayden,three-star athlete Moe Neal and his cousin, Class of 2017 defensive back Aapri Washington.

Next on the list: three-star defensive tackle Christian Colon.

Colon said he's heard from Washington and SU running backs coach DeAndre Smith since the weekend, and he can envision being part of Washington's plan.

"I'm cool with it," Colon said in a phone interview Wednesday night. "I'd do it. It's just getting other players to do it. I'd love to do it. But at this time in my recruitment, I'm not ready to commit yet."

Other

Latest on The Future of I-81 Through Syracuse: State DOT Rejects Tunnel Suggestions, Will Look at Other Tunnel Solutions (PS; Editorial Board)

The state Department of Transportation sensibly rejected the concept of a tunnel/boulevard hybrid to replace the Interstate 81 viaduct through downtown Syracuse.

But the idea of a tunnel isn't dead yet.

On Wednesday, DOT issued its final scoping report, with a handful of options that will be studied in more depth.

Option 1 – doing nothing – is not really an option. The elevated highway is reaching the end of its useful life and something needs to be done to replace it. The "no build'' alternative is on the list as a baseline against which to compare the other options.

Option 2 is building a new viaduct that meets current safety standards. In a word, wider.

Option 3 is now called the Community Grid Alternative. This is actually two options – widening Almond Street into a boulevard, or narrowing Almond Street to push traffic onto the existing street network. In either case, highway traffic would be diverted around downtown Syracuse.

17656374-large.jpg

-3e28b4ae580fe740.JPG

-144c78706b2df0f8.JPG

SUNY ESF Balloon Payload Lost; Might Have Suffered 'Catastrophic Event' (PS; Coin)

The electronics payload of the research balloon launched Wednesday by SUNY Environmental College of Science and Forestry students is lost and might have been destroyed, said the professor of the class that designed it.

ESF professor Giorgos Mountrakis said the research team can't find the payload, which has cameras, a mini-computer and at least two tracking devices.

"All systems were working properly but we think that either a catastrophic event took place that disintegrated the entire payload or that it landed in a 'dead zone,' where there is not cell or radio coverage," he said in an email.

Mountrakis said he and the 15 students who worked on the project will continue analyzing telemetry data to see if they can find the payload. He said he hoped someone will find the small capsule and call ESF to come retrieve it. (See picture at left.) The capsule likely landed east of Cortland after the balloon burst at high altitudes.

"Space can be a unforgiving place, but I am hoping that the engineering lessons will last beyond this experiment," Mountrakis wrote.

CDskAOsW0AA8u_h.jpg

Carvel 'Free Cone Day'" Score Free Soft Serve Ice Cream Today From 3 PM to 8 PM (PS; Axelson)

Carvel ice cream shoppes across the U.S. are dishing out free junior soft serve cones on Thursday, April 30.

You can grab your free cone from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m., and choose between vanilla, chocolate or limited-edition Nutella soft serve flavors.

There are no strings attached, though Carvel does hope guests will help raise money for The American Red Cross by purchasing a $2 coupon book with $20 in savings inside.

Carvel hopes to make a $20,000 donation to the Red Cross this year, which will mark more than $125,000 donated since 2012.

The Nutella flavor, incidentally, will only be available at Carvel locations until May 31, so get your hands on it while you still can.